Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

I haven't been reading these for a while, but I was interested to know what was up with Big Bad Wolves. I know these are supposed to be more serious reviews but, since this is a comedy website, I still expected there to be some actual jokes? There is the occasional pithy remark, but I distinctly remember these reviews maintaining some sense of humor "back in the day". Again, these are more serious reviews of movies, but this is still a comedy website, and it really doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the really, clearly funny content it shares space with on the front page. Is there something I'm missing here? Surely you can write worthwhile reviews that still contain good laughs, fitting in with the rest of the front page content while also setting it apart from the million other reviews on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well I find the CR jokes to be pretty funny, but what sets them apart from the million other reviews on the internet is that they are actually good reviews of films as well.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I was laughing pretty hard at the I Frankenstein review. I don't think there's a better way to write a funny review of that movie than to just describe what's actually happening, which is something most serious critics seem averse to.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

BeanTaco posted:

I haven't been reading these for a while, but I was interested to know what was up with Big Bad Wolves. I know these are supposed to be more serious reviews but, since this is a comedy website, I still expected there to be some actual jokes? There is the occasional pithy remark, but I distinctly remember these reviews maintaining some sense of humor "back in the day". Again, these are more serious reviews of movies, but this is still a comedy website, and it really doesn't seem to gel with the rest of the really, clearly funny content it shares space with on the front page. Is there something I'm missing here? Surely you can write worthwhile reviews that still contain good laughs, fitting in with the rest of the front page content while also setting it apart from the million other reviews on the internet?
I joke about the movies I hate. That's why I prefer reviewing bad movies. Elsewhere I just come off as a gushing fanboy.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

BeanTaco posted:

I haven't been reading these for a while...

Did you catch this one?
http://www.somethingawful.com/current-movie-reviews/catching-fire-dallas/1/

Catching Fire review posted:

In an early scene, Capitol stormtroopers force the humble citizens of District 12 into the center of town, build a pyre of their belongings and set it on fire. "What a great way to communicate the horrors of the Holocaust to a generation of kids who care less about reading books than ever before," I remarked. Modulating his anger into a stage whisper, he told me the Holocaust was a grand lie designed to besmirch the greatest leader the world had ever seen. I looked back at Mordecai, who grimaced. Montague took another hit of ether.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BeanTaco posted:

Not every movie deserves a jokey review. Would you want one like that for Schindler's List? :godwin:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

OK, now that it's been two months since I've seen Catching Fire and I'm not looking for analysis of it anymore, I have to admit that was pretty funny.

edit: maybe in May I'll have a similar reappraisal of the one for August : Osage County.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 28, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The August: Osage County review is joke enough for the month, honestly.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Some Guy TT posted:

I was laughing pretty hard at the I Frankenstein review. I don't think there's a better way to write a funny review of that movie than to just describe what's actually happening, which is something most serious critics seem averse to.

It's a cardinal sin to overload a review with too much plot summary. You'll go to the circle of Hell reserved for lovely film critics, where demons will poke your eyes out with erasers for the rest of eternity.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
In all fairness, I've always kinda felt that if you can't summarize the plot of a movie in one paragraph, either you're doing something wrong or the movie is. I also give very little fucks about major spoilers, so I sometimes give too much o a movie away, I guess.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I appreciate that you all say what's in a movie because I can make a better decision about seeing it.

My favorite example is Ian's review of 2012 where he summarizes the entire plot. I remember hearing from other people then that there was a huge twist, that you have to see it. I read the review and found out it was stupid poo poo.

elpintogrande
Sep 3, 2000

In my humble opinion current releases strikes the balance just right between being funny and offering critique of current movies. I don't always agree with their conclusions, but I respect how they arrived at them and that's what you want out of a good critic.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

elpintogrande posted:

In my humble opinion current releases strikes the balance just right between being funny and offering critique of current movies. I don't always agree with their conclusions, but I respect how they arrived at them and that's what you want out of a good critic.
So I take it you didn't like Detention either? Someday I will find someone who shares my opinion of that wonderful, wonderful film.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

All I really have to say about this week's reviews is that Imogen Poots is a pretty unbelievable name to have.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

All I really have to say about this week's reviews is that Imogen Poots is a pretty unbelievable name to have.
If you can make it in Hollywood with a name like "Imogen Poots," then I can become president.

Other things I took from the reviews:

-I had a hard time following the review for Labor Day, imagine if I actually wanted to watch that garbage.
-I thought at this point in his career, Brendan Fraser was doing movies for his kids.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That last review literally drove me to tears. Been a whiole since I laughed this hard.

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012

I don't get this joke. Is the feminist slant supposed to be some sort of ironic stab at postmodernist criticism?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Y-Hat posted:

If you can make it in Hollywood with a name like "Imogen Poots," then I can become president.

Other things I took from the reviews:

-I had a hard time following the review for Labor Day, imagine if I actually wanted to watch that garbage.
-I thought at this point in his career, Brendan Fraser was doing movies for his kids.

There were so many terrible things about Labor Day that I honestly struggled to pick and choose what to talk about. I feel like I barely scratched the surface.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
"Doing movies for my kids" is code for "Doing whatever movies someone is willing to offer me."

Also, I feel like Brendan Fraser and Nathan Fillian are in a race to see who can get doughiest the fastest.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Y-Hat posted:

I'm a juvenile little poo poo because I looked her up and saw her full name was Imogen Gay Poots, and I choked from laughing so hard.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

John Dyne posted:

I'm a juvenile little poo poo because I looked her up and saw her full name was Imogen Gay Poots
No loving way. It's like her parents wanted her to commit suicide as a teenager.

Number 36
Jul 5, 2007

Keep it up, kid! Gimmie a smoochie smooch!

Vargo posted:

Also, I feel like Brendan Fraser and Nathan Fillian are in a race to see who can get doughiest the fastest.

Oh man, this forever

I finally watched "You're Next", because of the CR review

It's got some real good black comedy, and the best logic for defending your actions: "I would have never tried to kill you if I had known you would be so good at defending yourself!"

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Vesi posted:

The Humpback of Notre Dame remake could be some hot bodybuilder dude with massive traps

Hey, anything's better than that animated Disney version made back in the 1990s. Not that it didn't have its moments...

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

HonkyDong posted:

I don't get this joke. Is the feminist slant supposed to be some sort of ironic stab at postmodernist criticism?
Nope, just a paranoid view of dystopian England and sadistic aristocracy. In hindsight, I should have set it in Russia.

Number 36 posted:

Oh man, this forever

I finally watched "You're Next", because of the CR review

It's got some real good black comedy, and the best logic for defending your actions: "I would have never tried to kill you if I had known you would be so good at defending yourself!"
I'm glad this movie's still finding new fans. Each of the last three years has seen at least one groundbreaking horror-comedy, and this was definitely one of them. Now check out Resolution!

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 9, 2014

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
If I can't convince anybody to go see LEGO Movie with me, I don't think I can see it. A man sitting by himself watching a children's movie is not a man I want to be.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

N. Senada posted:

If I can't convince anybody to go see LEGO Movie with me, I don't think I can see it. A man sitting by himself watching a children's movie is not a man I want to be.

Eh, just do it! Sure you'll be this guy but you'll still see a cool movie.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

N. Senada posted:

That is a man I have to be frequently. Sure, I have the excuse that it's my job, but really here's the crucial thing: No one cares about what movie you're watching. Sit in the back if you have to. (Unless you think that makes it worse.) But you're in a dark room, no one cares or will even notice.

Alternatively, you could just show all your friends my review and convince them to see the movie.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I went by myself and I was not the only one either. The theater was half full, and most of the people were there by themselves with no children.

No one is going to begrudge an adult seeing a movie about Legos by the directors of 21 Jump Street.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I went by myself and I was not the only one either. The theater was half full, and most of the people were there by themselves with no children.

Nerrrrrrrrrrrds.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Pedophiles, Donny.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Keanu Grieves posted:

Pedophiles, Donny.

I did find it odd that they asked me if I wanted candy.

Number 36
Jul 5, 2007

Keep it up, kid! Gimmie a smoochie smooch!
Take an extra jacket with you and put it in the seat next to yours, as if a buddy of yours set it down and went to the washroom/concessions. For added effect, play around with your phone right before the movie starts and whisper to yourself just loud enough for people near you to hear, "Man, where is Phil? He's gonna miss the start of the movie!"

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I would much rather be the guy at the movie by himself than the guy at the movie by himself pretending he has friends.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm really disappointed Vargo didn't like Feral more, as that was my favorite animated short from last years Sundance. I also feel the need to point out that while it looks traditionally animated, according to the Q+A I saw it was somehow done in Flash.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I think the best part of that Korean Robocop advert was that it used the Back to the Future 3 theme music?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOypL96dRw

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Did that Minority Report imply Robocop 2 was less than great? Egads!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Yeah, most of RoboCop 2 is straight up dogshit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
RoboCop 2 is only good when compared to RoboCop 3.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

But the premise behind RoboCop 2 is sterling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Regarding Jay Dub's reviews of The Wind Rises, I like the idea that Miyazaki wrote a film about how he kind of hates anime even though he loves writing about it. However, I think making the metaphor only about anime is a bit limiting.

I regularly read Animation Magazine, because one of the libraries I go to stocks it and I'm probably the only person who can read it so I do. This is a trade magazine for animators, so basically all the articles are fluff pieces for new animated films. Like, the filmmakers will brag about the creative process behind the Nut Job, praise the family driven morals of Despicable Me 2, and talk about how good a job they're doing engaging children for Walking With Dinosaurs 3D. It was right after reading the article for the last one (the only movie mentioned in this post I'v actually seen) that I got to the piece on The Wind Rises, and it just sort of hit me. These people are Horikoshi. They love animation, and they love making animated movies, even if they're not very good at it, and they're just doing their darnedest to hide or obfuscate the terrible messages these narratives actually have for children by cloaking it in creativity so they have a nice protective bubble for when the critics get around to panning it. Assuming they ever do.

It's a movie I really need to see, because the review has convinced me this is a movie about the dark side of what the creative process actually produces. Which is something nearly everyone seems to hate discussing in movies. And I doubt that many people are actually going to read it that way because of course none of us are as terrible as Imperial Japan but still. I think I'd really like it.

• Locked thread