Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Giant infodump moved to its own thread.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
"Dungeon inside a Dead God/Behemoth" sounds pretty sweet. Like those old RPGs that have you crawling around the insides of a giant at some point.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 24, 2014

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Covok posted:

Anyone know if there is any news on Nightfall? I know Mikan took over after Red Mage ran off and I'm just curious on how production has gone since then.

For a project where we don't have any of the money and we're starting from scratch mechanically, it is going alarmingly well. I think the 21 pages of setting preview we released the first day was more content than the project had seen since it started.

The mechanics are taking a bit, but some of that is me getting back into 13th Age design mode and some of that was PixelScum breaking his hands.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I dig Alpha Pheonix's brainstorm and GrandpaPants' necro-botanist ideas, they're pretty rad. Probably gonna make my own dungeon for the idea if the Awful Dungeon ends up going another direction.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Plants-and-rot themed crumbling giant flying patchwork sun-temple ziggurat is a pretty rad idea, gotta say.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I'm in full agreement.

I'm gathering up the posts from the dead brainstorming thread as well, I bought archives for you fuckers, I hope you're happy. :downs:

I can't quote the posts because it's dead so the formatting is hosed, I'll have it up here later today and then I'll probably toss up a new discussion thread for the Awful Dungeon so it doesn't eat all of this thread.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Whether or not the Awful Dungeon goes this way, I am definitely using the sun temple corrupted by dead harvest god that is katamari-ing parts of the world. Such a cool idea. Depending on how big you make it, you could almost host an entire campaign on it.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
I posted a new discussion thread for the Awful Dungeon and I promise I won't let this one die!
Find it here

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I MADE A CLASS

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=14015

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The new Page XX had a lot of 13th Age content, like the Eldcaller, a stunt system, a caption contest and a commitment from the publisher for continued support with supplements and adventures, some in the works and some in an early pitch stage.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

SageNytell posted:

Mind throwing a few stones, Wade?

Funny, Red_Mage never replied to my last email telling him I had his contributor copy of Hillfolk. It's almost as if he'd rather not see me.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think he's refering to the 'Marketing to PF fans' deal which was a phantom fear. The Monk thing IS legit since the designers themselves are the ones saying they're trying to write it to follow its (horrible) design legacy.

That's fair.

Then again, it's probably better to have phantom fears about something before it's released, raise them and have the book reflect them in some way than bitching about it only after the fact. That being said, they do seem to listen to player input without letting it dominate the conversation, so hopefully good things will come.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

General Ironicus posted:

The new Page XX had a lot of 13th Age content, like the Eldcaller, a stunt system, a caption contest and a commitment from the publisher for continued support with supplements and adventures, some in the works and some in an early pitch stage.

I really like that stunt system; allowing for more robust choices in combat is always great.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

The Witch looks like a ton of fun to play, too. Reminds me of the Enchantment build for the 4e Mage.

Edit: Well, the level one spells do. The rest reminds me pretty heavily of a mix between Warlock and Invoker. Which I suppose was probably the goal.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2014

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
So our party is planning on melting down an iron golem! As the Elementalist with a blacksmithing history in the group, this won out over "Find a way to reactivate it" after the damage we'd done, plus the fact we really didn't know or have connections with anyone who actually could reanimate a golem

However, in the acquisition of this golem we just so happen to have made a very large group of goblins leaderless, with at least one goblin loyal to us, and another who owes their life to us

So we're going to melt this iron golem down and forge armor for the goblins. And get them to become paladins of the Great Gold Wyrm, cause that's the type of thing a 6 with him gets

Only great things can come of this

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The PDF is 40% off through Sunday at the Pelgrane shop and, starting at midnight American time, at DriveThruRPG.

So if you're one of the many people who got the game but the rest of your group hasn't, this is a good time for them to pick it up.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mecheon posted:

So our party is planning on melting down an iron golem! As the Elementalist with a blacksmithing history in the group, this won out over "Find a way to reactivate it" after the damage we'd done, plus the fact we really didn't know or have connections with anyone who actually could reanimate a golem

However, in the acquisition of this golem we just so happen to have made a very large group of goblins leaderless, with at least one goblin loyal to us, and another who owes their life to us

So we're going to melt this iron golem down and forge armor for the goblins. And get them to become paladins of the Great Gold Wyrm, cause that's the type of thing a 6 with him gets

Only great things can come of this

The important part you left out is we're doing this in Blue's territory. We're gonna be best friends I think.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

GruntyThrst posted:

The important part you left out is we're doing this in Blue's territory. We're gonna be best friends I think.

And that we threw a sorcerer loyal to the Blue at the golem and he died pretty much immediately. I foresee bad things in our future.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

And that we threw a sorcerer loyal to the Blue at the golem and he died pretty much immediately. I foresee bad things in our future.

We'll just say he died to protect the people of that town and was most certainly not held captive by druids and forced into a losing position

The most believable story

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Hey guys, remember that Psion I was working on a while ago? Well I never finished it. :downs:

But I did just finish my first full draft of The Scholar and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it. The numbers almost certainly need tweaking and some of the options are probably hideously overpowered, and I'm worried some of might just be kind of lame in general.

I'd still love to get some critiques on this, it kind of got buried in the whole necromancer backlash. :shobon:

I'd like to publish it to the Vault at some point, but I'm not confident that it's at a point where it should be published.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Hey Ryven, I'm looking at making a Dilettante and had a few questions about the class, both from a design standpoint and for actual use.

1) Why is there a level restriction on the Adventurer Feat to be able to use a two-handed weapon?

quote:

(Adventurer feat): Starting at 2nd level, you can
learn to use a particular 1d10 weapon one-handed
with no penalty except for those marked *.

I don't think it changes much about the class, nor would getting it at level 1 seem especially overpowered, and it seems like it goes against the "and this is your father's lightsaber" aspect of the class if you wanted a big 'ol sword. Is there any reason you level restricted it?

2) How does the spell progression work, exactly? It looks like advancing in levels locks you out of earlier sets of spells, as it does for Wizards and the like, but unlike Wizards Dilettante's don't have the ability to prepare a lower-level spell for a higher level effect (i.e. 1st level Wizard spells have a 3rd/5th/7th/9th level version). This would be a little strange but possibly intended, except that the invocations have Feat slots - feats you presumably lose when you level past the ability to prepare those spells, i.e. level 5 for 1st level invocations, and well before you could spend the epic-level feat for that ability.

So how exactly do the Dilettante's spell slots work?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

RPZip posted:

1) Why is there a level restriction on the Adventurer Feat to be able to use a two-handed weapon?

I don't think it changes much about the class, nor would getting it at level 1 seem especially overpowered, and it seems like it goes against the "and this is your father's lightsaber" aspect of the class if you wanted a big 'ol sword. Is there any reason you level restricted it?
That's curious, do any other 13A feats have a level restriction? Looks like something carried over from a previous game.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Champion and Epic feats technically sort-of already are level restrictions. Why not just go that route?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Yeah, that's why I was surprised. There are tier-restricted feats of course, but I think that's the first one I've seen that had a sub-tier restriction on it.

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

RPZip posted:

Hey Ryven, I'm looking at making a Dilettante and had a few questions about the class, both from a design standpoint and for actual use.

Mostly a stylistic and meta-game choice. It gives other d10-weapon wielding classes (Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger[?]) a chance to evolve a bit into their strengths before the Dilettante catches up to them. I actually played it two-handed at level 1 in the playtest and it felt a little rude to the other melee combatants in the party. Also the Dilettante being a dabbler, it seemed weird to give them complete weapon access off the bat. There's no harm in ignoring the 2nd-level restriction.

RPZip posted:

2) How does the spell progression work, exactly? It looks like advancing in levels locks you out of earlier sets of spells, as it does for Wizards and the like, but unlike Wizards Dilettante's don't have the ability to prepare a lower-level spell for a higher level effect (i.e. 1st level Wizard spells have a 3rd/5th/7th/9th level version). This would be a little strange but possibly intended, except that the invocations have Feat slots - feats you presumably lose when you level past the ability to prepare those spells, i.e. level 5 for 1st level invocations, and well before you could spend the epic-level feat for that ability.

So how exactly do the Dilettante's spell slots work?

No, you can always take a lower-level spell in a higher-level slot. I think that's in the book somewhere, though I could be conflating it with 3.x and 4E. Look at them as maximums. At level 5 you can have 2 up-to-3rd level spells and 4 up-to-5th level spells. I didn't think it necessary to explicitly state that since when you get to 7th level and beyond, there are more spell slots then spells at that level.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Mostly a stylistic and meta-game choice. It gives other d10-weapon wielding classes (Fighter, Barbarian, Paladin, Ranger[?]) a chance to evolve a bit into their strengths before the Dilettante catches up to them. I actually played it two-handed at level 1 in the playtest and it felt a little rude to the other melee combatants in the party. Also the Dilettante being a dabbler, it seemed weird to give them complete weapon access off the bat. There's no harm in ignoring the 2nd-level restriction.

Alrighty, that makes sense I suppose.

quote:

No, you can always take a lower-level spell in a higher-level slot. I think that's in the book somewhere, though I could be conflating it with 3.x and 4E. Look at them as maximums. At level 5 you can have 2 up-to-3rd level spells and 4 up-to-5th level spells. I didn't think it necessary to explicitly state that since when you get to 7th level and beyond, there are more spell slots then spells at that level.

It's probably not needed - that's definitely the logical way to read it - but I'm not sure that rule actually is in the 13th age book, since the classes in that book don't need it due to the way their powers are written.

Thanks for the prompt answers!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

DM Talk: There's a player of mine who chose wizard as his class, but he doesn't seem to be very creative. Maybe it's partially just that as the DM, I know the situation and limitations better than he does, but it always mildly frustrates me whenever there's a thing he could do in a situation, but never does. I don't think he's never tried to do a ritual once, for instance, let alone does he seem to make much use of the cantrips or anything.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

DM Talk: There's a player of mine who chose wizard as his class, but he doesn't seem to be very creative. Maybe it's partially just that as the DM, I know the situation and limitations better than he does, but it always mildly frustrates me whenever there's a thing he could do in a situation, but never does. I don't think he's never tried to do a ritual once, for instance, let alone does he seem to make much use of the cantrips or anything.

Is he having fun with the class?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Cumburglar posted:

Is he having fun with the class?

I get the feeling he is vaguely frustrated, too. I wonder if I should talk to him, and how.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

I get the feeling he is vaguely frustrated, too. I wonder if I should talk to him.

You probably should, or at least let him know that you're free to address any concerns he might have about his character.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Mr. Lobe posted:

Maybe prod him slightly in that direction. Not actually telling him, but more like just dropping hints. Like instead of saying, "That's a long fall," say "The fall would almost certainly be lethal without magical help."

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

djw175 posted:

Maybe prod him slightly in that direction. Not actually telling him, but more like just dropping hints. Like instead of saying, "That's a long fall," say "The fall would almost certainly be lethal without magical help."

Yeah, that might be the best solution. That's subtle enough to not step into the domain of playing his character for him, which is what I am trying to avoid.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
A quote from Rob in the comments to his blogpost discussed earlier:

quote:

We have plans for what we're going to do with the simple/newby classes. But those plans *probably* won't be in this book. Fixing the newbie classes wasn't one of the original design goals for 13 True Ways and right this moment we're entirely focused on getting this book done the most fun ways possible. The follow-up to this thought is that Jonathan and I are both staying deeply involved in 13th Age design and we know what our plans are for addressing the simple classes in the future. It's going to be fun. But odds are it won't be 13 True Ways.
Source: http://robheinsoo.blogspot.com/2014/01/horizon-commanders-mummies-13-true-ways.html#comment-form

Sounds pretty good to me! The extended support beyond 13 True Ways is probably the best news I've heard.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
new adventure out for the Organized Players:

The survey includes a voting form for GM of the Month, lets you tell us what new products you'd like to see, and at the end after you click 'submit' you will receive the link to the adventure 'Omenquest'.

Omenquest showcases 13th Age's kobolds, and has our first named dragon (Tephra the Stone Burner), together with treasure right from the dragon's corpse (looting the body in this adventure means looting the whole body!).
For those that don't fancy fighting a named dragon, there is an alternate route that takes adventurers through part of one of Omen's famous living dungeons.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I finally picked up the corebook for this. So far I'm impressed, they've really managed to retain a lot of the options and nice crunchy stuff from earlier editions while also dramatically simplifying the presentation.

Was gonna complain about the lack of a Warlord class but then I see the Commander is in progress for 13TW, so you guys keep on keepin' on. (The Bard eats up some of that design space but I think reskinning it would be a little tricky what with all the songs and spells.)

Just a question, is the Brace for It maneuver better in play than how it reads? It seems like it'd be kind of a waste of a maneuver slot since it's essentially dependent on two triggers happening in succession- one the actual trigger, and then, in that next turn, an enemy scoring a critical. Everything else seems to either go off right when it would be useful or stick around until you actually need it (Grim Intent, Carve an Opening).

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't know from playing, but it seems like the attack's trigger, "you miss", is one that doesn't have much overlap with the other 1st level maneuvers listed, except defensive fighting while using a shield. Considering that you determine which flexible maneuver you want to use after rolling, it seems like a consolation prize, one that might be especially helpful if you are struck with the "vulnerable" status effect, or otherwise fighting enemies who have an increased crit range.

Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, far as I can tell it's straight worse than the other miss options even at level 1 (grim intent/carve an opening for two-hander, shield bash/carve an opening for one-hander and shield, two-weapon pressure for TWF), much less later ones. Haven't seen it in play, though.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Going to Gen Con? We need GMs! Kenderama has a glorious vision for organized play at the con, and is working with Pelgrane's Cat Tobin to make it a reality. We'll have tracks for every Organized Play series currently available by then, as well as original and bring-your-own adventures.

Compensation depends on the number of hours you can commit to, and includes a special Gen Con 2014 GM t-shirt, daily GM meetups with Pelgrane designers, booth credit and swag.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Replied a few weeks ago. Just booked my hotel ($1000/4days. Oof)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

waderockett posted:

Going to Gen Con? We need GMs! Kenderama has a glorious vision for organized play at the con,

This makes me feel like I should have some special shirts made for 24+ hour volunteers: "Glorious 13th Age Revolution Comrade!"

• Locked thread