Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-reviving-chip-n-dale-676161

why

WHY

WHY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Because the Chipmunks managed to make three movies... and god no. This is a bad idea. I'm almost sure whoever's in charge of their movie project is a corporate saboteur because of so many bad marketing and movie decisions.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Robindaybird posted:

Because the Chipmunks managed to make three movies... and god no. This is a bad idea. I'm almost sure whoever's in charge of their movie project is a corporate saboteur because of so many bad marketing and movie decisions.

Robert Rugan is directing and the company is the same people that are doing the new Muppet movies.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Go die, Disney. This is the anti-Frozen.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Didn't see this posted but the Lego movie did like a spoof behind the scenes trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lipp_BxZpto
I'm getting more and more excited for this movie

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The inclusion of Gadget will make this furry fodder.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Studio Ghibli is adapting Ronja the Robber's Daughter :allears: (as a TV series)

It's gonna be interesting to see how they're gonna adapt if they take cues from the live action film, which was terrifying (Grey Dwarves :stonk:). It has the potential to be somewhere between the whimsical (Ponyo/Totoro) and the darker (Mononoke/Spirited Away) material they've done. Also I'm guessing less nudity than the live action film :v:

It's good to know that Ghibli still loves Astrid Lindgren though. I hope the Pippi Longstocking adaptation could still be possible, the concept art was great.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I take it Alvin and the Chipmunks made a ton of money?

I never thought about it before, but Ghibli and Astrid Lindgren are basically a match made in heaven. This has the potential to be really good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Winklebottom posted:

Studio Ghibli is adapting Ronja the Robber's Daughter :allears: (as a TV series)

It's gonna be interesting to see how they're gonna adapt if they take cues from the live action film, which was terrifying (Grey Dwarves :stonk:). It has the potential to be somewhere between the whimsical (Ponyo/Totoro) and the darker (Mononoke/Spirited Away) material they've done. Also I'm guessing less nudity than the live action film :v:

It's good to know that Ghibli still loves Astrid Lindgren though. I hope the Pippi Longstocking adaptation could still be possible, the concept art was great.

I want to be excited by I've watched the live action movie so many times I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with this no matter what they do.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Obviously this film didn't have the budget, but I feel not having Bradley Cooper voice Sly is a missed opportunity.

I want Bradley Cooper to voice all raccoons, is what I'm saying here.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

They better not gently caress up the songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbioT0qXZIQ

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Alhazred posted:

They better not gently caress up the songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbioT0qXZIQ

These guys + some medieval clothing and raucous singing are pretty much Mattis' robber band :v:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just hope they manage to make Ronja's dad even half as charmingly insane as in the live action movie. He's the best character and the definite highlight of the movie. Now I'm picturing his and Borka's fight scene as the fist fight in Porco Rosso :D

EDIT: ^^^^ Seems like I wasn't the only one to think of Porco Rosso!

Mattis and his robber band in action :toot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-YqaoFo8bw

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 1, 2014

gunblade
Sep 1, 2008

-Just lucky, I guess

Samuel Clemens posted:

I never thought about it before, but Ghibli and Astrid Lindgren are basically a match made in heaven. This has the potential to be really good.

I thought the same thing the instant I saw that promo image.

Apologies if this is common knowledge in this thread, but the Ronja news reminded me that Miyazaki once wanted to make a a version of Pippi Longstocking too. Some sketches can be seen here: http://ghibli.livejournal.com/333209.html

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

If Disney is going to jump on the 90's nostalgia train I'd better see a drat Gargoyles movie :mad:

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vargo posted:

Obviously this film didn't have the budget, but I feel not having Bradley Cooper voice Sly is a missed opportunity.

Or Bruce Willis.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Benne posted:

If Disney is going to jump on the 90's nostalgia train I'd better see a drat Gargoyles movie :mad:

We got that already. It's called The Hunchback of Notre Dame. :smug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

We got that already. It's called The Hunchback of Notre Dame. :smug:

I will end you.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

I will end you.

that's what Frollo said to the Gargoyles right?

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Y'know, no matter how terrible this turns out to be, as long as we end up getting a remastered version of the NES game out of it I'll be totally satisfied.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

that's what Frollo said to the Gargoyles right?

In an ironic twist of fate, Frollo found the Gargoyles humorous

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is now out on DVD.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pick posted:

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is now out on DVD.

being in Europe sucks. Cloudy just hit the movietheaters here. :/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vargo posted:

You can't change The Rigbone. So don't even try.

(Rigby should play all raccoons)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd like to talk a bit about Ralph Bakshi. I've watched a few of his movies (Coonskin, The Lord of the Rings) and I don't think he is a good filmmaker. The animation, sound mixing and direction are all crap. What exactly do people see in him?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Baron Bifford posted:

I'd like to talk a bit about Ralph Bakshi. I've watched a few of his movies (Coonskin, The Lord of the Rings) and I don't think he is a good filmmaker. The animation, sound mixing and direction are all crap. What exactly do people see in him?

Coonskin is a bit of a historical curio. It was a hugely divisive at the time of its release- as in, people threw smokebombs into theaters playing it and Jesse Jackson sent muscle to the premier to try to tear down the screen, but those guys ended up loving the movie. It was really groundbreaking at the time (and there hasn't been much like it since) and formed a huge part of the inspiration for Spike Lee's superior Bamboozled, but is still unique for also tackling the subject of racism in animation. It's an ugly, kind of unenjoyable, weird movie, because it's a work that represents generations of poisonous media being vomited up.

Lord of the Rings just isn't that good. Wizards is the Bakshi fantasy to watch (and stay away from Fire and Ice while you're at it).

With Bakshi, you kind of either like him or you don't, and even the people who like him don't endorse him wholeheartedly. He's kind of sexist, he's a pervert, he's egotistical, he thinks he's smarter than he is, all of this shows through in his filmmaking. However, he did things nobody else did. His style is gritty and weird-looking because he was a super low-budget animator. He was operating outside of the Disney system when it was basically just him and Bluth, and tackling subject matter that animation simply didn't venture into at the time.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So Bakshi's legacy is that he proved edgy adult animation could be viable, if not good.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 2, 2014

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Anonymous Robot posted:

With Bakshi, you kind of either like him or you don't, and even the people who like him don't endorse him wholeheartedly. He's kind of sexist, he's a pervert, he's egotistical, he thinks he's smarter than he is, all of this shows through in his filmmaking. However, he did things nobody else did. His style is gritty and weird-looking because he was a super low-budget animator. He was operating outside of the Disney system when it was basically just him and Bluth, and tackling subject matter that animation simply didn't venture into at the time.
Yeah, I concur with any and all criticisms of Bakshi, including the fact that his movies are generally terrible, but this is absolutely it. There was very little anarchist/adult-oriented animation going on until Bakshi came along. The key thing about Bakshi, to me, is his consistent desire to animate the gritty aspects of city life.

I'm a complete nutcase on this issue, but I have a strong resentment toward Disney for what I see as the studio's longterm cultural legacy of shaping American (and international) imagination and aesthetic values. WD the man had a particular ideal of innocence, beauty, and humor that were appropriate to his own personal biography. He grew up in the small-town Midwest and brought that nostalgia to everything. But the unintended consequence of that nostalgia is xenophobia. I don't think WD himself was racist, but it's not at all surprising that people believed him to be, because the vision communicated in his films is very racist and anti-metropolitan.

Some of the other studios like Fleischer and Warner Brothers brought lots of New York/immigrant/Jewish/African American influences into their work -- but after WWII, Disney's vision is what won out, and it's what became the norm for feature animation.* It's shocking and saddening to me that so few people have been able to break through that norm with subversive work. It's so stupid that making creative work that reflects the real texture of American life is still considered so radical.

*For some reason television animation seems to have been able to evolve and experiment over the years a lot more.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

neonnoodle posted:

*For some reason television animation seems to have been able to evolve and experiment over the years a lot more.

Is that really true though? I mean sure there is a lot of adult comedy animation, but there hasn't really been any western non-comedy animated shows made for adults. It always bugs me that there is so much untapped potential for the medium.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah I agree that there's tons of unexplored territory, but at least TV got the chance to make things that vary stylistically and/or are slightly rough in terms of polish.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm just grateful for whatever history led us to Cool World. :unsmigghh:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
God that movie was trippy rear end balls in terms of animation. Up there with Felix the Cat.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
His movies tend to be bad, but they are enjoyable watches and he is definitely on of those underground animators of the old days. But he did do some really good stuff too, Christmas in Tattertown, Malcom and Melvin, his Mighty Mouse cartoon.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

In an ironic twist of fate, Frollo found the Gargoyles humorous

The true sign he was a villain.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah, I concur with any and all criticisms of Bakshi, including the fact that his movies are generally terrible, but this is absolutely it. There was very little anarchist/adult-oriented animation going on until Bakshi came along. The key thing about Bakshi, to me, is his consistent desire to animate the gritty aspects of city life.

I'm a complete nutcase on this issue, but I have a strong resentment toward Disney for what I see as the studio's longterm cultural legacy of shaping American (and international) imagination and aesthetic values. WD the man had a particular ideal of innocence, beauty, and humor that were appropriate to his own personal biography. He grew up in the small-town Midwest and brought that nostalgia to everything. But the unintended consequence of that nostalgia is xenophobia. I don't think WD himself was racist, but it's not at all surprising that people believed him to be, because the vision communicated in his films is very racist and anti-metropolitan.

Some of the other studios like Fleischer and Warner Brothers brought lots of New York/immigrant/Jewish/African American influences into their work -- but after WWII, Disney's vision is what won out, and it's what became the norm for feature animation.* It's shocking and saddening to me that so few people have been able to break through that norm with subversive work. It's so stupid that making creative work that reflects the real texture of American life is still considered so radical.

Some of the studio's animated output could be interpreted as anti-metropolitan (although I would argue that's due to their rural fairy-tale roots), but Walt was certainly not anti-metropolitan - at least, not in his later life. His last years were spent obsessed with urban planning, culminating in his original vision for EPCOT (Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow), which was basically a planned utopia. It was completely unrealistic, but it shows that he was able to move past his small-town mentality. To be fair, this was basically an extension of his control-freak nature, as the entire city would have been designed to his exacting standards.

As for the xenophobia, I guess that might be seen in the moral "community togetherness" that pops up frequently - which naturally excludes anyone outside the norm. This wasn't exclusive to Walt by any stretch of the imagination, it's the basic American "melting pot" metaphor. Whether it's appropriate today is another discussion, but I don't think Walt was pushing any radical ideas here.

Like anyone, he was a human being whose views and values changed over time. For better or worse I don't think he "forced" his ideals onto anyone - the American public ate it up.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Samuel Clemens posted:

I take it Alvin and the Chipmunks made a ton of money?

Oh yes. Hybrid Animated films are easy money and are cheap to make ( relatively speaking ). The live action side isn't as expensive to produce as a normal blockbuster tentpole film, and the CG is cheap enough with the right studio. Rhythm and Hues and Sony Imageworks are the two high end studios that can crank those out quickly [furry talking animal movies].

I worked at R+H on Alvin 2. It was pretty much the low point of my career.

But yes, they make a lot of money.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You can bash Disney's themes all you want, but from a technical standpoint they are the most competent animation house in the Western hemisphere.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

Sorry, but either I'm too naïve, or my definition of rascism is different or I'm not deathly afraid of needing to be politically correct, but can you explain to me which old Disney movies are rascist?
I have never seen anything rascist in any Disney movie I've seen.
There was mention about this in the TVtropes thread as well, that apparently the crows in Dumbo are rascist? I didn't want to derail that thread but since this is animation related I figure I might as well ask now.
I have seen Song of the South, but other than being horribly dated by our standards in the way that they handle the old black guy there doesn't seem to be anything really wrong there. :confused:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Darth TNT posted:

Sorry, but either I'm too naïve, or my definition of rascism is different or I'm not deathly afraid of needing to be politically correct, but can you explain to me which old Disney movies are rascist?
There was mention about this in the TVtropes thread as well, that apparently the crows in Dumbo are rascist? I didn't want to derail that thread but since this is animation related I figure I might as well ask now.
I have seen Song of the South, but other than being horribly dated by our standards in the way that they handle the old black guy there doesn't seem to be anything really wrong there. :confused:

The most obvious choices for "racism in old Disney movies" are Peter Pan's "What Makes the Red Man Red" and The Lady and the Tramp's Siamese cats, but there are many other instances of racism in Disney movies of varying insensitivity (and way more if you include the shorts).

The crows in Dumbo were stereotypical caricatures of black people, especially as they were portrayed in the media of the 1940s.

It might help if you look at racism as a sliding scale instead of "which movies are racist and which ones aren't:" there can be a hint of racism in something, or a lot of racism in something, but putting a big stamp saying that something "is racist" or "isn't racist" doesn't contribute to critical conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Darth TNT posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yE8TKUB_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEEPaYD5KZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlQYqQs0R3w

EDIT: gently caress, beaten.

• Locked thread