Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

the posted:

No way that's TV-14 unless they cut out 20 minutes of it.

I originally tried streaming the episode from Comcast, and before it started, it said something like "This complementary preview has been edited for content. To see the full episode, subscribe to Starz today," despite the fact that I'm already subscribed to Starz. I switched to the Starz web site, but I'm guessing the YouTube one is that same edited version.

I saw the first couple of minutes, and they seemed to be blanking out curse words. Comcast hosts the entirety of Spartacus completely uncensored one or two clicks away, so I have no idea why they edited it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

electricpope
Sep 6, 2006

Anybody can be Pope; the proof of this is that I have become one.

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I originally tried streaming the episode from Comcast, and before it started, it said something like "This complementary preview has been edited for content. To see the full episode, subscribe to Starz today," despite the fact that I'm already subscribed to Starz. I switched to the Starz web site, but I'm guessing the YouTube one is that same edited version.

I saw the first couple of minutes, and they seemed to be blanking out curse words. Comcast hosts the entirety of Spartacus completely uncensored one or two clicks away, so I have no idea why they edited it.

I had the same experience on the Xfinity streaming site, but I figured out how to get the non-censored version. When you go to the series page and select the episode, look over to the right side for a little blue link that says "More online options". It will then show two versions of the Black Sails episode that you can play: The censored one that is rated TV-14, and the uncensored TV-MA one. Not sure why it defaults to the TV-14 one.

The acting was a mixed bag and the involvement of Michael Bay in any form makes me wary, but overall my first impressions were that the series shows some promise. I thought the best written and acted character was Flint, but I was quite underwhelmed by the guy playing Silver.

electricpope fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 29, 2014

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I wish they would try to be at least a little authentic and pay more attention to the time period, the language is too modern, they don't have to go full out with it but they could tone it down a notch. When you have Capt. Vane walking around lighting cigars with a zippo, you know they aren't even going to bother trying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The fact that they talk about sharing medical bills and democracy on a pirate ship makes them about a million times more accurate then most pirate fiction.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Scuzzywuffit posted:

That happened to me, I used the link on the main page and got the edited version. Found out that you have to go to the show page, THEN the first episode to watch the unedited version.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

electricpope posted:

I had the same experience on the Xfinity streaming site, but I figured out how to get the non-censored version. When you go to the series page and select the episode, look over to the right side for a little blue link that says "More online options". It will then show two versions of the Black Sails episode that you can play: The censored one that is rated TV-14, and the uncensored TV-MA one. Not sure why it defaults to the TV-14 one.

electricpope posted:

Alkanos posted:

That happened to me, I used the link on the main page and got the edited version. Found out that you have to go to the show page, THEN the first episode to watch the unedited version.

This is good to know, since I'm pretty sure they're not going to put the rest of the episodes on Starz.com. Thanks!

I wasn't blown away by Silver, but I didn't dislike his performance as much as a lot of people seemed to, either. Which is probably a bad thing since the episode was structured as though he was the main character, but they spent enough time with Flint and Billy that I could look at that as the main plot thread, so I didn't mind.

I actually liked Billy a lot, even though he hasn't done that much. I thought his reaction to Flint's increasing megalomania over the course of the episode was pretty good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

The fact that they talk about sharing medical bills and democracy on a pirate ship makes them about a million times more accurate then most pirate fiction.

I guess my username finally suits a thread for once.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in. Had cool action and boobs and pirates, thats really all I need.

E: I'm actually usually down for a show even if it only has one of those three

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Mad Monk posted:

I wish they would try to be at least a little authentic and pay more attention to the time period, the language is too modern, they don't have to go full out with it but they could tone it down a notch. When you have Capt. Vane walking around lighting cigars with a zippo, you know they aren't even going to bother trying.

I didn't notice that, and didn't really believe you when I read your post. Went back and sure enough...

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

devoir posted:

I didn't notice that, and didn't really believe you when I read your post. Went back and sure enough...

It's a shame since, if wikipedia is to be believed, the first lighters were made by converting pistols and using gun powder. Maybe they thought having a pirate light his cigar with a gun would be too dopey looking?

Either way it doesn't bother me, I didn't even realise lighters weren't around back then.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Spartacus had some pretty crazy poo poo too. The bringer of rain episode with that immortal giant they fight comes to mind. Oh and blind Gannicus winning a fight. Some smart guy made an early Zippo and Vane has it. Whatever.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 31, 2014

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

MrFlibble posted:

Maybe they thought having a pirate light his cigar with a gun would be too dopey looking?

I can't be alone in thinking that would be loving awesome :black101:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Fragmented posted:

Spartacus had some pretty crazy poo poo too. The bringer of rain episode with that immortal giant they fight comes to mind. Oh and blind Gannicus winning a fight. Some smart guy made an early Zippo and Vane has it. Whatever.

Gannicus removing that dude's Jaw in GoTA and Spartacus slicing the face off of SirBigGuy McHuge.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The way that guy's brain just slid out of the front of his skull is pretty much ingrained in my memory foever

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I'll forever wonder what sort of gross popping and sliding sounds that brain made as it fell out.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
i know the second season is generally (and rightfully) maligned compared to the rest, but it had some great moments.

edit: anyone have Spartacus.jpg? The one with Illythia slitting Seppia's throat while she's straddling Glaber?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 31, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

3Romeo posted:

i know the second season is generally (and rightfully) maligned compared to the rest, but it had some great moments.

edit: anyone have Spartacus.jpg? The one with Illythia slitting Seppia's throat while she's straddling Glaber?

Was that the literal bloodbath?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
That's the one.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

3Romeo posted:

That's the one.

Then Illythia and Glaber get it on because hell yeah there's no aphrodisiac more powerful than murder. Especially if the person that got murdered was loving you and the murderer finishes the job :v:

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Jeez Spartacus was insane... I miss it so much :(

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

3Romeo posted:

My favorite Spartacus moment to be honest. I think I enjoyed that season more than most.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I need to rewatch the first season again.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I liked Seppia. :(

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I liked them all to be honest. Also, batshit post-apocalypse Xena was pretty :stare:

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Hot drat. Thanks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

My favorite Spartacus moment to be honest. I think I enjoyed that season more than most.

Gods of the Arena and War of the Damned are generally seen as the best seasons. Personally I think nothing tops the series finale. The massive battle, the emotional turmoil, Crassus final stand and the inevitable bittersweet ending as Spartacus dies. I'll be suprised if we get anything in years on television that tops that. The only thing that even got close in 2013 was the breaking bad finale.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 1, 2014

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Sorry to continue the derail, but what order should I watch Spartacus in? Broadcast?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

devoir posted:

Sorry to continue the derail, but what order should I watch Spartacus in? Broadcast?

Yes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

devoir posted:

Absolutely, Gods of the Arena (the prequel) spoils the ending of Blood and Sand (Season 1) within the first 5 minutes.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Absolutely, Gods of the Arena (the prequel) spoils the ending of Blood and Sand (Season 1) within the first 5 minutes.

This is one of those things that makes it really difficult to convince people to watch the show sometimes, because it's undoubtedly best viewed in broadcast order, but those first couple episodes are rough.

I think Gods of the Arena and War of the Damned are the best seasons for the same reason: neither of them wastes a single minute of screen time. Gods of the Arena had only six episodes to work with, and War of the Damned was the final season even though there was a lot left to cover, and that means that the pacing is incredibly tight and every episode contains what would be about three episodes' worth of plot development on any other show. Despite this, there's only one episode I can remember where things ever felt rushed, and that episode was still drat good.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I enjoyed the pilot episode, and I've been eagerly awaiting tonight's episode. I can definitely see myself enjoying this show if the rest of the show is at least as entertaining as the first episode.

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!

devoir posted:

Yep, the seasons were helpfully arranged in alphabetical order.

Blood and Sand
Gods of the Arena
Vengeance
War of the Damned

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

Bodzilla posted:

Yep, the seasons were helpfully arranged in alphabetical order.

Blood and Sand
Gods of the Arena
Vengeance
War of the Damned

Thanks, appreciate it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I wish more tv-shows would start naming their seasons. :3:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Three words: Jessica Parker Kennedy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Tokubetsu posted:

Three words: Jessica Parker Kennedy

She is a good egg.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah! :pervert:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I don't really care for this map business, I'd rather they just get to the actual robbery. If this was Spartacus then by this point they would've already taken down the first ship and would be dealing with the fleet sent after them.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ram dock in mast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Conquistador posted:

Ram dock in mast

Awesome! :golfclap:

• Locked thread