Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I know he smashes his face in I just thought they might have changed it since its pretty graphic even by GoT standards. All the scratches on his abdomen made me think they were the cuts Oberyn got in as the Mountain deflected them. In the book Oberyn goes for the hinges in his armor I just thought they might have changed the fight up a little bit but didn't catch him in armor before.

Before the Red Viper fight I don't really remember what the Mountain does outside of rape and pillage until the face smashing, Qyburn, constant screams and an oddly silent Kingsguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
He cuts a horse in two and almost kills Loras. And he was at Harrenhal, doing mountainly things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gregor doesn't appear on-page all that frequently, most of the time it's just other characters talking about his deeds. The trailers showed him wearing some armor during the Oberyn fight and I doubt they'd have him strip out of it in the middle of the fight.

They probably add a few extra scenes to get the viewers on the same page regarding what kind of a monster Gregor is supposed to be, there are rumors that we will be shown the scene involving the inn keeper's daughter rape, so it might be related to that or otherwise a new scene altogether.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

escape artist posted:

He doesn't kill the Red Viper with a sword anyway.
That's not a sword. That's the zipline he uses to save Tyrion from the tower.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

DeepQantas posted:

That's not a sword. That's the zipline he uses to save Tyrion from the tower.

That made me laugh very hard. Thank you.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

I think those are blood spatters, not scratches. And since he hasn't been around much recently they very well could add a scene or two to remind the audience just why he's so terrible.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
He's probably going to kill another horse. Animal cruelty pisses viewers off like nothing else.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

In the trailer they show some dude in King's Landing cowering on the ground right before they cut to that scene. Could be misleading editing but I'm guessing they have him gently caress someone up early in the season just to remind people who he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZY43QSx3Fk&t=83s

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Gregor doesn't appear on-page all that frequently, most of the time it's just other characters talking about his deeds. The trailers showed him wearing some armor during the Oberyn fight and I doubt they'd have him strip out of it in the middle of the fight.

They probably add a few extra scenes to get the viewers on the same page regarding what kind of a monster Gregor is supposed to be, there are rumors that we will be shown the scene involving the inn keeper's daughter rape, so it might be related to that or otherwise a new scene altogether.

That would make sense, the scene right before the shot I posted is a guy on his knees who appears to be begging for his life.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Indeed, the casting of an "inn-keepers daughter" suggests they're going to show that directly, which should make him pretty damned hated. Plus I imagine we'll get an expositostory from Sandor while he wanders with Arya.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They've got stock footage from season one they can flash through, plus a few characters "the mountain is doing stuff OMG!!!"

Rosscifer
Aug 3, 2005

Patience

escape artist posted:

He cuts a horse in two and almost kills Loras. And he was at Harrenhal, doing mountainly things.

No amount of "last time of Game of Thrones!" is going to make any unsullied connect Mr. Buff Rockpecks with skinny Lebanese guy.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Rosscifer posted:

No amount of "last time of Game of Thrones!" is going to make any unsullied connect Mr. Buff Rockpecks with skinny Lebanese guy.

Again, like with Dario, just show new guy cutting a horse in half in the Previously on. All you need.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
I don't think they even need to change anything. The horse decapitation scene was pretty memorable and that Gregor looks pretty close to new Gregor(minus 20 years). Tall, skinny Gregor had like one line in Harrenhal. I don't even know if anyone realized who that was.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
There are set photos of him "lifting" (he's on a rig) some cowering guy and then of him swinging his sword, I'm sure they added in a scene just to show off how much of a terror he is since he hasn't had one since the horse killing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

GonSmithe posted:

(he's on a rig)

I don't remember the Mountain and the Queen of Thorns having sex in the books? :rimshot:

There's some thing coming on February 8th on HBO. It looks like it's going to be as a primer for the new season. It might cover the casting changes, to help out some people. The Daario recasting would've confused the hell out of me, if I hadn't read 100 articles/comments about it.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I think they did really well with season one's Mountain, because I expected all the show-only people I know to forget who he was, but if you say 'dude who chopped a horse in half' everyone's instantly like 'oh right, that guy.'

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I really wish they could have kept that guy. Even if it meant writing some new Mountain material and/or moving his plot around to keep him where the action is.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I can't wait to see the Mountain v. Oberyn scene. It was so well-done in the books. Specifically, I thought it was obvious the Mountain would win, because Tyrion isn't going to escape false accusation invoking trial by combat twice-- that's just a boring story, but the way it was written, they managed to convince me that Oberyn had a chance, and then he inflicts a mortal wound on the Mountain. I just hope they can preserve that element in the show.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

That's really not what that ending would be. The R = PTWP ending is "everyone is hosed because our political leaders were too petty and shortsighted to deal with a larger problem." Which you may recognize from our exact loving situation right now. Depending on where exactly you live, it works on multiple levels.

George has gone on record to say that he finds it really important to not pull a "Lost" on his fans with Game of Thrones. Have no doubt the ending is going to be dark, but you don't write a book named "A dream of spring" and the original name being "A Time For Wolves" and give it the grimdark treatment.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 31, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GonSmithe posted:

There are set photos of him "lifting" (he's on a rig) some cowering guy and then of him swinging his sword, I'm sure they added in a scene just to show off how much of a terror he is since he hasn't had one since the horse killing.

Given the lack of armour, I wouldn't be surprised if he's killing a sparring partner because he doesn't know when or how to stop.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Or he's murdering his squire for improperly selecting his post-workout wine. It's Greg Clegane, he'll kill anyone, anytime, anywhere. No reason necessary.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
There are going to be a million casual viewers confusing Shae and Ellaria Sand

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

escape artist posted:

I can't wait to see the Mountain v. Oberyn scene. It was so well-done in the books. Specifically, I thought it was obvious the Mountain would win, because Tyrion isn't going to escape false accusation invoking trial by combat twice-- that's just a boring story, but the way it was written, they managed to convince me that Oberyn had a chance, and then he inflicts a mortal wound on the Mountain. I just hope they can preserve that element in the show.

I remember everything about reading that scene. Where I was, what time it was, what I was drinking...everything. And I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I literally had to step away and tell myself to slow down so I wasn't tempted to skip to the end of the chapter to find out who wins. I really had no idea who would win because GRRM had done such a good job of impressing upon me that just about anything could happen.

I imagine a lot of people felt that same excitement and surprise reading the Red Wedding, and while I wasn't exactly spoiled on it, somebody said "something HUGE happens halfway through book 3!!!" and my overthinking and over-conjecturing sort of ruined it and softened the blow a bit.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

timp posted:

I remember everything about reading that scene. Where I was, what time it was, what I was drinking...everything. And I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I literally had to step away and tell myself to slow down so I wasn't tempted to skip to the end of the chapter to find out who wins. I really had no idea who would win because GRRM had done such a good job of impressing upon me that just about anything could happen.

I imagine a lot of people felt that same excitement and surprise reading the Red Wedding, and while I wasn't exactly spoiled on it, somebody said "something HUGE happens halfway through book 3!!!" and my overthinking and over-conjecturing sort of ruined it and softened the blow a bit.

I feel that way about the Red Wedding. I was on a train heading home from work. I put it down and a woman next to me asked what book I was reading, and would it be OK for her and her daughter.

I said yes.

I remember I wanted my friend to tell me when he had gotten to the red wedding, but I didn't want to let him know something big happens, so I told him to let me know what he thinks of the wedding, because there's a small background event that I think is important to the larger plot of the series. I think that was the best way to handle it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

timp posted:

The red wedding in the books was spolied to me by the show (I only read the books later). But then, the red wedding in the show was spoiled to me on this forums, on that custom avatar prank. So I never really felt the impact of it.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
I'm kind of pissed they show Tyrion imprisoned in the previews. I hope all those scenes they show occur before the trial by combat, otherwise viewers are going to be pretty conscious of the fact that Oberyn loses.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Elias_Maluco posted:

The red wedding in the books was spolied to me by the show (I only read the books later). But then, the red wedding in the show was spoiled to me on this forums, on that custom avatar prank. So I never really felt the impact of it.

Yeah, I had that poo poo happen to me, not 30 minutes before the episode aired on the Sunday night. Some oval office kept PMing more and more spoilers (Tywin and Shae's deaths, for one) after that, too. So I knew Tyrion was going to somehow survive even if he was condemned to die.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

escape artist posted:

Yeah, I had that poo poo happen to me, not 30 minutes before the episode aired on the Sunday night. Some oval office kept PMing more and more spoilers (Tywin and Shae's deaths, for one) after that, too. So I knew Tyrion was going to somehow survive even if he was condemned to die.

That's when I said "well, gently caress it then, Im going to read the drat books". I just got tired of having to worry about spoilers.

Even before that, I had Zombie-Cat spoiled to me when I had the amazing idea of googling "brotherhood without banners".

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The chapters leading up to and including Joffrey's death are the most well-written chapters in GoT, so y'all did yourselves a favor by picking up the books before the show ruined it for you.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Joff's death was such a fantastic 'you've given me exactly what I wanted, but now I don't want it anymore!' moment. You spend so long wishing for a kid to die, and then the kid dies and you're thinking 'poo poo, I'm an rear end in a top hat for wanting this.'

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Lovechop posted:

Joff's death was such a fantastic 'you've given me exactly what I wanted, but now I don't want it anymore!' moment. You spend so long wishing for a kid to die, and then the kid dies and you're thinking 'poo poo, I'm an rear end in a top hat for wanting this.'

I was actually pretty happy with his death, stupid arrogant prick, he was really pushing it.

I hated everything he did to Tyrion in the wedding, I wanted to kill him myself.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

colonel_korn posted:

Huh, good catch. That does look like Needle, so either Sandor is hiding a mortal injury incredibly well, or the chronology of events is getting shaken up a bit.

They did say the television show would divert from the books in some places, didn't they?

If one of those divergences is that Sandor Clegane doesn't die for a while longer, I'd actually not mind.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

James R posted:

They did say the television show would divert from the books in some places, didn't they?

If one of those divergences is that Sandor Clegane doesn't die for a while longer, I'd actually not mind.

This sentence makes no sense to me because Sandor Clegane doesn't die at all :colbert:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Lovechop posted:

I couldn't go to sleep for hours, laughing about his last words of wanting to see Tyrion ride the pig.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I was actually pretty happy with his death, stupid arrogant prick, he was really pushing it.

I hated everything he did to Tyrion in the wedding, I wanted to kill him myself.

Yes the events were so great they decided to keep revisiting it during the last book!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Lovechop posted:

Your reaction is incorrect.

I think the turnaround George did was giving us what we wanted and then immediately throwing Tyrion under the bus at the end of the chapter. We are supposed to feel nothing but glee about Joffrey.

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard
Nov 24, 2006
man why you even got to do a thing?
I had a friend spoil the Red Wedding for me back in 2012, among a few other things that I had forgotten, but he also counter-spoiled Joffrey's demise which made it so much crazier for me. He told me that Joffrey ends up losing an eye (this is actually foreshadowed in the book so I thought it was true) and goes on to be a better leader in battle than Robb. I ended up having to read the end of that chapter four or five times because I couldn't believe what I had just read, it was awesome.

Also, I found out that one of my neighbors is a completely unspoiled TV only person. I can't wait to watch the show with him once it starts back up.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
sandor is alive at the end of the most recent book, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

rypakal posted:

Your reaction is incorrect.

I think the turnaround George did was giving us what we wanted and then immediately throwing Tyrion under the bus at the end of the chapter. We are supposed to feel nothing but glee about Joffrey.

I disagree completely. Tyrion sees the fear in his eyes before he dies. I think we're supposed to feel that death is horrifying for any person, for every family, even for that useless violent little poo poo and his horrible power-hungry mother. It would have been super easy for the book to tonally make him being purple-faced into humor, but instead he claws at his own throat and Cersei cries over his corpse. It's ghoulish and grim and we get lots of detail about the agony Joff goes through before he dies. He could have just dropped dead; going through the agony of death (and Cersei's agony) makes a pretty clear point, for me.

It's a lot like when you say "gently caress that traitorous little poo poo Theon, he deserves whatever he gets" and then he gets made into Reek.

• Locked thread