Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I have no idea how Horsey gets invited to all these parties, but...

That's another reason why I like Horsey so much - he's basically the closest editorial cartooning has to a socialite, and he isn't afraid to show it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

:siren: The best Drybone I have ever read :siren:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There's seriously gonna be like five different SOTU responses from Republicans.

Who's being caricatured in "unhinged response"?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Lycus posted:

Bill O'Reilly?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lycus posted:

Pretty sure it's Ron Paul. He's supposed to make one tonight as well.

walking
Nov 27, 2013

Lycus posted:

Ron Paul

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

No idea who this person is supposed to be, but anyone who thinks Tim Donnelly should be governor ought to be burned at the stake.
That is Maria Conchita Alonso, a beauty pageant winner or somesuch, who did a terrible commercial for Tim Donnelly. Benson even included the dog! Anyways, you are not allowed to be critical of anyone that supports Lisa Benson's side. That is like a witch-burning.

Oh, and thanks to the magic of the internet, this commercial can be inflicted upon all of you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_vLWXC6kj0

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She's an actress who was mostly known for stuff in the 80s. I guess she's technically been working since then, but I never recognize when she's in stuff anymore. I had no idea she was a big Republican.

Edit: That commercial says he came to California with 300 dollars in his pocket and started his own business. His biography on ca.gov says he came to California to attend college, then spent five years working for his father's business. I'm sure his father didn't help with his tuition or help him start his business at all, right?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 29, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

XyloJW posted:

Also, Exclamation Marx gave it today's date using the inferior New Zealand "day-month-year" scheme.

Oh gently caress. I even remembered to make it the 27th instead of the 28th :saddowns:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Okay, nice try everyone, but if this guy was actually running for Governor of California, he wouldn't be wearing a cowboy hat.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Lycus posted:

She's an actress who was mostly known for stuff in the 80s. I guess she's technically been working since then, but I never recognize when she's in stuff anymore. I had no idea she was a big Republican.

Edit: That commercial says he came to California with 300 dollars in his pocket and started his own business. His biography on ca.gov says he came to California to attend college, then spent five years working for his father's business. I'm sure his father didn't help with his tuition or help him start his business at all, right?

She was the actress in Running Man and Predator 2.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I would go more with the zombie motif what with PA's rich history with that genre, but yeah I'll vote for those clones. Also they should be saying legalize selling alcohol outside of out dated distributors.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

goddamn, if there are this many state of the union "preview" cartoons....

As someone who never followed political cartoons until I had a thread to mock them in, can anyone tell me how long post-SOTU cartooning will last? April? July?

edit:

achillesforever6 posted:

I would go more with the zombie motif what with PA's rich history with that genre, but yeah I'll vote for those clones. Also they should be saying legalize selling alcohol outside of out dated distributors.

Good lord no! That's a Corbett position.

:ssh: Also it's something everyone's thinking, but it's such a goddamn complicated thing to actually pull off, I mean the distributors and the way it's done now are really stupid and nearly everyone agrees, but they're businesses with workers and how do you deal with putting them all out of a job in one fell swoop? It obviously should be done eventually, but the actual action has to get past the "job killer!" barrier, and as long as the current system is "not that bad" as to really necessitate change, it might be a while before anyone actually pulls the trigger. But right now Corbett's drive to privatize them is being painted by the liquor store workers as "ANTI-UNION" so I could see a democrat candidate supporting them just to look pro-union.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 29, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

alnilam posted:

As someone who never followed political cartoons until I had a thread to mock them in, can anyone tell me how long post-SOTU cartooning will last? April? July?

Given that a certain drunk duck is still harping on about New Years predictions, we can safely assume he won't even get started on SOTU cartoons for at least a week.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cartoonists in California whine so much about taxes, but doesn't it take a moderate miracle for any tax increases to pass over there?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Rorus Raz posted:

Cartoonists in California whine so much about taxes, but doesn't it take a moderate miracle for any tax increases to pass over there?
In the past, but miracles aren't necessary currently because we have a Democratic legislative supermajority and a Democratic governor.

The voters also voluntarily raised taxes via initiative in the last election.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 29, 2014

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

alnilam posted:

Well Benghazi cartoons and "If you like your ____ you can keep your ____" cartoons are still showing up from time to time and it's 2014, so depending on whether or not the GOP decides to make anything from the SOTU into a catchphrase they could be going for the next few years. It really depends on which specific non-issue they feel like complaining about.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Obama fired America.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The highlight of this is Hawaii. The low point is the pink slip labeled "PINK SLIPS."

e: In Which Matt Bors Describes A Guy He Met At His Table At A Convention

loquacius fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 29, 2014

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

steinrokkan posted:

That's another reason why I like Horsey so much - he's basically the closest editorial cartooning has to a socialite, and he isn't afraid to show it off.

Horsey just seems to really love his career, and that sense of enthusiasm really comes through in a lot of his comics. The guy seems to REALLY love drawing.

Compared to how bitter and jaded a lot of the cartoonists come across as, Horsey's attitude is refreshing.

That, and his art is usually really good, and he makes a good point every now and again.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

loquacius posted:

The highlight of this is Hawaii. The low point is the pink slip labeled "PINK SLIPS."

e: In Which Matt Bors Describes A Guy He Met At His Table At A Convention

That guy is the loving man

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

loquacius posted:

Also no Alaska.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

That Rand Paul is somethin' else :allears:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

loquacius posted:

I really hate to be fair to Ramirez but that's because his strips also get published in black & white.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Also no Alaska.
It's next to Hawaii.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

XyloJW posted:

It's next to Hawaii.

:psyduck: Wait I thought he hosed up Hawaii. THAT'S SUPPOSED TO BE ALASKA?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
He made them both really tiny, which mapmakers sometimes do because otherwise Alaska would be taking up like a quarter of the map.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Lycus posted:

The responses tonight come from Cathy McMorris-Rogers, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, and Ted Cruz. I'm guessing "unhinged" is Cruz.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Does Ramirez run in color in the papers? In black and white you'd need the label for his shitheaded opinion to make any kind of sense.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I was checking DbD for updates but I assume he's waiting for the SotU to be over before he throws some poo poo together.

Probably has the comic ready and is just waiting for a random Obama quote to place in it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Bors did a quick thing about the address.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

RyokoTK posted:

Does Ramirez run in color in the papers? In black and white you'd need the label for his shitheaded opinion to make any kind of sense.

I've seen a few printed in color over the years. So yes, in some places.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Edit: Nevermind. Have a Dry Bones instead of useless conjecture.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 29, 2014

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Meh.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Obama literally said "Day by Day" in his speech.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

I don't believe it. He's putting the "president is incompetent and can't do anything" and "president is monolithic evil and has taken over completely" in the same strip and still doesn't see the cognitive dissonance. :psyduck:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Eh, there's an internally consistent worldview in "that hapless president is trying his darndest to be an evil mastermind who ruins everything, and god help us if he succeeds, but so far his progress has been slowed by his pure incompetence." Basically, they think a bunch of evil democrats gave an evil idiot the reins of power. "If only ~people like him~ weren't so lazy, democrats would have run this country into the ground by now." Kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tifosibella
Aug 17, 2005

captian r u gay

Ditocoaf posted:

Eh, there's an internally consistent worldview in "that hapless president is trying his darndest to be an evil mastermind who ruins everything, and god help us if he succeeds, but so far his progress has been slowed by his pure incompetence." Basically, they think a bunch of evil democrats gave an evil idiot the reins of power. "If only ~people like him~ weren't so lazy, democrats would have run this country into the ground by now." Kill me.

The best part about that is they tried their damnedest to put Mitt Romney in the White House. :allears:

• Locked thread