Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

For reference, these tiny, unstable, difficult to use vessels are coracles. I'm not sure a giant one would be a really good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Bored posted:

But he was putting his toys into separate configurations with some sort of intent, so I'm pretty sure it counts as art.

So then video games are art, then?

FAKE EDIT: Please don't actually have this dumb discussion.

Stoatbringer posted:

For reference, these tiny, unstable, difficult to use vessels are coracles. I'm not sure a giant one would be a really good idea.

Looks like a pretty sweet boat to me. If I could build one and sail it around, I'd be proud as gently caress of it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Perry Normal posted:

Re: the section I bolded - "Hey! Chin up, parents who've lost a child. God's going to get you an even better kid!"

Isn't that literally the story of Job?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

"pfff well I guess if you don't post this you are heartless and pro child abuse, and by posting this I have a huge part in ensuring that people know that child abuse exists, and that I, a special snowflake in the 50% who will pass this on, am against that sort of thing, and have heart"

and all this from a parent who smacks her autistic kid

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Eulogistics posted:

Looks like a pretty sweet boat to me. If I could build one and sail it around, I'd be proud as gently caress of it.

Looks like a really lovely canoe. I guess being round you can turn easy, so it can be nice in a small pond, but it seems really uncomfortable to row.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

There are very few things I eyeroll harder at than anything beginning with "As a new parent, I..." Yes, tell me more about how shaming women will help your newborn daughter.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

kannonfodder posted:

Looks like a really lovely canoe. I guess being round you can turn easy, so it can be nice in a small pond, but it seems really uncomfortable to row.

Being round, it'd also tend to turn as soon as an asymmetrical force (Say from a sail, a paddle or a propeller) is applied.

They'd be drat stable if the center of gravity wasn't so high on account of the passenger sitting so far up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Isn't that literally the story of Job?

That is definitely what happens in the prose framing story that was wrapped around the original "Job poem," which was almost certainly translated from another language and was not about a guy called Job, or about anything good happening to anyone.

...Which kinda makes it one of the early social network forwards. "This is just incredible! A real miracle! Read through to the end, and remember to enscribe a copy to all your tribesman!"

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I got a "what liberals think conservatives eat for breakfast" image on my feed with a picture of a giant plate of bacon and a gun with 4 reasons why it's wrong.

Facebook needs an option to detect whenever an image has teaparty/ARE GUNS/libertarian stuff in it and hide it from your feed. If they can have a way to detect faces of people then surely they can code something to detect this kind of crap.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just don't friend terrible people on Facebook?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

ButWhatIf posted:

There are very few things I eyeroll harder at than anything beginning with "As a new parent, I..." Yes, tell me more about how shaming women will help your newborn daughter.

This is funny because I've had the fortune of reading the opposite elsewhere: Beyonce and Jay-Z demonstrated that being in a monogamous relationship is pretty swell and that sexually healthy marriages should be promoted more often. But you know, it's better to pretend sex doesn't exist at all, especially around girls because if a woman publicly admits to liking it, it can only mean she likes sex with EVERYONE.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Picnic Princess posted:

This is funny because I've had the fortune of reading the opposite elsewhere: Beyonce and Jay-Z demonstrated that being in a monogamous relationship is pretty swell and that sexually healthy marriages should be promoted more often. But you know, it's better to pretend sex doesn't exist at all, especially around girls because if a woman publicly admits to liking it, it can only mean she likes sex with EVERYONE.

Sex is simply a necessary evil on the way to God's ultimate gift: BABIES!

I kid, but I have seen people talk about sex with their spouse as basically a total waste of time (and sperm :haw: ) if they weren't ovulating at the time or just didn't get pregnant from it. Serious disappointment like "Dammit I had sex with my husband and there wasn't any point to it! Better luck next month."

And unfortunately it does get drilled into some girls heads that sex is for babies and liking it means you're a horrible slut who probably uses monthly abortions for birth control.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

ButWhatIf posted:

My new favorite part of any awards ceremonies ever are the people who clearly have to try really loving hard to justify their hatred.

Predictably, the Daft Punk thread provided more of that to me.

(I love the structure of this one. 'Well okay it would've been great to see Lorde win, but she di--oh.')

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm surprised more assumptions that they were secret terrorists haven't sprung up, I mean, their faces are hidden, they could be anyone!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm surprised more assumptions that they were secret terrorists haven't sprung up, I mean, their faces are hidden, they could be anyone!

Not even the KLF were accused of that, even after firing automatic weapons over the crowd's heads:

quote:

On 12 February 1992, The KLF and crust punk group Extreme Noise Terror performed a live version of "3 a.m. Eternal" at the BRIT Awards, the British Phonographic Industry's annual awards show; a "violently antagonistic performance" in front of "a stunned music-business audience".[44] Drummond and Cauty had planned to throw buckets of sheep's blood over the audience, but were prevented from doing so due to opposition from BBC lawyers[45][46] and "hardcore vegans" Extreme Noise Terror.[34][47] The performance was instead garnished by a limping, kilted, cigar-chomping Drummond firing blanks from an automatic weapon over the heads of the crowd. As the band left the stage, The KLF's promoter and narrator Scott Piering announced over the PA system that "The KLF have now left the music business". Later in the evening the band dumped a dead sheep with the message "I died for ewe—bon appetit" tied around its waist at the entrance to one of the post-ceremony parties.[47]

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That's a hell of a way to quit as a band.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

NotAnArtist posted:

That's a hell of a way to quit as a band.

They also released Doctorin' the TARDIS, which owns.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

poo poo, I don't even know where to post this. P/C is closed once again (:tinfoil:) so I can't go stick it there. It came through on social media, and it goes from informative to idiotic at 88 miles per hour.

:tinfoil:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM:tinfoil:

This was posted by someone who I regarded as at least intelligently conservative. I'd have never in my life pegged him to give conspiracy theory the time of day, let alone start pointing fingers at :tinfoil:the Rothschilds:tinfoil:. The first 7 minutes are actually alright, and not too terrible primer (if somewhat lacking in detail) about the dangers of spending beyond your means, the idea that money is a medium of exchange, and how banks make money. Then you get another 21 minutes of solid loving tinfoil.

It's kinda lovely content wise, since it was a shared Youtube link, but god drat, I don't know where else to put it, and I need to get it off my chest. I also think I may now have aluminium poisoning.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There is a friend of a friend on facebook who is basically the last person who should talk about how women are treated in society. Sometimes he just has to let his opinions be known.

:psyduck: What the hell is he even trying to say? Why can't he be clear and concise with his bad opinions on blog articles about how women shouldn't worry about looks because guys just want to gently caress them and that women are hurting men by worrying about their looks and :words:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

There is a friend of a friend on facebook who is basically the last person who should talk about how women are treated in society. Sometimes he just has to let his opinions be known.

:psyduck: What the hell is he even trying to say? Why can't he be clear and concise with his bad opinions on blog articles about how women shouldn't worry about looks because guys just want to gently caress them and that women are hurting men by worrying about their looks and :words:

Press enter. Do not edit. Post results.

stegoceras
Oct 21, 2011

Numb's no good, but it sure beats the hurt
Pleaaaaase say you posted that comment. Please please please.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
You seriously need to post that comment. The only reason not to post that comment is basically to spare the feelings of a rapist. Post the comment and post the fallout. Do it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

You can't show that on the thread and not post it, come on!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd post it but

1. I don't interact with him ever and would prefer not to start now, especially on a friend's status and
2. When the incident was first mentioned to me through facebook's messenger, I immediately called him out on being a rapist and he was all "no no you misunderstand, I had to have sex with her because if I didn't then she was going to tell the dorm that I raped her. The next morning she was in shock and crying but when she apologized I accepted and she later married a black guy."

Dude is crazy deluded and creepy so I don't even associate with him. Calling him out wouldn't accomplish anything. I'd post the original quotes but I doubt private facebook messenger counts.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd post it but

1. I don't interact with him ever and would prefer not to start now, especially on a friend's status and
2. When the incident was first mentioned to me through facebook's messenger, I immediately called him out on being a rapist and he was all "no no you misunderstand, I had to have sex with her because if I didn't then she was going to tell the dorm that I raped her. The next morning she was in shock and crying but when she apologized I accepted and she later married a black guy."

Dude is crazy deluded and creepy so I don't even associate with him. Calling him out wouldn't accomplish anything. I'd post the original quotes but I doubt private facebook messenger counts.

:stare: I'm glad he felt that was relevant as to whether or not he had raped her.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
We have an emoticon for times like this. It's this one: :justpost:

If you know he's a rapist and you don't tell people because it might cause drama, you are an rear end in a top hat.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd post it but

c'mon man.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

If you know he's a rapist and you don't tell people because it might cause drama, you are an rear end in a top hat.
This.

Calling him out wouldn't "not accomplish anything" - it would accomplish informing people that the admitted, unrepentant rapist is an admitted, unrepentant rapist; withholding that is abetting him and helping him out with his rape career

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Who would you suppose I tell? His current girlfriend already knows and doesn't consider it rape and my girlfriend knows, considers it rape, and avoids him, I know and called him out on it and then cut contact because he disgusts me, and I don't think any good would come from just blurting it out at random that he did it some odd years ago. Not much else I can do that wouldn't result in him getting to play victim over how I'm "misunderstanding" him. I think it's better to just not associate with him and do what I've been doing already (telling people in private so they keep safe without it being presented as ad hominem facebook attacks)

edit: For the record this was what he said that made me think he was a rapist and got me to tell the appropriate I figured should know, like his current girlfriend and my girlfriend since they're the only two women that aren't his mom that he has ever been around. Thankfully my girlfriend has never been around him by herself and ever since she found out about the rape she refuses to be in a situation where he could take advantage of her. She stays safe thank goodness.

facebook conversation posted:

Him: Anyway, the 2nd sexual experience was me being a nice guy, letting a girl chill out and sleep in my bed, and was forced into it b/c she was horny, and possibly drunk.

Me: uhmmmmmmmmmm dude if she was drunk that's not being forced into it, that's rape

Him: I was being a nice guy, letting her stay...I didn't know she was. Or if she was.

Me: being a nice guy isn't having sex with a drunk person man. not cool.

Him: I was being a nice dude to let her stay, she cried after when we talked about it hugged me and sobbed...I let it go. No no.....you're getting this all mixed up xD Let me explain...

Me: i think you'd be better off not explaining tbh because you're kinda digging yourself a hole on this one

Him: She was doing her nursing studies. It was past curfew, I asked the roommate if it was cool if she just slept beside me he didn't care. I was with [some girl] at the time - long distance relationship. I was not looking to have sex. Lol. I was looking to be a nice guy and let her have a place to just sleep for the night. SHE came onto ME. And wouldn't take no for an answer.

Me: you could have kicked her out, or not taken out your dick. just sayin

Him: So eventually given the threats I bent "I'll go out in to the hall and let everyone know what's going on, and I'll tell them you raped me" [before giving into sex, at this point fully clothed etc]. Yes but at [university] you can get hit hard for having opposite gender stay over so I let it go...she was all over me too bud. I mean like all over me >.> had I known that would happen, I wouldn't have let her stay @_@ it's fine, it's in the past. Now...my 3rd time of actually having sexual relations is with [current girlfriend]

Me: yeah, i've had a drunk girl all over me too after she invited me to her room and she kept holding on to me and cuddling me and then let me sleep in the bed next to hers. we didn't gently caress though because she was drunk out of her mind and also i was with melody and i made it clear that i wasn't going to do anything sexual so i told her off even when she kept hugging on to me and rubbing up against my arm.

Him: Idk if she was drunk or not. That's what I'm getting at. But she wasn't herself. Get what I mean? Like, she was normally just a good friend. I just think she was b/c she acted so abnormally and didn't remember the threats - or she said that to me at least. Roommate was gone, blankets were covering us, she woke up, kind of freaked a bit we were naked then smiled at me and basically said - I'm paraphrasing here as I can't remember exact words "Well, I didn't think you were into me like that...with a girlfriend and all..." I explained what she said she was in shock. She sobbed a bit held me said she was sorry...I forgave her. From there on out we proceeded to be friends, eventually she dated a black guy, and after that she went back to live in NJ, and is now married. So I think substances were involved, but it's college...so I let it slide. It's fine...anyway, back to [current girlfriend].

FirstAidKite has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Jan 28, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

On the other hand, the victim may not appreciate having her personal traumatic experience plastered all over Facebook to make some idiot look bad in an argument either. Not that I support the guy, but I think that's something that's not being considered here.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Kimmalah posted:

On the other hand, the victim may not appreciate having her personal traumatic experience plastered all over Facebook to make some idiot look bad in an argument either. Not that I support the guy, but I think that's something that's not being considered here.

I don't see anything in the comment that provides identifying information for the victim

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

InediblePenguin posted:

I don't see anything in the comment that provides identifying information for the victim

No, but if she's in any way connected to these people it'll get back to her because someone's going to know who they're talking about. I just don't see what posting it would accomplish other than getting a hell of a last word in. It sounds like the people in his life already know he's a sack of poo poo or choose not to believe it.

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Jan 28, 2014

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kimmalah posted:

No, but if she's in any way connected to these people it'll get back to her because someone's going to know who they're talking about. I just don't see what posting it would accomplish other than getting a hell of a last word in. It sounds like the people in his life already know he's a sack of poo poo or choose not to believe it.

Well, then, thanks for letting us all know what you like pretending you'd say.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

I just don't see what posting it would accomplish other than getting a hell of a last word in.

even if this were true (it isn't) it would still be worth it

:justpost:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Plus, don't type a scathing reply in and then screenshot you being too ball-less to actually press the enter key. If you've got something to say, say it. Don't show us what you wish you were brave enough to say.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I think we've reached a point where posting that reply would be purely for our entertainment, not because it's necessarily the right thing to do. I like a good shitstorm as much as the next guy, but I'm not entirely comfortable where this conversation is going. FirstAidKite knows the situation, trust his judgement to do the right thing.

bleedbackwards
Jan 13, 2008
weapon finesse: my dong
From a guy on my Facebook. Somehow I don't think it would change anything.

Jasque
Jan 13, 2006
Garbage! That hovercraft is a joke of engineering, and that helmet would never protect your brain from lasers!
Well, geeze, of the top of my head I'd say that Obama's administration hasn't ordered the execution of 6 million Jews and hasn't started a world war.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

A chain message obviously passed on from old-person email to old-person email, a quote misattributed to Einstein, and teh suggestion that voting Democrat = dogfucking. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

He isn't wrong. If I were Obama I would yell at Hitler too. Who wouldn't yell at Hitler?

• Locked thread