Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Al Monitor posted:

“There are photos that have been found of several emirs of ISIS with [Syrian President] Bashar al-Assad,” said Kilo, who spoke with Al-Monitor on the sidelines of the Geneva II talks.

“The pictures were taken before they became emirs in ISIS, when they were all officers in the Syrian special service. There are documents sent by the special service to ISIS telling them to capture or kidnap people in Raqqa and Jarabalus, and these documents will be published. And you will see how the regime fabricated these extremist groups that did not exist in our country at the beginning of the revolution.

“Without a doubt, we will use this as an argument during the negotiations,” Kilo warned. “We have officers who have defected from the [Syrian] special service who worked to create these terrorist organizations; people who used to work with al-Qaeda. They know the names and the dates and what they have done along with the directions they were given. All this is documented. The chief of the cabinet of [special security adviser to Assad] Mr. Ali Mamlouk defected one year ago, and he has documented this. If [Syrian Foreign Minister] Walid Moallem will talk about terrorism, he will receive a true lecture about terrorists. And you shall see.”

:munch:

Edit: It kind of sounds like Cairo is under attack.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Anansi
Jan 27, 2008
And poo poo's still blowing up. Heard this one from my apartment, even.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2014/01/24/fridays-fourth-bombing-leaves-one-dead/

quote:

An improvised explosive device (IED) exploded in front of Radobis cinema in Haram Street, Giza, at 5.15pm, reported state TV.

The explosion killed one and injured seven at time of writing.

Early morning the Cairo Security Directorate was targeted with a car bomb-leaving four dead and 76 injured- and two separate explosions in Giza happened hours later.

The bombing is the fourth one to take place one day before the 25 January 2011 revolution anniversary.

This is going to be just an awesome week, I tell you what.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
It seems a little absurd that the Syrian regime would create ISIS just to have them fight long, drawn-out sieges against them and then only three years into the conflict turn against the other rebels? I mean, if they have photos and evidence, why is the SNC withholding this information at all?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm betting they don't have evidence.

I don't completely disbelieve a link though. Intelligence services and rebels/dissidents often have a lot of overlap between them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Count Roland posted:

I don't completely disbelieve a link though. Intelligence services and rebels/dissidents often have a lot of overlap between them.

See al Qaeda and Pakistan's intelligence services. Or the FBI and COINTELPRO.

It could be that Syrian intelligence set them up initially to cause havoc in Iraq (especially with the rumors of ISIS housing former Sunni Iraqi Ba'ath Party officials) or to be unwitting agent provocateurs to discredit the rebel movement, but they spun out of control.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
Now that some German journalists have been hurt I'm seeing it on a lot more news sources.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Oh, and back in Lebanon, this Vice interview went completely loving insane midway through. Even for Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ej0UHdNRA

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Young Freud posted:

See al Qaeda and Pakistan's intelligence services. Or the FBI and COINTELPRO.

It could be that Syrian intelligence set them up initially to cause havoc in Iraq (especially with the rumors of ISIS housing former Sunni Iraqi Ba'ath Party officials) or to be unwitting agent provocateurs to discredit the rebel movement, but they spun out of control.

Edit: see also http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/the-ugly-truth-about-algeria-7146

The latter is almost a certainty. Release a bunch of known militant Salafis whilst you're still arresting thousands of peaceful, pro-democracy protesters because your constant bleating about "armed terrorist gangs" that don't exist doesnt fly as an excuse when machine-gunning demonstrations. Talk about blowback :thumbsup:

Doesn't even Zahran Alloush say that's likely why he was released?

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2014

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

dj_clawson posted:

Oh, and back in Lebanon, this Vice interview went completely loving insane midway through. Even for Vice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3ej0UHdNRA

Hahahaha holy crap. I like that the Imam hesitated twice before he decided, "Ok, Ok we'll wait to finish until after I shoot some people."

You can get in a street fight any day, but interviews with the press only come once in a while!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Hahahaha holy crap. I like that the Imam hesitated twice before he decided, "Ok, Ok we'll wait to finish until after I shoot some people."

You can get in a street fight any day, but interviews with the press only come once in a while!

I liked the parts where he gravitated instantly from "Strident Arabic Voice of the People" to English-speaking "wait a sec, take 5 bro" PR guy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I don't have a link, but Ansar Beit al-Maqdis claimed responsibility for the bombings in Cairo today. They specifically mentioned at least one of their targets by name, and said he was on the way to suppress a demonstration. This is a bad development- it conflates the Brotherhood with an Al-Qaeda inspired group, and implies some level of familiarity with the inner workings of the security forces.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kaal posted:

I liked the parts where he gravitated instantly from "Strident Arabic Voice of the People" to English-speaking "wait a sec, take 5 bro" PR guy.

They were both laughing at the end of the gunfight. What else do you do in that situation?

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

They were both laughing at the end of the gunfight. What else do you do in that situation?

You think, "I should ask VICE for a raise."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A DIY barrel bomb lands right next to a cameraman in Daraya, Damascus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZW-oAsUB8

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

Cocoa Ninja posted:

You think, "I should ask VICE for a raise."

After what they make the people in FRONT of the camera do? Nobody's getting a raise for this.

"Hey Thomas go to a village in Africa and wait around long enough to see some genocide. It's that or the Syrian border. The one with the most active fighting on it. Oh you don't speak Arabic? We're going to send you to Southeast Asia to get wrapped in tobacco and humiliate yourself like a male gigolo in Beijing. No you can't go to North Korea and possibly get jailed for filming illegally. We already have someone on that and he's still throwing up from the turtle blood the Yakuza made him drink."

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
As opposed to legitimate media networks who underpay local minors for images and haggle with freelance reporters on the front lines to buy their stories at rates so low that they are barely breaking even. You're being over-dramatic. Personally, I think portraying themselves as being on these dudebro adventures to make people want to watch is a tactic that doesn't compromise the truth nearly as much as media that has to maintain an ideological connection with its base, especially when it comes to real stories like their pieces on Aleppo, the coup in Egypt, and Rojava.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

There's something very appealing about the dudebro aspect even to me.

poo poo if they wanted me to go find Maoist rebels in India I'd probably think "eh, gently caress it why not."

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Brown Moses posted:

A DIY barrel bomb lands right next to a cameraman in Daraya, Damascus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tZW-oAsUB8

That's a pretty weird-looking bomb.

Do you have other pictures of barrel bombs of this type?

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

PleasingFungus posted:

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/syrias-barrel-bomb-technology-relative.html

Best BM has found so far, doesn't look as pronged as that one though

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

FizFashizzle posted:

poo poo if they wanted me to go find Maoist rebels in India I'd probably think "eh, gently caress it why not."

:eng101: There actually are Maoist rebels in India!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communist_Party_of_India_%28Maoist%29

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I know, that's why I said that. I'm in India now...just south of their supposed positions....if any of you VICE guys are reading this

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

I've got a large DIY barrel bomb playlist here, that shows various examples. For some reason it appears in earlier models they put the fins in the middle of the munition, which was very ineffective, so they moved them to the back.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

FizFashizzle posted:

Still the craziest, most informative thing in that vein that I've seen. There's maybe what, 20 dead here? Between barrel bombs, car bombs, large artillery, and all the conventional bombs, tens of thousands have had to have been killed in scenes just like this one that happen all over the country. Hard to even comprehend that level of human suffering.

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHUKBaFetJY
:nms:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Apparently they like blowing up schools. A lot.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Video has been posted online showing the helicopter that was shot down in Egypt recently. No ID on the MANPADS used though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgHQweUT1M

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

A historic moment in Tunisia as the consitution passes, 200 votes for, 12 against, with 4 abstaining

Here's some details

quote:

The role of Islam

The Islamists from Larayedh's Ennahda party, which headed the outgoing government, renounced previous demands to enshrine sharia Islamic law in the constitution. But the new document contains several references to religion, leaving certain parts open to interpretation.

The charter is written "in the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate", and the first article defines Tunisia as a "free, independent and sovereign state, with Islam as its religion", as did the 1959 document promulgated after independence.

Article 6, which guarantees "freedom of belief and conscience", says the state forbids any "attacks on the sacred", without elaborating.

It also includes a ban on "calls to charges for apostasy", a demand of the secular opposition, and the head of state must be a Muslim.

Double-headed executive

Executive power will be split between the prime minister, who will have the dominant role and answers to parliament, and the president, who is directly elected by the people.

The premier will decide the "general policy of the state", while the president will be responsible for "policies in the domains of defence, foreign relations and national security".

The president will not be able to dismiss the government, but will be able to put it to a vote of no confidence in the assembly. If the cabinet survives two such votes, the president will be forced to resign.

And the president can only dissolve the assembly if it fails to deliver a vote of confidence in a government within the timeframe stipulated in the constitution.

The constitution also defines the opposition as an "essential component" of the political process, and it will automatically be granted the presidency of the finance commission and the post of foreign relations rapporteur.

Rights and freedoms

The main innovation in the section dealing with rights and freedoms is the commitment to bringing about gender "parity in the elected assembly", which would make Tunisia the only country in the Arab world to have that objective.

The charter also recognises gender equality "without discrimination" in Tunisia.

It also guarantees other key rights, including freedom of expression and association as well as a free press and the right to strike.

Freedom of belief and conscience are also enshrined, although several lawmakers argued against them during the review.

But some NGOs have voiced concerns over the "sub-constitutional" status given to international treaties, which they fear could pave the way for Tunisia's non-compliance with its international human rights obligations.

The new constitution does not abolish the death penalty.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

Video has been posted online showing the helicopter that was shot down in Egypt recently. No ID on the MANPADS used though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgHQweUT1M

Whelp, Egypt was nice while it lasted. In a year's time, we'll be talking about Egyptian Civil War along with Syria Civil War and the Lebanon Civil War.

:smith:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Whelp, Egypt was nice while it lasted. In a year's time, we'll be talking about Egyptian Civil War along with Syria Civil War and the Lebanon Civil War.

:smith:

The military in Egypt has a much stronger grip on the country than Lebanon or Syria.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The military in Egypt has a much stronger grip on the country than Lebanon or Syria.

We said the same about Assad in Syria and Qaddafi in Libya. Even if Egyptian military is stronger than those two, it doesn't mean the majority of Egyptians aren't going to experience a civil war or an organized terror campaign (and subsequent military crackdown) in the future.

Now that the MANPADs and car bombs coming out, this bodes ill.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

On The Media did a 10 minute podcast on Vile Rat last week.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

Brown Moses posted:

On The Media did a 10 minute podcast on Vile Rat last week.

Before we get into "Vilerat was the single most important (white) casualty of the past few years (again)":

Vilerat posted:

Africa would have been subjected to a bloodbath of proportions unseen in history if the white man hadn't destroyed their culture first.

Examples I point to are as follows -

The Zulu nation was happily destroying not only all of it's neighbors, but many of their own people as the leadership happened to be certifiably insane. Shaka for example had a small penis (actually historically accurate) and killed thousands of people because of it. The zulu empire was actually not the bad one as the Matabele under Mzilikali after his loss to the zulu, took his tribe and conducted a scorched earth campaign across the lower section of africa destroying all in his path.

Lets not forget the laughable Xhosa girl Nongqawuse who said she saw visions that if everybody killed off their cattle and burned their fields the dead spirits of their ancestors would grant not only tenfold cattle in return, but destruction of the new white Anglo/Boer civilization in the southern cape. Needless to say after they slaughtered and burned everything no ancestors were forthcoming and 25 thousand of the Xhosa tribe died.
The tribes of africa were largely barbaric and vicious groups of people who really only understood killing for the most part. There were exceptions to the rule as there always are, the hottentots, and various smaller tribes, but for the most part african culture was set up to destroy other cultures to begin with.

I'm not going to say that they are better off having been colonized by the europeans, but the alternative was pretty vicious as well.

I know, for example, that the Congo would be a hell of a lot worse than it is today if it weren't for the noble intercession of the Belgians, because I am a wildly intelligent person who plays space video games and talks with people who play space video games and can't pronounce "Katyusha" the right way.

RIP Vilerat, this is part of the reason you were only a make believe space diplomat, not a real one. Also shame on NPR for producing this tripe.

Now back to Dead Arabs: The Thread.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS posted:

RIP Vilerat, this is part of the reason you were only a make believe space diplomat, not a real one. Also shame on NPR for producing this tripe.

Wow, is that for real?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Before we get into "Vilerat was the single most important (white) casualty of the past few years (again)":

I know, for example, that the Congo would be a hell of a lot worse than it is today if it weren't for the noble intercession of the Belgians, because I am a wildly intelligent person who plays space video games and talks with people who play space video games and can't pronounce "Katyusha" the right way.

Wait a minute, he's just saying Africa would be hosed either way, that's a valid opinion to have. I personally think he's wrong, but since he is dead, I can't argue with him about it, so it's a moot point anyway.

The rest of what you say looks a lot like personal attacks dressed up as criticism, so I'm a bit confused why you brought this up in the first place. Just to attack Vilerat? What's the point of this? Is this this mythical thing called "trolling"?

Either that or you completely misunderstood his argument. And he is wrong because he played a video game? What kind of counter-argument is this? Are we back in kindergarten now?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Libluini posted:

Wait a minute, he's just saying Africa would be hosed either way, that's a valid opinion to have. I personally think he's wrong, but since he is dead, I can't argue with him about it, so it's a moot point anyway.

The rest of what you say looks a lot like personal attacks dressed up as criticism, so I'm a bit confused why you brought this up in the first place. Just to attack Vilerat? What's the point of this? Is this this mythical thing called "trolling"?

Either that or you completely misunderstood his argument. And he is wrong because he played a video game? What kind of counter-argument is this? Are we back in kindergarten now?

The eternal D&D quest to be the edgiest poster since LF shut down. People speak well of Vilerat, so someone has to come and BLOW THE LID OFF THIS THING.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Vilerat had terrible opinions, sure, but what the hell does that have to do with anything now? Are you just taking advantage of the fact that Vilerat isn't around to immediately ban you for it?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

Wow, is that for real?

Yes, though he did take back some of that a some years later, and admitted it was dumb.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Go gently caress yourself.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rumours that Israel conducted an airstrike along the Syrian coast:
http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.570756

OBAMA CURES ALAWIS
Sep 5, 2013

by XyloJW

suboptimal posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

Well now sir, there's no reason to be rude in light of the facts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Erdogan has decided to become the Cyber-Caliph

quote:

PM Erdoğan uses hologram to address İzmir party members for first time in Turkey

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) has introduced the latest state-of-the-art innovation to Turkish politics, resorting to a tool usually found only in science-fiction books: The hologram.

3D holographic beams reflected Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s image as he addressed a party meeting in İzmir on Jan. 26.

“We are going to elections in the shadow of attacks prepared by treasonous networks. I urge all my mayoral candidates to not waste any of their time,” a holographic Erdoğan told the meeting via his 3D avatar.

With the move, the prime minister seems to be following in the footsteps of Indian politician Nerendra Modi, who was the first to use the technology in his election campaign.

The meeting was held to introduce local district mayoral candidates in İzmir, where the AKP’s campaign has been put in some difficulty due to graft allegations targeting a relative of its municipal candidate, former Transport Minister Binali Yıldırım.

The AKP is targeting the province, traditionally a bastion of the main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP), as a key battlefield in the upcoming local elections.

Another recent surprise is the AKP’s slogan for the Aegean province, which includes the English word “by”: “Çok kolay [very easy] BY Binalı Yıldırım.”

Yıldırım’s brother-in-law is among the suspects of a fraud investigation into transactions at the İzmir commercial harbor.

Here he is addressing pathetic creatures of meat and bone (AKP supporters)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZSXlvPVPfY

• Locked thread