Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

JazzFlight posted:

How would that work?
Like, each episode would cost 5 gems or something?
Yeah, then when you uninstall, you lose your purchased episodes.

EDIT: What about tying episode unlocks to an account system? Like, you sign up at the dev website, link it in-app, then the episodes get unlocked. This wouldn't bypass Apple app rules in my opinion because you could still buy the episodes in-app for non-kickstarter backers.

Puzzles and Dragons does this all the time. Every two weeks or so they send out in game messages containing IAP currency to their users. Yes, there's an internal account system, but it's just basically assigning each user a nine digit number that gets handed out like a Nintendo friend code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
This makes me happy. I can't wait!

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Wait is the republique 99 cent season pass thing a thing to purchase within the actual game after buying it for 5 bucks?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

GoldenNugget posted:

Wait is the republique 99 cent season pass thing a thing to purchase within the actual game after buying it for 5 bucks?

Yes, so the whole game is $5.99 plus tax.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

:ducksiren: hero siege went free :ducksiren:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hero-siege/id760989481?mt=8

belac42
Nov 21, 2011

Not in New Zealand.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

You can only shoot up, down, left and right. You can not shoot in any other direction. Maybe you can, but I wasn't able to figure it out. I mean my first iOS game was able to do that, iDracula.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

obi_ant posted:

You can only shoot up, down, left and right. You can not shoot in any other direction. Maybe you can, but I wasn't able to figure it out. I mean my first iOS game was able to do that, iDracula.

No I can't either. It seems to take a lot of inspiration from blinding of Isaac. I even got a fetus buddy. Not a bad little time waster.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Are there any good card battling games out there that are not online/multiplayer (aka pay to win trash). I have ascension and enjoy it. Been reminiscing about Cardfighters Clash recently

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I like Summoner Wars but it is quite different to Ascension.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think Ascension has anything to do with "card battlers" aside from cards. Have you tried Nightfall or Penny Arcade: Gamers vs a Evil? The latter in particular is a lot Ike Ascension.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
There's also Tanto Cuore, which is a solid game but moderately uncomfortable to play because of how *~anime~* it is.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Apparently some garbage game called Flappy Bird figured out how to mega game the App Store's ranking system: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/flappy-birds-smoke-mirrors-scamming-app-store/

:aslol:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ehh I think it's some sort of "thing" to post sorta ironic extremely negative reviews for that game -- I've seen people doing it on Facebook and stuff.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Yodzilla posted:

Apparently some garbage game called Flappy Bird figured out how to mega game the App Store's ranking system: http://www.bluecloudsolutions.com/blog/flappy-birds-smoke-mirrors-scamming-app-store/

Is it just helicopter in super Mario world?

belac42
Nov 21, 2011

tuyop posted:

Is it just helicopter in super Mario world?

Pretty much

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Republique season pass is still $1 for at least another 12 hours. Just bought it. I figure the total of $6 only has to beat or exceed Infinity Blade games to be worth it. I'm interested in seeing what the voice acting is like.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Yodzilla posted:

I see students playing the poo poo out of this game. No idea where it came from, but it's hugely popular with high school kids, at least.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 1, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I never heard of it then I saw some screens yesterday and today TechCrunch is talking about how it got to the top of the app store.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Yodzilla posted:

Oh my god I just downloaded this and gently caress this game :suicide:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What's the best pinball game available on the iphone? Are there any that feature replicas of irl pinball tables?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

What's the best pinball game available on the iphone? Are there any that feature replicas of irl pinball tables?

I really like Zen Pinball and the free table it comes with (other tables are IAP) is really fun.

I'm not a table aficionado or anything but I play it on PC and iPad fairly frequently.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

I find it funny that this site's talking about shady, underhanded App Store tactics when he's selling finished, IAP-filled app projects for developers to reskin and release on the App Store as their own.
Naturally, some of the games that have come of this are absolute winners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdN2dPeZ-O8

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

You want Pinball Arcade.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

Pinball heads hang out in here, the consensus is definitely Pinball Arcade. While it's definitely flawed in some ways, there are a shitload of tables, all replicas of irl ones

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
In addition to Pinball Arcade, there is Zaccaria Pinball, a game that deals with replicas from the library of Zaccaria, an Italian company. They are all from the early solid state era of pinball machines so they aren't as fancy as the ones on Pinball Arcade. Luigi Thirty gives the best concise description of it in the Pinball thread.

Luigi Thirty posted:

If you like disco, LSD, and programmable sound generators, you'll love Zaccaria pinball.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

I.W.W. ATTITUDE posted:

The pinball arcade is a great game if not a little cumbersome on the iphone. The table list is huge now and while each table is individual iap there's a free table of the month every month. My one bitch is that using the touch controls on the iphone sometimes blocks my view of the table and that tilting for me is less precise than on the other platforms. I'm basically just mad I have tpa poo poo purchased on xbox though.

So I threw some money at osu! because I've always thought an ouendan style game was perfect for ios but I'm interested in comparing, what other music games do people recommend?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

marshmonkey posted:

...we are working on a Tiny Tower sequel that should be out later this year.

You sons of bitches. I've only just now managed to convince my wife not to leave me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

mdemone posted:

You sons of bitches. I've only just now managed to convince my wife not to leave me.

SOLUTION: Get your wife hooked on NimbleBit crack games too! Works for me!

So, I see dungeon keeper is out and based upon the complete lack of discussion for it, and the comments on the App Store, it seems it has been ruined by blatant IAP cash moneys grabbing as predicted? Would this be accurate?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

The Kins posted:

I find it funny that this site's talking about shady, underhanded App Store tactics when he's selling finished, IAP-filled app projects for developers to reskin and release on the App Store as their own.
Naturally, some of the games that have come of this are absolute winners:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdN2dPeZ-O8

Plus as a developer myself I've never heard anybody pluralize "source codes".

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Doctor Zero posted:

SOLUTION: Get your wife hooked on NimbleBit crack games too! Works for me!

So, I see dungeon keeper is out and based upon the complete lack of discussion for it, and the comments on the App Store, it seems it has been ruined by blatant IAP cash moneys grabbing as predicted? Would this be accurate?

http://youtu.be/GpdoBwezFVA

Yes

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Gonna ask one more time since nobody answered me. I'm playing Merchant to the Stars and at level 10 it said I could buy an improved elemental something or other. I don't see anything like that anywhere in the game. Did something fail to unlock or what? Is there supposed to be something that allows you to modify elemental enchantments in some way? It seems like there's a pretty huge gap between the unlocks around level 8 and level 13.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

That Flappy Bird game's popularity might be legit

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

runchild posted:

Gonna ask one more time since nobody answered me. I'm playing Merchant to the Stars and at level 10 it said I could buy an improved elemental something or other. I don't see anything like that anywhere in the game. Did something fail to unlock or what? Is there supposed to be something that allows you to modify elemental enchantments in some way? It seems like there's a pretty huge gap between the unlocks around level 8 and level 13.

I'm pretty sure when you go to upgrades you just see a third box for elemental upgrade next to the ones for Capacity and Subtype.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

foobar posted:

iOS gamers discovering Helicopter for the first time

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

UncleSmoothie posted:

I don't think Ascension has anything to do with "card battlers" aside from cards. Have you tried Nightfall or Penny Arcade: Gamers vs a Evil? The latter in particular is a lot Ike Ascension.

Yea I just wanted to preface with that since ascension would be my go to recommendation. Penny arcade looks most interesting from a gameplay standpoint although I'm not really fan

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

foobar posted:

The current popularity might be, but it is a bit suspect how the game got there.

I do remember like 10 years ago or whatever we would play some stupid helicopter in a cave game in homeroom while waiting for school to start. Funny to see a resurgence now.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Clocks posted:

The current popularity might be, but it is a bit suspect how the game got there.

I do remember like 10 years ago or whatever we would play some stupid helicopter in a cave game in homeroom while waiting for school to start. Funny to see a resurgence now.
Well, Flappy Bird having 400,000+ ratings on the app store compared to like, a total of 19,000 or so for Minecraft Pocket is a liiiiiiittle suspicious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Free/paid. Flappy Bird is indeed a mega hit, I can't believe you guys are just hearing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Flappy Bird trends on twitter like twice a week.

• Locked thread