Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I recently went to the Billy Ireland Cartoon library and found this old tales from the crypt reprint from the early sixties. I thought you guys would enjoy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Smoking Crow posted:

I recently went to the Billy Ireland Cartoon library and found this old tales from the crypt reprint from the early sixties. I thought you guys would enjoy this.

Hey, that's one of my all-time favorite Tales from the Crypt stories! "Operation Friendship," from issue #41 (April/May 1954), story probably by Al Feldstein, art obviously by Jack Davis. It's a shame that its "adaptation" for the HBO series had nothing in common with it except the title.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Since this seems to be the best place to talk about it George Romero's Empire of the Dead came out today and I was full on expecting to be disappointed in it but I actually really liked it.

Now I'll straight up say I love Maleev's artwork so I would pretty much get the book for that anyway but the story itself, it's such a god drat rear end Romero zombie story that it works. It really feels like a sequel to Night/Dawn/Day/Land minus the terrible acting and effects that he's been dealing with for the last number of years. Not to say it's perfect or anything, there are some real corny/hammy moments in it but that just makes them feel more genuinely Romero. So yeah it's a continuation of "smart zombies, corrupt officials and crazy scientists" and it feels good.

I didn't even mind the retcon to Night that it does and there's a moment at the end of the issue that is so ridiculous that it's a fake out but I kind of don't want it to be so Romero can go even crazier.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 22, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I picked up the Empire book on your recommendation and it was a pretty decent read. I hope it's a limited run because zombie stories are a dime a dozen, but as a start it's pretty solid, I'm looking forward to future issues.

Edit: took me a second to get what you meant by fake-out, and while the branchoff is a little (well, seriously) left-field at least we're not being fed the same tired zombie bullshit. Least they're all 'undead.'

DJ Fuckboy Supreme fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 26, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

NotAnArtist posted:

I picked up the Empire book on your recommendation and it was a pretty decent read. I hope it's a limited run because zombie stories are a dime a dozen, but as a start it's pretty solid, I'm looking forward to future issues.

Edit: took me a second to get what you meant by fake-out, and while the branchoff is a little (well, seriously) left-field at least we're not being fed the same tired zombie bullshit. Least they're all 'undead.'

I just loved the "different living dead" line because of how camp the character's appearance had been up to there, he's straight up Bela Lugosi Dracula. As far as I'm aware it's a limited run told in a number of "Acts" either way I can't see them dragging things out past say 20 issues.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Waterhaul posted:

I just loved the "different living dead" line because of how camp the character's appearance had been up to there, he's straight up Bela Lugosi Dracula. As far as I'm aware it's a limited run told in a number of "Acts" either way I can't see them dragging things out past say 20 issues.

I don't mind Romero jumping the shark if it's told well, or as well as a comic can be done. I'm still of the opinion that there's going to be a more mundane explanation behind that character, since as you said the level of camp is pretty absurd.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waterhaul posted:

Since this seems to be the best place to talk about it George Romero's Empire of the Dead came out today and I was full on expecting to be disappointed in it but I actually really liked it.

Now I'll straight up say I love Maleev's artwork so I would pretty much get the book for that anyway but the story itself, it's such a god drat rear end Romero zombie story that it works. It really feels like a sequel to Night/Dawn/Day/Land minus the terrible acting and effects that he's been dealing with for the last number of years. Not to say it's perfect or anything, there are some real corny/hammy moments in it but that just makes them feel more genuinely Romero. So yeah it's a continuation of "smart zombies, corrupt officials and crazy scientists" and it feels good.

I didn't even mind the retcon to Night that it does and there's a moment at the end of the issue that is so ridiculous that it's a fake out but I kind of don't want it to be so Romero can go even crazier.

When someone told me about it I looked it up on Diamond and thought "motherfucker don't tell me there are vampires in this poo poo and its zombies vs vampires" and then clicked the next solicit and went "Son of a bitch"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it isn't a versus thing so far if it is really what it appears and to be fair it's not like Romero hasn't done one of the best vampire films along with his good zombie films.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Waterhaul posted:

Well it isn't a versus thing so far if it is really what it appears and to be fair it's not like Romero hasn't done one of the best vampire films along with his good zombie films.

That's how the solicit made it sound and I'm really hoping that's just a bad solicit, because the actual comic was pretty alright.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Which film was that now? I wasn't aware that Romero departed much from his usual fare.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Martin.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Cool, thanks for that. Didn't read much of the synopsis because I'd rather watch it, now to hunt it down.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

NotAnArtist posted:

Cool, thanks for that. Didn't read much of the synopsis because I'd rather watch it, now to hunt it down.

Martin is really good too. Right up there with The Dead Trilogy and Creepshow as far as Romero films go.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Read the comic today. It's alright, and it totally feels Romero-ish. I didn't mind the retcon because, to be fair, it doesn't actually contradict anything, and Romero's always kind of wanted his heroines to be the strong survivors since then. As far as the twist, I don't think it really needs spoilers, since if you look close, it's spoiled on the cover of the issue. But I'll play along for now.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

So issue 2 of Empire of the Dead came out last week and it's a weird shift from the first one. Given that they are going full hog with it I'm surprised that the story Romero really wanted to tell was a twist on vampires vs zombies. He's still doing some interesting things with it though and I'm actually liking the zombies regaining their humanity a lot more than in say Land of the Dead. Also Maleev's art is still great.

And given that it's a horror book I have to say that despite the name Afterlife with Archie is a really good book if you want to read some zombie stuff. It's managed to morph an Archie book into a really effective 80s zombie film and I think possibly the best use of Francesco Francavilla's art and colours. It's just some real grim and messy stuff.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I've been catching up on some of the trades for BPRD, but it's very difficult to find a copy of vol 13 1947 for some reason, both it vol 11, and 14 have been sold out on amazon for weeks now and I'm hoping it'll come back.

Also any opinions on FUBAR the zombie's in world war II book? Is it any good?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Arise thread.

So I recently bought a nice hardcover of Uzumaki a few weeks ago and finally got to read through the series. This is the first time I've actually got to read the entire thing in one go and am I the only one where it kind of falls apart with the introduction of the flying tornado gangs? I think it manages to pull itself back by the very end but man I have no idea why they felt the need to add that.

Yeah I know it has snail people and that already but still.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

Arise thread.

So I recently bought a nice hardcover of Uzumaki a few weeks ago and finally got to read through the series. This is the first time I've actually got to read the entire thing in one go and am I the only one where it kind of falls apart with the introduction of the flying tornado gangs? I think it manages to pull itself back by the very end but man I have no idea why they felt the need to add that.

Yeah, that is the exact point where it stops being a horror comic and starts being a weird surreal apocalypse comic and just completely falls apart. The crazy ending is all right, but everything leading up to it is just nonsensical and not too interesting. Some parts of it verge on self-parody when all the weird spiral manifestations start interacting with each other and the hero is just numb to it.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
If you haven't, everyone should read this EC story. It's really one of the best.

http://cacb.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/ec-comics-master-race/

I have a copy in one of those really nice EC reprint books but it's too big for my scanner so you'll just have to squint at the blogger version. But seriously check out that storytelling. Just amazing stuff.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Arise thread.

I don't agree that it falls apart, but there is definitely a shift. Overall it feels like a bunch of short stories that are loosely tied together, so I won't blame it for not following a typical dramatic structure and taking really weird turns into surreal dreamland. That progression is also part of its appeal for me, though I'm not a big fan of the "hair" story myself.

I do think Gyo falls apart when they go into the weird demon circus, though. That's a much bigger tonal shift; at least the constant feeling of dread and absence of logic remains consistent in Uzumaki.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 22, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

If you haven't, everyone should read this EC story. It's really one of the best.

http://cacb.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/ec-comics-master-race/

I have a copy in one of those really nice EC reprint books but it's too big for my scanner so you'll just have to squint at the blogger version. But seriously check out that storytelling. Just amazing stuff.

This is excellent, thanks. Such great control of time in those panel transitions. And the linework has kind of a Ditko feel.

Would you mind pointing me towards some good reprints of this kind of material? I snagged this collection on Comixology a while back and it's great, and I've read a bunch of the Creepy/Eerie stuff, but the EC stuff I'm kinda underexposed to.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Waterhaul posted:

Arise thread.

I love the end of Uzumaki, because it really doubles down on all the crazy. I think the series' pacing is pretty clever, because it's actually paced like a spiral - things move faster and faster and get more and more insane right up to the end where everything inevitably leads to one final point.

Also the last three or so issues when they're wandering through the town and wilderness are fantastic. The tornado gangs are a bit goofy, but so is pretty much everything else in the series. And Ito's always enjoyed action sequences - there are similar ones in Hellstar Remina and Gyo. The ending of Uzumaki is especially reminiscent of the end to Remina (albeit much better).

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

I read Uzumaki quite some time ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the whole thing. Early on I remember things being generally at a state of unease, where characters were acting just a little off, without there being anything truly supernatural (the heroine's father's growing obsession with spirals, for example). Eventually you get snail people and the township fusing into one grotesque mass inside their spiral house, which is pretty much as far left-field that you can get.

I would disagree that the series 'fell apart' however; it was said previously very succinctly that the events of the series spiral faster and faster out of control to the wackadoo finale. It worked for me, despite how depressing it was.

I read a bunch of Ito's ''Souchi's Diary of Delights'' and I wonder if his narratives were influenced by EC's Cryptkeeper series.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love the end of Uzumaki, because it really doubles down on all the crazy. I think the series' pacing is pretty clever, because it's actually paced like a spiral - things move faster and faster and get more and more insane right up to the end where everything inevitably leads to one final point.

Also the last three or so issues when they're wandering through the town and wilderness are fantastic. The tornado gangs are a bit goofy, but so is pretty much everything else in the series. And Ito's always enjoyed action sequences - there are similar ones in Hellstar Remina and Gyo. The ending of Uzumaki is especially reminiscent of the end to Remina (albeit much better).

Reading this I think it's more the action scenes then the concept of tornado gangs throwing me off. I like how the book started as being weird and gross and spiraled :v: to just more absurd and crazy stuff until it eventual ended where it had to with a giant Lovecraftian underground city but that action piece of dudes going all Banshee and trying to knock down houses, just the image really knocked the rest of the book for me. I do agree though that I really liked how the last few chapters were just people wandering around in the wilderness, especially with trying to carry Kirie's brother and him just kind of melting into a snail as they progress.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
For those who like horror of the classic monsters stripe, I just bought and really enjoy this collection of Dick Briefer Frankenstein strips from the 1940s and 50s.

If you don't know, Dick Briefer did Frankenstein stories in both a horrific and humorous mold, and the design of the book reflects this in a pretty awesome way: with a die-cut cover with scary Frank on the outside and funny Frank on the inside.

The humor strips and the horror strips are equally excellent in completely different ways. This site has a number of samples of the funny strips, but I don't think they overlap with the ones in the book, so you won't be spoiling anything.

Anyway: I recommend it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

aggh! This thread has made me remember I have the third issue of Empire of the Dead sitting unread in the trunk of my car since Saturday!

Also, am I the only one that's read any of the Darkhorse "Grindhouse" series? It looks like it goes in two-issue stories, but I've only read the first one. I've got to get around to getting some more soon, but it's not bad so far. The first story is about a small town in Texas turned into sexy bee-zombies. The covers are outta sight great above all else.

Oh, and so I'm not solely hijacking the thread, I totally agree about Uzimaki losing its steam with the weird Tornado gang. I've read a lot of Junji Ito, and it seems like the longer he sticks with a story, the more likely he is to have it fall apart, as also mentioned with the circus sequence in Gyo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Who's junji Ito?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Horror manga author who does some pretty interesting stuff with body horror:

He has a pretty distinct style. He also did the comic "Cat Diary" about a bunch of cats his wife brought home. Except he did it in his usual style, which was absolutely hilarious.

Ed: He also did The Enigma of Amigara Fault which earned a bit of notoriety on the internet. People seem to disagree on whether it's any good or not, though.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 23, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Junji Ito rules for his ability to introduce calm, rational people into scenarios that completely break their ability to cope with reality in.

Amigahara puts two totally believable protagonists into a situation where nobody has a hope of escaping, and their only recourse is to accept their gangly, monstrous fate.

I read that short story around Halloween of 2012 and had a terrible nightmare the same day - it doesn't help that I have a fear of caves, mind. The imagery (I like to assume a Lovecraftian inspiration) stuck but good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Never heard of him.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well read some of his comics. They are pretty awesome.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

It's ironic that it's Amigara Fault that the internet has latched on to to turn into a meme base, considering it's one of the very few stories of his that I would argue has an intention beyond people being stuck in a surreal and mind-breaking horror situation they and we aren't meant to understand. Junji Ito's biggest strength is that he's able to capture that same kind of horror of something unknowable and beyond humanity's ken that was the main thrust of Lovecraft's work, yet so few of his followers was able to replicate.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Just go read Amigara Fault now. It's like 20 pages, it's worthwhile just to get the references in this thread.

The thing with Ito is you have to meet him halfway. Nobody's going to try and tell you that smelly robot zombie fish blimps aren't a little silly, but it's worth the effort to take it seriously.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also don't watch the Gyo or Uzumaki movies. They're real bad. I don't know about the Tomie TV show, but that's never gotten an American release anyway.

Finding all of his stuff is basically impossible, I keep turning up more collections of short stories online. I'd love it if he'd release a definitive collection of all his work. But I think I've found all of his serials or long-form works, which are (not in publication order):

Uzumaki
Gyo
Tomie
Hellstar Remina
Black Paradox
Lovesick Dead
Souichi's Diary of Delights (and Diary of Curses).

Although the last one is pretty much just a collection of inter-connected individual stories without a running narrative. He's also got a lot of short story collections. A lot of his stories are hit-or-miss. He's good at horror, less so at metaphor. Some of his stuff is pretty unsubtle and preachy about things like drugs (Splatter Film) or the environment (Black Paradox).

Edit: Almost forgot Lovesick Dead.

FactsAreUseless fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 23, 2014

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There was a goon compiling all the translations he could find here; I believe he also translated a good deal of them as a Halloween present for ADTRW.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also don't watch the Gyo or Uzumaki movies. They're real bad. I don't know about the Tomie TV show, but that's never gotten an American release anyway.

I love the Uzumaki movie. It's got a bit of a wackier tone than the manga, but it's a really fun watch.

I need to read Cat Diary.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Uzamaki film is just alright. It also, iirc, came out while the story was still being written, and ends about halfway through the story kind of abruptly.

I'm pretty sure Tomie is actually a series of straight-to-video films, not a tv series, though I could be mistaken. I've seen a handful of them, and some of them get pretty crazy, but never to the level the book gets.

The only other thing I've seen that he had any involvement in was Marrionier, which is a weird film about doll enthusiasts that feels like two films crashed together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BTW Benito that Frankenstein collection looks right up my alley and I can get it through the library, thanks fir the tip.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I just read the manga I Am a Hero and I'm in the mood for some more horror comics. Are there any American horror comics out there that have a slow-burner intro, a series that takes its time before showing the monsters? One thing that drives me nuts when I read most American comics is they establish the setting and within a half a panel the hero's already running from a wave of ghouls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've only read the first trade so far but Rachel Rising is a fairly slow-burn horror comic. It's also one of the few horror comics I've read in a while that genuinely unnerved me.

• Locked thread