Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Ozz81 posted:

Not gonna lie, when Quake first came out and EVERYTHING was 3D, I lost my poo poo. That game was wickedly creepy too

All of the true 3D games at the time were amazing to me. It seems really silly now, looking back on old screenshots, but it was more than just the graphics. Everyone chuckled when they spun around a 2D sprite in Doom or Duke3D, but REAL 3D ?! Holy loving poo poo, this is amazing. And when we got to actually making those giant pixels smooth out into a paste of green and browns? loving jackpot! Hell, going from PC speaker boops and beeps in Doom 1+2 and onto Soundblaster cards? That was something else.

It certainly was a different age.

I have no funny picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Went over to the in-laws house for the Super Bowl™ to find out that the guy who's dating their other daughter had insisted he fix their sticky door. So he pulled out the old door and replaced it with this monstrosity. Bad craftsmanship is my favorite.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's just slightly unfinished. I mean he should have finished it probably, but doors usually come as a whole model, and all he has to do is install another few pieces around the seams, and then repaint the wall.

His craftsmanship is fine, it looks to be installed straight as evidenced by the uniform gap size. And if he can get that right I'm sure he's able to complete the cutting and installing of the wood that will surround it.

Edit - it maybe been squeaky for reasons that weren't as simple as "hinges need to be oiled" and rather than repair it in a way that would only temporarily fix it, he decided to replace the whole piece. I've done it quite a few times, this is how they look before the aesthetic pieces go up.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Feb 4, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tumble posted:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's just slightly unfinished. I mean he should have finished it probably, but doors usually come as a whole model, and all he has to do is install another few pieces around the seams, and then repaint the wall.

His craftsmanship is fine, it looks to be installed straight as evidenced by the uniform gap size. And if he can get that right I'm sure he's able to complete the cutting and installing of the wood that will surround it.

Edit - it maybe been squeaky for reasons that weren't as simple as "hinges need to be oiled" and rather than repair it in a way that would only temporarily fix it, he decided to replace the whole piece. I've done it quite a few times, this is how they look before the aesthetic pieces go up.

Yeah, it really just seems to be missing the molding/trim, which presumably is the next step.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

I visited the KL Tower in Malaysia a few years ago and I was surprised that the observation deck had photos hung up of the city on a clear day in case there was smog when you were visiting.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

F-15 Strike Eagle on the Commodore 64 had wireframe 3D for enemy aircraft.

Edit: I no longer know what threads I am posting in thanks to non-topical discussions.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

She's making the same face her tattoo is.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Tumble posted:

I guess that's not the best picture of it. I'm no finished carpenter but I'm pretty sure the gap on the left of the top here is way lower than the one on the right, I know the photo is off angle here which enhances it, but it's straight up uneven.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I guess that's not the best picture of it. I'm no finished carpenter but I'm pretty sure the gap on the left of the top here is way lower than the one on the right, I know the photo is off angle here which enhances it, but it's straight up uneven.

Yea but is the door level?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Or the most important question, does it open and close easily. Most door jams are hosed up and require hours of adjustment proving the door hole itself is not level in the slightest. If the door opens and closes easily, and you don't have to lay on it to engage the deadbolt, its perfect.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

It opens and closes fine but the frame wobbles when you close it because it's only nailed in on the hinged side. The rest of it is kept in position by shims because the rough opening is too hosed up to nail anything to on the latching side.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there a thread for 'lovely construction photos' anywhere on SA? I would read that thread.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Agent355 posted:

Is there a thread for 'lovely construction photos' anywhere on SA? I would read that thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent355 posted:

I believe it was a thread by one time mod Grover.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Agent355 posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It opens and closes fine but the frame wobbles when you close it because it's only nailed in on the hinged side. The rest of it is kept in position by shims because the rough opening is too hosed up to nail anything to on the latching side.

See that is a different story thanyour original picture tells. I also kinda don't believe its "too hosed up to nail anything to", go get some 3in screws and just secure it down.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

I should have figured there would be a better place for it, oh well I'll put up something a bit more on topic.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I should have figured there would be a better place for it, oh well I'll put up something a bit more on topic.

I had this record! I bought it from a flea market what I was a kid and was obsessed with Star Wars.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Go listen to it now in it's 15 minute glory. If you're even remotely a fan of Star Wars then you should listen to this.

https://soundcloud.com/ibear-radio/meco-star-wars-extended

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I had this record! I bought it from a flea market what I was a kid and was obsessed with Star Wars.

I didn't own it as a kid, but it must have been fantastically popular; anyone who does any thrift store record digging in the USA sees this record constantly. Ditto albums by The Longines Symphonette and Ferrante and Teicher.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Grrl Anachronism posted:

She's making the same face her tattoo is.

Aaaand we're back where we started.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I bought the single when it came out. :corsair:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Re: graphicschat, this is a good example of diminishing returns.

And this is a funny graph.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

skinny Lena Dunham?!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

And this is a funny graph.

That graph would be more interesting with the X-axis labelled. Original article is here, apparently, and the X-axis is traffic relative to an average Sunday.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ignoranus posted:

That graph would be more interesting with the X-axis labelled. Original article is here, apparently, and the X-axis is traffic relative to an average Sunday.

That's the Y axis.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Agent355 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7zPiTHjzVI

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

That's the Y axis.
Yea but also the X.

I don't understand the grover thing. I need a bulleted list of what went down. I've seen the video, but it's just a bunch of insulation in a stair case and walls that have studs so I don't get the "load bearing drywall" bit, please help.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Pretty Lady Blob posted:

Re: graphicschat, this is a good example of diminishing returns.

Not exactly, that model originally had less that 60k triangles and they just smoothed it for the last example which makes it looks blurry and undefined. Also polygon count doesn't matter nearly as much as shader quality and post-processing effects. Why am I arguing about this, here is a picture:

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Yea but also the X.

I don't understand the grover thing. I need a bulleted list of what went down. I've seen the video, but it's just a bunch of insulation in a stair case and walls that have studs so I don't get the "load bearing drywall" bit, please help.

It was mostly just those hideous mismatched windows and the weird looking design that goons started riffing on. I don't think there was actually load bearing drywall but everybody was just posting more and more ridiculous stuff about grover's house and it was pretty funny because his house does really look like poo poo and a little bit was true. He put up vinyl siding on the new addition and then immediately melted off a section of it with his grill for example. Also he decided to save money by doing the electrical inspection himself despite not really being a trained electrician or anything, he just legally could because he has a degree in some related field.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Dude put in dozens and dozens of outlets. Like one every couple feet. Ones under cabinets(as in inside them), ones on the wall above cabinets. Waaay more than needed, even had the inspector say "wtf man, take most of these out"!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is the Grover thread in the archives?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude put in dozens and dozens of outlets. Like one every couple feet. Ones under cabinets(as in inside them), ones on the wall above cabinets. Waaay more than needed, even had the inspector say "wtf man, take most of these out"!

the inspector "literally screamed" at him. After failing inspection 11 times, he got a license and signed off on it himself.

EDIT: You know, just click on the banner with his name, that thread tells you all you need to know about the trainwreck that is equivalent-of-a-Major Grover.

Rev. Bleech_ has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Feb 4, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

Whats the danger of having a bunch of outlets?

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

Whats the danger of having a bunch of outlets?

You'll burn your whole loving poo poo down if you actually try to use them all or something like that. I don't really know but it's basical electrician poo poo that grover DIY'ed without a dang clue.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Shut up dorks you talk too loving much and you're boring as poo poo.

Hope this pic isn't huge can't really tell with an app and I can't seem to get the link right

Maytag has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Feb 4, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Maytag posted:

Shut up dorks you talk too loving much and you're boring as poo poo.

Hope this pic isn't huge can't really tell with an app and I can't seem to get the link right

That dog is so loving pissed at some bullshit double standards going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Is that Bill Gates?

• Locked thread