Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rick and Morty cameo on Community tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Wait what? Where? Was it a poster or was it like that time Harmon put Beetlejuice in the background?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard a nasty rumor that there's no new episode this week. Someone tell me that's a lie.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

zoux posted:

I heard a nasty rumor that there's no new episode this week. Someone tell me that's a lie.

I set up my DVR to record this tonight and it had nothing new for two weeks :(

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

So, I've never watched Community or anything but I've heard a lot of people like this show and how dark and hosed up is supposedly is, so I checked out the one on the adult swim site. I was not disappointed. It gave me a real Morel Orel vibe like someone else in this thread said. I don't know how I feel about the rest of the show but pretty much any time Rick and Morty were interacting was loving hilarious. I'll definitely check a few more episodes out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

robot roll call posted:

So, I've never watched Community or anything but I've heard a lot of people like this show and how dark and hosed up is supposedly is, so I checked out the one on the adult swim site. I was not disappointed. It gave me a real Morel Orel vibe like someone else in this thread said. I don't know how I feel about the rest of the show but pretty much any time Rick and Morty were interacting was loving hilarious. I'll definitely check a few more episodes out.

Watch Community. It's more upbeat but it's good. It's a little slower getting out the gate before you get what it's going for

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Morel Orel creator Dino Stamatopoulos is a good friend of Dan Harmon's and is a producer/writer/recurring actor on Community, so Rick and Morty having a similar feel isn't too crazy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

Morel Orel creator Dino Stamatopoulos is a good friend of Dan Harmon's and is a producer/writer/recurring actor on Community, so Rick and Morty having a similar feel isn't too crazy.

Rick and Morty is produced by Starburns industries, which i assume is somehow connected to Dino.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Sockser posted:

I set up my DVR to record this tonight and it had nothing new for two weeks :(

I suspected this might be the case when there was no new preview after the last episode. I don't understand what sort of quirk of television programming is causing these multi-week gaps in new episodes. This isn't like South Park where the episodes are being produced one-at-a-time just before airing, they've got several if not the entire season lined up already. They're still airing the show in the same timeslot, so it isn't like they need that airtime to show something else, and it's already been renewed for a second season, so they aren't trying to gauge interest. Am I missing something?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Fooz posted:

I think you guys are thinking about it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Funkmaster General posted:

I suspected this might be the case when there was no new preview after the last episode. I don't understand what sort of quirk of television programming is causing these multi-week gaps in new episodes. This isn't like South Park where the episodes are being produced one-at-a-time just before airing, they've got several if not the entire season lined up already. They're still airing the show in the same timeslot, so it isn't like they need that airtime to show something else, and it's already been renewed for a second season, so they aren't trying to gauge interest. Am I missing something?

Sports, you're missing the super bowl and the olympics. Adult Swim lives and dies on dudes under 35, anything that messes up that demographics' watching habits best be scheduled around like the plague.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Rick and Morty is produced by Starburns industries, which i assume is somehow connected to Dino.

If I'm remembering right, Starburns Industries was co-founded by Dino and Dan in order to employ a bunch of former Moral Orel people in the making of the stop-motion Christmas episode of Community.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The pilot of this was pretty lovely but it really picked up with the second episode. Glad I stuck with it.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Each episode is slightly more hosed up than the last, but is no less funny, maybe even moreso.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I was rewatching M Night Shamaliens and I realized you can pinpoint the moment Rick sees through the last level of simulation; he misses that Morty's CPU cores don't disintegrate but when he sees Jerry goes ''What are you doing here?! And why are you dressed as a waiter?'' Jerry can't have changed clothes within the simulation.

The ending to ''Rick Potion #9'' was absolutely pitch perfect. I've rewatched it several times and the ending of a 14 year old coming to terms with his own death, losing everyone he's ever cared about and being a complete imposter to the copies around him, staring in mute nearly unblinking horror. A masterpiece.

edit: you also notice Rick is constantly being a dick for no reason. In the beginning he goes for a soda, shakes it up and puts it back, and goes for something orange.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Just whipped this up

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

The pilot of this was pretty lovely but it really picked up with the second episode. Glad I stuck with it.

lovely?

I thought the pilot was much better than the other episodes. It just struck me as hilarious that the biggest joke in the pilot episode was that Rick was being abusive to Morty. To me, that theme seemed a lot darker and funnier than anything coming after it. Shame that they seemed to have kinda dropped it.

The funniest bits were when Rick was coercing Morty into something he didn't want to do. Rick in the first episode was a lot more forceful with Morty than in the ones since.

"The outside world is our enemy, Morty. We're the only friends we have."

chaosbreather posted:

Just whipped this up

I guess I don't really see that as a problem.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009
Did anyone else notice that the ending of this last episode was pretty similar conceptually to the ending of the first Back to the Future? Marty McFly's basically living out the rest of his life in an alternate universe created by his changes to the past. The only difference is this reality--rather than being perfectly identical to the original one in every way--is actually populated by happier, more successful versions of his loved ones who have lived completely different lives than the people Marty grew up with, which in a way is even creepier.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Billy Idle posted:

Did anyone else notice that the ending of this last episode was pretty similar conceptually to the ending of the first Back to the Future? Marty McFly's basically living out the rest of his life in an alternate universe created by his changes to the past. The only difference is this reality--rather than being perfectly identical to the original one in every way--is actually populated by happier, more successful versions of his loved ones who have lived completely different lives than the people Marty grew up with, which in a way is even creepier.

Is it? The only difference between the two dimensions is that Rick and Morty actually figured out how to solve the problem, with everything else prior to that point being exactly identical.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

HorseRenoir posted:

Is it? The only difference between the two dimensions is that Rick and Morty actually figured out how to solve the problem, with everything else prior to that point being exactly identical.

I was referring to the Back to the Future ending with that last part as well.

Smug Mug
Jul 21, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

Well Rick did say he "just happened to find" a dimension where they fixed the damage that was done. Could be other differences.

I don't think it's going to be a major plot point. I think morty was just bummed because he's a 14 year old that just had to bury his own corpse.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Smug Mug posted:

Well Rick did say he "just happened to find" a dimension where they fixed the damage that was done. Could be other differences.

I don't think it's going to be a major plot point. I think morty was just bummed because he's a 14 year old that just had to bury his own corpse.

There's a reason he goes all bug eyed at his parents and sister particularly; he realizes these people are essentially strangers; he's meeting his loved ones for the first time as an imposter, and the person who they loved he just buried.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

And it's like if the Star Trek Transporter is just chopping you up into little pieces and reassembling you at the end is it really you?

poo poo's heavy man

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Billy Idle posted:

Not really similar because of reasons you mention in your post.

Doesn't the fact that the alternate reality in Rick and Morty is identical and Morty being traumatized make the concepts completely different?

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Not really similar because of reasons you mention in your post.

Doesn't the fact that the alternate reality in Rick and Morty is identical and Morty being traumatized make the concepts completely different?

Both scenarios involve someone having to live out the rest of their lives in a universe populated by loved ones who metaphysically are not the same people they've always known. You don't see any similarities?

And that last part doesn't even make sense as an objection. "This show obviously isn't a spoof on Back to the Future because Marty was never traumatized on an existential level by all the weird poo poo Doc Brown put him through." I'm saying it almost struck me as a commentary on the common observation that Marty from Back to the Future should have been weirded out by the situation.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Billy Idle posted:

Both scenarios involve someone having to live out the rest of their lives in a universe populated by loved ones who metaphysically are not the same people they've always known. You don't see any similarities?

And that last part doesn't even make sense as an objection. "This show obviously isn't a spoof on Back to the Future because Marty was never traumatized on an existential level by all the weird poo poo Doc Brown put him through." I'm saying it almost struck me as a commentary on the common observation that Marty from Back to the Future should have been weirded out by the situation.

Okay fair enough on that last bit, but for the record, I didn't say:

"This show obviously isn't a spoof on Back to the Future ..."

It just seems like the similarities in that particular episode begin and end at "Morty/Marty's in an alternate universe now." If Rick and Morty had went back in time and fixed their mistake and somehow returned to the present without killing their alt-universe counterparts, would there even be an existential crisis?

I don't know, but this is really starting to venture into a certain "thinking about it" territory that probably isn't that worthwhile.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Pedantic aside: would you really call this show high-concept? I guess you can try to explain the "Doc and Marty" dynamic like people use Johnny Quest for Venture Bros., but I similarly would definitely not call VB high-concept. Some of the plotlines are, but not really the premise of the show.

I actually find this show really hard to sell to others since at first glance it seems to have more in common with "wacky adventure" cartoons like Uncle Grandpa than something that would initially look more mature like your VB or Archer.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Theyre both high concept "Its like Doc and Marty but everything is really hosed up!" or change to "like Johnny Quest..." The premise sells itself.

The term is just a baseline anyway because even high concept works can have a lot going on beneath the surface. Or just be limited to the gimmicky idea and not.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 2, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's a quote from the first episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Ror posted:

Pedantic aside: would you really call this show high-concept?

The show itself is actually very much low-concept. It's fundamentally about a family and their relationships. The adventures they go on seem high-concept, but they have low-concept, understandable stakes.

That's part of the brilliance of the show.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

Hazo posted:

It's a quote from the first episode.

Oh. :eng99:

I guess I'm really good at not thinking about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I think low concept would be: Morty wants redhead to fa in love with him
And so his grandpa who doesn't know science at all pits Spanish fly in the punch.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I don't think it loving matters what conceptual level this tv show exists upon. It's extremely enjoyable while maintaining a high level of darkness.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I think its because high concept comes off as sounding conceptual cool sci-fi oriented. It might not be the high concept in the academic film sense. Most people don't know what "high concept" really means.

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

Typical posted:

I think its because high concept comes off as sounding conceptual cool sci-fi oriented. It might not be the high concept in the academic film sense. Most people don't know what "high concept" really means.

If the internet does not fail me... Snakes on a Plane is the utmost example of high-concept.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Typical posted:

Yeah, I'm just gonna go ahead and trust that Roiland and Harmon knew exactly what they were talking about when they hung a lantern on it in the pilot.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Well here you go, they're confirming it's low concept right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJB4vuQmus

At about 3:50.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ashpanash posted:

Well here you go, they're confirming it's low concept right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJB4vuQmus

At about 3:50.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's funny to watch them talk around the Back to the Future spoof beginnings. They just keep making sure to hit "original characters" over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

I've shown this show to about a half dozen friends, and everyone seems to love it. The only person who's not completely on board is my girlfriend, who finds Roiland's voice acting of the main characters to be grating. I can see her point, but to me the belching and stuttering took about an episode to get used to, and now gives it a unique charm. I'm not surprised it's doing well in ratings, as it manages to be a character-driven family sitcom and a dark, sci-fi mindfuck at the same time, and to somehow do both well.

PostNouveau posted:

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it's funny to watch them talk around the Back to the Future spoof beginnings. They just keep making sure to hit "original characters" over and over again.
When I heard them say "original characters" referring to Rick & Morty, I thought they just were referring to the fact that they were the first characters for the show that they came up with, rather than taking original to mean completely from Justin Roiland's head, with no resemblances to any prior characters.

• Locked thread