Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got the new bluray release for the first Robocop movie and it looks pretty excellent, absolutely worth the $8 or whatever stupid-cheap price Amazon was asking for it. I'm hoping we get a similar bluray release for Robocop 2 (maybe with some making-of stuff chronicling the clusterfuck that was the writing of that movie.

Say what you will about the sequel, I thought RoboCain was a completely badass design, and I loved the stop-motion work they did with him. Also the failed Robo prototypes scene was seriously loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Robocop 2 is amazing and if a 4k remaster Blu-Ray came out for that one with as many special features as the new one for the first one has, I would pre-order it the second it was announced.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Speaking of stop-motion, the ED-209 sequences in the remaster were beautifully redone. They looked incredible, and not at all giggle-inducing like they used to be.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, if I buy the Blu-Ray at Best Buy, I get a discount off the new movie at theaters?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hockles posted:

So, if I buy the Blu-Ray at Best Buy, I get a discount off the new movie at theaters?
That's what CelticPredator said a few pages ago. FWIW, I bought mine from Amazon and didn't get anything like that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You will indeed get a nice code. All the movies on that ROBOCOP rack will have it, so if you can't pick up RoboCop, you can probably find something else you wouldn't mind owning.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Steve Yun posted:

The original had a several hundred pound cyborg unable to walk on his own two feet and yet somehow carried to a car by officer Lewis leaning his weight over her shoulder.

The original had a several hundred pound cyborg holding a struggling Clarence Boddiker, only to have his own body weight shaken around because they were the same weight.

I love the original film but let's not kid ourselves by pretending that the movie didn't also require a lot of suspension of disbelief, and let's not put ridiculous and unfair "realism" arguments against the new film when there are more interesting thematic things to consider.

I wasn't really comparing it to the original. Standing alone, I think the action in this looks bad, they haven't nailed physicality.

(If I am to compare, going by what you say, sure, all of your points are correct, but because Robocop was a tangible, physical thing I never actually got the sense in the movie that he was anything but a tangible, physical thing. Watching the new one, I'm not sold that theres anything actually there at all.)

quote:

You can make the same "watered-down CG action scene" comment about basically everything today

What is your point here.

Actually, no, I don't agree, Theres plenty of bad CG around, but theres good stuff too. Hell, Pacific Rim has ridiculous nonsense physics, but they go to enormous effort to give the impression that the stupid robots in that are actually interacting with the city, with the ocean, with the lighting.

Robocop here should not be nearly the challenge to sell to me as those inherently loving silly robots, but nope, the animation looks stilted, phoney, doesn't tie in with the actual movement, the particles and destruction don't look very good. It all feels more than a little cheap.

(Keatons parts look great, not going to arge with that.)

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

ShineDog posted:

What is your point here.

Actually, no, I don't agree, Theres plenty of bad CG around, but theres good stuff too. Hell, Pacific Rim has ridiculous nonsense physics, but they go to enormous effort to give the impression that the stupid robots in that are actually interacting with the city, with the ocean, with the lighting.

I didn't say anything about "bad" CG. It doesn't look like Blade 2 or anything. I said the action sequences were watered-down, by which I mean they're entirely devoid of teeth or life or anything that gives them real substance beyond "CG man fights CG thing." Every Iron Man looks like this, Avengers looked like this, everything since the first Transformers has this same problem. Action sequences are lifeless because of heavy CG work, whether it's bad or not.

Actors fighting actors in physical space will always play better than CG when both are at their best.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Slim Killington posted:

I didn't say anything about "bad" CG. It doesn't look like Blade 2 or anything. I said the action sequences were watered-down, by which I mean they're entirely devoid of teeth or life or anything that gives them real substance beyond "CG man fights CG thing." Every Iron Man looks like this, Avengers looked like this, everything since the first Transformers has this same problem. Action sequences are lifeless because of heavy CG work, whether it's bad or not.

Actors fighting actors in physical space will always play better than CG when both are at their best.

Sure, but I think that Robocop looks quite a bit worse than most of the things you mention here. I'm immediately put off by how weedy everything looks (and sounds, frankly).

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 27, 2014

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Appear toy there was a screening for Robocop.

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-features/86481-does-the-new-robocop-suck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SErious post: Some blowjob with a blog is like the least reputable source and the most likely to have his mind made up that the movie is poo poo and not like the original at all to begin with. I'd give a gently caress if there was anybody left writing reviews who I actually trusted besides the CR guys.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I would like to know why this anonymous blogger thought Michael Keaton was a lackluster bad guy.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

SErious post: Some blowjob with a blog is like the least reputable source and the most likely to have his mind made up that the movie is poo poo and not like the original at all to begin with. I'd give a gently caress if there was anybody left writing reviews who I actually trusted besides the CR guys.

I like that this linked review is by a guy who's passing on the word of his buddy who saw it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Some behind the scenes footage of Robocop 2014, which just shows how little love or work goes on in designing the Robocop suit. I don't see any passion in the eyes of the special effects people! This all CG robocop walking around looks so fake there's no weight to any of his CG antics!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVNvTOOU2VQ

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 28, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watching that, I never got the sense that I was watching the preparation for something truly special. Although gently caress, I really do love the concept of that black suit with the red visor, just not for Robo himself. They should've saved that for one of the villains.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Watching that, I never got the sense that I was watching the preparation for something truly special. Although gently caress, I really do love the concept of that black suit with the red visor, just not for Robo himself. They should've saved that for one of the villains.

It looks like a movie set. I'm sure the set of the first three Star Wars movies didn't really look like party time houses either. Its work for everyone involved, no reason they'd be all smiles and joy.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caros posted:

It looks like a movie set. I'm sure the set of the first three Star Wars movies didn't really look like party time houses either. Its work for everyone involved, no reason they'd be all smiles and joy.
Well yeah, but behind the scenes features for good movies are usually interesting to watch. Not that everyone has to be smiling, but it just seems like something fun/exciting to watch should be shown, especially because this was an 8 minute video and the movie took a hell of a lot longer than that to shoot, so this should be like a highlights reel. But it showed a number of different scenes and none of them looked particularly exciting. If all the behind the scenes stuff is gonna look boring, why even release it at all?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Well yeah, but behind the scenes features for good movies are usually interesting to watch. Not that everyone has to be smiling, but it just seems like something fun/exciting to watch should be shown, especially because this was an 8 minute video and the movie took a hell of a lot longer than that to shoot, so this should be like a highlights reel. But it showed a number of different scenes and none of them looked particularly exciting. If all the behind the scenes stuff is gonna look boring, why even release it at all?

Now that you mention it, Dangerous Days was pretty loving dour too.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I don't know what you're talking about but RoboCop shooting willy-nilly in a drug warehouse while riding a motorcycle like he was some sort of cyborg Nick Fury looked pretty fun to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Some behind the scenes footage of Robocop 2014, which just shows how little love or work goes on in designing the Robocop suit. I don't see any passion in the eyes of the special effects people! This all CG robocop walking around looks so fake there's no weight to any of his CG antics!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVNvTOOU2VQ

Man, I don't see a crazy, energetic director on set rocking out in a club scene, NOT MY ROBOCOP. Also that they didn't really make a metal suit for the actor to be encased in means they lack heart.

Eh, the movie does feel kind of bland visually but I'm really hoping the story they want to tell comes out, about a human in a machine and whatnot the director described, and that it has some depth at least.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gatts posted:

NOT MY ROBOCOP

This 'rebuttal' that gets dragged out whenever someone actually has reservations about this flick is getting real old, honestly.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

WarLocke posted:

This 'rebuttal' that gets dragged out whenever someone actually has reservations about this flick is getting real old, honestly.

Considering that has been their argument 100% of the time, making fun of them isn't the part that's getting old.

I mean seriously, when Dick Eye is being more level headed then you, you nerds really outta reevaluate your lives.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

WarLocke posted:

I've got reservations about the flick too but some of the notions are ridiculous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WarLocke posted:

Well, I mean when the argument becomes "look at this b-roll of people on a movie set, I can't feel the soul", what do you expect?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

wyoming posted:

Considering that has been their argument 100% of the time, making fun of them isn't the part that's getting old.

No it's getting old because when people have legitimate issues you can always count on someone to bring out :byodame: NOT MY ROBOCOP :byodame: and then someone else to defend that person because "it's the same argument 100% of the time".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I am legitimately surprised we haven't seen someone bitch that it's not shot on film because "the grain makes the movie :qq: ".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

computer parts posted:

I am legitimately surprised we haven't seen someone bitch that it's not shot on film because "the grain makes the movie :qq: ".

NOT MY FORM OF IMAGE CAPTURE.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
IronManCop is going to be a fun popcorn movie and it wouldn't have drawn half as much ire if it were just not named "RoboCop." Seriously if it were just some Padhilla-produced sci-fi action movie named "Cyborg" or something generic everyone would have been fine with it as another Iron Man knockoff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Just call it Gamer 2.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It could have been the third Elite Squad as far as it mattered, with a robot guy in it.

vvv Oh absolutely not, for sure.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 28, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Slim Killington posted:

IronManCop is going to be a fun popcorn movie and it wouldn't have drawn half as much ire if it were just not named "RoboCop." Seriously if it were just some Padhilla-produced sci-fi action movie named "Cyborg" or something generic everyone would have been fine with it as another Iron Man knockoff.

But would as many people have seen it?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Slim Killington posted:

It wouldn't draw as much ire, sure. I doubt its going to be a good movie, though, even ignoring the remake status. It is just all too sterile. Robots fighting robots in the middle of a laboratory clean room fueled by unreal CG does not make for gripping action. Where is the sense of danger, or emotional weight? Keaton is alright, but on what or who does he play off his character?

I'm just not seeing the potential for a good movie here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Slim Killington posted:

Yeah, I probably wouldn't have cared about it at all if that were the case. But because it's a new Robocop movie, I'm more critical of it. At this point it's not even like my criticism of it is that it doesn't look like the original. It just doesn't look like that good of a movie and doesn't seem like it'll do justice to the series. But we'll see. Yeah it's been looking like it'll go that way from most of the promo material I've seen so far from it, but it could still turn out to be the complete opposite.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WarLocke posted:

So is everyone saying "Ugh this doesn't have the passion or the wit of the original" and making up their minds before they even see the loving thing.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I mean I wouldn't judge it too much from the trailers and promotional material because you know they're marketing this as "Dumb Action Movie: Formula #25B" regardless of what the actual film is like.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I mean, for everyone lamenting on how this new movie doesn't look as intelligent or meaningful, as the original, how much are you jerking your chain that you think most people view the original that way? Do you really think most people view the movie with a cyborg driving a Ford Focus as intelligent? That the movie where the main character hides in a warehouse and slowly plods after some stop motion effects as superb action and exquisite art? Hell no, they view it as the goofy robot movie, that's pretty drat fun.
Robocop is no more a labour of love or a biting satire than many other "dumb action flicks"
Take that fuckin' robot down off your cross already.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

wyoming posted:

Robocop is no more a labour of love or a biting satire than many other "dumb action flicks"

Seems like your issue is an inability to perceive passion juxtaposed against souless corporate formulation.

Also dealing with subtext, which would let you recognize the difference between a shallow 'dumb action flick' and a movie with action in it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LeJackal posted:

Seems like your issue is an inability to perceive passion juxtaposed against souless corporate formulation.

Also dealing with subtext, which would let you recognize the difference between a shallow 'dumb action flick' and a movie with action in it.

That's not what he's saying at all though, he's saying that most people don't bother looking for that subtext. Look how many people think Starship Troopers isn't a satire, for gently caress's sake.

Jesus Christ let's all stop blowing Robert Cop.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Absolutely, the original is goofy as poo poo and a hilariously good time, but it's also a good movie all around and a timeless classic, a feat most other dumb action flicks could only hope to achieve. From the very moment I heard that there was going to be a Robocop remake, I knew it wasn't going to be as good as the original, but it could still be fun since it would use some of the same concepts as the original.

There haven't been any reviews of it so far, so it's hard to get a sense for if it'll be good or not except from judging by the promo material, which has been trickling out steadily recently and just doesn't make it look all that fun to me. There are flashes of brilliance, like Michael Keaton's scene that was posted earlier, but otherwise it looks like yet another dumb action flick, yet this time it doesn't look like it'll reach that next level of dumb action flick that the original did.

But the verdict is still out. This is all still speculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

wyoming posted:

I mean, for everyone lamenting on how this new movie doesn't look as intelligent or meaningful, as the original, how much are you jerking your chain that you think most people view the original that way? Do you really think most people view the movie with a cyborg driving a Ford Focus as intelligent? That the movie where the main character hides in a warehouse and slowly plods after some stop motion effects as superb action and exquisite art? Hell no, they view it as the goofy robot movie, that's pretty drat fun.

I completely agree with this post. I am not skilled enough to look at the subtext and take most things at facevalue - Robocop to me, as a kid growing up watching it (literally only 4 when it came out), playing with the toys (that badass figure where you put caps in the back and snapped em off so he could shoot plus the shiny Robocop toy car) - it's just a loving cool robot cop who gets poo poo done and fights an even cooler robot in the end with bigger guns. It's not some holy grail that can't be touched - I mean, it SHOULDN'T be remade but hey, lets see what they do. I was a bit perplexed at first but it should be entertaining at least.

• Locked thread