Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Darth Brooks posted:

You want all the colors or just a red/blue trade?

Edit:

I can't be the only one who thinks this looks unironically great and better than the original 12 outfit, even as a quick Photoshop job... right!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kircheis posted:

At Chicago TARDIS, someone asked Colin if he knew what he would have picked if he had input into the costume, and his response was, "yes, and then they gave it to Christopher Eccleston!"

This probably would have been far more awful and cringeworthy than what we got. I can't imagine Colin, with his ridiculous blonde afro, in a bad 80's leather jacket. I can't even imagine that look working with anyone but Eccleston and maybe Tennant.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This probably would have been far more awful and cringeworthy than what we got. I can't imagine Colin, with his ridiculous blonde afro, in a bad 80's leather jacket. I can't even imagine that look working with anyone but Eccleston and maybe Tennant.

I distinctly remember hearing Paul McGann talking about how he wanted to have the Doctor in a leather jacket and trousers etc, with short hair, but was made to wear his costume and have the fake hair/wig attached then the show rebooted and BOOM Eccleston is in the exact costume and hair he wanted!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

James R posted:

I distinctly remember hearing Paul McGann talking about how he wanted to have the Doctor in a leather jacket and trousers etc, with short hair, but was made to wear his costume and have the fake hair/wig attached then the show rebooted and BOOM Eccleston is in the exact costume and hair he wanted!

He referred to it as 'wanting to get in touch with the Doctor's inner binman' :allears:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah pretty much. Colin would have looked like Jeremy Clarkson.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

marktheando posted:

Yeah pretty much. Colin would have looked like Jeremy Clarkson.

How dare you say such things.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

How dare you say such things.

In an alternative timeline Colin stayed Doctor for long enough to get fat and changed his costume to double denim. Clarkson has to find a new look.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
News from today's filming. Looks to be from the end of the episode, Clara takes a call from 11, then passes the phone to 12 and they talk to each other.

https://twitter.com/ryanfarrr

Guy went out for milk and stumbled across them filming. Capaldi in his new costume, and he's wearing the wedding ring. Apparently it's his real one which he usually never takes off.

Some GB fans are thinking the phone thing is reference to Clara finding it off that hook at the end of Time of the Doctor. Not sure if that's existing footage they're going to carry over, or if they're just getting Matt to do some voiceover.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 28, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Teek posted:

Guy went out for milk and stumbled across them filming. Capaldi in his new costume, and he's wearing the wedding ring. Apparently it's his real one which he usually never takes off.

He "stumbles upon" them filming quite a lot. That guy's Twitter is basically the primary source of all the production stills that have been floating around since Capaldi started. :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone else love Capaldi that much more because he never takes off his wedding ring?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In that charity mini and The Christmas Invasion, Tennant rocked that look pretty good. His hair was a bit shaggier and he kind of looked like a taller Richard Hammond. I can't imagine Colin in that outfit, either. The War Doctor variant of it, on the other hand, would have been okay.

It took seven episodes before I finally warmed to the last guy, so I'll give Capaldi until at least his Dalek episode, but his face plus that costume seems more Master than Doctor. We'll see if he has any chemistry with the open and shut book that is Clara, or if it's just to evoke old vibes of when the Doctor was a senior citizen and his companion was a trendy girl of her time.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The thing that leaps out at me right away is that Matt stooped a lot. He was always walking with hunched shoulders, head forward, hands clasped. Mischievous. Capaldi standing arrow straight there just looks so different in tone.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Via Timeboy, one of the reliable GB spoiler posters:

Timeboy posted:

Right, so Eleven is calling Clara during the time between the Daleks' destruction and Clara entering the TARDIS with all the clothes on the floor. I wrote some dialogue down that I'll type up later, but the jist is that he knows she'll find it difficult adjusting, so he phones her.

Twelve asks who it is on the phone. Eleven hears Twelve, and Twelve hears Eleven (over the phone) and they shout to each other "Is that The Doctor?" to simultaneously. No idea if it goes further than that, though.

On a separate note, I can back up the rumours of the new TARDIS exterior. I've been reliably informed that there is a new one from episode 2.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Um...was this known and I missed it?

So are they really going to try to explain why he looks like he does?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Um...was this known and I missed it?

So are they really going to try to explain why he looks like he does?

A quick Google search confirms my initial doubts that that image is real.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Diabolik900 posted:

A quick Google search confirms my initial doubts that that image is real.

Oh, dammit, sorry.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
But Moffat nevertheless said he was going to address Capaldi's appearances in Who and Torchwood. Which I honestly find pretty pointless, because I doubt any interesting story will come from this. Or better, any good idea could be just as well told as an original story.

Why is there such a desire among nerds to explain away any little production error with some kind of in-universe concept.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Does torchwood still exist now that the cybermen didn't invade in the first place

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

e X posted:

But Moffat nevertheless said he was going to address Capaldi's appearances in Who and Torchwood. Which I honestly find pretty pointless, because I doubt any interesting story will come from this. Or better, any good idea could be just as well told as an original story.

Why is there such a desire among nerds to explain away any little production error with some kind of in-universe concept.

Well apparently RTD came up with an idea to explain it that he's explained to Moffat (since they discussed it before, but he explained it in detail a phone conversation after Capaldi was cast and it apparently still works), so technically speaking this was planned back in the RTD era, and Moffat's pretty much just implementing it.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Rita Repulsa posted:

Does torchwood still exist now that the cybermen didn't invade in the first place

Dear God, I hope not.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If they somehow have a really great story about the resemblance, great, but nobody at all cares about it apart from Moffat. I wouldn't blame nerds generally

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Every single fan-made poster in the last few weeks has had a purple sonic screwdriver. They really latch onto one thing and run it hard.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Well, that happened.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
a) That's an edit, look at the top of this page

b) Say what you want, I think he pulls it of.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think the ?s on the collar would look great with his outfit.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm hoping the sweater is a vest. He's gonna look awesome with the jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

I'm hoping the sweater is a vest. He's gonna look awesome with the jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.

It's a long sleeve cardie, it's also from Crombie:

http://crombie.prelive.diligentcommerce.com/navy-merino-wool-cardigan.html

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 29, 2014

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

James R posted:

In his very last storyline in the Doctor Who Monthly comic strip, the 8th Doctor loses his jacket and decides to get a leather coat to replace it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chairman Capone posted:

In his very last storyline in the Doctor Who Monthly comic strip, the 8th Doctor loses his jacket and decides to get a leather coat to replace it.

The best from McGann came from an interview shortly after Eccelston was cast.

"Bet they're not going to make him wear a wig."

Or when he was talking about the script to his BF audio, "Dead London" where the Doctor escapes from a Wicker Man by zip-lining using his cravat.

"I'm still wearing that cravat?"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Davros1 posted:

The best from McGann came from an interview shortly after Eccelston was cast.

"Bet they're not going to make him wear a wig."

Or when he was talking about the script to his BF audio, "Dead London" where the Doctor escapes from a Wicker Man by zip-lining using his cravat.

"I'm still wearing that cravat?"

Got any sources for these - the second, in particular?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm not gonna get too hung up on the new costume in any way because the way things have been with the last 2 Doctors (especially 11) the costumes are more thematic then hard and fast "they always wear these clothes." 10 did the McCoy thing of wearing different color suits with a similar cut, and 11 went a step further and had radically different costumes, all of a similar "look" that complimented his body.

Extrapolating from what we're seeing in that promo pic, I'd say Capaldi will wear stuff that is modern, tight fitting, but still long without being that flying cape-like "hero" coat of the Jack/10 style. A 21st century version of 11's Victorian styled stuff it would seem.

Edit: More fuel for the Pertwee theories:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 30, 2014

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Davros1 posted:

The best from McGann came from a....
Fan lunch my friend had with him recently where he'd opened the conversation by saying he'd been up for 72 hours on account of insomnia and had taken half a tablet of E to cope.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Teek posted:

Via Timeboy, one of the reliable GB spoiler posters:

I love this so much. :3: It's such a grandpa move.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

WebDog posted:

Fan lunch my friend had with him recently where he'd opened the conversation by saying he'd been up for 72 hours on account of insomnia and had taken half a tablet of E to cope.

Holy poo poo did Paul McGann just go from my favorite Doctor to my favorite PERSON? The more I hear from him, the more I like him. Finally someone who uses retarded logic just like me!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Well they're certainly at least as naff as saying "Doctor... Who?!" all the time so maybe they'd work these days.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really liked in the first Eccleston episode when someone referred to him as the doctor and someone (I think Mickey?) said "doctor what?"

I think the first "doctor who?" was in the first Moffat episode, now that I think about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2house2fly posted:

I really liked in the first Eccleston episode when someone referred to him as the doctor and someone (I think Mickey?) said "doctor what?"

I think the first "doctor who?" was in the first Moffat episode, now that I think about it.

Jackie says it in the first Christmas special.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
RTD rarely did the Doctor Who gag, and often even if it was said, it wasn't meant to be a gag.

Unlike with the Moffat stuff where it's this big awful winking nudging thing every loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

The only way I can think of to justify those giant collar points with no tie is to put something on the collar. That's as good as anything.

Though, like I (think I) said in this thread earlier, I want to see how he moves and performs in the costume before I render final judgment.

• Locked thread