Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol if you think snowden isn't still working for the NSA. This is all just a distraction to make the government SEEM bad at keeping secrets to better protect their REAL secrets.

Conspiracy nuts often see evidence disproving their conspiracies as evidence supporting them. "Why else would this convenient evidence that totally disproves my conspiracy exist and be public unless it was PART of the conspiracy!? Wake up sheeple!"

At which point you simply stop replying to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

lol if you think snowden isn't still working for the NSA. This is all just a distraction to make the government SEEM bad at keeping secrets to better protect their REAL secrets.

Conspiracy nuts often see evidence disproving their conspiracies as evidence supporting them. "Why else would this convenient evidence that totally disproves my conspiracy exist and be public unless it was PART of the conspiracy!? Wake up sheeple!"

At which point you simply stop replying to them.

Or call for help in case you're afraid they're going to do something monumentally stupid.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Most conspiracy theorists are harmless. That's what makes it funny and not scary.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most conspiracy theorists are harmless. That's what makes it funny and not scary.

I dunno, I'd be terrified to be locked in a room with a birther.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aren't a lot of assassinations and "lone gunmen" types conspiracy nuts? The unibomber sure had some conspiracy-nut political views. "The Gay Agenda" conspiracy results in a hell of a lot of dead or beaten gays around the world. "Vaccinations are a western plot to make us all impotent and control us!" kills a lot of aid workers in Pakistan. Hell I'd say most "terrorists" are inspired mostly by really lovely religious/political conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theorists often scare the poo poo out of me. They make bombs and shoot people. At best vote for awful people who support or at least pander to their views and even get laws passed (look at say laws against "agenda 21" due to UN take-over conspiracies).

Hell one could say a lot of science denial is a form of conspiracy theory. Right, the world's entire science communities have banded together to create the lie of "evolution" simply to turn people away from god. Or climate change is all a huge hoax by the marxist-green conspiracy to destroy freedom and capitalism. These people don't think these ideas are simply wrong, they think they were created maliciously by people who know they are false in order to push their evil agenda.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Many assassinations are performed by people with mental illness. Doesn't mean I'm going to be afraid to be in a room with any random someone with a mental illness (Especially as a therapist that would probably make my job difficult). You can't take the most drastic examples as signs of all of them. Most conspiracy nuts are harmless and aren't going to do a thing.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

E-Tank posted:

I dunno, I'd be terrified to be locked in a room with a birther.

Oh loving hell, yes. At my friend's party celebrating her graduation from college, one of her mother's friends decided to start letting loose with all his birther claptrap, acting hostile, and talking about how anyone who thinks that Obama is actually a US citizen is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to vote (never mind that literally everyone else in the room was a liberal, most of whom voted for Obama). He then spent the entire remainder of the party trying to find a DVD player to commandeer to show off the video he made when he visited his Chinese mail-order bride in China. At their most harmless, people like that are so engrossed in their private reality that they literally can't stop making life uncomfortable for the rest of us that just want to go on living in the real world. I mean, this guy was all talk, but people were literally afraid to engage him because his bluster was already loud and confrontational enough that some of us honestly thought he would resort to physical means if anyone openly disagreed with him.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh loving hell, yes. At my friend's party celebrating her graduation from college, one of her mother's friends decided to start letting loose with all his birther claptrap, acting hostile, and talking about how anyone who thinks that Obama is actually a US citizen is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to vote

Yeah, the most threats on the president's life I've seen have come from the people screaming that he isn't really the president because he's not a natural born citizen, and calling for the deaths of all liberals because they're all 'traitors'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Oh loving hell, yes. At my friend's party celebrating her graduation from college, one of her mother's friends decided to start letting loose with all his birther claptrap, acting hostile, and talking about how anyone who thinks that Obama is actually a US citizen is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to vote (never mind that literally everyone else in the room was a liberal, most of whom voted for Obama). He then spent the entire remainder of the party trying to find a DVD player to commandeer to show off the video he made when he visited his Chinese mail-order bride in China. At their most harmless, people like that are so engrossed in their private reality that they literally can't stop making life uncomfortable for the rest of us that just want to go on living in the real world. I mean, this guy was all talk, but people were literally afraid to engage him because his bluster was already loud and confrontational enough that some of us honestly thought he would resort to physical means if anyone openly disagreed with him.

Why the gently caress was this person even invited.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
There's a new conspiarcy theory about 9/11 coming out of the David Icke forums:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/supertramp-breakfast-america-album-cover-3040330

The album cover of SuperTramp's Breakfast in America "predicted" 9/11 over 20 years before it happened.

quote:

The off-the-wall cover shows a woman with a glass of orange juice in front of a rendition of the New York skyline, all from a plane window.

Forum member 'Eve' posted the pic along with the following cryptic description:

"Album came out in 1979," it reads.

"9/11 reference.

"9/11 was served with breakfast...not to mention the everyday fight for freedom: "Breakfast In America."

'Eve' appears to be convinced and continues:

"Orange juice = fireball," she adds.

"You are looking out of the window of a plane, she is showing the target."

'Eve' even posts a reversed view of the cover which 'appears' to show the 'U' and 'P' of Supertramp flipped around to look like the figures '9' and '11'.

I just don't know anymore...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

:psyduck: It reads like satire.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Until they get popular enough to be mainstream.

:godwin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah this is like gang-stalking level of crazy approaching mental illness.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Baronjutter posted:

Aren't a lot of assassinations and "lone gunmen" types conspiracy nuts? The unibomber sure had some conspiracy-nut political views. "The Gay Agenda" conspiracy results in a hell of a lot of dead or beaten gays around the world. "Vaccinations are a western plot to make us all impotent and control us!" kills a lot of aid workers in Pakistan. Hell I'd say most "terrorists" are inspired mostly by really lovely religious/political conspiracy theories.

The vaccination workers in Pakistan get shot because the Islamists think they're a front for the CIA. Reminder that part of how Osama bin Laden was tracked down was a vaccination program that was a front for the CIA. Not defending them, it's awful that this poo poo is getting people killed AND stopping us from finally irradiating polio, it's just that the Islamists aren't actually crazy on this one point.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lightning Jim posted:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/supertramp-breakfast-america-album-cover-3040330

The album cover of SuperTramp's Breakfast in America "predicted" 9/11 over 20 years before it happened.

This is at the level of "play Dark Side of the Moon and the Wizard of Oz together" but then it somehow translates into real things happening.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Theres nothing harmless about this poo poo at all.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-antivaccination-movement-20140120,0,5576371.story

The toll of the anti-vaccination movement, in one devastating graphic (LA Times headline, not mine)

(Its a map of vaccine preventable measles outbreaks. A good percentage of these can be directly linked to antivax conspiracy campaigns)

Thats not even going into the role of conspiracy theories in the rise of fascism , something that had a death toll in the tens of millions, or the role of conspiracy theories in obstructing mid east peace, or the role of conspiracy theories in Tim McVeighs decision to blow a whole shitload of people up, and so on and so on...

And for reference, its not me godwinning conspiracy theories here. History did that for me.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 23, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

By that logic any one here is at risk of going off and gunning down conservatives at any moment because of their belief that they want to keep the poor down (one that I share, mind you).

Butts McGee
Aug 17, 2012
The Supertramp thing isn't new per se. Political cartoonist and diagnosed Schizophrenic David Dees did a infographic on it... a while ago. It's hard to say when, thanks to his site's abysmal layout. Nothing's dated on it, so who knows.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

By that logic any one here is at risk of going off and gunning down conservatives at any moment because of their belief that they want to keep the poor down (one that I share, mind you).

Yeah but being angry at conservatives isn't stopping mothers from participating in basic routine medical procedures to protect their children from easily preventable diseases.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That album came out in 1978.
23 years before 9/11, a soft rock band knew this was coming?
34 years after the fact, reversing the image "kinda looks like 9/11", sorta... is the basis of this persons conspiracy?

That's god drat amazing. Almost a quarter of a century earlier, a soft rock band from England knew about 9/11. That's...that's incredible.

I wonder what future divinations I'll be able to pull from my 40oz to Freedom cd jacket liner.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given the state of American vs. European healthcare, I'm really surprised by the map of Europe.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Big Beef City posted:

That album came out in 1978.
23 years before 9/11, a soft rock band knew this was coming?
34 years after the fact, reversing the image "kinda looks like 9/11", sorta... is the basis of this persons conspiracy?

That's god drat amazing. Almost a quarter of a century earlier, a soft rock band from England knew about 9/11. That's...that's incredible.

I wonder what future divinations I'll be able to pull from my 40oz to Freedom cd jacket liner.

Seems logical to me. Supertramp ought to do a song about it, a logical song.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

Given the state of American vs. European healthcare, I'm really surprised by the map of Europe.

The US population is generally more spread out, notice that the major outbreaks are in towns and more populated areas. Meanwhile in the rural ones, outbreaks are much rarer. Europe is much denser in population, allowing unvaccinated measles cases to run rampant.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
The original antivax stuff came from the UK as well, as the original anti-MMR paper was by a UK doctor (with a sample size of 7).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Seems logical to me. Supertramp ought to do a song about it, a logical song.
They tried to tell us. It was the crime of the century!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The vaccination workers in Pakistan get shot because the Islamists think they're a front for the CIA. Reminder that part of how Osama bin Laden was tracked down was a vaccination program that was a front for the CIA. Not defending them, it's awful that this poo poo is getting people killed AND stopping us from finally irradiating polio, it's just that the Islamists aren't actually crazy on this one point.
Conspiracy theories about immunization being some sort of plot against Muslims are long-established. But the CIA certainly didn't help things settle down on that front, no question there.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

It's Predictive Programming. The idea behind the conspiracy theory is that in order to "prime" people for things that would otherwise seem impossible, unbearably horrible, or disturbing so that they react to them in the way that the evil elite want them to. The idea is that specific images or themes are supposed to unconsciously register, so it can be anything from EVIL ILLUMINATI in music videos to the very existence of dystopian films.

It doesn't hold up to the slightest bit of scrutiny, and my pet theory is that the idea of predictive programming was invented after the fact to justify normal paranoid delusions.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

RagnarokAngel posted:

I have a conspiracy theorist in my life who straight up admitted he would pillage and kill anyone he had to survive if revolution comes to America.

This was in response to us wondering if we should grow citrus trees on our lawn so our neighbors could have free fruit if they wanted.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I mean at least freaking out about The Coup made sense after a fashion.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Armani posted:

I have a conspiracy theorist in my life who straight up admitted he would pillage and kill anyone he had to survive if revolution comes to America.

This was in response to us wondering if we should grow citrus trees on our lawn so our neighbors could have free fruit if they wanted.

Yeah that's pretty standard tough guy chat for conservatives though. He wouldn't do a thing and would probably cower in his home.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Armani posted:

That might just be tough-talk, but there's a theory that a conspiracist mindset can reflect a Machiavellian personality. I don't want to psychoanalyze an individual I don't know, so I dunno about your friend.

There was one study where conspiracy theorists and non-conspiracy theorists were asked if they were in the position of the conspirators, would they participate in the conspiracy? It turns out people who believe in conspiracy theories are much more likely to say they would. A non-believer would more likely say "of course not, I wouldn't blow up the WTC, that's absurd." But for the conspiracy theorist, that's how government works, so of course you'd behave that way if you were in a position of power.

quote:

In one study, 189 British undergraduates completed the MACH-IV questionnaire to measure their level of Machiavellianism (that is, their tendency to deceive and manipulate others for personal gain). This involves expressing one’s level of agreement with a series of statements such as “The best way to handle people is to tell them what they want to hear.”

They then read a series of 17 statements describing well-known conspiracy theories and rated their plausibility on a 1-to-7 scale. They also rated the likelihood that, if they were in the shoes of the alleged conspirators, they would have taken part in the conspiracy.

The researchers found that “personal willingness to engage in the conspiracies predicted endorsement of conspiracy theories.” So did a propensity to manipulate others for personal gain.
It stands to reason that if conspiracy theorists got their act together, then they would engage in false flag attacks and conspiratorial plots.

You can also see this in authoritarian regimes in the Middle East, Russia, and so on. These regimes promote conspiracy theories through state-controlled media, and at the same time engage in Machiavellian plots and false flag tactics.

For example, in Syria, it was a regime plan to insert Al Qaeda-inspired militants into the rebel forces--they deliberately released Islamists from prison as the revolution began to tip the balance to forces the West would not support. Another tactic, adopted from Russian tactics in Chechnya, was to have agents pose as smugglers/rebels and approach Western journalists in Lebanon, Turkey, etc. and offer to get them across the border. Once they crossed, they'd snag the journalists and throw them in jail, shoot them, etc. Blame it on Al Qaeda. And the result is a drastic reduction in on-the-ground coverage.

Edit: So it's important to note false flag tactics are real. They're used by spies all the time, right? Police sting operations: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57617643-71/wanted-man-shares-police-facebook-update-his-mugshot/ But these are relatively simple plots.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 23, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They tried to tell us. It was the crime of the century!

But after it was all said and done, it was just a Fools Overture.

I think the scariest part of conspiracy theores is not some guy going nuts and shooting people or bombings, but when they become mainstream enough that political parties and voters start to act based on them. In the 90s many of the GOP from rueal areas were voted on based on black helicopter style beliefs.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Baronjutter posted:

Why the gently caress was this person even invited.
The first party was at my friend's mother's house. Thankfully, the birther idiot did not even attempt to join us when we moved the party to my friend's own house. I'm pretty sure he would have gotten an earful if he had, from more than a few of us. What's more surprising to me is that my friend's mother actually willingly associates with a guy like that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

Well
http://www.ibtimes.com/dutch-bible-belt-measles-outbreak-reaches-161-cases-unvaccinated-children-1331617

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't want to open a can of worms, but I really hate how anti-gmo people always claim that every single scientist is in the pay of Monsanto and is hiding the dangers of GMO crops.

Just the logistics of paying off every single scientist is insane. And it also assumes that every scientist that would be involved with GMO research is so corrupt that they would take money to hide massively dangerously thing into the food supply.

But I think people have a real lack of understanding just how many scientists there are. It's like how truthers say "there are 2000 engineers who say that 9/11 was controled demolition!" when there are something like half a million engineers belonging to the US Engineering society (I just grabbed those numbers out of my rear end but the point still stands).

Also, Fukushima talk earlier, this was posted on David Suzuki's facebook page
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Half+Lives+Half+Truths/9406811/story.html

So unless he's part of the conspiracy, which i seriously doubt he is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Armani posted:

That's actually what causes the fall of society in the David Brin novel The Postman. Society gets hosed up a little but then all of the survivalists start coming out of the woodwork pillaging and looting trying to carve out their own little fiefdoms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Apparently Edward Snowden is now exposing CHEMTRAILS. Or at least sites are claiming he exposed it, along with Lizards and Illuminati and George Soros's control over every living thing.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Come on, Snowden; we all just want the secret UFO files. If he denies they exist he must be on the the plot to conceal the truth! If he confirms it he is a crank talking about little green men!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Apparently Edward Snowden is now exposing CHEMTRAILS. Or at least sites are claiming he exposed it, along with Lizards and Illuminati and George Soros's control over every living thing.

A lot of sites claimed wikileaks had evidence of grey aliens (or lizards, I dont loving know, whatever) and got progressively angrier at wikileaks for not releasing it.

Apparently Assange at one point said off hand when asked that there where cables relating to UFOs in the cable dispatches. I dunno, maybe one of the embassies reported back some sightings or some poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

duck monster posted:

A lot of sites claimed wikileaks had evidence of grey aliens (or lizards, I dont loving know, whatever) and got progressively angrier at wikileaks for not releasing it.

Apparently Assange at one point said off hand when asked that there where cables relating to UFOs in the cable dispatches. I dunno, maybe one of the embassies reported back some sightings or some poo poo like that.

I posted origonally after a friend was upset that people were using Snowden as the go took leak guy from crazy stuff on facebook, then I just got around to listening to the most recent Skeptics Guide to the Universe. According to them, Snowden showed Russian authorities documents which he had that clearly showed *what ever crazy thing you believe in*. The story was published in an Iranian paper that is pretty much the Weekly World News of Iran (The same issue featured a story about a young man who built a time machine).

Then of course the Alex Jones crowd got hold of it and yea.

• Locked thread