Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Human posted:

Wow, the wrongest opinions are always in the Giant Bomb thread

Half the FGC only plays SF4 because it's popular and not because they enjoy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
SF4's better than goddamn marvel at least. Gen's an evo champ, the last interesting thing that happened in Marvel was Kurosu's team.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Grondoth posted:

SF4's better than goddamn marvel at least. Gen's an evo champ, the last interesting thing that happened in Marvel was Kurosu's team.

It depresses me that this is the truth. Even if they couldn't get the balance right (and downright neglected it after UMvC3), MvC3 was clearly made with a lot of love for the characters in it.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Even if SF4 is a better game, it's almost always so incredibly boring to watch even at the highest levels of play. It's just so sluggish-looking compared to arksys and snk fighters, or even compared to simplified fighting-ish games like nidhogg or divekick or lethal league.

That said, I usually skip watching Marvel these days too because it usually feels like no one there is really that invested in it. Eventually the same long 100% health combo by Zero or whoever stops being exciting or dramatic and just becomes routine.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Grondoth posted:

They're both bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Human posted:

Wow, the wrongest opinions are always in the Giant Bomb thread

Sorry, but no. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the game to begin with, but it is boring as fuuuuuuuck to watch. It's a game that actively encourages turtling and fireball spamming.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Sorry, but no. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the game to begin with, but it is boring as fuuuuuuuck to watch. It's a game that actively encourages turtling and fireball spamming.

This is also not why SF4 is boring.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This is also not why SF4 is boring.

The gently caress it is. The last time I checked it out at Evo half the matches revolved around one guy sitting back and waiting for the other guy to do something/gently caress up. That Gen win was only noteworthy because it was the one guy at the whole show who dared to do something different.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 25, 2014

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Hakkesshu posted:

The gently caress it is. The last time I checked it out at Evo half the matches revolved around one guy sitting back and waiting for the other guy to do something/gently caress up. That Gen win was only noteworthy because it was the one guy at the whole show who dared to do something different.

the match immediately before that featured balrog vs hakan

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Human posted:

the match immediately before that featured balrog vs hakan

Yes, obviously every match wasn't like that. Most of them were, though. And even the most exciting ones don't compare to some of the poo poo that was going down in KOF 13.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
SF4 isn't boring because people spam fireballs and turtle. Some of the best and most intense matches have had turtling and fireball spam. If you think that's boring then sorry I guess you just don't get what makes a fighting game good. SF4 is boring because of its slow movement pace, a lot of things are generally safe among other things and the Ultra (getting hit to gain meter) makes it easy for people to comeback. I don't like the game much because of these things and I also never liked focus attacks as well. But if you honestly think its boring because of fireball spam? Then yeah you have no authority to deem anything good or bad in the realm of fighting games.

Human
Jun 9, 2004

REAL HUMAN. SAFE TO APPROACH.

Hakkesshu posted:

Yes, obviously every match wasn't like that. Most of them were, though. And even the most exciting ones don't compare to some of the poo poo that was going down in KOF 13.

Evo top 16

1. DM|Xian (Gen)
2. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma)
3. Infiltration (Akuma, Hakan)
4. EG|PR Balrog (Balrog)
5. Haitani (Makoto)
5. HORI|Sako (Ibuki, Evil Ryu)
7. AvM|GamerBee (Adon)
7. MCZ|Daigo (Ryu)

9. Laugh (Ryu)
9. Qanba|Dakou (Cammy, Gen, Others)
9. CafeID|Poongko (Seth)
9. AGE|SnakeEyez (Zangief)
13. RZR|Latif (C. Viper)
13. EG|Justin Wong (Rufus)
13. Kazunoko (Yun)
13. AGE|Wolfkrone (C. Viper)

Basically every person had a completely different character, 10 of 16 maining characters without fireballs. Sorry, you don't really know what your talking about.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

SF4 isn't boring because people spam fireballs and turtle. Some of the best and most intense matches have had turtling and fireball spam. If you think that's boring then sorry I guess you just don't get what makes a fighting game good. SF4 is boring because of its slow movement pace, a lot of things are generally safe among other things and the Ultra (getting hit to gain meter) makes it easy for people to comeback. I don't like the game much because of these things and I also never liked focus attacks as well. But if you honestly think its boring because of fireball spam? Then yeah you have no authority to deem anything good or bad in the realm of fighting games.

That's not what I meant. The fact that the game encourages turtling and fireball spam are symptoms of what makes the game boring, i.e. they foster a slow pace and a focus on defense over offense. I pretty much agree with you, though you said it better. There were plenty of boring matches with characters that didn't have fireballs, also.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

mcsquared posted:

That DR3 QL is the most brad that ever brad. A brad look. Quick brad. Brad brad.

A Quick Look at Brad Shoemaker:

*video fades in with him agonizing over what sandwich to choose at a store for 5 minutes, ends up buying a salad bowl then remembers he's eaten one of these before and hated it*

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Was listening to one of the archived bombcasts from a while back where Vinny mentioned recording a podcast with his dad and that he may upload it at some point - did that ever make it to the site? Vinny having ridiculous talks with his dad about games sounds like it would be hilarious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Was listening to one of the archived bombcasts from a while back where Vinny mentioned recording a podcast with his dad and that he may upload it at some point - did that ever make it to the site? Vinny having ridiculous talks with his dad about games sounds like it would be hilarious.

Nope, unfortunately that never happened.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Vinny's video from paternity leave was pretty cool though, if you haven't seen it.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

What if you have seen it?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Then you're pretty cool.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe Matt Rorie shouldn't bike to work in the cold weather anymore.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe Matt Rorie shouldn't bike to work in the cold weather anymore.

What cold weather? It's 70F in the city today and it's been like this all week. It also hasn't rained in approximately a year so it's super dry as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's still cold in the morning. Oh wait I think the guys go to work a 11am or something.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
"Cold" if your body is used to treating 50 F as heavy jacket weather.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's hoodie weather.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It must be nice to live in California.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sucks for me because I hate the sun. Thankfully San Francisco is cold most of the time.

e: I lived in Los Angeles for a year and I wanted to die

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 26, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uPen posted:

What cold weather? It's 70F in the city today and it's been like this all week. It also hasn't rained in approximately a year so it's super dry as well.
Yeah I never want to hear someone who lives in California complain about the weather. Maybe if you live in the more inhospitable areas, but man, they've got it loving GOOD there. It was 4 degrees outside Boston last night, and that's not even that bad. Up in New Hampshire it was -17, and I'm sure in Colorado and poo poo it gets like -30 all the time. And in the Summer? humid as gently caress alongside 100-110 degrees.

That said, nothing beats spring and fall in New England. :c00l:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a list of all Gameroom videos. I know there is the playlist on the second post, but it actually missing one or two videos.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm sure in Colorado and poo poo it gets like -30 all the time. And in the Summer? humid as gently caress alongside 100-110 degrees.

Much like every other post you make, this is wrong.

Also, 50 degrees is tshirt weather, hoodies are for under 40.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Rirse posted:

Is there a list of all Gameroom videos. I know there is the playlist on the second post, but it actually missing one or two videos.

http://www.giantbomb.com/game-room/3030-30021/videos/

Should all be right there.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Much like every other post you make, this is wrong.

Also, 50 degrees is tshirt weather, hoodies are for under 40.

Watch out folks, Kung Fu Fist gently caress is on the warpath! Better not get in his way!

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
You appear to have flushed more than just nose junk out of your head with your little teapot kiddo. Condolences.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I suffer the same fate as Rorie. Every time I get a cold, I get a lingering cough that doesn't go away for months afterwords, and it sucks.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Does Rory smoke too?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

You appear to have flushed more than just nose junk out of your head with your little teapot kiddo. Condolences.
I just can't help but see the irony in you of all people calling other people out on being bad posters. It's amazing!

edit: wow this first Star Wars table in the Zen Pinball QL sucks.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 26, 2014

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
With video game pinball I want either realistic physics with real tables or something completely videogamey like Devil Crash. Megadrive version.

None of the Zen Pinball mix of real and fake.

edit: I mean look at this Devil Crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYj4papkEGQ

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Between 28.4 and 82.4 of your weird F units is what we get here.

Kinda owns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: wow this first Star Wars table in the Zen Pinball QL sucks.

Even as someone who's not into pinball, it's easy to tell how much more life and enthusiasm there is in some of the old Midway/Williams tables. I downloaded Pinball Arcade and played a bunch of Arabian Nights, and that table is loving awesome.

I wonder if Jeff has played any of Naxat's Crush games. My complete in box copy of Jaki Crush for the Super Famicom is one of my favourite pieces of gaming memorabilia. That game owns.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I just can't help but see the irony in you of all people calling other people out on being bad posters. It's amazing!

I didn't say you were bad cupcake, I said you were wrong. It doesn't get to -30 degrees in Colorado all the time, in fact -24 is the record coldest it's ever gotten in Denver. Also flushing salt water through your nose has dubious practical benefits, but if you need a little placebo to feel better, well thats nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't get it. Why do you think posting all "cutesy" doesn't make you come off as a complete cockhole and makes folks disregard anything you're trying to say, honey-cupcake-snuggle-muffin?

You can be informative without being a shithead, which is difficult for the posters in this thread I know, but try it sometime!

• Locked thread