Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

David Desharnais will be playing for another team before the playoffs start.

If I'm wrong, I'll keep the same username but get an avatar of Wayne Simmonds.

Heh not looking so good for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Scott Gomez has not registered a point since November 22nd.

Last night he was freed from his press box prison and registered four shots on goal in his first game of 2014!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

somehow thought this was a GDT :tipshat:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

The Prisoner posted:

Scott Gomez has not registered a point since November 22nd.

Last night he was freed from his press box prison and registered four shots on goal in his first game of 2014!

Why would anyone bet on Scott Gomez

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Kari has played half the season. I am safe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Twin Cinema posted:

1. Tay Tay will finish top-5 in points
2. Clarkson will score 15 goals or less
3. Columbus will make the playoffs
4. Victor Hedman will receive at least one vote for the Norris
5. Tavares will score 50 goals
6. Philadelphia will be a bottom-5 team in the league
7. Fowler will rebound and score 30+ points: Correct
8. Franson will manage to put up 30+ points
9. Edmonton will continue improving, and will only miss the playoffs by five points (if they make the playoffs, this prediction is still a success)
10. Sidney Crosby will play over 75 games, and manage to replicate similar PPG totals as his previous three seasons, so will score at least 115 points.

1. He's currently sitting in 12th. If he didn't miss 7 games, he would be in 4th place.
2. Still at 3 goals, and he is injured.
3. This prediction looks a lot better than it did last month. Columbus went 10-4-0 in January.
4. Who knows?
5. Currently on pace for 33 goals. This will not happen.
6. Philly is ten points ahead of the 26th team in the league (the Islanders).
7. Fowler hit 30 points.
8. Currently has 26 points. Franson will probably hit 30.
9. Hahaha.
10. I thought Crosby would hit 130 points this year. Currently, he is still hovering around the 115 mark, and he is on pace to play 82 games.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Rutkowski posted:

Phoenix will make the playoffs or I'll cheer for a Canadian team in the playoffs in the order of my dislike for them.

Order is:

Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
Montreal
Winnipeg
Ottawa

So if Edmonton and Winnipeg makes it, it's Edmonton.

So yeah, I'll either wear a Phoenix or Vancouver avatar this postseason. Possibly a Montreal avatar but that wouldn't be THAT much of a punishment for me.

Jesus loving Christ I'm going to have to use a Toronto avatar during the postseason.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Twin Cinema posted:

4. Who knows?

If Hedman doesn't get Norris votes with the year he's having, I'll be STUNNED.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

VJeff posted:

If Hedman doesn't get Norris votes with the year he's having, I'll be STUNNED.

As will I. He's pretty much assured to get a vote from someone.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Dan Girardi got a Norris vote or two last year

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Levitate posted:

Why would anyone bet on Scott Gomez
It motivated Hand Knit to start this thread so step off. :colbert:

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Guignol posted:

Two toxxes:
-If the Ducks finish higher than the Senators in the regular season standings, I will buy a Ducks Silfverberg shirsey and make a video of me crying like a little girl into it.
-If the Wings eliminate the Senators in the Stanley Cup playoffs (a likely matchup considering the divisional playoff scheme), I will make a video of myself burning my prized knockoff Alfredsson jersey and also probably cry like a little girl again

I'm statistically hosed on this as of today. Do they sell Silfverberg shirseys at the official Ducks store? If not, may I have a mod rule on whether or not a shirsey of another player will suffice? God damnit gently caress poo poo fuuuuuuuuuuuucKKKKKK

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
:supaburn: SUPREME TOXX COURT IS NOW IN SESSION :supaburn:

The Handsome Defendant: Guignol
The Evil Prosecutor: Pleads
The Toxx:

Guignol posted:

-If the Ducks finish higher than the Senators in the regular season standings, I will buy a Ducks Silfverberg shirsey and make a video of me crying like a little girl into it.

Current standings:

Barring a miracle or a terrible plane crash, this toxx is almost certain to come true. Clearly the magic spark of Jakob Silfverberg, Cool Guy Swedeman, has ignited a fire in the Anaheim Ducks that burns brighter than the dull flame of the Alfieless Ottawa Senators. Our defendant is willing to admit that he is a dumb-dumb for taking this bet.

For months, the defendant could not find a single god drat place that sold a Ducks Silfverberg shirsey. NHL.com only carries shirts bearing the names of Getzlaf, Perry and other plugs who are neither Cool Guys nor Swedemen. How could the Ducks not promote one of their finest players? Surely the toxx would be lost! Just in time, the following photos emerged from the official Ducks store today:

A shirsey at last! Yes, the Anaheim Ducks do indeed sell a Jakob Silfverberg shirsey. It is yellow and bears a Ducks logo featuring a stylish Swedish flag pattern within its border; a bold design for a bold player.

The prosecution would have you believe that this is not a Jakob Silfverberg shirsey, despite all evidence to the contrary. It is up to you, the Supreme Toxx Court, to decide if this is true. Will this shirsey fulfill the toxx clause, or will justice crumble before our eyes? You decide.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

The prosecution believes that while the above images do indeed display a Silfverberg shirsey, the defendant is skirting the true point of their Toxx:

Guignol posted:

Two toxxes:
As seen in the above quote, dated September 4th, 2013, the defendant indicates not only will the shirsey bear the name of Silfverberg--a pretty good player traded for garbage by a mismanaged and overrated hockey team--it will clearly be a Ducks shirsey. The nature of this Toxx specifically references NHL hockey teams (not national teams), as indicated in the thread's title (specifically, "NHL Toxxes 13-14").

As such, the prosecution believes that the above Team Sweden shirsey does not adequately meet the terms of the Toxx.

The primary focus of the shirsey is that of Team Sweden (Swedish flag, blue and yellow, three crowns, Swedish name)

The one single reference to the NHL team Anaheim Ducks is also Sweden's flag. The shape of the flag, when confronted with the other factors mentioned above re: how super Swedish the shirt is, means that the rather indistinct shape of Anaheim's usual logo is lost.

The shape of Anaheim's logo, while potentially recognizable in the Ducks' area of regional impression, is not in this usage immediately recognizable outside of that area. Primarily, the prosecution asks that, for the sake of qualifying as a "Ducks Silfverberg shirsey" as stated in the Toxx, the garment must be immediately recognizable as a Ducks Silverberg jersey either within the jurisdiction of Guignol's residence (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan), or that of his favoured NHL team (Kanata, Ontario).

The defendant mentions Sweden exactly 0 times in his Toxx (nor in any Toxx thread post leading to his opening statement), specifically stating "Ducks" in reference to the NHL Anaheim Ducks. Yet in his opening statement, he uses the words Sweden/Team Sweden/Swedish/Swedeman 3 times, and frames his arguments in such a way he would have you believe his Toxx was in any way related to the nationality of the player.

It was not.

Do not let this man skirt the justice of the Toxx. To do so undermines this thread, these forums, and the community of trust and brotherhood with which we govern ourselves.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
International shirsey shouldn't count since you specifically said "Ducks"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That is a Ducks logo (hideous) and thus clearly a Ducks shirsey with super cool (hideous) olympic colours. I say it counts.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah but he's supposed to cry into a Ducks jersey on video and it's just going to look like him crying into a big yellow sheet if that counts.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
That is official merchandise of the Anaheim Ducks from their official store bearing their registered trademark. Unless the prosecution can prove the existence of a preferable shirzee, that's as real as it gets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

canuckanese posted:

Yeah but he's supposed to cry into a Ducks jersey on video and it's just going to look like him crying into a big yellow sheet if that counts.

You're not looking at the big picture.

The goal here is to get video of him crying like a big dumb baby. What he cries into is not the important part.

That said if he draws a cartoon duck that he names "Ducks Silfverberg" onto the front of the shirt in order to facilitate the toxx I won't cry fowl.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Can you find like an iron-on ducks logo patch to put on front? Close enough to follow the spirit of the toxx

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zodijackylite posted:

That is official merchandise of the Anaheim Ducks from their official store bearing their registered trademark. Unless the prosecution can prove the existence of a preferable shirzee, that's as real as it gets.

yeah i think its fine

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I am going to the Ducks game tomorrow and can verify existence/non-existence of "normal" Silfverberg shirsey if needed.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

TheGoatTrick posted:

I am going to the Ducks game tomorrow and can verify existence/non-existence of "normal" Silfverberg shirsey if needed.

Yes, please.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zodijackylite posted:

Ding.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...

TheGoatTrick posted:

Yes, this would be most appreciated

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
There are no normal Silfverberg shirseys, but I've seen [random player] appear during a season before. My sister has a Dan Ellis shirsey, for crying out loud. What they have right now is kind of a weird mix. In any event, the team store accepts phone orders. (888) 438-2505

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

he knows...
The court gratefully acknowledges TheGoatTrick for his assistance

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Vigilance posted:

Crosby is gonna score 120 or more points and if he doesn't I'll buy an avatar of SAS' choosing and wear it until the start of next season.

He's on pace for 114. May I suggest:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

David Desharnais will be playing for another team before the playoffs start.

If I'm wrong, I'll keep the same username but get an avatar of Wayne Simmonds.

Seeing as how he won't be sent down to Hamilton between now and then, I'm in the market for a Wayne Simmonds avatar

e: Toxx challenge completed. If some benevolent mod could fix the apostrophe jumble I'd be mighty obliged.

Reince Penis fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 6, 2014

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

burf posted:

Since I like the idea of multiple predictions, so I'm doing it too. If 5 or more of the following predictions are incorrect, I will get an avatar of SAS' choosing.

1. Erik Karlsson will finish in the top 3 for Norris voting.
2. Bobby Ryan will score at least 35 goals.
3. Clarke MacArthur will outscore David Clarkson.
4. Spezza will finish top-10 in scoring.
5. Ottawa will finish ahead of Detroit.
6. Winnipeg will finish 4th or higher in the Central division.
7. Yakupov will score at least 30 goals.
8. Canada will not make the 2014 Olympic men's hockey finals.
9. Taylor Hall will outscore John Tavares (gonna hedge this bet by saying in points-per-game, not total points).
10. Toronto and Anaheim will miss the playoffs.

If any of those seem too easy, let me know and I can swap the offending prediction to something else.

e: Removed 11th prediction, changed it to 5 or more wrong

1) Maybe
2) Maybe
3) Yes
4) Nope
5) Nope
6) Nope (I should have said they'd make the playoffs)
7) Nope
8) Nope
9) Nope
10) Nope

Yeeeeah I lost this one.

I'm likely going to be turning this into an avatar if it's acceptable to SAS:

Alternatively, if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger

Mayo and Catsup posted:

If at least one of the below does not happen, I will purchase an avatar and subtext of SAS choosing until the start of next season. It doesn't even have to be sports related.

1. Toronto will make it past the first round of the playoffs
2. No Flyers player will score more than 75 points.
3. The winner of this year's Hart Trophy will be player that has never won the award before.
4. Canada will NOT win the gold medal in the Olympics.
5. Columbus makes the playoffs.

The avatar and subtext will have to be forum appropriate.

EDIT: Screw it, let's add some more

None of these look like they will happen, and once again Canada ruins everything

I haven't been posting that much but when the toxx is decided, I may not see it right away but I will do it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

JoelJoel posted:

He's on pace for 114. May I suggest:

Yeah but wait until Lee Stempniak gets here

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VJeff posted:

Also, I will write a short essay (250 words each) celebrating the skills and accomplishments of every goaltender who finishes ahead of Jimmy Howard in SV% this year titled "Goalies More Elite Than James Russell Howard III".

.913, 25th place. And Datsyuk's out for the next three weeks. :lol:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am going to make ten predictions, and the toxx clause will come into effect if less than half of these do not happen.

1. Tay Tay will finish top-5 in points
2. Clarkson will score 15 goals or less
3. Columbus will make the playoffs
4. Victor Hedman will receive at least one vote for the Norris
5. Tavares will score 50 goals
6. Philadelphia will be a bottom-5 team in the league
7. Fowler will rebound and score 30+ points
8. Franson will manage to put up 30+ points
9. Edmonton will continue improving, and will only miss the playoffs by five points (if they make the playoffs, this prediction is still a success)
10. Sidney Crosby will play over 75 games, and manage to replicate similar PPG totals as his previous three seasons, so will score at least 115 points.

All of these are just doubling down on predictions I have made in other threads. I haven't figured out the proper toxx yet. Probably just an avatar change.

Last update before the end of the season.

1. He is currently 18th, and 8 points away from 5th. Unless he goes on a tear (he won't), this won't happen.
2. Not like this; not like this.
3. They currently have a wild card spot.
4. This HAS to happen.
5. Finished the year with 24 goals. Won't happen.
6. Wrong on this one.
7. Yes
8. Only 3 points away.
9. Haha.
10. On pace for 111 points. I believe in you, Crosby.

Getting 6 out of 10 would be p. good.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I'll toxx myself on the under of this:
If Sidney Crosby plays over 72 games (edit: during the regular season) I will change my forum name to whatever flyinglemur or Vigilance chooses.
Pretty much lost this one, think of forum names

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Separate toxx:
If Toronto makes it further than Montreal in the playoffs I will change my avatar to whatever Twin Cinema or Paulocaust chooses.

Toronto might make the playoffs, but they'll probably face the Bruins. Bolts are in a weird rebuild limbo so I feel pretty good about the Habs's chances.

Shyfted One posted:

Shoeonhead22 and I have a $20 charity bet for where the Jackets place in the league at the end of the season.

Bottom 3rd (21-30) then Shoeonhead22 wins and I give $20 to whatever charity he wants. 1-20 and I pick a charity for him.

It was looking good up until the Olympic break! I'm fine with losing this one.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Toronto might make the playoffs, but they'll probably face the Bruins. Bolts are in a weird rebuild limbo so I feel pretty good about the Habs's chances.

Can someone explain the new format to me? I thought the Habs would be playing the Leafs, if the season ended today. My understanding is that the two division winners play the wild card teams (so 1v8 and 2v7), and the other two series' are divisional playoffs.

e: I think I misread your post, and you are saying that Toronto will fall back to the WC spot.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

If the Wings make it farther than the Sens do in the postseason, I'll buy a Garrioch avatar, not replace it until the end of the 14-15 season, and refrain from speaking a word against Sun Media's contribution to journalism while I have it.

The Sun is so named because it causes horrible tumours on the eyes and brains of the people who read it. Garrioch and Brennan couldn't solve the crossword on the placemats at McDonald's. Together they know only slightly more about hockey than I do, but I smell better and don't have crayon stains on my sleeves.

Gotta get this outta my system now, I guess.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

Twin Cinema posted:

Can someone explain the new format to me? I thought the Habs would be playing the Leafs, if the season ended today. My understanding is that the two division winners play the wild card teams (so 1v8 and 2v7), and the other two series' are divisional playoffs.

e: I think I misread your post, and you are saying that Toronto will fall back to the WC spot.

Yeah I don't think Toronto will hang onto the current spot, your understanding of the format is correct. Habs vs. Leafs is too intense for me to even think about.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

If the Boston Bruins advance farther than the Canucks in the playoffs this year, I will purchase an avatar commemorating their glorious victory over my team in 2011. I will keep said avatar for one month for each additional playoff win the Bruins have over the Canucks (to a maximum of 16 months). Should the Bruins win the Cup I will keep the avatar until the Canucks win a cup of their own (or until everyone decides they're sick of it).

If the Bruins win the cup and the Canucks don't make the playoffs I will change my name and avatar to something fitting the Bruins' status as the greatest hockey team of all time.

Hahaha :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i suggest JACK EDWARDS IRL

• Locked thread