Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

mng posted:

FTFY.

I hear you on the 'make lots of babies, this is now my permanent job' people, though. Especially when they got engaged like two years prior.
:goonsay:

They got engaged two years ago and the wedding isn't until next year. She already bought hers and the bridesmaids dresses, which everyone finds bizarre. :|

TheMaskedChemist posted:

A lot of people lack education and access to cheap reliable control. This especially tends to be true among those living paycheck to paycheck.

Oh no I understand that and I didn't mean to come off as snide but this isn't one of those cases. She wanted to get pregnant both times (thought she claims she didn't), and her mom pays for a shitload of the kid's stuff and takes him practically every weekend. She's not a bad mom and I've seen worse, but they're both lazy and kinda selfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Out of curiosity, why are grape soda and fried chicken stereotypically considered black people food?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Experto Crede posted:

Out of curiosity, why are grape soda and fried chicken stereotypically considered black people food?

One reason for fried chicken was it was fairly popular with slaves in the South. Chickens were easy enough to raise, and fried chicken traveled well.

The other reason is tied in with grape soda/grape drink, orange soda, etc. Those, along with fried chicken, collard greens, watermelon, (insert other racial stereotypes here) were and often still are foods of poverty in the South, black and white. Those things either grew or were raised easily on the cheap (watermelon especially grows very well in large portions of the South), or were otherwise easily available through barter or trade for low cost. I'm not exactly sure why they've ended up tied almost solely to black people across the US, but they are often considered both black and 'poor person' food, in a lot of areas of the South.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don't know that we have a "actually cool things on Facebook" thread, but in lieu of that, I saw this:

When I die, I hope my children write in a similar vein on their Myspace account profiles. For you see, social network popularity goes in cycles. It goes: Friendster-->Myspace-->Facebook-->Google+(lol jk)-->???-->bulletin boards in the FEMA camps-->Friendster-->Myspace... ad nauseum.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Experto Crede posted:

Because of stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UayQTu2kH-U
GRAPE DRANK.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never met a black person that didn't like fried chicken. I've also never met a white person that didn't like fried chicken. Or a human of any race that didn't like friend chicken.

Fried chicken is delicious is what I'm saying.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you see a similar stereotype with Native Americans, that they're drunks. Not because of, you know, poverty or hundreds of years of genocide or the general bleakness of some reservations; it's because Native Americans are just bad people who can't control themselves and isn't that funny?
Honestly, and I don't mean to derail, but it's why I have a problem with websites like People of Walmart. Don't get me wrong, I find some of the stuff to be hilarious and I honestly have no idea what goes through people's heads when they go out in public, but a lot of it is "haha, poors".

Anyway, content: https://twitter.com/thatschic/status/428234304695463936

More from the shoot: http://jezebel.com/fashion-blogger-stages-terribly-stupid-shoot-in-jewish-1511928450

Fashion blogger had a photo shoot in a Jewish Mausoleum and had this to say about it:

quote:

The contrast of finding myself in a place I never want to be, in an outfit that I will wear for the rest of my life is slightly disturbing. But that's what you get when you hang out with kids in their teens and want to explore anything and everything around. That though, is a refreshing perspective that you lose as you grow up. And with all the changes I'm implementing in my life, curiosity is back up on the chart of mindfulness. Thank you Aaron and Karissa for reminding me what it feels like to genuinely not give a gently caress.

I love people who consider being insensitive or rude or obnoxious as just being a free spirit and special snowflake. And not a massive dick.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Toad on a Hat posted:

Oh no I understand that and I didn't mean to come off as snide but this isn't one of those cases. She wanted to get pregnant both times (thought she claims she didn't), and her mom pays for a shitload of the kid's stuff and takes him practically every weekend. She's not a bad mom and I've seen worse, but they're both lazy and kinda selfish.
Ah, sorry about that then. I'm from Texas so that phrase is on a bit of a hair-trigger.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Depictions of African Americans eating watermelon have their roots in slavery. These depictions showed African Americans as lazy and simplistic. They didn't need freedom or social justice in order to be happy. The only thing they needed was a piece of shade and a watermelon.

The Jim Crow Museum has a good write up of this relationship: http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/question/may08/
Sociological Images has some great examples of the stereotype: http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2012/12/26/slavery-and-the-watermelon/

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?
In non-"things that are tasty that have become stereotypes for 'black people food'":

So I'm sure by now Atlanta has become the laughing stock of most of the US because of what happened yesterday. For anyone who hasn't heard, we had warning for days that we were going to be getting snow most of the day yesterday, but because there were no advisories issued by the DOT, and businesses and schools can't always just say "oh, we're closed because it might snow", a good portion of the population had to go to school or work. After a similar snow-based shutdown happened in 2011, the Department of Transportation purchased more plows, more salt trucks, and a brine maker to pre-treat roads in the case of incoming inclement weather, all while making a big promise to be more proactive in the future. Guess what didn't happen? What this meant is that, by the time the snow was sticking where most people in the North Metro Atlanta area work, it was often already iced over at their homes. Parts of the interstates were completely impassable from black ice, stalled cars, and accidents (with no indication on the signs the DOT controls). Hours into this mess, the DOT and Governor start releasing statements at press conferences blaming the people trying to get home for the road conditions, and stating that it would have been a waste of resources to pre-treat the roads. Never mind that the DOT had to activate contracts with private companies and the Governor had to literally call in the loving National Guard to help people who were stranded in certain areas, it would have been a waste to spread the stuff you purchased on tax money specifically to prevent this.

But no, that's not the idiocy. It's spread across so many GDOT posts and YouTube videos that screencaps would be prohibitive at this point, but there are literally people defending the DOT's position. So far, I've seen a few classes of this:

"Of course the DOT can't clear a road when it's packed with cars!" This one falls flat both on the fact that they could have pre-treated, and the fact that there were parts of roads that motorists couldn't reach, but the DOT did nothing about them for hours. Some roads got plowed, but nothing was spread to ensure that they did not immediately ice over again.

"The roads were totally passable at (when I drove home); if you'd left earlier, you'd have been fine" / "You should have used surface streets". Other roads were iced over, and some surface streets completely closed to non-residents, by that very time or earlier, and people can't always just say "oh, it looks bad out there, I'm leaving" (especially not when they're in the middle of performing a root canal!). A couple of these people admitted later that they never actually drove out to work, and in fact worked from home (again, not a luxury a lot of people had).

"Your employer should have closed down if it was so obvious that we were going to have problems" / "You should have stayed home if you were so sure of snow" Again, telling people that they should have abandoned their jobs for the day because it was going to snow, risking being fired for it, is putting the blame on the wrong people.

"I'm a trucker and I drive in this weather all the time and you car people just don't know how to drive in winter weather". Again, blame the people who were stranded for (I am not loving kidding) sometimes up to 21 hours because you've forgotten that the other states you drive through have both preparedness and rapid response plans for inclement weather. And never mind that other truckers are complaining that they were stuck because of ice, not traffic, and that the DOT wasn't sending out advisories while the poo poo was happening, let alone before.

"There was nothing they could have done, because they don't have the equipment." I've literally seen people claim that the GDOT doesn't have salt trucks on the exact same post where the DOT was talking about their deployment of salt trucks.

It's literally sickening to watch people who didn't have to spend nearly an entire day in their cars telling those of us who either were out stuck in it or had loved ones who were that the people most harmed by this were to blame for what happened, including government officials and spokespeople.

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Jan 30, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Who What Now posted:

Fried chicken is delicious is what I'm saying.
Truth told, I can't stand the stuff. Which is odd because I love chicken-fried steak, but I guess I'm just not that big on chicken-fried chicken. Maybe it's just western-style chicken in general with me, rotisserie is nasty but Korean Chicken is ballin'.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Jan 30, 2014

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh Bing, you are just so precious.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Off topic from my previous rant...

OBAMA!!!!!! :argh: I especially like the fact that earlier that day she shared something that specifically said "Governor declares state of emergency" but nope totally Obama's fault

She lives in South Carolina for the curious

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This just in, Obama takes credit for noticing it's snowing in the South

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

into the void posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you see a similar stereotype with Native Americans, that they're drunks. Not because of, you know, poverty or hundreds of years of genocide or the general bleakness of some reservations; it's because Native Americans are just bad people who can't control themselves and isn't that funny?
Honestly, and I don't mean to derail, but it's why I have a problem with websites like People of Walmart. Don't get me wrong, I find some of the stuff to be hilarious and I honestly have no idea what goes through people's heads when they go out in public, but a lot of it is "haha, poors".

Anyway, content: https://twitter.com/thatschic/status/428234304695463936

More from the shoot: http://jezebel.com/fashion-blogger-stages-terribly-stupid-shoot-in-jewish-1511928450

Fashion blogger had a photo shoot in a Jewish Mausoleum and had this to say about it:

I love people who consider being insensitive or rude or obnoxious as just being a free spirit and special snowflake. And not a massive dick.

The photoshoot was in Hollywood Forever, which isn't a Jewish mausoleum. It's a cemetery where many Jewish celebrities are interred, though. This woman is very foolish but it's not like she was posing inside a Holocaust museum or Auschwitz or something.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Toad on a Hat posted:

She lives in South Carolina for the curious

I live on the SC coast and people have been losing their poo poo all over the place for the last few days. The people here simply can't handle themselves because of 2-3 days of worse-than-average winter weather. It's embarassing/scary.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FrozenVent posted:

It takes a whole 30 seconds to check Obama's twitter and realize this isn't real. Guess it's faster to just get offended.

:getin: FOUR MORE YEARS :getin:

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo I need to make a Twitter just to follow this one account.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Clochette posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo I need to make a Twitter just to follow this one account.

That's just it, @BarackObama is a real and boring Twitter account, someone just photoshopped fake tweets to look like they're from that page.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Clochette posted:

The photoshoot was in Hollywood Forever, which isn't a Jewish mausoleum. It's a cemetery where many Jewish celebrities are interred, though. This woman is very foolish but it's not like she was posing inside a Holocaust museum or Auschwitz or something.

Fair enough. I think my problem with it was her general obliviousness to why people would have a problem with her taking fashion photos in an area where people might be mourning. If I was in a cemetery to visit the grave of a loved one, I would be pretty pissed off if some woman was modeling her favorite outfit. I don't think it would be that big of a problem if it was related to death or being jewish or mourning or something. Instead it's some bullshit about feeling young again because she's hanging out with teenagers and teenagers are generally insensitive shits.

Edit: Oh and apparently she posted it on the 59th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. No idea if she knew that, but if she did, it would certainly raise the bar on disrespectful behavior in a graveyard.

Fake Edit: She describes herself as 'funemployed'.

into the void has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Jan 30, 2014

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

hahaha

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LordSaturn posted:

That's just it, @BarackObama is a real and boring Twitter account, someone just photoshopped fake tweets to look like they're from that page.

Is there anyplace that is collecting these? Googling for fake Obama tweets just gives me a bunch of stories about Obama having fake followers.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

fullroundaction posted:

I live on the SC coast and people have been losing their poo poo all over the place for the last few days. The people here simply can't handle themselves because of 2-3 days of worse-than-average winter weather. It's embarassing/scary.

I have friends in Alabama and while they're not losing their poo poo, everyone around them is. They saw three fender-benders before lunch.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

:smith: Aww. I was really hoping someone had snatched up that username before Obama himself to post ridiculous poo poo.

into the void posted:

Fair enough. I think my problem with it was her general obliviousness to why people would have a problem with her taking fashion photos in an area where people might be mourning. If I was in a cemetery to visit the grave of a loved one, I would be pretty pissed off if some woman was modeling her favorite outfit. I don't think it would be that big of a problem if it was related to death or being jewish or mourning or something. Instead it's some bullshit about feeling young again because she's hanging out with teenagers and teenagers are generally insensitive shits.

Edit: Oh and apparently she posted it on the 59th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. No idea if she knew that, but if she did, it would certainly raise the bar on disrespectful behavior in a graveyard.

Fake Edit: She describes herself as 'funemployed'.

When I saw "funemployed" I was ready to hate this loving bitch with the strength of ten thousand Varangian armies, but then I read the whole thing and I can't really say she was giving Jews and Holocaust victims the middle finger. She posted an apology on her blog that sounds pretty sincere, and I kind of admire that because a lot of people would try to rationalize instead of admitting that they hosed up.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Clochette posted:

:smith: Aww. I was really hoping someone had snatched up that username before Obama himself to post ridiculous poo poo.

When I saw "funemployed" I was ready to hate this loving bitch with the strength of ten thousand Varangian armies, but then I read the whole thing and I can't really say she was giving Jews and Holocaust victims the middle finger. She posted an apology on her blog that sounds pretty sincere, and I kind of admire that because a lot of people would try to rationalize instead of admitting that they hosed up.

Wow, that was a good apology. And not the 'sorry you got offended' variety. Alright, internet rage decreasing.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Someone I'm thinking of un-following shared a NaturalNews piece about people avoiding the flu fly vaccine. FYGM levels are as expected.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

I don't even know what to say to this.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

The Comna posted:

I don't even know what to say to this.

"Because you are in African American Theater History class and not Child Sex Slavery Theater History class."

In ten years, when all the survivors die, people like this will be posting on social media why they have to learn about the Holocaust in class because no jew today has been tossed into a concentration camp. Oh who am I kidding. Those posts probably already exist.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

into the void posted:

"Because you are in African American Theater History class and not Child Sex Slavery Theater History class."

In ten years, when all the survivors die, people like this will be posting on social media why they have to learn about the Holocaust in class because no jew today has been tossed into a concentration camp. Oh who am I kidding. Those posts probably already exist.

There's already a number of people who believe the holocaust was a hoax.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Clochette posted:

This was a good apology. Also, I feel a little different knowing it was Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Hollywood Forever is a bit of an odd place. They hold immensely popular outdoor movie festivals on the grounds each summer. The Flaming Lips did a two night concert there called "Everyone You Know Someday Will Die." The Breaking Bad series finale post-show where they interviewed the cast took place there. It's a cemetery, but it isn't your average cemetery.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Edit: Beaten like a slave by the whites of yesterday.

E: still though. If you dont know how to reply you could always just explain to him how he can go gently caress himself.

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 04:48 on Jan 30, 2014

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Staryberry posted:

This was a good apology. Also, I feel a little different knowing it was Hollywood Forever Cemetery. Hollywood Forever is a bit of an odd place. They hold immensely popular outdoor movie festivals on the grounds each summer. The Flaming Lips did a two night concert there called "Everyone You Know Someday Will Die." The Breaking Bad series finale post-show where they interviewed the cast took place there. It's a cemetery, but it isn't your average cemetery.

I think a fictional version of Hollywood Forever was in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines too. :v:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Are y'all under the impression that cemeteries are not regularly sites for photoshoots, particularly amateur fashion shoots? I've got news for you...

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Are y'all under the impression that cemeteries are not regularly sites for photoshoots, particularly amateur fashion shoots? I've got news for you...

They are but someone doing a shoot in a Jewish mausoleum with that huge Star of David in the background can provoke a visceral reaction.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's at Hollywood Forever, it's not a Jewish mausoleum.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

There's already a number of people who believe the holocaust was a hoax.

There's a difference between that and complaining about why you have to feel bad about something that actually happened because it didn't happen to you.

But yeah. Holocaust deniers are the worst and I'm glad I've never run across them on social media.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

It's at Hollywood Forever, it's not a Jewish mausoleum.

I pointed that out before. But several news stories didn't make that distinction.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I don't know that we have a "actually cool things on Facebook" thread, but in lieu of that, I saw this:

"My father stopped living this morning"? Brusque? Folderol? No one talks like this. Why is he talking like this

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t

into the void posted:

I went with just giving a link to the FBI's statistics on hate crimes. We'll see what they have to say about it.

I just realized I never shared this brilliant piece of logic with y'all a few months ago written by the same person that wrote that racist horseshit. Red is me.

You might see why I'm reluctant to get into a debate with this person again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Macaluso posted:

"My father stopped living this morning"? Brusque? Folderol? No one talks like this. Why is he talking like this

Pretension is now a stage of mourning. Less charitability, they're a loving hipster fucker gently caress.

E: what they wear to the funeral would tell you which it was.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN has a new favorite as of 06:38 on Jan 30, 2014

• Locked thread