Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Strange Matter posted:

Disney villains generally come in two flavors:

Jealous & Scheming (Scar, Jafar, Ursula)
Arrogant & Small Minded (Gaston, Frollo, Clayton)

They don't really do Compassionate very often.
Wonder where Long John Silver from Treasure Planet fits in to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

achillesforever6 posted:

probably compassionate as he does redeem himself in the end, but he is kind of a scheming villain considering he managed to get almost everyone loyal to him employed on the ship

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

achillesforever6 posted:

God I love Long John Silver. He's definitely one of my favorite Disney characters of all time. I even felt kind of bad that he had to give up his treasure to save Jim. He lost his arm, leg, and eye trying to find it! "You give up a few things, chasin a dream"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Macaluso posted:

God I love Long John Silver. He's definitely one of my favorite Disney characters of all time. I even felt kind of bad that he had to give up his treasure to save Jim. He lost his arm, leg, and eye trying to find it! "You give up a few things, chasin a dream"

Not all of it, though. I mean, he only kept a handful, but that sure looked like it alone would set him up for several lifetimes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Yeah and his design is just so great.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Since the first one has PSY, I imagine this will have the "What Does the Fox Say?" guys.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Going back to terrible songs for a moment - worst song added to The Lion King: Morning Report or Chow Down?

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Boxman posted:

Going back to terrible songs for a moment - worst song added to The Lion King: Morning Report or Chow Down?

Gangnam Style.

What, you've never seen Lion King with Gangnam Style added? :colbert:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

achillesforever6 posted:

Hes got the scheming part down, but it helps that Long John Silver isn't on the same level of evil as Scar, Jafar and Ursula, which is probably due to his characterization sticking much closer to the source material than those others do (where applicable).

Actually looking at these two categories, I noticed that there seems to be a correlation between them and how the villains die. Small Minded villains are killed by falling from great heights, while the Jealous types tend to suffer more gruesome or creative fates (eaten alive by hyenas, imprisoned forever in a lamp, impaled by a ship prow).

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Samuel Clemens posted:

Frollo is another example of a character who was a lot more likeable in the original version, though his transformation into a villain was done a lot better than Gastons. I think it's because he's so involved in the storyline. We get a much closer look at his motivations than we do for most Disney villains and his relationship to the other main characters is both clearly defined and integral to the plot structure. Hunchback wouldn't work as a film without him.

By contrast, Gaston really doesn't do much for most of his film. The story's focus lies on the relationship between Belle and the Beast, so he mostly provides a bit of additional comedic relief. Only near the end does he become a credible threat so the audience can have a dramatic finale. Even then the most important moment isn't Gaston's defeat, but Belle declaring her love for the beast.

It's interesting to compare Gaston's death with Frollo's. Conceptually they're both very close, villains falling from a high building after being rejected by the main character, but their relative importance to the narrative is vastly different. Frollo's defeat is an important part of Quasimodo's character development as it shows him finally standing up for himself and rejecting his former master's teachings. Gaston's death feels more like an afterthought because he doesn't carry the same weight as a villain.

Well, that and Gaston didn't get to sing Hellfire.

He may not be compassionate, but Gaston does have this going for him. Everyone loves the guy except those two love nerds!

e: I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the witch had come knocking at Gaston's chalet instead of the castle.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Shanty posted:

e: I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the witch had come knocking at Gaston's chalet instead of the castle.

You know who I want to hear about? This witch that goes around cursing eleven year-olds. What's her story? Where's she heading?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Das Boo posted:

You know who I want to hear about? This witch that goes around cursing eleven year-olds. What's her story? Where's she heading?

The witch is a stand-in for God. There are plenty of myths about Gods or other supernatural entities deciding to disguise themselves as humans in order to see what people think of them/the destitute, and rewarding or punishing accordingly.

Beauty and the Beast can be compared to The Wife of Bath's Tale - both of them feature nobility which are given a chance to aid those which are destitute, but who are secretly powerful/beautiful/etc. The difference is that Beast is more "What if the knight from Bath's Tale acted like nobility usually do?" (i.e., terrible assholes)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Das Boo posted:

I, for one, am eagerly awaiting her story to be told via a broadway smash hit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Disney's Enchantress.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pick posted:

Disney's Enchantress.

Nah, we gotta follow the title formula now.

Disney's Refused Shelter By An Eleven Year Old.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Nah, we gotta follow the title formula now.

Disney's Refused Shelter By An Eleven Year Old.

Disney's Rejected

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Strange Matter posted:

Hes got the scheming part down, but it helps that Long John Silver isn't on the same level of evil as Scar, Jafar and Ursula, which is probably due to his characterization sticking much closer to the source material than those others do (where applicable).

Actually looking at these two categories, I noticed that there seems to be a correlation between them and how the villains die. Small Minded villains are killed by falling from great heights, while the Jealous types tend to suffer more gruesome or creative fates (eaten alive by hyenas, imprisoned forever in a lamp, impaled by a ship prow).
Then there is Rourke's death in Atlantis, which scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. :stonk:

He does have one of my favorite lines in the movie

"Mercenary? I prefer the term 'adventure capitalist'."

The rest are everything that came out of Vinny's mouth :allears:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Wasn't The Enchantress supposed to be a Fae? It would make sense for one of them to screw over an entire castle just because a kid was being a kid.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

Wasn't The Enchantress supposed to be a Fae? It would make sense for one of them to screw over an entire castle just because a kid was being a kid.

It's never explicitly mentioned that she was a fae, but it's a pretty common assumption.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Then there is Rourke's death in Atlantis, which scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. :stonk:

He does have one of my favorite lines in the movie

"Mercenary? I prefer the term 'adventure capitalist'."

The rest are everything that came out of Vinny's mouth :allears:

Is Atlantis any good? I've never seen it, but it's on my (much to long) to watch list. The cover always makes me think of treasure planet, which isn't a bad thing to be reminded of.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Atlantis is better than its reputation suggests. It's a visual spectacle with some impressive setpieces and it captures the general aesthetic of Jules Verne's work very well. However, neither the characters nor the story are particularly memorable, so you end up with a film that has strong individual scenes but fails at connecting them in a satisfying manner. Still worth watching, but nowhere near the quality of Treasure Planet. Which is a shame, because the potential was definitely there.

Just don't watch the sequel, though that advice applies to a lot of Disney films.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Atlantis is one Disney movie that I've seen a bunch of times and still can never remember the bulk of it. It just kind of slides out of the mind. There is a lot of cool stuff in it, both concepts and visuals, but it just doesn't ever come together.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth TNT posted:

Is Atlantis any good? I've never seen it, but it's on my (much to long) to watch list. The cover always makes me think of treasure planet, which isn't a bad thing to be reminded of.

Atlantis is sort of like Tarzan but from the perspective of the invaders.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Darth TNT posted:

I think the biggest problem with Atlantis is that it would've worked so much better as a mini-series then a movie, it felt rather abrupt at times, and most of the ensemble cast don't really get much "use".

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
The animation in Atlantis really bugs me on occasion, like it's a bit overanimated, or something. Don't really know how to put it into words, it's no Bluth-style-jigging around but it just doesn't look great. Milo's enormous glasses that get in the way of his face are pretty annoying, too.

Overall, though, it's a pretty ok movie. Don't expect too much and give it a try, there are certainly worse ways to spend an hour and a half.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'll keep Atlantis on my watchlist then. :)

Samuel Clemens posted:

Just don't watch the sequel, though that advice applies to a lot of Disney films.

The only exceptions I can think of are Aladdin 2 and possibly Pocahontas 2 (just as dull as Pocahontas 1)

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

I'll keep Atlantis on my watchlist then. :)

The only exceptions I can think of are Aladdin 2 and possibly Pocahontas 2 (just as dull as Pocahontas 1)
Aladdin and the King of Thieves is my personal favorite, though Lion King 1 1/2 is also fun. (Especially the MST3K-style commentary track with Timon and Pumba)

There are some really well done moments in Atlantis, I like the Hellboyesque design of Atlantis (unsurprisingly designed by the guy who did Hellboy), music for it is great, and in my opinion had some fun characters with good one liners. Its sad that Jim Varney knew he wasn't going to see the whole movie though :smith:

Some examples of the score which again I just adore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tx783Z5gso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXDOZJcCsso
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7dg-7_piGs

Also iirc the reason why the Atlantis sequel sucked was that it was actually 3 episodes for a failed TV series mashed together after the first movie disappointed.

Speaking of Treasure Planet, I blame that movie for getting that drat GooGoo Dolls song stuck in my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjPRDDXCz4
This I remember watching all the time from the first game I got for the PS2 on Christmas, which was the tie in game for the movie.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 26, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

achillesforever6 posted:

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is my personal favorite

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is the one sequel that I feel can measure up to the original. It uses the established characters in a novel way without it feeling contrived and provides a satisfying sense of closure to the franchise as a whole. The two Lion King sequels are pretty good as well and different enough in tone from each other that they can stand on their own. I also have something of a soft spot for Kronk's New Groove, though that might just be because of Patrick Warbuton.

achillesforever6 posted:

Also iirc the reason why the Atlantis sequel sucked was that it was actually 3 episodes for a failed TV series mashed together after the first movie disappointed.

I didn't know that, but it would explain a lot. A pity, since it might have worked well in a more serialized format, but there really wasn't enough content to fill 80 minutes of screen time.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Kojiro posted:

The animation in Atlantis really bugs me on occasion, like it's a bit overanimated, or something. Don't really know how to put it into words, it's no Bluth-style-jigging around but it just doesn't look great. Milo's enormous glasses that get in the way of his face are pretty annoying, too.

Overall, though, it's a pretty ok movie. Don't expect too much and give it a try, there are certainly worse ways to spend an hour and a half.

Yeah, and for something distinctly Mignola-inspired I really find most of the designs and general aesthetic pretty unappealing. I love Mignola's style but I don't think it translated well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darth TNT posted:

I really like Bambi II, enjoyed the new Winnie the Pooh as much as the original (WDAS not DisneyToon though), think The Rescuers Down Under is better than the original (also WDAS), and have an odd soft spot for Cinderella 3. Also I think Return to Neverland is not bad as long as you don't let the bad moral or your awareness of hentai bother you.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Pick posted:

Also I think Return to Neverland is not bad as long as you don't let the bad moral or your awareness of hentai bother you.

How would that even mat-OH. The octopus. :stonk:

Welp, there goes that bit of innocence that somehow managed to last this long.

I don't really remember the movie that well though, which moral are you talking about?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I seem to recall the film coming down in the main girl for lacking whimsy... in a warzone. Anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I feel nothing for the Bambi II sequel story wise but it is a VERY nice looking sequel. Bambi 2, Stitch has a Glitch, Lion King 1 1/2, and Brother Bear 2 all look pretty good for being straight to DVD.

Also how in the world did Brother Bear 2 get a sequel? I always forget that movie even existed. At least I remembered Home on the Range happened

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Brother bear is a very special movie one you realize when somebody mentions the movie and you totally remember it's a thing, Brother bear 2 is worse in that regards.

Besides, Brave did it better anyways.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I forced my friend to watch Tappy Toes with me Saturday, and if it wasn't for the fact that they really tried to cash in on Happy Feet, then would be one of those "Terrible, but enjoyable" films, the introduction alone was great, though a bit over the head of the intended audience (children). The birds that kidnap the egg are a good pairing and do have some good slapstick. The villain and his sea lion minion are a good pair.

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
I just saw the Croods, and I liked all but the last few minutes of it. It feels like an executive came in and went "hold up, hold up, hold up, you can't end a movie like that! There's kids watching!" Yeah, movies aimed at kids generally don't end on any sort of down note these days, but I liked the bittersweet ending that seemed to be coming together, where Grug sacrifices it all so his family could survive. His parting moments where they all realize they he's not coming with and his invention of the "hug", along with the following scene of him doing that last painting in the dark was really quite touching. Cut to the family blowing their shells after that to say goodbye before rolling the credits (maybe with some more Eep narration to book-end things) would have wrapped things up nicely. But it feels like the movie chickened out completely at the end. I'm not a proponent of dark or gritty endings because I feel like they're more "mature" by default. I argued that Flynn Rider staying dead in Tangled would have been stupid and counter-thematic. However, a less than perfect ending in the Croods would have fit the theme of evolving, progressing, and moving on, and the old ways unfortunately having to be left behind to seek a new means of living. Oh well.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

blurry! posted:

I just saw the Croods, and I liked all but the last few minutes of it. It feels like an executive came in and went "hold up, hold up, hold up, you can't end a movie like that! There's kids watching!" Yeah, movies aimed at kids generally don't end on any sort of down note these days, but I liked the bittersweet ending that seemed to be coming together, where Grug sacrifices it all so his family could survive. His parting moments where they all realize they he's not coming with and his invention of the "hug", along with the following scene of him doing that last painting in the dark was really quite touching. Cut to the family blowing their shells after that to say goodbye before rolling the credits (maybe with some more Eep narration to book-end things) would have wrapped things up nicely. But it feels like the movie chickened out completely at the end. I'm not a proponent of dark or gritty endings because I feel like they're more "mature" by default. I argued that Flynn Rider staying dead in Tangled would have been stupid and counter-thematic. However, a less than perfect ending in the Croods would have fit the theme of evolving, progressing, and moving on, and the old ways unfortunately having to be left behind to seek a new means of living. Oh well.

But then the adorable tiger would have died. It's not the dad dying that would have been the problem, it's THAT TIGER. :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

blurry! posted:

In my mind, it would have been one of the right films to take that stand. However, it had the impact it wanted when it wanted. I don't think most people watch films multiple times.

It's a great conflict and it helped solidify The Croods as one of my top three animated films of 2013.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

blurry! posted:

The reason I did not like it is that it was literally the same ending as HTTYD, except instead of each of them getting a different kind of dragon to ride they each get a different kind of pseudoanimal to ride.

However the parting shot on the beach is so beautiful I ignore my own complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Pixeltendo posted:

Brother bear is a very special movie one you realize when somebody mentions the movie and you totally remember it's a thing, Brother bear 2 is worse in that regards.

Besides, Brave did it better anyways.

I've always enjoyed just about every part of Brother Bear. Not many movies have the protagonist deliver a "Sorry I killed your mom, kid" scene.

• Locked thread