Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Meh, people shouldn't consider games failures because they didn't meet WoW's popularity. Much of WoW's popularity is being in the right place at the right time and it has rode that momentum for a long time. A good portion of it's playerbase will not play another MMO, so games that try to steal WoW players can hurt themselves.

A big box price combined with a sub is pretty hefty these days though. I hope they keep the box price to a minimum. I don't think subs are a problem if the game is good, but I have my concerns in other areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Has there been any mention of a downscaling or sidekicking system? I understand they're targeting zone content for specific levels, but I am curious if higher level players can group with lower level friends & not utterly demolish everything in one hit, for example

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Gerudo Rivera posted:

Has there been any mention of a downscaling or sidekicking system? I understand they're targeting zone content for specific levels, but I am curious if higher level players can group with lower level friends & not utterly demolish everything in one hit, for example

Yes, you can manually choose to scale your level down, it's called Mentoring in this game. You can also scale up if you are a little under leveled for a dungeon or whatever. http://www.wildstarfans.net/2013/05/introducing-new-wildstar-features.html

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yes, you can manually choose to scale your level down, it's called Mentoring in this game. You can also scale up if you are a little under leveled for a dungeon or whatever. http://www.wildstarfans.net/2013/05/introducing-new-wildstar-features.html

Thanks! Thought I'd heard something about it, but couldn't remember the terms. Rallying sounds like a good balance.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

No joke, this might be the best thing I've heard about the game yet. Ever since playing City of Heroes when it launched so many years ago, I've always been dumbfounded by how 99% of other MMO's don't steal a page from their scaling system.

I play MMO's with a group of 2-3 friends, and we all have different amounts of playtime and leveling speed. I'm so sick of having to have special characters that we only play together. Having like 3 characters and never getting anything done on any of them is the worst. If I can blast way ahead of them, but still bump myself down to hang out when they're on, that's awesome.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ruder posted:

No joke, this might be the best thing I've heard about the game yet. Ever since playing City of Heroes when it launched so many years ago, I've always been dumbfounded by how 99% of other MMO's don't steal a page from their scaling system.

I play MMO's with a group of 2-3 friends, and we all have different amounts of playtime and leveling speed. I'm so sick of having to have special characters that we only play together. Having like 3 characters and never getting anything done on any of them is the worst. If I can blast way ahead of them, but still bump myself down to hang out when they're on, that's awesome.

This is exactly how I feel, and I'm looking forward to being able to really concentrate on one or two characters rather than a stable of alts that I don't really care about.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Hmm. I'm gonna have to go chat with Gaff about his quote in that article, because I'm 90% sure up-scaling doesn't exist for dungeons (it was probably a really old quote because it likely did do that at some point). Rallying basically means "play at the level we want you to play the content at". So for PvP, it scales you to the top of your level bracket, for PvE, it scales you down if you're overleveled. You can "override" the auto-scaling for dungeons if you walk in manually instead of using the Group Finder, but by default you'll always be scaled down (for example) to level 20 when doing a Normal Stormtalon PUG.

And mentoring does exist, but you can't just do it on your own; you have to be grouped with someone else that you can then scale down to.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Pryce posted:

Hmm. I'm gonna have to go chat with Gaff about his quote in that article, because I'm 90% sure up-scaling doesn't exist for dungeons (it was probably a really old quote because it likely did do that at some point). Rallying basically means "play at the level we want you to play the content at". So for PvP, it scales you to the top of your level bracket, for PvE, it scales you down if you're overleveled. You can "override" the auto-scaling for dungeons if you walk in manually instead of using the Group Finder, but by default you'll always be scaled down (for example) to level 20 when doing a Normal Stormtalon PUG.

And mentoring does exist, but you can't just do it on your own; you have to be grouped with someone else that you can then scale down to.

That last part is a little disappointing, I'd kinda hoped you'd just ripped of Guild Wars 2 wholesale in that regard.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Speculating, although it is a little odd that there's been no preorder campaign this late in the game if they're still targetting Spring. Everything that's been streamed, etc. makes it looks like the game is pretty polished and complete, so it's kind of curious that we're not seeing a bigger ramp up to launch.

Hard to tell with the NDA up, but either the back half of the game is still unfinished or who knows what.
Who knows what. You cannot judge the entire game by what has been streamed so far since they are not allowed to stream over level 15. If they want the game to be a long term success, they will dedicate at least a couple of months to testing the "Elder Game" level cap. Otherwise, it will be SW:TOR all over again, where people played through the leveling game once or twice then quit due to an ill-conceived and untested end game.

I take it as a good sign that they have not announced a release date yet.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

grrarg posted:

Who knows what. You cannot judge the entire game by what has been streamed so far since they are not allowed to stream over level 15. If they want the game to be a long term success, they will dedicate at least a couple of months to testing the "Elder Game" level cap. Otherwise, it will be SW:TOR all over again, where people played through the leveling game once or twice then quit due to an ill-conceived and untested end game.

I take it as a good sign that they have not announced a release date yet.

At the same time, Spring '14 really is a sweet spot for release and they have to know that. Blizzard will still be cooking WoD by April/May and they'll be past the big March releases. People will be antsy to try something new. Wait too long and then they'll have to launch against their biggest competitor right out of the gate and that will be bad news bears.

Hitting that April window will be part of the reason TESO gets great box sales, regardless of the bad hype they've gotten.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Pryce posted:

Hmm. I'm gonna have to go chat with Gaff about his quote in that article, because I'm 90% sure up-scaling doesn't exist for dungeons (it was probably a really old quote because it likely did do that at some point).

It comes from a quote on May 15, 2013. So yes, an old one.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

grrarg posted:

If they want the game to be a long term success, they will dedicate at least a couple of months to testing the "Elder Game" level cap. Otherwise, it will be SW:TOR all over again, where people played through the leveling game once or twice then quit due to an ill-conceived and untested end game.

Funnily enough, that's what the entire purpose of our next beta patch is. Details to leak later this week :P

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Pryce posted:

Funnily enough, that's what the entire purpose of our next beta patch is. Details to leak later this week :P

YAY! can't wait

Cephid
Dec 28, 2012
So I had read a few pages back that beta keys go out every Monday; is this still true or have they stopped shipping out beta keys for now?

Not that I'll assume I'll get one, but curious if the minimal chances are even there still.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.

Pryce posted:

Very excited to hear there is info coming!

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
I really appreciate how Wildstar is including so much for different players. I like that they don't see endgame as PvP or Raiding and that there's theoretically a lot to do, especially for old wow veterans who are now in grad school like me :P

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Cephid posted:

So I had read a few pages back that beta keys go out every Monday; is this still true or have they stopped shipping out beta keys for now?

They're doing them every Monday still, or at least they have been. They tweet when they've gone out (@team_wildstar).

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

They're doing them every Monday still, or at least they have been. They tweet when they've gone out (@team_wildstar).

According to their twitter they went out 38 minutes ago. God damnit.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I haven't received an email from wildstar since November, should I try signing up again?

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hitting that April window will be part of the reason TESO gets great box sales, regardless of the bad hype they've gotten.

I'd just about Toxx myself on a roll out of the beta for the bliz expansion pack a month +/- of TESOs release. Probably after, putting a pretty tiny window to release between everything coming out.

Pryce posted:

Genuinely curious on how the gear reward structure is, and where 40 man raiding sits on that scale. Somehow I think it's just to be mechanics testing though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just got a beta invite. Are there multiple servers? If so, which server and which faction are Goons playing on? (Please say space nazis)

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Only the one server, and there's the Something Awful Motorcycle Club (Reprobate Originals) on the exile side. Whisper unicoroner or wiggans.

Are there any volunteers to start up the SAMC: Occupying Kings chapter on the Dominion side?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
*edit* Turns out there is a presence! Will be checking em out on Exiles tonight.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
gently caress yeah, buddy. I assume you mean tomorrow (maintenance monday).

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

Only the one server, and there's the Something Awful Motorcycle Club (Reprobate Originals) on the exile side. Whisper unicoroner or wiggans.

Are there any volunteers to start up the SAMC: Occupying Kings chapter on the Dominion side?

If there is no official SA dominion guild, I'd probably be willing to create one.

How are the faction rules? Can you create for both factions or do you get locked in?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

gently caress yeah, buddy. I assume you mean tomorrow (maintenance monday).

I've forgotten about this for the past 2 Mondays. Every time I get home from work, all ready to play, and I try to login I get the "No realms available" message and I start crying :saddowns:

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

If there is no official SA dominion guild, I'd probably be willing to create one.

How are the faction rules? Can you create for both factions or do you get locked in?

I just realized "Outlaw Kings" would make more sense. Whatever, as long as it spells something stupid. And no, you can create characters for either side.

Doh004 posted:

I've forgotten about this for the past 2 Mondays. Every time I get home from work, all ready to play, and I try to login I get the "No realms available" message and I start crying :saddowns:

you won't be crying anymore when you're riding with SAMCRO. Except on Mondays. I guess not much will change for you, really.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People are getting into the beta that applied after me and also didn't even do the first system and then rubbing it in my face. It makes me sad and frustrated but I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Might have to post in the key begging thread if another month goes by.

Also we are finally getting a dev speak on warplots right? At least thats what the Customization one hinted at.

Toasta
Jan 18, 2006
All shall fade to black.

Asema posted:

People are getting into the beta that applied after me and also didn't even do the first system and then rubbing it in my face. It makes me sad and frustrated but I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Might have to post in the key begging thread if another month goes by.

Also we are finally getting a dev speak on warplots right? At least thats what the Customization one hinted at.

Yeah I've pretty much given up on getting a key at this point (applied for one during PAX East last year). I'm still going to check this game out when it gets released, but until then I've tried to not get too hyped by all the dev streams and media releases.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Mondays are for making .jpgs

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Cephid posted:

They still do, just what would seem very small amounts.

Xun posted:

I haven't received an email from wildstar since November, should I try signing up again?

Why not? It's not exactly like they can extra-not invite you.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

Calihan posted:

They still do, just what would seem very small amounts.

Why not? It's not exactly like they can extra-not invite you.

But what if after waiting ten months I lose my spot in the queue by re-applying??!

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I know you're being facetious, but for those who don't know: There is no queue; it's random with a weight towards people who filled out the Winter survey.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

On the topic of beta access if everyone wants to keep theirs they should read the thread about the new patch in the general forum.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008

Phoix posted:

On the topic of beta access if everyone wants to keep theirs they should read the thread about the new patch in the general forum.

What does it say?

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof

Toasta posted:

Yeah I've pretty much given up on getting a key at this point (applied for one during PAX East last year). I'm still going to check this game out when it gets released, but until then I've tried to not get too hyped by all the dev streams and media releases.

I have given up on waiting for a key as well, but I cant seem to stop myself from being excited. Still, plenty to play in the meantime.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Cocoham posted:

What does it say?

It says something that people with beta access should read and not post publically about because NDA.

:colbert:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cocoham posted:

What does it say?

Good stuff.

Cocoham
Dec 30, 2008
I do have Beta access, I just don't have access to my account right now because of my email. I'll look at it tomorrow I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cocoham posted:

What does it say?

If you aren't level 32 by mid-march you get kicked out of the beta. Or more accurately, you aren't guaranteed a place in the beta if you aren't level 32.

• Locked thread