Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
After watching yet another new player ignore my advice/pleas in chat, I think the rocket jumper and sticky jumper both need to be removed from the drop list. I have seen far too many people trying to use them as actual weapons without reading the description. Give them a craft recipe so they can still be acquired, but people need to actually look the thing up first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Nameless Pete posted:

After watching yet another new player ignore my advice/pleas in chat, I think the rocket jumper and sticky jumper both need to be removed from the drop list. I have seen far too many people trying to use them as actual weapons without reading the description. Give them a craft recipe so they can still be acquired, but people need to actually look the thing up first.

I feel like vital configs like hit sounds and damage numbers should be included by default. Or at least advertised better in-game. It's too easy to be fooled by what you see client-side, and you basically need to read the wiki to learn about how ramp-up works

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Nameless Pete posted:

I'll never forget the engineer who didn't know how to build things that was using the frontier justice.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

dhamster posted:

I feel like vital configs like hit sounds and damage numbers should be included by default. Or at least advertised better in-game. It's too easy to be fooled by what you see client-side, and you basically need to read the wiki to learn about how ramp-up works

I have an alias to tell people about that, dunno how much good it does:

quote:

alias "protip" "say PROTIP! If you haven't done it yet, go into Advanced Options and turn on the following:; wait 100; say Automatic Reload, Fast Weapon Switching, Hitsound, and Damage Numbers."

Spending time on Valve servers as a medic has been really frustrating too, so I should make an alias saying something like "PROTIP! Stay near your medic. If you protect him, he will keep you and the rest of the team alive and dangerous." It's amazing how scared newbies are of medics, they seriously run away from you like you're going to give them an unwarranted prostate exam irl.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
You can paint these motherfuckers

joethesurly
Mar 10, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

Rocket Jumper. Buff Banner. Escape Plan.
Seeing that loadout made me step away from my computer and contemplate life for a while.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I think Valve should remove the Sniper class. That is all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Charles Bukowski posted:

But then who will I Caber/Shovel to death on a regular basis?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

joethesurly posted:

Seeing that loadout made me step away from my computer and contemplate life for a while.

Can I imagine the Sad Hulk music playing as part of your reaction?

EDIT: vvv My "favorite" hacker so far a few days ago was somebody who went from backstabbing from hundreds of feet away and his pals saying "It's a spectator glitch", to INVISIBLE ENGINEER. You knew it was an engineer because sentries would build themselves in front of you, remove sappers from themselves in front of you, and then you would be wrenched to death with nobody around or shown on the killcam :stare:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 27, 2014

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

You'd deny us this masterpiece? http://youtu.be/PaEHnfDcwE8?t=8m26s

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 27, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Have you guys noticed an increase in hackers recently? I've seen a number on my usual servers and I've read about others on other forums over the weekend.

They are so obvious it's ridiculous. Constantly spinning around and then just stopping too kill people. I'm guessing that it's just the idiots that don't know how too configure the hack properly that I'm seeing.

There must be loads more that know how to use it properly that are possibly slipping through though, keep an eye out.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jippa posted:

Have you guys noticed an increase in hackers recently? I've seen a number on my usual servers and I've read about others on other forums over the weekend.

They are so obvious it's ridiculous. Constantly spinning around and then just stopping too kill people. I'm guessing that it's just the idiots that don't know how too configure the hack properly that I'm seeing.

There must be loads more that know how to use it properly that are possibly slipping through though, keep an eye out.
I'm actually seeing the opposite recently - lots of new players with chronic tunnel vision who haven't been backstabbed or meatshot enough to regularly check behind themselves for ambushes and spycheck random teammates. (Some of them don't even have a Gibus! :eek:)

Though I generally play on Australian servers, and I've rarely ever seen cheaters on those.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Adding damage counters was probably the best thing to ever happen to the game.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

That, and the little "ding" noise that happens when you hit someone.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

That, and the little "ding" noise that happens when you hit someone.
Also the commands to scale that noise by damage. Crit-rocketing an obvious disguised spy and having a five second long bassy "BOOOOOOOOOONG" let loose is the shortcut to a smile.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I forget what command it is (tf_dingaling or some thing)? I messed with the values so when you do a load of damage as a demo it makes this really low "boooyng" sort of sound. Really satisfying.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jippa posted:

Yeah I forget what command it is (tf_dingaling or some thing)? I messed with the values so when you do a load of damage as a demo it makes this really low "boooyng" sort of sound. Really satisfying.
From my config file:
pre:
tf_dingaling_pitchmindmg "150"
tf_dingaling_pitchmaxdmg "5"

woody point
Nov 6, 2013

by XyloJW

Thanks Valve for sending all these Americans over here to these Australian servers!
having 40 ping on a server full of people with 200+ ping has been an, enlightening, experience into "pub-stomping" :catstare:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's the same for me in Europe. I'll use quickplay and get sent to a server where I have 5-10ms latency and everyone else has 150+. Thanks Valve. :thumbsup:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Did Australia and Europe even have official servers before?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Pretty sure they did.. the difference this time is that quickplay lets you specify valve only servers, which probably explains the flood of new players in those regions.

woody point
Nov 6, 2013

by XyloJW

nerdbot posted:

Did Australia... even have official servers before?

Yeah. But only for MvM and Halloween events.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Yes, plenty of them. Before the mvm holidays I'd regularly have 20-30 valve servers with <50ms ping in the server browser. I haven't checked how many I have now.

I think it's an issue with the quickplay server selector sending US players to EU servers.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

This is from a couple pages back, but regarding basic killstreak kits, Fire Axe is a pretty good one to get for materials to craft a specialized kit. The killstreak kits that apply to default weapons create an extra copy since it can't eat your original fire axe. So rather than eating a killstreak kit AND a weapon (which would happen with any non-stock weapons) to get one item, a net loss, you trade one for one.

Last I saw, basic streak kits were going for 80 cents to a dollar for even undesirable weapons just because they're one of the key limiting reagents in crafting higher end stuff.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Section Z posted:

EDIT: vvv My "favorite" hacker so far a few days ago was somebody who went from backstabbing from hundreds of feet away and his pals saying "It's a spectator glitch", to INVISIBLE ENGINEER. You knew it was an engineer because sentries would build themselves in front of you, remove sappers from themselves in front of you, and then you would be wrenched to death with nobody around or shown on the killcam :stare:

That is actually a glitch. If you lag out at all, either due to network problems or your TF2 locking up for a few seconds, then your game can lose track of players, leaving their models stuck in place on your client. Since they're still actually moving around and doing things and the server tells your client that player A shot you from position X, you still take the damage and all, even if they appear to be on the other side of the map on your end.

Luckily this can easily be fixed by typing "record demo;stop" into your console.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
There was a hacker on the dm_store server I frequent the other day, but they were pretty harmless. Mostly just sat just outside of spawn, spamming voice commands and flailing around uncontrollably whilst a medic healed and occasionally ubered him while constantly saying he was a spy. Every so often he'd shoot, but I only saw him actually kill someone once while he was doing that. A little later he and his medic wandered away from spawn and I think killed a couple guys judging from the annoyed people in the chat, but after that he suddenly unlocked every achievement at once (leading to an endless stream of notifications in the chat) and then vanished. It was pretty amusing.

Unlike that Heavy that joined one time and proceeded to zoom around and constantly crit everyone. :saddowns:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Mercury Crusader posted:

But then who will I Caber/Shovel to death on a regular basis?

I too will miss murdering bad snipers, but it will save me the grief that is playing against a good sniper and having no one else on your team try and apply pressure to him. Played a few games with this one fella last night and it seemed like he never missed a shot against me :( Completely shut down my favourite style of play, I actually had to try and be sneaky and play smarter than him. Bullshit!

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Here is a video of us all murdering each other with spells last Friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saQlPpNHNwE
Sorry about the flickering. Valve updated the Replay engine, and it doesn't do that thing where you render as invisible anymore, but now I have to use different settings when I go to render that don't play well with my encoders for some reason.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sorry about the flickering. Valve updated the Replay engine, and it doesn't do that thing where you render as invisible anymore, but now I have to use different settings when I go to render that don't play well with my encoders for some reason.

Man that guy who said he looked cool looks even cooler in action :allears:

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

MeinGott posted:

Man that guy who said he looked cool looks even cooler in action :allears:

Yeah, that was the highlight so I had to include him. I noticed he gave himself a health buff right before he jumped down, plus he managed to stay just right in front of the Eye-Rockets.
A few other things I noticed putting this together:
  • The Skeletons all run at a lower frame rate than everything else, and it gives them this rad "stop motion" look that I love.
  • The Magnetic Blast sound fx stack and just get louder and louder until they distort and made this really hard to edit. I think this is a problem with Source. I don't know if it has any Master volume running in the background that handles audio to run a multibandcompresser or not. Like when that update came out that made it so Demoman released all his "charge" yells at once when you used Targe, or when your game hiccups when you cloak and for some reason plays back multiple Cloak/Decloak sounds at once and it's really really loud.
  • Eye-Rockets have a terrible job at hitting hitboxes

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

I just got a S. Degreaser with Allies Extinguished and Projectiles Reflected. What's a good third part to slap on it? Spys killed or something?

Edit: It's a crime that freezecam taunts is only for cosmetic items.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 28, 2014

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Fiend Computer posted:

I just got a S. Degreaser with Allies Extinguished and Projectiles Reflected. What's a good third part to slap on it? Spys killed or something?

Soldiers killed? To compliment the reflects part.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Butt Detective posted:

Unlike that Heavy that joined one time and proceeded to zoom around and constantly crit everyone. :saddowns:

Speed/crit hacking heavys, and the bands of pubbers who grouped together to try and kill them were always the best bit of any tf2 game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Holy poo poo. That was great.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:stare:

Please tell me this funhavers event will happen again. Why was this the one I had to miss??

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Fiend Computer posted:

Unusual wearing players killed. It is the best part for any strange.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Good times on Upward until the other team goes all heavy and parks their fat asses on the cart holding down Mouse 1. On the other hand, I think my aim with the Loch-N-Load is getting much better now considering I was able to hit constantly moving targets.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fiend Computer posted:

I have those and postmortem kills on mine for those few times the afterburn actually does finish someone off after they get you.

For the record, here are my Degreaser and Axtinguisher. I reset both of them together and with those parts on them so I could see how I was doing between them.

I did the cloaked spies one on the axe for the times when you catch a dead ringer spy and they think they're invincible. Corner them and axe away!

The Magnetic Blast sound fx stack and just get louder and louder until they distort and made this really hard to edit. I think this is a problem with Source. I don't know if it has any Master volume running in the background that handles audio to run a multibandcompresser or not. Like when that update came out that made it so Demoman released all his "charge" yells at once when you used Targe, or when your game hiccups when you cloak and for some reason plays back multiple Cloak/Decloak sounds at once and it's really really loud.

Yeah, honestly I think that's what causes the Machina pierce sound to be so loud if you get more than 2 people. I don't even think it was intentional.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have those and postmortem kills on mine for those few times the afterburn actually does finish someone off after they get you.

Yeah, that sounds like it'll be the cheapest option for me. On the other hand, I think I'll put unusual wearing players killed on my Axtinguisher. As soon as I get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Right now my engineer has the texas ten gallon and the half pants, but I feel like something is missing from completing the cowboy look.

Suggestions?

• Locked thread