Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
copproham
Oct 27, 2010

If living things can become drawings then maybe drawings can become living things.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Speaking of images, I'm 99% certain that the image of Paola Dionisotti in the OP is actually an image of Zoë Wanamaker.

Yep, same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
It was. Google betrayed me.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Ballz posted:

GRRM and Maisie go out on a date.

I wonder if that's Nymeria. I remember from an interview, I think, that they got to keep the dogs after Season 1 was done.

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
That's an actual wolf from a sanctuary that GRRM supports. They had brought in 2 wolves.

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience
Spartacus also had fewer internationally renowned actors. Even if they ignored the child actors growing up problem, they can't seriously tell a cast like this to gently caress off for a year or two and expect them to come back: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rosscifer posted:

Spartacus also had fewer internationally renowned actors. Even if they ignored the child actors growing up problem, they can't seriously tell a cast like this to gently caress off for a year or two and expect them to come back: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/fullcredits

It would be really unprofessional to do that to anyone - actors do have to work and eat.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Rosscifer posted:

No one is seriously considering putting the series on hold. The Spartacus thing was a special circumstance because the lead was dying and it led to actor attrition and a watered-down second season that ultimately hurt the series. No one on the production side of things is going to risk that because some author is too busy watching football to finish a book in four years.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
The prequel season of Spartacus was actually really good, my favorite among all of them.

Not that it has anything to do with GoT. Besides, Gurm has the last 2 books in his desk drawer anyhow, that's my firm belief.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Then why aren't those books coming out? People were saying the same thing about Dance; "oh, it's done, he's just sitting on it and fine-tuning it." Sure, except he never said anything like that and took years and years of poo poo from a ton of people over his apparent lack of progress, and then when the book did come out, it was blindingly apparent they rushed it through editorial in a panicky haste to get the loving thing out the door.

poo poo, this was supposed to be a trilogy of books originally, now it's a septology after having been expanded to a quintet before as well. Coming in 2044, the final volume of the Song of Ice and Fire Dodecalogy...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Then why aren't those books coming out? People were saying the same thing about Dance; "oh, it's done, he's just sitting on it and fine-tuning it." Sure, except he never said anything like that and took years and years of poo poo from a ton of people over his apparent lack of progress, and then when the book did come out, it was blindingly apparent they rushed it through editorial in a panicky haste to get the loving thing out the door.

The only thing that was really clear from Dance is that GRRM wrote too much (and I don't mean it was long and plodding, I mean physically you could not bind that many pages together).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Then why aren't those books coming out?
Because while we're left hanging on the hook, he makes a lot more money from Wild Cards and all the other crap.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder if we'd even be able to recognize GRRM if we saw a picture of him where he wasn't wearing his Standard GRRM Uniform. Seriously, I can't even imagine what his head looks like without the hat.

e: Oh also to bring a really old post back up

Toplowtech posted:

The books have been translated in French, Italian, Polish Dutch, German and Spanish since the end of the 90s and in Japanese and Korean since 2001-2002. Check the Japanese covers.

I love how "George" and "Martin" are always in Japanese but "R.R." is not. It's like his trademark or something :allears:

(also these own; I am a dork)

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

loquacius posted:

(also these own; I am a dork)

The covers on those books with the coloured frames are amazing. They're all really dynamic and well-composed, the interpretations of most of the characters are great and they're just stylized and romanticised enough without being over the top. They also remind me of the artwork for the Japanese Wizardry games in terms of style.

I don't suppose anyone has higher resolution scans of those?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Rushputin posted:

The covers on those books with the coloured frames are amazing. They're all really dynamic and well-composed, the interpretations of most of the characters are great and they're just stylized and romanticised enough without being over the top. They also remind me of the artwork for the Japanese Wizardry games in terms of style.

I don't suppose anyone has higher resolution scans of those?
Click on the pictures here.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

pigdog posted:

Because while we're left hanging on the hook, he makes a lot more money from Wild Cards and all the other crap.

This is a really dumb argument.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

I say it every time, but drat are those great covers.

Sansa.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

pigdog posted:

I'd venture another theory. GRRM knows how the story ends. He has known for years. All that remains is writing this thing out. This means that the creative part of the task is essentially over, what's before him is a slog. Have you ever been in this kind of situation? For example: software all designed, now you just have to code it. Or: research done, data gathered and analysed, references gathered, now you just have to write this paper. Or (if you have a big enough house): spring cleaning all mapped out, cleaning supplies all purchased, now you just have to take this brush and start doing it. For a certain kind of person, this is unbearable. Maybe GRRM is one of these people, the kind of people who like starting things more than they like finishing them.

I admit that if it were so, his opposition to pushing the show forward wouldn't make a lot of sense, though, since the showrunners would be taking the tedious task out of his hands. So, I'm just posting it here as an option.

Rushputin
Jul 19, 2007
Intense, but quick to finish

Thanks, but I was specifically refering to the ones by Ken Sugawara. Unfortunately, a cursory google search only revealed more articles with pictures of the same size.

These are pretty good, too, though.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

meristem posted:

I'd venture another theory. GRRM knows how the story ends. He has known for years. All that remains is writing this thing out. This means that the creative part of the task is essentially over, what's before him is a slog. Have you ever been in this kind of situation? For example: software all designed, now you just have to code it. Or: research done, data gathered and analysed, references gathered, now you just have to write this paper. Or (if you have a big enough house): spring cleaning all mapped out, cleaning supplies all purchased, now you just have to take this brush and start doing it. For a certain kind of person, this is unbearable. Maybe GRRM is one of these people, the kind of people who like starting things more than they like finishing them.

I admit that if it were so, his opposition to pushing the show forward wouldn't make a lot of sense, though, since the showrunners would be taking the tedious task out of his hands. So, I'm just posting it here as an option.

No, no, you see, there's no room for actual thought and reason. GRRM is a fat old football-obsessed Wild Cards-only writer, who is doing nothing but cackling at the lack of ASOIAF in between his bouts of creeping on women. And he's going to die.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Rosscifer posted:

The other benefit is that just about everyone in Spartacus's first season that was still alive to transfer to season 2 would also have been in the prequel. So your main cast aside from Spartacus are all still around, and lots of the more background characters as well. The one guy who comes to mind that that doesn't apply to is the guy who played Agron; Dan ComplicatedLastName.

Whereas if you did a Game of Thrones prequel (on Robert's Rebellion I guess?), what the hell are you going to do with all the child actors, all the Tyrells, Dany, etc.? In addition to the part where you now need Sean Bean and Mark Addy and a bunch more people back, and have to make them look young enough, and on and on. It would just never work.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

meristem posted:

I think he's said pretty much the same thing in interviews - he knows how he wants to end the series, he knows who will still be alive and who is going to be sitting on the throne when the dust settles, he just has to figure out/write down how they get there.

e: found the quote where he says pretty much the same thing:

quote:

"I hate outlines. I have a broad sense of where the story is going; I know the end, I know the end of the principal characters, and I know the major turning points and events from the books, the climaxes for each book, but I don't necessarily know each twist and turn along the way," he explains. "That's something I discover in the course of writing and that's what makes writing enjoyable. I think if I outlined comprehensively and stuck to the outline the actual writing would be boring."
source

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 23, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The problem with a Robert's Rebellion show is how that conflict contains certain mysteries which are at the heart of ASOIAF in general, and having those mysteries shown at their formation would, in my opinion, ruin the enjoyment of the forthcoming main series storylines. People saying they want to see the Tower of Joy? No, you actually don't. Not yet, anyway. A definitive answer on Jon's parentage? Again, you do not actually want that.

It's better for the story if those mysteries stay unresolved. Sure, we all figure by now that Jon is Lyanna's son with Rhaegar. But not knowing is part of the fun, because maybe he's not. Maybe he really is Ned's bastard. Maybe he is a Targ, but what does that mean for Dany, etc? That nebulousness makes his character fun, and having a concrete answer would tear that away.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do like the fact that in each book just a little bit more information about Robert's Rebellion get revealed.

e: it's better than the mandatory 'Jon Snow? Nobody knows who his mother is!' reminder that's perhaps most tenuous in Dance.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Is there any significance to Jon's parentage at this point in the narrative? Jon's dead, the monarchy is in ruins and anybody who still cares about lineage already has a pet Targ in their pocket.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Irish Joe posted:

Is there any significance to Jon's parentage at this point in the narrative? Jon's dead, the monarchy is in ruins and anybody who still cares about lineage already has a pet Targ in their pocket.

Prophecy and Jon isn't dead.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Irish Joe posted:

Well I guess that depends on whats up with Howland Reed, if and when we ever meet him. He is really the only person alive who knows Jons parentage, and Reed isn't even a character yet. I guess maybe he could help lead the Northern rebellion with Jon Targarian-Stark at its head, but so far Howland Reed is mysteriously absent.

I guess it's also possible for other people (Melisandre) or even Jon himself to discover his parentage via *magic* or something. That could happen too I guess.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Irish Joe posted:

lol at this guy thinking Jon is going to stay dead

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think that Jon will be the "winner" in the end based on the Stark-Targ = ice/fire thing.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Irish Joe posted:

Jon is either not dead or not staying that way, because duh. As for it mattering... yeah, it kinda sorta doesn't. But on the other hand, it kinda sorta does. What does Robert's Rebellion teach us? That if the political landscape gets lovely enough (and it is certainly there already and sure to get worse), people will start looking around for replacements, and so long as they have any sort of claim on the throne, they'll do.

So when things are at their absolute worst, there will be Jon Snow, rightful heir to the Iron Throne, rightful heir to the Throne of Winter, with a dragon (because of course one of the dragons is for him) and a direwolf at his side to prove it. Do you think that maybe that might be the sort of thing people rally behind?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Being a Targ still matters to a whole load of people with regards to legitimacy on the throne.

also prophecy, beating the others etc etc.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Whereas if you did a Game of Thrones prequel (on Robert's Rebellion I guess?), what the hell are you going to do with all the child actors, all the Tyrells, Dany, etc.? In addition to the part where you now need Sean Bean and Mark Addy and a bunch more people back, and have to make them look young enough, and on and on. It would just never work.

Nothing stopping them from pulling a Hobbit and recasting characters with younger actors that just look vaguely like the older ones. It could be done.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

loquacius posted:

Nothing stopping them from pulling a Hobbit and recasting characters with younger actors that just look vaguely like the older ones. It could be done.
Excuse me, but in this television generation we refer to that as getting Bobby Draper'd -- well minus the "look vaguely like the older ones" part.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

loquacius posted:

A single character like 50 years later is not even close to 15 (or whatever) years ago and half the cast.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

loquacius posted:

You could do that, but that wouldn't allow you to stop production on Game of Thrones, because the children are still ageing pretty damned noticeably, as teenagers do.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Casting the Stark kids was a huge undertaking that the showrunners really, really don't want to have to go through again. I suspect half the reason for ageing up Missandei and the Reeds is so they don't have to find more kid actors. Recasting isn't an option. There isn't going to be a gap or prequel season.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

To say a major show like this wouldn't take a break because putting the actors on ice for a year or so would gently caress them over is a nonsense, double for HBO, see the wire and the sopranos for example, who used these breaks to give their actors a chance to flex their new found fame to set themselves up for post these shows or just to, you know, take a break. Breaking bad is another example that springs to mind.

I don't think they will take a break but to say no chance is bollocks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I for one didn't mean to suggest that a prequel could ever take place until after the series is finished.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Professor Shark posted:

I think that Jon will be the "winner" in the end based on the Stark-Targ = ice/fire thing.

The song of ice and fire will either be Jon and Dany's battle or Jon and Dany's romance and subsequent kid.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

notaspy posted:

To say a major show like this wouldn't take a break because putting the actors on ice for a year or so would gently caress them over is a nonsense, double for HBO, see the wire and the sopranos for example, who used these breaks to give their actors a chance to flex their new found fame to set themselves up for post these shows or just to, you know, take a break. Breaking bad is another example that springs to mind.

I don't think they will take a break but to say no chance is bollocks.

For the vast majority of actors on the show, GOT is by far the most popular thing they have ever been in, or will ever be in in the future. This is true for at least 95% of the cast. Sure, a few might do something "bigger" later on, but for most of the cast GOT is the pinnacle of their acting career.

That said, taking a year off is a terrible idea. No way you will keep 100% of the cast committed. People gotta work, and as much as it pains me to say it, "being on Game of Thrones" might not be the end goal of every single actor on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Vitamin P posted:

The song of ice and fire will either be Jon and Dany's battle or Jon and Dany's romance and subsequent kid.

Counter-point: maybe not.

• Locked thread