Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So long Tynion, you won't be missed.

Why exactly is Roy impersonating Yun from Street Fighter III anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

catlord posted:

That hat looks so loving stupid.

The super-mullet doesn't help. I didn't know Roy was such an 80's redneck.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Evil Mastermind posted:

The super-mullet doesn't help. I didn't know Roy was such an 80's redneck.

This is the crappy art, he should've look like this:

At least it could've been wor..

Oh :suicide:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
There is no bottom floor of hell the New 52.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Why exactly is Roy impersonating Yun from Street Fighter III anyway?

I was thinking more Adam-X the X-Treme.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

What in the loving fuckity gently caress? That looks like a parody of the '90s, yet I can't help but think they were completely serious.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ManiacClown posted:

What in the loving fuckity gently caress? That looks like a parody of the '90s, yet I can't help but think they were completely serious.

It was, Tynion never fully grasped the 'right' tone for the book. Lobdell wrote a lot of goofy and nonsensical poo poo but since the focus was put on the characters it was endearing as a backdrop for the character development. Tynion went all out on a plot-focused arc with the characters as backdrop and we ended with that loving mess.

He's writing another issue before leaving for good, the solicit made it look like it'll be character driven with the team having a break and Jason trying to rekindle his relationship with his girlfriend. She's gonna get fridged or written out of the book :smith:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

FALCON PUNCH

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

At least it could've been wor..

Oh :suicide:
How could anyone at DC look at this and not think of the very worst, most stereotypical parts of 90s comics? This has to be bullshit satire. That isn't a real page, isn't? Maybe some goon recolored an Image comics character and added the text?

For gently caress's sake, DC.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

WickedHate posted:

How could anyone at DC look at this and not think of the very worst, most stereotypical parts of 90s comics? This has to be bullshit satire. That isn't a real page, isn't? Maybe some goon recolored an Image comics character and added the text?

Bob Harras and Jim Lee are in charge of DC. The inmates are running the asylum here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WickedHate posted:

From the funny panels thread:

SynthOrange posted:

JLA League of One.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

How has Batman: Fortunate Son been ignored for so long? If you want a plot summary, A rock star named Izaak Crowe goes on a drug-induced psychotic cross country rampage while taking advice from a hallucination of Elvis. Batman pursues and we find out that Rock and Roll is "not allowed in the cave"...in part because his dad told him not to listen to "that trash"...just before they went to the Zorro movie.

I mean, besides the horrendously off artwork:

Batman being horrified by Great Balls of Fire and I Am the Walrus of all things:

And finally, Batman's summation of Punk Rock:

It may just be the stupidest comic ever written about Batman.

I don't think quality was ever a concern for DC. They just roll with whatever and the more power to them.

It's not like Marvel's spotless when it comes to quality either. One could write a thesis about X-Treme X-Men or any other of Claremont's incredibly lovely runs in the last twenty years. One thing about DC is that I will always blame them for not forcing Miller to finish his The Goddamn Batman series -- so bad that it was awesome.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 23, 2014

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

They're fighting in a featureless brown void. So it's like Dominic Deegan, except even more poo poo?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're fighting in a featureless brown void. So it's like Dominic Deegan, except even more poo poo?

About that...

The pit on which Jason and Ra's are fighting is supposed to be the monument in front of R'as statue, yeah, stellar drawings right there.

WickedHate posted:

I wish it would be like that, but that was an honest to god cliffhanger and Tynion went even more retarded on the next issue

:cripes:

To wash the bad aftertaste, here's a pretty awesome explanation behind Roy's codename:

This is from DCU presents, Roy's solo issue penned by Joe Keatinge.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I love that the implication is that he's going to do some crazy MacGyver poo poo with the toolbox but nope totally just stabs a dude.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Karma Tornado posted:

I love that the implication is that he's going to do some crazy MacGyver poo poo with the toolbox but nope totally just stabs a dude.

I know! Isn't fantastic?

Keatinge made really fun that issue

Jason's a social media addict

:haw:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

I Before E posted:

oh my god that is the stupidest loving page.

It's like something out of Fist of the North Star except without being anywhere near as cool as Fist of the North Star.

Anyway I reminded myself of it so gently caress it.

Battle of the Atom
Brian Michael Bendis/Jason Aaron/Brian Wood (W), Frank Cho/Stuart Immonen/David Lopez/Chris Bachalo/Giuseppe Camincoli (A)

The set-up is fairly standard: Beast travelled back in time to pull the original X-Men into the present to try and change present Cyclops' mind or show him the error of his ways or something because currently Beast is a loving moron. Well the O5 being in the present means A Bad Thing happens so in order to prevent the future from coming to pass a group of X-Men from the future travel to the past to send the O5 back. The group consists of Charles Xavier (grandson of Charles Xavier), an aged Kitty Pryde, an aged Beast, Xorn (past Jean as an adult), Deadpool, a grown-up Molly Hayes, and Iceman as a mindless ice brute.

Young Cyclops gets killed for a moment before being resurrected by Triage (one of Cyclops' students) and during that time present Cyclops disappears and it's debated whether or not to send the O5 back. After the arrival of the Future X-Men young Jean and Cyclops leave to find present Cyclops but the Xorn finds them and convinces Jean they need to go back. But Magik and O5 Beast and Iceman travel to the future and find out oh no the Future X-Men are really the future Brotherhood and evil because dragons assassinated President Dazzler so the real Future X-Men (which include Jubilee, a grown up version of Jubilee's son Shogo, Ice Wizard Iceman, and Colossus' Lemmy Kilmister Mustache) agree to go back and fight the Brotherhood.

The Brotherhood are revealed, fighting happens, future Kitty is really Raze (future son of Wolverine and Mystique, inheritor of both their powers and the most '90s character name since Adam X the X-Treme), the Brotherhood captures the O5 but oh no they can't be sent back in time because Reasons so instead the Brotherhood hightails it to a military base and attacks the military bringing in SHIELD who deploy the Sentinels they've been developing. Both present teams of X-Men and the Future X-Men defeat the Sentinels, then the O5 engage in a really hamfisted homage to the X-Men #1 cover, and Xorn's pushes her powers past their limits killing herself but allowing the Brotherhood to escape.

So now Xorn, future Beast, future Deadpool, future Jubilee, and future Steelstache are dead, the future X-Men hit 88 miles per hour except Storm and Black Panther's daughter who decides to stay in the present to help track down the Brotherhood members that are still out there (Xavier, Molly, Raze), Wolverine yells at X-Men about how everyone he's killed doesn't matter because Scott killed Xavier while possessed by the Phoenix, and the O5 are mad that it was agreed to send them back and Kitty agrees because their freedom to apparently cause time to collapse in case one of them is killed is more important than time NOT collapsing so all six of them act like babies and go join present Cyclops' X-Men and the story is done.

I hate this story. It lasts two months but due to its structure (Battle of the Atom #1 and #2 as bookends, running through Wolverine and the X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, and X-Men) it seems like it takes way longer than that. Probably because the pacing is so goddamn slow that you can basically tell the story in like four issues at most. The future characters are also really poorly developed. The Future X-Men are basically there to serve as a plot twist and then none of them matter afterwards. Xavier II is obviously evil from the outset, Raze is lame and would be more tolerable if he said things like "Time to RAZE a little hell" or "Let's RAZE the stakes" or something but no he's just Wolverine's Evil Son. I'm not even sure why Molly is there because she does nothing but stand around and then get punked out by Magik.

Everything about the story is just dumb and bad and even though it's setting up a status quo shift it just feels completely pointless because a.) I don't care about the O5 and want them gone and b.) I want the stupid loving Schism to end already. To be perfectly honest, as far as X-Men stories go (at least ones limited to the core books, not ancillary ones) this is my least favorite X-Men story ever. At least The Draco's dumb poo poo was contained to Uncanny and didn't completely derail every book in the line while having it's dumb poo poo pretty much ignored until Aaron decided he wanted to use Azazel ten years later I guess.

Suben fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 23, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Suben posted:

Battle of the Atom
Brian Michael Bendis/Jason Aaron/Brian Wood (W), Frank Cho/Stuart Immonen/David Lopez/Chris Bachalo/Giuseppe Camincoli (A)

This sucked. The plot was so convoluted and nonsensical I threw up my hands after two issues. Marvel overuses time travel way, way too much, and this is the worst example. I do kind of respect how they didn't hit the Magic History Eraser Button at the end and have it all never have happened, and I like O5 are actually fun to have around afterwards, especially the Cyke/Laura bit. Still, overall it sucked a long one.

Also the name is stupid. "Battle of the Atom?" Could you be any more generic?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Suben posted:

Battle of the Atom

You forgot one of my favorite parts. During the SHIELD Sentinels scene, SHIELD doesn't actually deploy the Sentinels or even attack, Maria Hill just yells over a loudspeaker "Hey knock it off you're kind of blowing up a military base". Then Xorn and Evil Xavier declare out loud, mind you, that they have to prove how evil the humans are and then they cut to the helicarrier where suddenly all the weapons are launched and nobody knows who's responsible, implying that Xorn & Xavier mind-controlled some sap on the helicarrier to shoot all the assembled mutants. Granted, the point of this scene is to demonstrate that "Oh man SHIELD shouldn't even have Sentinels in the first place because Sentinels are bad" but come the gently caress on, the villains announce they are framing the humans then everybody ignores this and totally gets mad at SHIELD instead of the guys who (telepathically) pulled the trigger. Sooo dumb.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Suben posted:

Battle of the Atom

Wait, they made future Princess Powerful evil? Well gently caress those guys. t:mad:t

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Nature vs. Nurture, man.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Suben posted:

Battle of the Atom

Holy gently caress what did I just read. :psyduck: Is the Xmen brand really that convoluted?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

Holy gently caress what did I just read. :psyduck: Is the Xmen brand really that convoluted?

Look up the Summer family tree.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
EDIT:
Ahahaha I thought you were just talking about the credits. My bad

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Trast posted:

The minute time travel is brought on you need a freaking score card to keep track.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Trast posted:

There's a loving reason it tends to be kept in its designated quarantine zone from the rest of the Marvel universe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trast posted:

That's not exactly a new development.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The X-Men line really reeked of, and continues to, things happen because the writer wants them to happen and gently caress if they need to make sense.

Kitty joins Cyclops' team because Bendis wanted it to happen (she's pissed that Wolverine's team didn't listen to her or something). The original 5 stay in this timeline, and were brought into this timeline despite potentially completely loving up the timeline, because they're a neat concept and who gives a poo poo. Cyclops is an outlaw because the writers think its cool that he's Wolverine now and vice versa (Scott killed Professor X while being mind controlled by Phoenix. I feel like every loving X-Man has killed someone while being mind controlled at one point, but in Scott's case, gently caress it he's BANISHED.)

Not to mention, the future X-Men's timeline is really dumb. I thought that Age of Ultron would sort of get the ball rolling on putting an end to time travel, but its just opened it up to happen in every single Marvel book.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well I guess in the flimsy defense of X-Men, killing Xavier would be something horrific. You know, if he wasn't going to be going on body #4 in a few months or something. I didn't feel a thing at all when he died in AvsX, because he may have died more times than Jean Grey at this point. Take that compared to (Walking Dead comic spoiler) Glenn's death which actually really bothered me for a few days after. Because at least there's no resurrections in that series.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IUG posted:

Because at least there's no resurrections in that series.

Don't be silly, that's the entire premise :downs:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Not to mention, the future X-Men's timeline is really dumb. I thought that Age of Ultron would sort of get the ball rolling on putting an end to time travel, but its just opened it up to happen in every single Marvel book.

The movie coming out this year has time travel as a plot point. It is not going anywhere.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The premise would have made more sense if they didn't switch from time travel making alternate universes to back to the future style time travel.

Under branching timeline rules, Beast's plan is less stupid since he'd just be creating a universe where young Scott gets a ghost-of-Christmas-future moment. And Kitty gets a better argument when it's balancing 'they want to stay' vs 'an alternate universe where all the X-men disappeared back in the 60's is probably going to suck'

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

The premise would have made more sense if they didn't switch from time travel making alternate universes to back to the future style time travel.

Under branching timeline rules, Beast's plan is less stupid since he'd just be creating a universe where young Scott gets a ghost-of-Christmas-future moment. And Kitty gets a better argument when it's balancing 'they want to stay' vs 'an alternate universe where all the X-men disappeared back in the 60's is probably going to suck'

The sliding timescale slides both ways, doesn't it? Or is it just that all of the X-Men have been resurrected/time traveled/shot with alien healing rays so much by now that they can have started in the 60s but the original five are still biologically less than ~15 years older now, in the 2010s. And associated age compressions among the cast as appropriate, vis-a-vis Kitty Pryde, et al, etc, esq.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought Beast's whole thing when he grabbed them was that THIS time if something happens to them it changes the present.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I thought Beast's whole thing when he grabbed them was that THIS time if something happens to them it changes the present.

Yeah, they switched the time travel rules in age of ultron. It used to be that anyone time travelling just split alternate timelines off. That's how they justified Rachel and Cable still existing after they changed the past.

The premise of Battle of the Atom is just less stupid if they had used the old rules.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 24, 2014

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
A recurring theme I've noticed in Bendis' X-Men run (including BOTA) is how haphazardly things feel thrown together without any real planning or thought put into anything. Most of his run just feels like Bendis going through a laundry list of ideas that he liked without thinking if anything made sense or was necessary.

"Beast is dying! Why? I liked his old look better! Scott's team's powers are on the fritz! How come? I dunno, something with AVX I guess? Now the Original 5 are back! It makes no sense and isn't consistent with how time travel works in Marvel? Too bad, I wanna write the O5! Did I mention that time travel is now negatively affecting the present, but only when the O5 die? This doesn't even make sense within the logic of my own story but I need to up the stakes somehow! Now the X-Men from the future are here... but they're evil! Why are they evil? I dunno, an explosion happened or something! More X-men from the future! I won't really develop any of these characters but I assure you that the future you only see a couple pages of is really cool! Also SHIELD has Sentinels again! Isn't that so kooky and mysterious? And now Kitty and the O5 are joining Cyclops! Why would they do this? So I can write more Schism of course!"

Aaron might have written parts of BOTA, but the execution feels eerily similar to Bendis' Age of Ultron. The first half sets up an interesting premise and goes absolutely nowhere with it, then the second half throws a bunch of underdeveloped ideas at you to compensate, without anything interesting of note actually happening. The story keeps focusing in the least interesting aspect of the premise (People moping around in rubble and the X-Men having a stupid "Is taking our past selves to the future and constantly putting them in life-threatening situations a bad idea?" argument) and the ending is anti-climactic and really makes no sense other than a desperate attempt to convince people that the boring event they read actually mattered.

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress Bendis and his plodding, nonsensical, over-indulgent X-Men run. Aaron can be seriously hit or miss but the Bendis books have really made me grow to appreciate his stuff a lot more.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Foxfire_ posted:

Yeah, they switched the time travel rules in age of ultron. It used to be that anyone time travelling just split alternate timelines off. That's how they justified Rachel and Cable still existing after they changed the past.

The premise of Battle of the Atom is just less stupid if they had used the old rules.

Everything is less stupid with the old rules, they were the only thing that made time travel stories semi-bearable by throwing out the "But will they change their own time! DUN DUN DUN!" attempts at drama because we all know the answer is always no.

With the old rules the return of the original x-men to their time is at least debatable as it stands right now not sending them back isn't just dumb, it's genocidal. Each one has saved or been instrumental in saving the planet at least once so if one of them disappears there goes earth and everybody on it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Trast posted:

It's just Bendis. For some reason he really likes doing time travel stories and the best he's managed to muster with them is forgettable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

HorseRenoir posted:

I guess what I'm saying is gently caress Bendis and his plodding, nonsensical, over-indulgent X-Men run. Aaron can be seriously hit or miss but the Bendis books have really made me grow to appreciate his stuff a lot more.

I feel terrible saying this but neener-neener now you know what it was like to be an Avengers fan during Bendis's run. :D

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
The whole Phoenix has affected Cyclops and others powers makes no sense. Magneto is somehow affected, even though he was never possessed yet Namor, who was, is totally fine.

Bendis tries to hand wave it away by saying "well, magneto was close to them" but so was nearly every other X person.

Also, how the gently caress does Cyclops' new mask work exactly? The big red X on his face doesn't even cover his eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

I feel terrible saying this but neener-neener now you know what it was like to be an Avengers fan during Bendis's run. :D

There is a big diffrence between Bendis taking over the Avengers and him taking over the X-men. The Avengers were the pits for a bit. Ever since Busiek left while the X-men were pretty good with Aaron and Gillen stearing the boat. However, Bendis's run is not that bad and I have read much much worse. Like Claremont's 2 and 3rd runs.

• Locked thread