Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

TheJoker138 posted:

6 was not better than 5. In fact it was much, much worse than 5.

I bet. Just spent the last ten minutes reading the Wiki for it. It just seems like desperate pandering and drawing back on old characters. SHERRY'S BACK! WESKER HAD A KID! ADA, WAIT. Fake Ada? Shooting the president? Chris Redfield does not punch a boulder in RE6, presumably, so it is by definition a worst game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bogart posted:

I bet. Just spent the last ten minutes reading the Wiki for it. It just seems like desperate pandering and drawing back on old characters. SHERRY'S BACK! WESKER HAD A KID! ADA, WAIT. Fake Ada? Shooting the president? Chris Redfield does not punch a boulder in RE6, presumably, so it is by definition a worst game.

It also played like someone at Capcom finally got around to playing Gears of War and then went "how can we make this game, but make it suck complete rear end?" And then they answered that question in the most definitive way possible.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

woodenchicken posted:

When I started RE4 for the first time, I couldn't see where the universal praise was coming from. Sure, it was a competent shooter with great weird atmosphere, but a masterpiece?

Then I tried playing Code Veronica, and understood everything.

RE4 isn't really about the shooting mechanics, it's about using strategy. That game has a more dynamic environment than most shooters (probably only comparable to something like Metal Gear), and the encounters are designed in a manner that forces you to think about what you're doing and tackle each enemy in a way that's immediately most beneficial to your situation. There's a ton of variety and choice in everything you do. That's why people hold it up as a masterpiece, not because it's a "competent shooter".

Taking it as a whole, there aren't actually many (any?) other games about shooting things that offer such a high level of interactivity as RE4.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Captain Novolin posted:

Fortunately it is, it's based off the HD version so hopefully it'll ship with a lighting engine, mouse support and graphics options other than "640x480 or 1024x768"
It does. The NeoGAF CSI unit says, based on screenshot comparisons, it's missing a couple of small visual effects (depth of field and similar blurring, basically) due to how those effects were basically coded very specifically to the Gamecube/Wii's hardware. Apparently those were missing from the HD vrsions too, so no biggie I guess.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

I really wonder what's going to happen with Broken Age, it doesn't seem to have gotten much traction on Steam on it's launch day.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

woodenchicken posted:

When I started RE4 for the first time, I couldn't see where the universal praise was coming from. Sure, it was a competent shooter with great weird atmosphere, but a masterpiece?

Then I tried playing Code Veronica, and understood everything.

It's pretty much the perfect example of taking a classic franchise and modernizing it perfectly by trimming all the unfun bullshit and adding new stuff that was fun and made sense within the context of the series (i.e shooting is much better, but you're still discouraged from just dumping on every enemy)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sendo posted:

I really wonder what's going to happen with Broken Age, it doesn't seem to have gotten much traction on Steam on it's launch day.

It's still a 2D adventure game, I don't think it was ever going to be a huge seller despite good worth of mouth.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Kickstarter makes thing seem bigger than they are. I know the Veronica Mars movie is getting a theatrical release and I'm pretty sure it's going to bomb.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sendo posted:

Most of the people who really wanted it got keys through Kickstarter to play early, and I wouldn't be surprised if people were holding off until the second half got released.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Besides, since most of it was paid by kickstarter I'd imagine they don't need that many sales to break even.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

DrManiac posted:

Besides, since most of it was paid by kickstarter I'd imagine they don't need that many sales to break even.

Considering they broke it into two parts explicitly because they needed more money than what they got through KS to continue development, they probably need more than you'd think. 2+ years of funding a studio + documentary crew is not cheap.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Kickstarter makes thing seem bigger than they are. I know the Veronica Mars movie is getting a theatrical release and I'm pretty sure it's going to bomb.

Pretty sure nobody expects the movie to make any money at the box office/attract a crowd outside of the backers/fans. It launches at what? 200 screens nationwide? That's less than foreign movies/arthouse movies get just to make it to Oscar season. These are pretty clearly "for the fans"-screenings.

Same with Broken Age. Most people interested in 2D-adventures already backed it during the last year or two. Only people buying it now are the ones who were wary of the whole KS thing, waiting for some reviews.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This might be the neatest promo video ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA

Too bad I got even less interested in Lightning Returns after the demo, but... neat!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Quick Look of The Castle Doctrine. Craziness of creator aside, this looks like a really neat game that really, badly needs UI polish and some not programmer art. Also not being able to save layouts and no tooltips to explain anything at all is just awful.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Too bad I got even less interested in Lightning Returns after the demo, but... neat!

I love how even this summary of the plot so far gives no real clues on what the gently caress is really happening in the plot.

E: Castle Doctrine looks amazing and like it will be the poo poo, watch the QL. Cool idea.

sulley
Aug 15, 2004

Not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
All this talk about resident evil and forgettable games. RE5 has to be one of the most forgettable games I've ever played. Maybe I just played it at a bad time in my life or something, but I can hardly remember a single thing about that game except that the girl character helped you up ledges I think. Don't remember a single boss fight much less the end, and I know I beat the game and even started a new game for about an hour.

poo poo I'm even pretty sure I played co-op with a friend for a little and still can't recall anything.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only thing I really remember about RE5 is boulder punch and that N'Gai wrote a sensationalist piece about how the game was racist because the enemies were black or something.

RE4 was best played by shooting an enemy until they staggered then running up and mashing the melee button. Once Leon learned how to do suplexes the game became a more hilarious romp.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

RE4 has one of the best shotguns of all time, among other things.

But yeah it really is the only playable RE game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Once you stop seeing Resident Evil 4 as a shooting game and start seeing it as a CQC Naked Snake style game, it gets better. Roundhouse every mother fuckin' thing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't know what's happening to me, man. A few months ago I started playing through my SNES copy of Final Fantasy 6, and of course I dig the hell out of it, because that game's awesome.

Then people told me that Final Fantasy 14 was the best FF-related product since like 9 or 10, so I bought it for $10, and I really like it despite me usually loathing the gently caress out of MMOs.

Then I saw Lightning Returns was going to be released soon, so I thought "let's play through Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2" and I'm like 25 hours in and I'm actually loving liking that a lot as well.

Send help, pl

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know what's happening to me, man. A few months ago I started playing through my SNES copy of Final Fantasy 6, and of course I dig the hell out of it, because that game's awesome.

Then people told me that Final Fantasy 14 was the best FF-related product since like 9 or 10, so I bought it for $10, and I really like it despite me usually loathing the gently caress out of MMOs.

Then I saw Lightning Returns was going to be released soon, so I thought "let's play through Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2" and I'm like 25 hours in and I'm actually loving liking that a lot as well.

Send help, pl

13's gameplay is really neat once you wrap your head around it. The game's story and pacing are absolute garbage, but figuring out boss fights and how to best end them quickly is amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

sulley posted:

All this talk about resident evil and forgettable games. RE5 has to be one of the most forgettable games I've ever played. Maybe I just played it at a bad time in my life or something, but I can hardly remember a single thing about that game except that the girl character helped you up ledges I think. Don't remember a single boss fight much less the end, and I know I beat the game and even started a new game for about an hour.

poo poo I'm even pretty sure I played co-op with a friend for a little and still can't recall anything.

Chris punches a boulder, Wesker says "complete....global...saturation!" and then Chris throws him into a volcano. That's all you need to remember about it.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Yodzilla posted:

Quick Look of The Castle Doctrine. Craziness of creator aside, this looks like a really neat game that really, badly needs UI polish and some not programmer art. Also not being able to save layouts and no tooltips to explain anything at all is just awful.

When I heard them talking about it on the bombcast it sounded like a less polished and more deliberately provocative "Mighty Quest for Epic Loot".

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

13's gameplay is really neat once you wrap your head around it. The game's story and pacing are absolute garbage, but figuring out boss fights and how to best end them quickly is amazing.

The bosses are neat and fun, but unfortunately, that neatness does not translate well to fighting the ordinary mooks. They become so amazingly dull to fight.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's true, which is why I enjoyed the fact that 13-2 was so much easier than 13 was. I just wanted to see the crazy time travel poo poo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Another Person posted:

The bosses are neat and fun, but unfortunately, that neatness does not translate well to fighting the ordinary mooks. They become so amazingly dull to fight.

That and the game is a sleepwalk for 20+ hours and then BAM you fight Barthandelus and it's like hitting a brick wall.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

That and the game is a sleepwalk for 20+ hours and then BAM you fight Barthandelus and it's like hitting a brick wall.

I'd say the boss fight with the thing that looks like a goliath Bulbasaur is the first actually challenging one, but not a real jump. Sleepwalk is apt though, because all of the fights for the first 20 hours have no variety at all. You don't have enough powers for variety. Barthandelus was never that tricky to me and my friend who I played with, but I think we figured out how to break the game and make it so that you have no weak characters. Accessories. Don't bother levelling weapons, only level accessories. We still need to finish that game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Another Person posted:

Really? Most of those encounters can be beaten super fast if you treat them like the boss fights, and since the game is literally one long hallway they built each encounter individually so you could plan for them.

Like no non-boss fight in FF13 should like more than like 3 mins. Even the big turtle things go down really fast once you know how to stagger them just right.

EDIT: VVV levels don't really matter in FF13. They make things easier, but it's well within your power to beat the bosses soundly and quickly even with an 'level 1' party. It's all about know how to abuse/use the Paradigm system.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 29, 2014

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Yodzilla posted:

The best part about this fight is that it contains a hidden arbitrary time limit. Even if you're managing to win the fight after 20 minutes he just casts a spell that kills your party leader, leading to a game over.

Then, once you go back and grind out the levels required to beat him, and beat him quickly, the game goes right back to being a loving sleepwalk.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Yup that's pretty much when I dropped the game forever and realized I just wasted around 30 hours of my life playing this garbage. I kept waiting for it to get good, but it never did. What a terrible loving game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Barthandelus was the most difficult part (I'm at the chapter just after that fight), but I beat him on my first try, and I didn't think it was that bad. Of course I have a tendency to grind too much in these types of games.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I really liked both Final Fantasy 13 and Resident Evil 6 (when playing coop). I kinda liked the story to 13 and the game looks fantastic, has a great soundtrack and I found the battle system to be really fun. Resident Evil 6 is just so dumb that I find it really hard to understand how anyone can possibly take anything from it seriously, like one part where you have the SHITTIEST CAMERA EVER for the multiple chase scenes against the final boss of the Chris campaign, my friend and I kept dying because of it and we found it to be absolutely hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Popy posted:

RE4, Killer7, and God Hand shaped me as a gamer. Remember when Capcom made good games.

I remember hearing the PC port of RE4 was horrible. Unless this is a new port.

RE4 has never been ported before to PC, you're thinking about Devil May Cry 3 which was so bad that it forced Capcom to open up their own PC port division and why all their ports afterwards are super awesome.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Tae posted:

RE4 has never been ported before to PC, you're thinking about Devil May Cry 3 which was so bad that it forced Capcom to open up their own PC port division and why all their ports afterwards are super awesome.

RE4 definitely came out on PC in ~2007 I think? It was a seriously terrible port.

e: Yep, it was outsourced and published by Ubisoft for some reason. Weird.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tae posted:

No, there is definitely a PC version of RE4 and if I remember correctly it's even worse than DMC3.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The original PC port of RE4 forgot to ship with lighting.

Ponder this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh, right. I completely forgot Ubisoft was a third-party porter back in those years, and yet they're worse at porting their poo poo than Capcom years later.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I must be the only person in the world who genuinely enjoyed RE5. I never played it single player with a partner AI, only co-op, and blasted through that game 4 or 5 times until we were done with it. Professional was so difficult and ammo so scarce that you had to have at least one infinite ammo gun by chapter 2 or you were simply hosed. Again, script is awful translated shonen, but that is a seriously enjoyable action game. I loved 4 but I didn't play it for the atmosphere, just the gameplay.

I still think Wesker's teleporting fight scenes are pretty bad rear end :v:

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

The first PC version of RE4 didn't even have mouse support at first, they had to patch it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Kins posted:

The original PC port of RE4 forgot to ship with lighting.

Ponder this.

Also wasn't it based more on the PS2 version of the game which had much worse textures?

• Locked thread