Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
My biggest complaint about FFTA so far is actually the terrible, terrible user interface. Three button presses to see which skills you're learning at the moment. Infinite more to compare item stats, not while you're equipping them, of course. I realize the GBA screen is kinda cramped but holy poo poo, I want to play FFTA2 afterwards and am so looking forward to having double screen action which hopefully fixes these issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

I preferred TA2 myself since it made the law system into a reward system rather than a punishment one

I dunno, at least TA1 didn't punish you for such awful offenses as "getting a critical hit when we say one thing but really mean the exact opposite." I'd rather have laws that were annoying but understandable to half the poo poo TA2 makes you divine by pure chance and getting your "reward" revoked for things you cannot control.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tactics Advance had invincible bunny assassins, FFTA2 made them no longer as good. I know which one i consider the best.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mazed posted:

Oh, you mean

this wonderful creation. :getin:

Well, at least it's not a belt dress? :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Are we still doing shortened stories?

Final Fantasy Tactics - The Lannisters and the Starks are at war, some prince and his peasant friend fail to stop some political turmoil, and then his friend kidnaps a princess, but then they change their minds and kill the dudes he was working for. They kill one king and implicate another, the peasant marries the girl they kidnapped and becomes the king. Except she hates him and they pull a last minute reverse Romeo & Juliet and stab each other to death. Also the pope is Satan. The peasant gets all the credit and the prince is a heretic.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Some stupid kids read a book and talk about videogames.

:cheeky:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mazed posted:

Oh, you mean

this wonderful creation. :getin:

Oh my.

That is something, alright. :stare:

Quickly looking up a synopsis of that game; why has nobody ever said that the coolest motherfucker from XII was in that game? :colbert:

Bizarrely, the only FF character with chest hair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

He's hornless, so it cancels out.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

fronz posted:

He's hornless, so it cancels out.

What about Esper Terra?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Touché :golfclap:

Aurain posted:

What about Esper Terra?

Fine, the only regular human male character with chest hair then. Who is not tranced monkey Kuja and Zidane, either.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are we still doing summaries of the games?

Final Fantasy: The worst game in the series.
FF2: The worst game in the series
FF3: The worst game in the series
FF4-6: The worst games in the series
FF7-9: The worst games in the series
FF10: The worst game in the series
FF11: The worst MMO and game in the series
FF12: The worst game in the series
FF13: The worst game in the series, holy poo poo.
FF14: The worst MMO and game in the series
What we know of FF15: It's going to be the worst game in the series.

Sometimes it's like you people forget the thread title.

EDIT: NOW, if we're talking spin offs and games unrelated to the main series, then that's a different story. FF:D is the culmination of everything that the "old" games were, basically, in that all the characters except like, three, are idiots and the plot is save the world because.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 31, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh my.

Quickly looking up a synopsis of that game; why has nobody ever said that the coolest motherfucker from XII was in that game? :colbert:

Al-Cid's pretty cool. He owns the world's only pair of sunglasses and has an assistant following him around just to ensure their safety.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

That's chestfur.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chumbler posted:

Edit: Okay challenge mode in this summarizing game is Dissidia and Duodecim.

I kinda wanna see someone try to do Xenogears. It was going to be Final Fantasy at one time. (flimsy justification but hell, I relly wanna read this)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I kinda wanna see someone try to do Xenogears. It was going to be Final Fantasy at one time. (flimsy justification but hell, I relly wanna read this)

Guy with mommy issues narrates to you from a chair how he reincarnates a bunch of times, punches Space!God, and forcefeeds illegal drugs to an endangered animal to use as an anti-giant robot secret weapon.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

A little kid gets lost on a spaceship and finds himself in front of God. God proceeds to make the universe bend over backwards so he can hook up with the captain's daughter.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Xenogears:REL 110: Gnosticism For Animes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

You are a guy who is the reincarnation of your arch rival and he is also your dad which means you are your dad and your mom used to be the big bad guy who was reincarnated and is also the other half of the girl you're doing the nasty with so you are doing the nasty with your kind of mother but it's ok because you are your dad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Simply Simon posted:

So far, I'm 25 hours in, have 85 missions done and am pretty happy with the game. Got a dualcasting summoner, a fresh assassin (apparently broken?) and I think Illusionists are ridiculous. Also: Mog Knight who knows Ultima Charge but doesn't have the MP for it, so he's destroying poo poo as Juggler.
Yeah, Assassin is outright THE best class in the game. It has Instant Death magic with a ~90% hit rate. For everything immune to instant death, it has Petrification magic with a ~90% hit rate. And for everything that's immune to both of those, it has twoswords and the highest base Movement in the game.

Oh and it has insane stat growth rates (and you can, in fact, recruit one randomly at starter levels if you do the clan rejection trick at the beginning of the game, meaning you can start gaining those ridiculous stats from Lv2) and its only real weakness is MP, which has such great growth anyway that you'll have enough MP to cast the insta-kill spells three times in a single battle by the time you reach the point in the game that you're at now.

Aurain posted:

You are a guy who is the reincarnation of your arch rival and he is also your dad which means you are your dad and your mom used to be the big bad guy who was reincarnated and is also the other half of the girl you're doing the nasty with so you are doing the nasty with your kind of mother but it's ok because you are your dad.
"You're a kung fu man who can punch giant robots twenty times his size to death. You use this power to kill god, who is, incidentally, a giant robot twenty times your size."

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 31, 2014

deadicons
Sep 9, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

"You're a kung fu man who can punch giant robots twenty times his size to death. You use this power to kill god, who is, incidentally, a giant robot twenty times your size."

You also travel around with the universes biggest dick.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Oh my.

I know everybody fawns over Balthier in XII but Al-Cid was the dreamiest and I'll fight anybody who says otherwise.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Aurain posted:

I actually looked up a synopsis of Xenogears and holy loving poo poo this is 100% accurate

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Concurred posted:

I actually looked up a synopsis of Xenogears and holy loving poo poo this is 100% accurate

Now do Xenosaga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Now do Xenosaga.

Turns out Jesus was kind of an rear end in a top hat and Mary Magdeline was a pair of psuedolesbian robots.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Mary Magdeline was a pair of psuedolesbian robots.

Mary Magdeline...is Snow's bike? :crossarms:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Can anyone re upload this? I'm getting a bandwidth exceeded image.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Mary Magdeline...is Snow's bike? :crossarms:

Yes, you see, if you read the datalog and this one obscure bit of Japanese-only text you'd see that the letters written on the motorcycle translate to "BLASPHEMOUS BIBLICAL ERRATA LESBIANS ARE SWEET." It's a sign of Etro's glory.

:goonsay:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I tried Dissidia on a whim, and I didn't expect it to be really good. For a while, I had no real idea what I was doing and was just mashing square to win. But now I'm fighting a level 15 Sephiroth as Cecil, and I'm getting my rear end kicked. Because of that, I'm actually learning about how the game works, and it's surprisingly solid. It feels like I am the Dragon Ball Z!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Turns out Jesus was kind of an rear end in a top hat and Mary Magdeline was a pair of psuedolesbian robots.

How does one 'psuedolesbian'?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, you see, if you read the datalog and this one obscure bit of Japanese-only text you'd see that the letters written on the motorcycle translate to "BLASPHEMOUS BIBLICAL ERRATA LESBIANS ARE SWEET." It's a sign of Etro's glory.

:goonsay:

Haha! :mmmhmm:

Sefal posted:

Can anyone re upload this? I'm getting a bandwidth exceeded image.

Here we go.

ffxiii-2nutshell.gif.

Butt Ghost posted:

I tried Dissidia on a whim, and I didn't expect it to be really good.

It's surprisingly decent, story aside. Are you playing the original, or Duodecim? Duodecim has a few more characters, AND the original game in one package.

Also go team Chaos! :black101:

By Lespretending.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 31, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lovely anime cheesecake, basically.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Xeno-Jesus was awesome. (do you actually mean Jesus or Yeshua/chaos? Both are kinda chill though)

I guess if I had to summarize Xenosaga it be that:
Fembot is gonna save the universe because the universe is being overrun by Space Ghosts but also God is there loving up poo poo by accident because he doesn't realize how frail everyone else is and that they lose their minds from merely having a chat with him. Also rape imagery that makes Alien look subtle.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's surprisingly decent, story aside. Are you playing the original, or Duodecim? Duodecim has a few more characters, AND the original game in one package.
Oh, um, I bought both of them, and I was playing the first one... oops...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

The second one is technically a prequel and once you finish the prequel you get to go on to the first game. It's not a huge loss if you do Dissidia first, you won't have to replay it. You just coulda saved $10.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Beaten.

Butt Ghost posted:

Ah, it's no problem. Anyway, your save data will carry over from Dissidia to Duodecim, with all the character levels and abilities and such.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Haha, Terra's morph portrait in FF6 mobile looks like Lady Gaga on the Born this Way single cover art.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

1st AD posted:

Haha, Terra's morph portrait in FF6 mobile looks like Lady Gaga on the Born this Way single cover art.

How... oddly appropriate.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here we go.

ffxiii-2nutshell.gif.

Yes! Thank you. it's glorious.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

1st AD posted:

Lady Gaga confirmed for being half-Esper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lady Gaga being a Final Fantasy summon makes so much sense.