Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Where is the detect secrets companion? I feel like I should have found them by now.

He's just north of Lord Kilburn in a cage, surrounded by blackfang. I didn't find him until a lot later because I put a DONT loving GO HERE tag on the map after getting destroyed by the dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Morricone posted:

The game is great fun and I have nothing to complain about there, it's just the technical stuff. Textures stuck at medium, no voices, game often demands 3 times the memory Skyrim does (2.5-3 gig RAM eaten up), stuttery, crashes every 30-60 mins, loses savegames so you have to restart the game, loadingtimes above 2-3 mins when leaving cities etc. It's no masterpiece of coding :D

I've played 30ish hours and have never had it crash a single time, but I have had some crippling stuttering in certain areas(there's a mountaintop area that every step involves the game hiking like it's about to die). You're spot on about the load times, they are my biggest complaint about the game. Sometimes someone's weapon breaks(I really wish there was a weapon wear indicator or something so I knew it was going to happen) and I have to slog over to Seahaven, sit through the load screen to get in there for 2 minutes, repair, then sit through the load screen to leave. :qq: It adds up a lot over the course of an entire game.

I still love it to death.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

yegods posted:

New thread, some mod may want to link this thread in the old one. It's pretty annoying having to search around for a new thread.

I messaged the mods when I made this one but they just closed the old one. Might have been cool to have a link to here as the last post for the benefit of those bookmarking the old one, but it looks like people are finding this thread pretty well.

yegods posted:

I've been frustrated during combat, and hope there are some answer to be had here. Can someone please explain how movement works during combat?? It's seems utterly random, when you can move and when you cannot. This is especially concerning during that drat battled with the Murmasi (sp?) character, and I kept getting back up against the edge, and swiped off instakill style.

Also, is there a way to target a specific enemy? That is some major frustration there as well, when you're heavy hitter is up, and the target is some guy with 2 hp left, and there's an elite mo-fo looming over you waiting to strike. No way to hit the big guy, AFAIK...

Past those frustrations, it is a pretty serviceable M&M game... wish it had free movement though.

victrix answered most of this, but for that fight in particular you never want to be between him and the edge, if he is within one turn of engaging you in melee. sidestep or step towards him if you have to. if he pushes you into a tile next to the edge, you can move out of it if you do so immediately: after his push, you are no longer in melee range. It's a really neat fight IMO.

FuriousGeorge posted:

For me, the most important aspect of getting that Might & Magic "feel" right is filling the world with all sorts of weird little encounters that really encourage exploration. To anyone who's played it, how is this game on that front? I've read complaints that the world is kinda bland, but could really tell if they were due to "generic fantasy" :argh: or the world being relatively empty.

After the first crawl around the sewers, the game opens up a little bit, and you generally have the opportunity to poke around and explore instead of making a beeline for the next main quest location. I think they do a good job of encouraging this by scattering interesting or helpful stuff around the map. IMO the writing isn't as good as previous installments, though, which probably why the game doesn't seem to have the charm of past games. Some attempts at levity are genuinely funny, but others fall flat, such as the guy in the starting town who is basically telling knock knock jokes.

Geop posted:

Well, I've been whiffing a lot :( When both strikes hit, it's pretty good damage! Guess I need to build up some stats a bit more. Perception maybe?

Pumping up your weapon skills should help. Perception too, but chances are focusing up your primary weapon should do a lot by itself keep you from whiffing so much.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 28, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

alarumklok posted:

He's just north of Lord Kilburn in a cage, surrounded by blackfang. I didn't find him until a lot later because I put a DONT loving GO HERE tag on the map after getting destroyed by the dudes.
Appreciate it. Just went back and got him. Not having a freemage, that is exactly the companion I wanted. He is free too!

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

ShadowHawk posted:

How blocking works:
Arcane focus attacks are unblockable and never miss. I have yet to try arcane focus tanking, but there might be some logic to it.

Jesus, this is the best thing, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. I wish I hadn't wasted so many points in my Crusader's might, sword skill and heavy armor skill.

I could have tossed 100% of my crusader's points into Spirit and just focused on light magic, shield, warfare and arcane discipline.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Have I hosed myself?

I just finished the Brigands/Lighthouse. My party is Crusader, Barbarian, Druid and Freemage. I haven't been focusing my points, just putting them in various places.

I got to Expert swords for CR. End for Bar. Earth for Druid and Fire for Freemage.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

is Radiant Weapon bugged? it doesn't seem to do what it says it should do (prevent blocking until end of turn)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Have I hosed myself?

I just finished the Brigands/Lighthouse. My party is Crusader, Barbarian, Druid and Freemage. I haven't been focusing my points, just putting them in various places.

I got to Expert swords for CR. End for Bar. Earth for Druid and Fire for Freemage.

No.

Earth magic is an incredible school that is in the front running for best attack and support magic. Expert Fire on your Freemage is really useful even if you don't go a step farther - the fire nukes will work well until later on when a higher level school can pick up the slack, and even then having expert fire gives you the super useful Burning Determination and the Might buff. Endurance is never a bad skill on non-casters who have points to fling around. As for Swords on your Crusader, my Crusader has Grandmaster sword and I don't regret it a single bit. He does great damage on turns where he doesn't need to heal or buff, easily pushing 150-200 per swing with a good sword.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Teslavi posted:

Jesus, this is the best thing, I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. I wish I hadn't wasted so many points in my Crusader's might, sword skill and heavy armor skill.

I could have tossed 100% of my crusader's points into Spirit and just focused on light magic, shield, warfare and arcane discipline.
:staredog: About to restart the game and I'm really tempted to give this a go. Would Spirit affect the arcane weapon damage?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcane Focus damage is completely unaffected by stats; the only thing that modifies them is having GM Focus. This means they will always do dogshit damage and if you're going to try an Arcane Focus tank the only point is to make sure your taunts don't miss. This is useful but it has some pretty huge holes, like any enemy that is immune to mind affecting(every boss!).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Kanos posted:

Arcane Focus damage is completely unaffected by stats; the only thing that modifies them is having GM Focus. This means they will always do dogshit damage and if you're going to try an Arcane Focus tank the only point is to make sure your taunts don't miss. This is useful but it has some pretty huge holes, like any enemy that is immune to mind affecting(every boss!).
The upside to giving up on melee damage is that you can ignore might and focus more on your caster stats. A crusader built this way could go full Light/Air magic for bosses, for instance. And have a reasonable mana pool.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

KnoxZone posted:

I have encountered a pretty nasty bug where the game thinks I am permanently in combat. This means that I cannot rest, save, or enter any other maps. Loading my autosave doesn't fix it, but my last manual save is over 2 hours ago. Has anyone encountered this bug and know how to fix it?

Control-Alt-R fixes pretty much all combat bugs.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

My journal tells me to find Lord Haart in Yon-Chall forest. I've explored the place, and don't know where he is. Any tips? I could really use some grandmaster sword training.

phreaky
Nov 4, 2009

What I find more disturbing than a guy saying he's not going to buy a game is the set of comments by people who instantly project their own insecurities and assume the individual is white, male, and ironically, a bigot.

Filthy Monkey posted:

My journal tells me to find Lord Haart in Yon-Chall forest. I've explored the place, and don't know where he is. Any tips? I could really use some grandmaster sword training.

Exit Seahaven, keep taking rights and if I recall correctly, he should be down one of the first paths once you get into the forest with this method. It's a pretty long forest path which leads to a small cavey area where he is.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Have I hosed myself?

In addition to earlier comments: While Endurance isn't a bad investment, you're generally far better served by pumping points into a melee character's main weapon skill; that attack bonus is important, and it's far more effective than sinking points into Perception.

As for your casters, you'll want to go for Expert Prime and Dark next; Prime for ID, Dark for Sleep and Purge.

Filthy Monkey posted:

You can visit him in his manor in Seahaven during the day, but I'm not sure if he offers training if you haven't finished the Inquisitor's quest first.

He'll only be there at night, and I believe only if you've talked to both his butler and the town guard by Seahaven's exit. If you've done both those things, he'll be in an otherwise empty cave with glowing mushrooms in it. Talk to him, talk to his wife, then go back to the Inquisitor and fudge things a bit. Next time you go to his manor during the day he'll offer training if he hasn't been already.

Oh, and on an aside, I finished leveling that light armor relic I mentioned earlier. Final stats are: 10 Armor, +6 Dual Wield/Dodge, +22 Evade. I've been having my Blademaster taunt Kensei, it's fun watching a huge cascade of Misses pop up.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I've made some serious progress now thanks to a really good team (that uses every race!) and some wiser spending of my skill points each level. Thank you, this and last thread.

I still think I suck big time at this game, so here's my starting party in case anyone else is struggling. This got me finally past that really hard lighthouse:

1. Orc Barbarian. Put a point in bows, warfare (gotta use that mana bar!) Raise mace, might every level. By the time I got past lighthouse I was putting points in Endurance and starting to use the Taunt lvl 1 Warfare power. I use the Sunder one against single targets.

2. Dwarf Scout. One Point in dual weild, one point in Light Magic. Raise might, axes. He's my low-level celestial Armor caster. I read here Celestial Armor drops off late game but it seems so fundamental early on. Note, my Scout only has enough mana to cast CA once before needing to rest/mana potion, but that's where my ranged Gust of Wind/Entangle skill really shines (see next chars)

3. Elf Druid. I took water, one point in bow, earth and primordial. I'm going to GM primordial and earth, in that order. Entangle is really good with this party, creatures take small enough chunks before they get close then Celestial Armor/melee. Freemage lvl 1 Gust of Wind doesn't undo the effect of Entangle, so they work well in tandem, especially at early levels. He's my Earth healer/Primordial Identifier/buffer/group sunderer.

4. Human Freemage. I took Fire, Air, and Dark, and the magic supplement starting skills. I plan to get Dark only to Expert for Sleep, and GM Air as soon as possible. I'm ignoring Primordial on him since I got it on my druid. He doesn't have a ranged skill, so I use a lot of potions/fire spell so far.

My general strategy is strafe to get ranged/caster in range, as for melee, approaching melee is a sweet situation. Gust of Wind, Entangle, ranged bows, crossbows and firebolt, and when they must get close, one weak dose of Celestial Armor as insurance. My druid has Regen and Cure Poison, and thankfully I get to use them enough, while weaving in some ice bolts.

Question:
That being said, I've invested every attribute point thus far on my druid/freemage. I still play that conservative RPG style game, avoiding using potions and even trying not to rest between "trash" mobs. (Quicksave F5 for life). How much Spirit is enough? I'm sitting at about 36-40 now on both casters and have sadly ignored Magic, but my spells still hit well enough to just like the larger mana pools. Can I raise my rest supplies?

Finally, here's the best early game route to make your life easiest as possible:
0. Buy some Antidote Potions
0a. Clear town and barrels.
1. Spider Lair (loving hard)
2. clear beach, Shadow Woods, the grassy post past beach. Basically everything in the overworld minus that crypt area (f5, f9)
3. Den of Theives. Pretty easy, probably should've been the starting zone not the Spider Lair
4. Lighthouse. At this point, I was pretty ready to tackle this. The lvl 3 encounter is pretty tough, and the boss has some mechanics to deal with, but keeping Regen up let me handle everything else he threw at me.
5... ? This is where I'm at now. I'm going to clear the remaining "dungeons" on the map between me and the Imperial Sentinel. There's a mysterious cave, and some other location to mow.

Also, if I had skill points to spend with my melee guys but hadn't trained them up to Expert, I didn'tspend the points until I went back to town. This paid off big time. Something similar would be nice with the mages, but the trainers aren't really around (minus prime and earth) so I just spread them around my planned spell schools

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 28, 2014

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
Getting mana to 150 gives you the best returns on your overall damage, but after that magic is worth more than spirit. Although that's just pure maths land, needs will vary somewhat based on expected role.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also forgot to mention, barrel drinking bonuses are always the same by color/type of liquid. I drink all the bubbling resistance on my freemage (to try and toughen her up) and the smooth liquid by type:
Red: Might (Orc)
White: Perception (Scout)
Blue: Magic (Freemage)

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock
Gonna be playing this game on warrior difficulty, starting now!

https://www.twitch.tv/beefsupreeme

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What two mages would you guys suggest to go with a Barbarian and Bladedancer? Only criteria is that one of the mages primarily be an Air (Lightning) nuker.

Suggestions?

e: I'm thinking probably Freemage and Rune Priest? Freemage could focus on Air, Dark, and Primordial for damage/utility and Rune Priest could focus on Earth and Light for heals/utility.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 28, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Madcosby posted:

Also forgot to mention, barrel drinking bonuses are always the same by color/type of liquid. I drink all the bubbling resistance on my freemage (to try and toughen her up) and the smooth liquid by type:
Red: Might (Orc)
White: Perception (Scout)
Blue: Magic (Freemage)

Also noteworthy is if you plan to get grandmaster arcane discipline (which gives mana return whenever you resist a spell), it is beneficial to have extra resist on that character.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ShadowHawk posted:

Arcane focus attacks are unblockable and never miss. I have yet to try arcane focus tanking, but there might be some logic to it.

Note that the only class that can learn both Magical Focus and Warfare is the Crusader, and it can only learn Magical Focus to expert level. Even with 100% unblockable accuracy, your average damage output will probably suffer against most enemies. I'm sure it'd still be workable if you wanted, though.

Dahbadu posted:

So I decided to try and build a Destiny+Evade focused party. I'm playing on Warrior difficulty.

I'm rocking about 35 Evade at level 4, but I'm getting hit a lot fighting Kenshi in the Light House. Should I expect this throughout the game, or will it get to a point where I find myself evading lots of attacks?

Gear seems really important for evasion builds: eventually you'll find relics and other items that significantly boost your evade value, so having one dodgetank to suck up all the best gear might be more viable than a whole party of them. My freemage has an evade value of a little over 100 in Act III right now purely from equipment (no investment in Destiny beyond the bonuses from barrels of mysterious purple liquid, no investment in Dodge beyond a single point so that items with Dodge skill bonuses take effect) and most melee enemies seem to hit her less than half the time when they target her.

-Blackadder- posted:

What two mages would you guys suggest to go with a Barbarian and Bladedancer? Only criteria is that one of the mages primarily be an Air (Lightning) nuker.

Suggestions?

e: I'm thinking probably Freemage and Rune Priest? Freemage could focus on Air, Dark, and Primordial for damage/utility and Rune Priest could focus on Earth and Light for heals/utility.

Sounds good to me: there's really no party that a Freemage can't fit into, and Runepriest complements Freemage almost perfectly in terms of magical skill coverage.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2014

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Just finished the game.

Overall I liked it a lot actually, a few problems i had with it:
It felt a bit short, I feel like there could have at least been another chapter or two. Hell, if you consider all the HoMM 6 / 5 monsters/teams, we only fought what, maybe half of them in this actual game? Then again it probably still did take a good 40 hours so maybe that's fine

The game got pretty easy near the end though, it seemed like after my teams levels got to the lower to mid 20s or so they were just unstoppable juggernauts of destruction that could kill most things just by me mashing 1 a lot (Maxed out Arcane Relic Mastery + The relics makes you actually do a ton of damage even with mages regular attacking), which kind of makes me wish I would've played on the harder difficulty, but oh well.

There were a decent number of instances were I just straight up had to look something up, mostly where the hell trainers were mind you, but this game needed some kind of log or notebook or something to keep track of that poo poo.

The story was pretty...meh, but then again it's not like the Might and Magic series was ever known for a having particularly good stories, so I wasn't really expecting much there, but you can always hope.

Also, I'm pretty sure I did everything or nearly everything and ended I think at 32-33, so getting to 40 is definitely impossible right now, so what's up with that achievement? For DLC maybe?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goldjas posted:

There were a decent number of instances were I just straight up had to look something up, mostly where the hell trainers were mind you, but this game needed some kind of log or notebook or something to keep track of that poo poo.

I make a note on the map everytime I find a trainer or hireling. The bonus statues and crystals and fountains as well. It helps a ton in the long run.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Thuryl posted:

Note that the only class that can learn both Magical Focus and Warfare is the Crusader, and it can only learn Magical Focus to expert level. Even with 100% unblockable accuracy, your average damage output will probably suffer against most enemies. I'm sure it'd still be workable if you wanted, though.
That's not true, he can get GM Focus, but only Master Shield.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

He definitely can only get expert focus, I've got a crusader I'm pretending is a holy paladin right now, and I really wish he could level it up more.

Edit: You might be looking at your rune priest, who has that stuff, but can't learn warfare.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 28, 2014

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

alarumklok posted:

He definitely can only get expert focus, I've got a crusader I'm pretending is a holy paladin right now, and I really wish he could level it up more.
Yes you're right, I was looking at arcane discipline. Btw it's "magical focus" not "arcane focus", hence my fast-read mistake.

edit: also, you only need one point to do this strategy anyway as you want to equip a shield.

Goncyn
May 20, 2005
headlight on a northbound train
Has anyone found the Dodge Grandmaster trainer? This list says Wysthal, Wyslin Jungle, Agyn Peninsula, but I can't find any such character.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1shgqdg5Yx7Ziw4vi23GrUXkkf24_6woQuQfHy_wkYN4

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Goncyn posted:

Has anyone found the Dodge Grandmaster trainer? This list says Wysthal, Wyslin Jungle, Agyn Peninsula, but I can't find any such character.

You have to find/chase her 2 times before she shows up in the jungle. I believe she shows up once near Karthal and once near Seahaven.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Goncyn posted:

He first appears in the Yon-Chall Forest but runs away from you when you find him; you have to chase him around to a couple of locations before finally catching him. Luckily I think his current location always shows up as a white dot on your map, so you can find him that way if you've already explored the area.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I will say this: I don't know how their RNG works, but it frequently feels like it's stacked. My blade dancer has points pumped into chance to hit (whatever that stat was called) from creation and is only hitting about 50% of the time (and I don't mean one hand at a time, but 50% of my attempts to attack miss with both hands and when I do hit, it's probably another 50/50 that it will be with both weapons). I've been poisoned way more times than I have potions, which just turns everything into a slog and my dwarf basically swings his axe at the air (I also gave him +chance to hit on creation) and absorbs a lot of damage until he gets poisoned and dies in a few steps because I ran out of antidote potions.

Thing is, I didn't have this problem with my last group up to lvl 3. I don't know what's going on under the hood of other games in terms of RNGs but this one feels extremely hit and miss in terms of giving you a horrendous run where I don't feel other games feel so lopsided as much. I guess this game is using some kind of true RNG and other games have additional conditions and systems thrown in there to "smooth" things out and prevent things like I've been experiencing?

Either way, sometimes combat feels downright unfair and it's extremely frustrating. I understand things have to be randomised somewhat, but I counted 9 turns in a row where neither my Bladedancer or Dwarf scored a hit on the Spider Queen at all. When the game isn't feeling like it's RNG got stuck on a number, the combat is a lot of fun though.

Edit: \/\/\/

I know my Blade dancer is wearing none. Note sure about the Defender. I think he has a shield, but unless he's wearing armour by default, he should be naked too.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 28, 2014

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

If you're already wearing some armour, keep in mind that its attack penalties can be pretty punitive: avoid wearing heavy armour in particular until you've got enough weapon skill that the penalties don't matter and/or enough armour skill to mostly negate them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Has anyone figured out how to: 1 - get the the area in the bottom left of level 2 of Castle Potmeyron? 2 - open the door in the top right of level 2?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Mr Scumbag posted:

I will say this: I don't know how their RNG works, but it frequently feels like it's stacked. My blade dancer has points pumped into chance to hit (whatever that stat was called) from creation and is only hitting about 50% of the time (and I don't mean one hand at a time, but 50% of my attempts to attack miss with both hands and when I do hit, it's probably another 50/50 that it will be with both weapons). I've been poisoned way more times than I have potions, which just turns everything into a slog and my dwarf basically swings his axe at the air (I also gave him +chance to hit on creation) and absorbs a lot of damage until he gets poisoned and dies in a few steps because I ran out of antidote potions.
By "not hitting" do you mean "blocked" here? See above.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Waltzing Along posted:

Has anyone figured out how to: 1 - get the the area in the bottom left of level 2 of Castle Potmeyron? 2 - open the door in the top right of level 2?
That room opens from something you do on the complete opposite end of the map I think.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
This game is cool except loading screens don't load while I'm alt tabbed so I have to sit there for a minute. Is this just the way game is?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

This game is cool except loading screens don't load while I'm alt tabbed so I have to sit there for a minute. Is this just the way game is?

Unity :eng99:

The game is really unoptimized unfortunately. The no loading thing blows. Not having native fullscreen windowed blows. The long loading times coupled with the above two really blows. You can get around the windowing issue with GWR, but there's no fix for the loads, I have it on an SSD :(

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Waltzing Along posted:

If you're talking about a locked door, there's a key in a chest behind a secret wall you have to bash down in one of the corner coridoors. Remember you need Whispering Secrets active to see secret walls.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I realized pretty quickly into my game that my ranger was pretty worthless (went bows initially because I didn't understand the game mechanics yet) and I started pumping might and daggers/dual wield instead except I still haven't found a second goddamn dagger anywhere uuuggh. So I basically have this dead weight party member hitting things for 5 every turn until I find one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

ShadowHawk posted:

By "not hitting" do you mean "blocked" here? See above.

Blocking seems to be rare. Just tried two more runs with the same party and I still can't hit anything. This isn't RNG, something's hosed up.

• Locked thread