Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The MAVLAM is probably either low priority or a goddamn nightmare to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I think the changes seem fair enough. It's nice they're addressing MAA even though it was pretty fun to poo poo on helis for 20 mins.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm sure they're still at the stage of "why the gently caress does this happen" phase of fixing MAVLAM.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The MP443 is a goddamn headshot machine.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
In regards to the MAVFLAM, does it work with anything else? I swear I was MAVFLAMing on Silk Road today until somebody took offense and shot down my little lazer buddy. With no ammo in sight, I hopped into an unoccupied LAV and continued to get designation locks. My SOFLAM was hidden behind a rock, away from the battlefield so unless someone else was helping you could possible self-TOW things as a sniper. :dice:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
There hasn't been a game with the MAVLAM where I haven't gotten multiple team members shooting the gently caress out of what I was lasing, complete with a string of "holy poo poo whoever is lasing THANK YOU" popping up in chat.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AkrisD posted:

In regards to the MAVFLAM, does it work with anything else? I swear I was MAVFLAMing on Silk Road today until somebody took offense and shot down my little lazer buddy. With no ammo in sight, I hopped into an unoccupied LAV and continued to get designation locks. My SOFLAM was hidden behind a rock, away from the battlefield so unless someone else was helping you could possible self-TOW things as a sniper. :dice:

It happens with anything that isn't a personal weapon. So vehicles, turrets, whatever. You can even do it as the fixed TOW launchers, which is extra funny because you have unlimited ammo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Target Practice posted:

There hasn't been a game with the MAVLAM where I haven't gotten multiple team members shooting the gently caress out of what I was lasing, complete with a string of "holy poo poo whoever is lasing THANK YOU" popping up in chat.

Something splendid about seeing your own missile launched, followed by five or six others hounding the target.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Erata posted:

Wow, the LAW needed a nerf??? Haha, whatever :dice:!

The first month of the game was actually the closest I've gotten to being mad at video games in awhile. In between all the crashes and bugs I'd be constantly assaulted by a barrage of easy-mode, auto-tracking launchers.

They had moderately high DPS and could hit you behind cover without any significant effort from the user. Just fire as close the the edge of the cover as you could and let the autoseeking properties finish the job. And they're also really easy to use when on the Scout Helo's skids.

Vasudus posted:

The MAVLAM is probably either low priority or a goddamn nightmare to fix.

I called it with my friends after we abused the UCAV until they fixed it. They just brute forced the fixes to Mortar and UCAV spam by just giving them absurd resupply rates. It's going to take a little more than changing an integer value.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp
As annoying as being on the receiving end of EOD bots is in Locker it's pretty funny when a teammate uses it and I come up behind a group of enemies all frantically shooting it while I just sit there killing them all.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

AkrisD posted:

Works for gunner on AH. I can kill any vehicle by myself with it and let my pilot just worry about keeping us not dead.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Target Practice posted:

What is the MAVLAM? I usually only play engineer or support and google isnt helping me here.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

PlushCow posted:

What is the MAVLAM? I usually only play engineer or support and google isnt helping me here.

SOFLAM/MAV loadout with recon, drop SOFLAM anywhere and switch to MAV, anything you see will get lazed by the SOFLAM even if it has no line of sight to the target. You can also just drop a SOFLAM by itself anywhere and do the same thing with vehicles instead of using the MAV. It's very nice for the attack boat, the IFVs and etc.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Anyone had cruise missiles primed and ready, but not able to launch? This happens occasionally for me even if the team has the requisite flag. Maybe a server setting?

The Gunslinger posted:

SOFLAM/MAV loadout with recon, drop SOFLAM anywhere and switch to MAV, anything you see will get lazed by the SOFLAM even if it has no line of sight to the target.

Really? When I tried it yesterday, after finally unlocking the MAV, it seemed like there had to be a line of sight for the SOFLAM.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kaustik posted:

I called it with my friends after we abused the UCAV until they fixed it. They just brute forced the fixes to Mortar and UCAV spam by just giving them absurd resupply rates. It's going to take a little more than changing an integer value.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it should be exactly as easy as trawling through all the vehicle properties and changing a 1 to a 0.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SplitSoul posted:

Anyone had cruise missiles primed and ready, but not able to launch? This happens occasionally for me even if the team has the requisite flag. Maybe a server setting?

I think if the CD for cruise missiles comes up and the flag is lost then recapped without it being launched, you get locked out of it. I've experienced it a couple of times now.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

I think if the CD for cruise missiles comes up and the flag is lost then recapped without it being launched, you get locked out of it. I've experienced it a couple of times now.

It can also be stopped by the EMP UAV

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
All of those changes are a massive quality of life improvement for everyone at the expense of only the most low effort players.

Now they just need to disable gadgets and vehicle weapons inside the deployment.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Re: LAW DPS!

Oh ok, I didn't realize that the overall damage output was faster and more preferable than the perks directional damage gave. Yes, I agree that they were annoying, but due to it being initially dumbfire, didn't think it was all that big of a deal once you got a couple hundred meters out.

Also the initial response to the LAW was "this thing is garbage" and I still buy into that sentiment today. Maybe if I get ammo support I'll try out the LAW again in combination with anti-tank spec for extra missiles! Sounds interesting.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Smegmatron posted:

All of those changes are a massive quality of life improvement for everyone at the expense of only the most low effort players.

Now they just need to disable gadgets and vehicle weapons inside the deployment.

I'm not sure how nerfing the AA helps everyone, Skygods already can run the map they will have an easier time after this.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

socialsecurity posted:

I'm not sure how nerfing the AA helps everyone, Skygods already can run the map they will have an easier time after this.

Nope.

The gently caress you MAA set up remains unchanged except for carrying two fewer missiles. Isn't really a massive change since as soon as you fire one missile the rearm bar starts filling up.

Edit: Unless you're sad about ARMs not having a 180 degree field of view anymore. If that's the case, sorry but the jets need to aim at things to hit them and now you do too.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 27, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

SplitSoul posted:

Really? When I tried it yesterday, after finally unlocking the MAV, it seemed like there had to be a line of sight for the SOFLAM.

It really works, you can add me on Battlelog (Vernoz) later and I will MAVLAM while you javelin or SRAW if you like. I've literally put my SOFLAM against a huge boulder to hide it before. It makes the wide open vehicle maps like Railway bearable.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it should be exactly as easy as trawling through all the vehicle properties and changing a 1 to a 0.

Has anyone ever tried to reproduce the bug in BF3? Vehicles inheriting the SOFLAM projectile and gadgets counting as people occupied vehicles for purposes of capturing flags (now fixed) makes me genuinely curious as to how gadgets are handled differently in BF4.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Kaustik posted:

Has anyone ever tried to reproduce the bug in BF3? Vehicles inheriting the SOFLAM projectile and gadgets counting as people occupied vehicles for purposes of capturing flags (now fixed) makes me genuinely curious as to how gadgets are handled differently in BF4.

P sure you can't have a MAV and SOFLAM out at the same time, since one of the slots is reserved for the spawn beacon.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I really don't want the divebombing jetlords from BF3 returning. I remember they were able to basically bomb the poo poo out of the AA while barely reaching a range you could hit them, the only counter was another jet. I feel like the MAA nerf was fine with just active radar taking a hit. Some of the maps are like matchboxes where jets and AA shouldn't even be included is the real issue.

Nah this isn't really true at all. MAA was actually really good against jets, you just had to be sort of good with it (a concept pretty far removed from BF4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2m3mG4jeVk.

socialsecurity posted:

Are you talking about BF4??

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Robot Randy posted:

P sure you can't have a MAV and SOFLAM out at the same time, since one of the slots is reserved for the spawn beacon.

You could still try using regular vehicles. I might try it when I get a chance later tonight.

E: Only reason I'm curious is because I remember BF3 was out for awhile before they patched it so that you don't automatically enter your gadget when you place it which is a key component to the MAVLAM bug.

Kaustik fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 27, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking about it, I'm not sure making the 20mm MAA cannon a weaker version of the 30mm is the right solution. It still has the higher rate of fire I guess but it seems weird to make the two equivalent in bullet speed. I was expecting something like reducing the accuracy of the 20mm, or reducing its bullet travel time but keeping the same bullet speed so it can't hit things from across the map at all.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, the only reason I ran 20mm was the superior velocity. Time to switch to the dark side, clearly.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not sure making the 20mm MAA cannon a weaker version of the 30mm is the right solution. It still has the higher rate of fire I guess but it seems weird to make the two equivalent in bullet speed. I was expecting something like reducing the accuracy of the 20mm, or reducing its bullet travel time but keeping the same bullet speed so it can't hit things from across the map at all.

MAA needed less range on the 20mm because it's effective range before this nerf is 1200m, pretty much longer then anything in the game. It meant along with ARMs (which have unlimited range) that the MAA can literally spam from spawn the spawn with impunity. In contrast the Attack Helicopter's best weapon (TV Missile) has a range of 1000m, is much slower, does less damage, and is harder to control. I agree that an accuracy nerf would probably work well and don't know why they didn't do it, but we will have to see how good the MAA still is after this nerf.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I totally get that SLAMs are better than mines in almost every situation, but I don't see how reducing the damage range will discourage people from putting them in one spot. If anything, that only makes that strategy more lucrative since the likelihood of getting 3 hits if they're spread out is being decreased exponentially. The downside is that you have to hide them better since they need to be in a spot that gives them the highest probability for a hit, but they still beat mines in that regard.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

Someguy posted:

MAA needed less range on the 20mm because it's effective range before this nerf is 1200m, pretty much longer then anything in the game. It meant along with ARMs (which have unlimited range) that the MAA can literally spam from spawn the spawn with impunity. In contrast the Attack Helicopter's best weapon (TV Missile) has a range of 1000m, is much slower, does less damage, and is harder to control. I agree that an accuracy nerf would probably work well and don't know why they didn't do it, but we will have to see how good the MAA still is after this nerf.

Don't play coy, you know fully well that so long as the MAA can equip Zunis and has superior inclination/declination angles, it'll be a beast.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
E: I'm dumb.

E2: Flying the AH felt really bad when I had to go up against an MAA with ARMs. I never felt the 20 mm did gently caress all to the AH other than be a nuisance. In a LB I mostly just avoid the cannon fire. Transport helicopters are just a flying death taxi. I fly them only when I feel like getting people to objectives at the cost of crashing in a fiery heap thirty seconds after dropping them off.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 27, 2014

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

Don't play coy, you know fully well that so long as the MAA can equip Zunis and has superior inclination/declination angles, it'll be a beast.

Oh, I know :)

Which is kind of why I was puzzled to hear that they are buffing Zuni's damage against helicopters since once you get a single rocket hit and corresponding mobility disable, the battle is as good as over. But whatever, they are my favorite addition to this series so long live our Zuni overlords.

editvv: hmm for some reason I thought I read that they were buffing zuni's against air vehicles somewhere, must have gotten it mixed up

Someguy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 27, 2014

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someguy posted:

Oh, I know :)

Which is kind of why I was puzzled to hear that they are buffing Zuni's damage against helicopters since once you get a single rocket hit and corresponding mobility disable, the battle is as good as over. But whatever, they are my favorite addition to this series so long live our Zuni overlords.

They aren't buffing Zuni rockets against helicopters, they're buffing helicopter-equipped Zuni rockets. They're supposed to be a slower firing but harder hitting (if you actually hit with the rocket, very little splash) rocket but they do far too little damage even with a direct hit to be worth using.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

socialsecurity posted:

Hey man, saw some poor skygod that was like 38-4 the other day. Poor guy had to suffer the humiliation of 4 deaths. FOUR. That's just unacceptable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

quote:

5) Increased the direct damage done by the Attack Helicopter’s gunner cannon. The gunner will be better able to assist the pilot in taking down vehicle targets with this change.

Finally. Glad I wasn't crazy when I thought they did much less damage compared to their BF3 version.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

jisforjosh posted:

:dice: :sigh:

Merica posted:

It can also be stopped by the EMP UAV

Yeah, but what I described is the requisite flag being captured, the missile ability fully loaded, but the icon remaining greyed out.

The Gunslinger posted:

It really works, you can add me on Battlelog (Vernoz) later and I will MAVLAM while you javelin or SRAW if you like. I've literally put my SOFLAM against a huge boulder to hide it before. It makes the wide open vehicle maps like Railway bearable.

Must've been something else, then. I'll give it another try.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Apropos to nothing in particular, I just thought I'd say I had an absolute blast playing with a bunch of you guys on The Bar Room last night (Origin: BarbarianSteve), and was blown away by how much more fun being part of a squad that actually works together made things.

I'd also like to paraphrase the advice someone gave earlier regarding making Recon fun to grind: Shotguns and C4 baby yeah.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Someguy posted:

MAA will probably be fine. It's just silly they thought "MAA sitting in base spraying at whatever jets it can see" was a problem, but "Attack Helicopter launching absurd TV missiles while hovering above the base" in BF3 was never addressed. At least in BF4 China Rising and some stock maps you can end up with multiples of various vehicles instead of having one moron monopolizing things. rear end in a top hat sitting in spawn launching TV-guideds off the boat on Hainan, I'm looking at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I really need to expand my friends list to include many goons so I can expect more than :downswords: from teammates from time to time. Origin/soldier name is whatspeakyou if some of you goons want to add an engineer who likes to run around with stingers (if no MAVFLAM is available, otherwise Javelins/SRAWs), SLAMS because gently caress tanks, and the MTAR-21 Death Laser. :black101:

• Locked thread