Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Since Pinball Arcade has the sim side of things covered, I'd like to see more modern video games in the spirit of Pinball Quest or Kirby's Pinball Land. Things that completely embrace the video game side of virtual pinball instead of the half hearted stuff like in the Pinball Fx 2 tables I've played. The only new one that comes to mind was Momonga's Pinball Adventure, which was fun for a little bit, but extremely short and not very deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

ponzicar posted:

Since Pinball Arcade has the sim side of things covered, I'd like to see more modern video games in the spirit of Pinball Quest or Kirby's Pinball Land. Things that completely embrace the video game side of virtual pinball instead of the half hearted stuff like in the Pinball Fx 2 tables I've played. The only new one that comes to mind was Momonga's Pinball Adventure, which was fun for a little bit, but extremely short and not very deep.

Flipnic on PS2 is pretty crazy.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

If Pinball Arcade got and managed to not gently caress up the Pinball Circus I would buy every table immediately. I've been picking and choosing from my favorites on Android and waiting for a Steam sale to have it for PC.

VV Absolutely, and I know for a fact that Tim Arnold would never give up his machine. I worked for his arcade in Michigan years ago after his brother took over most of the business, and he came in a couple times. Nice guy, but really weird. VV

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 29, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Given only two(?) Pinball Circus machines exist and part of their process is buying at least one copy of a table they're recreating, I doubt that is gonna happen.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh yeah I forgot it's 1990 so it's covered in random loving shapes and primary colors.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Discount Viscount posted:

Flipnic on PS2 is pretty crazy.

Someone listed that in the underrated PS2 games thread and I just watched a YouTube video of it. Definitely looks like someone watched the Sesame Street pinball bit and made a video game out of it. Seems to have mixed opinions though because one guy called it one of the worst pinball games ever and several other people said there's too much going on.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

MichiganCubbie posted:

If Pinball Arcade got and managed to not gently caress up the Pinball Circus I would buy every table immediately. I've been picking and choosing from my favorites on Android and waiting for a Steam sale to have it for PC.

I'm holding out for a Steam sale on season 1 myself, but I don't know if it'll ever come, considering it requires Farsight to actually communicate with Valve, and want to discount their tables in the first place.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
It's not new at all but Crüe Ball on the Genesis is some Crazy poo poo. Features music by the guy who made the music for Black Knight 2000.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was all about Alien Crush back in the day.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

I'm holding out for a Steam sale on season 1 myself, but I don't know if it'll ever come, considering it requires Farsight to actually communicate with Valve, and want to discount their tables in the first place.

FS licensing requires them to pay a certain, probably flat, fee for every table they sell at least for the tables with external licensing, like the kickstart tables. That may hinder chances of them being able to deep discount season packs at any point.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I'm just planning on repurchasing seasons 1 and 2 on steam once they finally get the DX11 version up.

That said, I'm pretty happy with the general quality of the season 3 tables on Steam so far.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MichiganCubbie posted:

VV Absolutely, and I know for a fact that Tim Arnold would never give up his machine. I worked for his arcade in Michigan years ago after his brother took over most of the business, and he came in a couple times. Nice guy, but really weird. VV

If you or me or anybody else had that machine, one of the rarest pinball games in existence, do you think they'd just give it up so somebody could make a virtual recreation of it? I mean, you or I might loan it out if a company wanted to recreate it, but you can't expect everybody to be willing to do that.

I could maybe see them borrowing the one from the Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame though for the right price. But in all, it'd probably be expensive and time-consuming as hell to get that table made, and you wouldn't really have a great deal of people who'd appreciate the time and money that would go into getting it made.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nurge posted:

FS licensing requires them to pay a certain, probably flat, fee for every table they sell at least for the tables with external licensing, like the kickstart tables. That may hinder chances of them being able to deep discount season packs at any point.

Zen's done discounts and Humble Bundles before despite most of their tables being licensed and I can't imagine FarSight's terms are much more egregious than theihahahahahhahaha

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
They did Going Nuts, and isn't that one also a super rare unreleased machine?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The Pinball Circus will also likely never come out because WMS won't let them. Despite the fact that they're not in pinball anymore, they're still fiercely protective of the properties and wouldn't allow an unreleased (or modified) game out. Whoever owns the rights to Gottlieb/Premier probably doesn't care.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Clouseau posted:

The Pinball Circus will also likely never come out because WMS won't let them. Despite the fact that they're not in pinball anymore, they're still fiercely protective of the properties and wouldn't allow an unreleased (or modified) game out. Whoever owns the rights to Gottlieb/Premier probably doesn't care.

Mondial Group was the one in control of the Gottlieb properties the last time I looked. To some degree I do know they cover the IP since they don't allow people to just sell copies of their manuals. Though I doubt the tables and such command a big part of their portfolio.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
maybe its because zen's tables are not really real?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

King Vidiot posted:

If you or me or anybody else had that machine, one of the rarest pinball games in existence, do you think they'd just give it up so somebody could make a virtual recreation of it? I mean, you or I might loan it out if a company wanted to recreate it, but you can't expect everybody to be willing to do that.

I could maybe see them borrowing the one from the Vegas Pinball Hall of Fame though for the right price. But in all, it'd probably be expensive and time-consuming as hell to get that table made, and you wouldn't really have a great deal of people who'd appreciate the time and money that would go into getting it made.

The Pinball Hall of Fame one was actually the one I was talking about. I completely agree, though. Just a pipe dream.

It would be awesome though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Took the #1 spot for my friends list on Return of the Jedi, and I'm still really let down by that table. The table designer said on the official forums that he didn't want players to have the kickbacks on all the time, but it's this weird thing where lighting the kickbacks is difficult since there's only one inlane with no ramps feeding to it. Then, when you turn it on, it doesn't even always save the drat ball. It makes everything feel really random, especially with the slings that launch the ball with way more force than normal.

I wouldn't mind that much if the rest of the table wasn't a lot of fun. The hurry-ups have a pretty good variety, the multiballs are fun, and I really like the missions. The multipliers for ball-outages are pretty easy to raise (not X-Men easy, but easy), and the vari-target is weirdly satisfying to hit. It just feels too easy to get screwed on it.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Niwrad posted:

Pinball Circus looks like a table I'd be enamored with for a few games and then realize it's really boring.

It is. I played it at the PHoF and it's pretty to look at and you will definitely get suckered in for one game, but it is repetitive to the point of tedium.

Quick question for anyone who has bought or sold pinballs lately, where do you recommend to sell them? I am thinking about parting with mine (Baywatch, Black Rose, ST:tNG, and T2), but don't want to get flooded with people offering too little or people offering to pay with Nigerian bank orders.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Bob Loblaw posted:

Quick question for anyone who has bought or sold pinballs lately, where do you recommend to sell them? I am thinking about parting with mine (Baywatch, Black Rose, ST:tNG, and T2), but don't want to get flooded with people offering too little or people offering to pay with Nigerian bank orders.

Pinside.com seems like a decent place. I lucked into my last sale by being friends on facebook with a local operator who paid me my asking price without any stress or worry.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Bob Loblaw posted:

Where do you live?

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

cosmicjim posted:

Where do you live?

Atlanta area.

And thanks above for the Pinside tip.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Bob Loblaw posted:

Atlanta area.

And thanks above for the Pinside tip.

I'm in Alabama, I could consider making a trip depending on prices. Those are tables I'm interested in.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
If you want to get the most for your table, Ebay prices are usually the highest, but you probably have to wait to get someone to buy it. Pinside or Mrpinball prices are next highest, and get to the serious collectors, depending on condition, ability to post pictures, etc. The arcademuseum.com forums may get you a fair deal, but you have to pay $2 to register. Rec.games.pinball tends to have a lot of people who will laugh at you for asking a reasonable price. Do you know current book prices for your machines? I'm happy to provide them if you don't have a price guide.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So the latest Zaccaria update dropped the other night with some new table. Better get it while you can -- a big revenue stream for ASK is their Silver Membership which promises all future tables for the app, something Farsight said Apple is now banning and forced them to remo

Oh look, it seems someone is full of poo poo.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Domus posted:

If you want to get the most for your table, Ebay prices are usually the highest, but you probably have to wait to get someone to buy it. Pinside or Mrpinball prices are next highest, and get to the serious collectors, depending on condition, ability to post pictures, etc. The arcademuseum.com forums may get you a fair deal, but you have to pay $2 to register. Rec.games.pinball tends to have a lot of people who will laugh at you for asking a reasonable price. Do you know current book prices for your machines? I'm happy to provide them if you don't have a price guide.

This is pretty good info, just remember to account for final sale fees and paypal fees(if you accept it)for ebay sales.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

I'm in Alabama, I could consider making a trip depending on prices. Those are tables I'm interested in.

Let me double check with the wife and I will let you know. I have been looking to sell them as they don't get used much anymore, but she is funny about letting things go. I got your PM and will let you know as soon as I hear from her.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Eegah posted:

So the latest Zaccaria update dropped the other night with some new table. Better get it while you can -- a big revenue stream for ASK is their Silver Membership which promises all future tables for the app, something Farsight said Apple is now banning and forced them to remo

How does Zaccaria compare to the other pinball apps? I'd like to have an alternative to :farsight: but I just can't get into Zen Pinball, the physics seem off and the controls aren't customizable enough.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Werthog 95 posted:

How does Zaccaria compare to the other pinball apps? I'd like to have an alternative to :farsight: but I just can't get into Zen Pinball, the physics seem off and the controls aren't customizable enough.

The lighting and graphics in general are great (you have a lights on and off option!), and the physics are kinda wonky but completely customizable. The real question is if you dig Zac tables, which are pretty much all early solid states with a lot of funky art and some neat gimmicks. I believe the app is a free download and it should have Time Machine in it for free which is one of their better tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

I hate to be trying to defend farsight again, but there's probably a distinct legal difference between "You'll get every table we'll release in the future." and "You'll get 10 tables for this season pack." The latter means that if farsight caves tomorrow and never releases anything again Apple is probably at least partially liable for the promised tables not delivered. Zaccaria doesn't actually promise a set number of tables for the silver membership.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Nurge posted:

I hate to be trying to defend farsight again, but there's probably a distinct legal difference between "You'll get every table we'll release in the future." and "You'll get 10 tables for this season pack." The latter means that if farsight caves tomorrow and never releases anything again Apple is probably at least partially liable for the promised tables not delivered. Zaccaria doesn't actually promise a set number of tables for the silver membership.

Also Apple isn't exactly consistent with the policies they enforce.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nurge posted:

"Silver Membership will offer 27 pinball tables" is identical language in my book. But yeah, Apple.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Nurge posted:

You'd think that. But I'd subscribed to a magazine, and they folded a couple months after I paid for a year subscription. Apple didn't do poo poo about it. I don't see why this would be different.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You guys are aware of this, right? Apple probably is getting stricter about in-app purchases even if Zaccaria got through this time.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/15/apple-settles-app-store-in-app-purchase-lawsuit-with-us-government

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Farsight just posted that the next table is Black Knight 2000. Hell yes.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Werthog 95 posted:

I really like the Zaccaria app, it was a bit wonky at first but they've been constantly improving it with new features and better physics, and you can customize the physics if there are things you don't like.

I feel like the "simulation" physics in Zaccaria are more "real" than Pinball Arcade, in that you can tell these were games made to get your money. Some of the tables are very difficult and it seems to move at a faster pace, not uncommon for me to finish a game in a couple minutes whereas sometimes in PA I have to force myself to lose.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Any recommendations for Android Pinball? Zen pinball seems decent but I don't want to buy a bunch of tables if there's better offerings available.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

elf help book posted:

You guys are aware of this, right? Apple probably is getting stricter about in-app purchases even if Zaccaria got through this time.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/01/15/apple-settles-app-store-in-app-purchase-lawsuit-with-us-government

An app-store-wide policy change like this would probably at least get some press in the rags but I don't see anything on AppleInsider (and God do they post a lot), Ars or the various iOS gaming sites. I remember there being a flurry of uproar when they blocked Kindle et al from allowing purchases outside the App Store within their own apps, for instance. There should also be a Terms of Service Agreement change for developers pushed out as well but again nothing that I'm aware of.

There's other apps beyond pinball that do prepayments for unreleased content. Telltale apps and the NYT Crossword app come to mind, Zinio's app store page lists a Maxim subscription among their top IAPs. Hell Apple still has their own Newsstand pseudo-app whose entire MO is subscriptions to future magazine or newspaper content.

Put it all together and either Farsight seems to be rather singularly singled out for an undisclosed policy change, they hosed up in some other undisclosed manner... or Apple's Russian-Roulette-style of how they enforce their policies just fell on TPA this month :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you like disco, LSD, and programmable sound generators, you'll love Zaccaria pinball.