Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

Tom Powers posted:

Is there some trick to getting an account activation email or do they just not send them out?

Been waiting a few days and I haven't been manually activated either. Tried with a few different emails.

I found that for me they did not actually send an e-mail and I was just able to log-in about 3 days later.

Also does anyone wanna start using the CTS mumble to hang-out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

SoggyGravy posted:

How do you get into the guild?

Send a tell to me. Killdozer or Wrex. I can invite. Otherwise find Tanreall/Rant, Sersly, Err, Hubbleflow, Squidbite to get an officer to invite you.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

SoggyGravy posted:

How do you get into the guild?

Pringles posted his ingame name(s) earlier in the thread and said to pm him to get a guild invite. The only other criteria the game puts on you is that you both have to be in the same zone, but that's easy enough if neither of you are busy

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Combo posted:

Pringles posted his ingame name(s) earlier in the thread and said to pm him to get a guild invite. The only other criteria the game puts on you is that you both have to be in the same zone, but that's easy enough if neither of you are busy

On this server it's zone-set. So all of SI, all of frontiers, etc.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

PriNGLeS posted:

On this server it's zone-set. So all of SI, all of frontiers, etc.

That may be how it is on live too and my memory is just shoddy, but either way I always thought it was weird.

Throwback to old thinking I guess

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I grouped with two SMs tonight who both refused to have their pet out because it steals xp. I tried explaining that their pet also intercepts damage but they weren't having any of it. Both pbae :psyduck:

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!

SoggyGravy posted:

I found that for me they did not actually send an e-mail and I was just able to log-in about 3 days later.
Ah, yeah, I was automatically authorized.

Now I'm just getting the error when registering my game account: "The account name [my forum account name] is already registered to the forums." no matter what game account name I pick. Ugh.

Edit: "Reset Game Password" and the temporary password worked. I'm in! Couldn't think of a decent hunter name so I just went with the obligatory Bonedancer name, Bonedaddy.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 4, 2014

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Now I remember what it was like to spend 2 hours getting to level 5. I had forgotten.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax

SERPUS posted:

Now I remember what it was like to spend 2 hours getting to level 5. I had forgotten.

Get in groups. Use /lfg and just say your lvl and class and you should find a group easily. There isn't a real reason to solo without group bonus exp.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

SERPUS posted:

Absolutely never solo on this server. It just took me 11 minutes to get to 5 on a new alt.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
I may need help with some of those quests tomorrow. I did 1/3 of the Ice quest but apparently it's tough to solo blues as a healer w/ grey gear.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
On Saturday I leveled my Healer from 1 to 11 with a bunch of friendly pubbies. I didn't manage to get online on Sunday, so when I logged back in on Monday I found 3 of those pubbies were in their twenties (a RL friends group apparently).

They invited me anyway because my power buff and tiny heals + group bonus made them gain a nice amount of extra exp. And I was also getting great exp.

Never not group on Genesis.

I had also forgotten about the mechanic that unspecced baseline spells had a huge variance. In other games specializing always meant higher damage/healing numbers. But I don't recall ever seeing spells varying to lower numbers when unspecced.
I really dig this mechanic.

I have played so many MMO's over the past decade, and I came to like a couple of them. But none of them have made me care so much about the possibilities that each class had.

Camelot unchained would start with only 4 Archetype classes, I seriously hope they duplicate the same kind of specialization DaoC has, with permanent class defining choices.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002
How are cave/aug shamans on Origins? That used to be my main back in the day, often healing in levelling groups, and it'd be great to hop down nostalgia lane.

How does respeccing work, I seem to remember you had free respecs at 20 and 40, and somehow you got respec stones or something? Seems so long ago...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Heskie posted:

How are cave/aug shamans on Origins? That used to be my main back in the day, often healing in levelling groups, and it'd be great to hop down nostalgia lane.

How does respeccing work, I seem to remember you had free respecs at 20 and 40, and somehow you got respec stones or something? Seems so long ago...

You're probably better off going mostly aug in groups while leveling, I'd say someone is always going to want a shaman. Your spec buffs and mediocre heals will get you into groups easily.

I'm not sure about respecs at 20 and 40 on this server but I assume they exist. Otherwise, raid content drops respec stones and I've seen them in trade going for as low as 100g, so I assume someone is farming the dragon by now.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
You're granted 2 realm and 2 full respecs per character on this server. Then the stones drop quite often.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Too many players are logged in. Please try again later.

... 6 hours later.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

SERPUS posted:

Too many players are logged in. Please try again later.

... 6 hours later.

Seems like the US day time is pretty much off limits since its Euro prime time. I was never able to get on Sunday and I tried periodically all day until it was time to leave for a Superbowl party. Have had no problem getting on after 9 pm central time the last few nights though.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Yeah same. I played for a few hours last night.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SERPUS posted:

Yeah same. I played for a few hours last night.

Hey aren't you the guy who defeated apoc first on Albion in SI beta?

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
Serpus, What realm are you playing on origins? Mid I assume?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Kazvall posted:

Hey aren't you the guy who defeated apoc first on Albion in SI beta?

Yeah, I still have that sword to this day. Its crap compared to the more modern drops, but it sure looks awesome.

nousername posted:

Serpus, What realm are you playing on origins? Mid I assume?

I am on Mid, just not sure what I want to be. I made a hunter and got to level 9 before I realized that we're so far back that bows use arrows and aren't magic skills. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think my account is definitely locked to Midgard now.

SERPUS fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 5, 2014

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Logging in during the day isn't hard if you spam log in. Kinda hard with DaocPortal or the Origins launcher but Mojo launches the client instantly. Takes a dozen tries or so during Euro primetime to log in if you try really fast. Mojo also has some cool features like removing window borders so you can play in fullscreen windowed mode and it can automatically launch into certain characters directly. You can get it here: http://mojoware.org/ but you will need a mod to use it on Origins that someone posted here: http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5441

On the topic of mods I also recommend getting Bob's UI and spending 30 minutes or so tweaking it with the options chooser. If you're a healing class there are some nice unit frames that are far better than the default UI. http://bobsui.koamon.com/downloads.html

An example of what it can look like:

Tomed2000 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 5, 2014

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can someone post info on the Healer epic? I heard it's a long line of quests?

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

SERPUS posted:

Yeah, I still have that sword to this day. Its crap compared to the more modern drops, but it sure looks awesome.

I am on Mid, just not sure what I want to be. I made a hunter and got to level 9 before I realized that we're so far back that bows use arrows and aren't magic skills. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I think my account is definitely locked to Midgard now.

aw I ask cuz I miss you from our stint on live when schepps and I were playing stealthers and we're playing hib on origins now.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I think thats when Neverwinter went live and everyone vanished for a few weeks. I went over to mid and played a really bad shaman.

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
I wish people played alb :(

GIMpy12
Jun 10, 2004

So how come no one plays a thane? Can they really be that bad?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

GIMpy12 posted:

So how come no one plays a thane? Can they really be that bad?

They don't get determination which is pretty huge. Determination decreases the duration of CC by 15% per level with 5 levels available.

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 5, 2014

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007

You are Boobie Bone! I did not realize. Was nice grouping with you guys a few days ago at Fens in Odin's :)

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON
Is anyone interested in rolling Alb with me on origins? Even if it's an alt account?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

SoggyGravy posted:

Is anyone interested in rolling Alb with me on origins? Even if it's an alt account?

You're only allowed 1 realm per person.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Also good tip on using Mojo as a launcher. While the Genesis launcher is of equal speed, it is also at the mercy of their tinkering. Using something like Mojo/Genesis Launcher to get in while the server is full is the way to do it.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Making an alt account can get you banned from the server. They're trying to prevent cross realming.

Found this info dump. It's a bit after ToA but it's the basic nuts and bolts of DAoC which I'm pretty sure didn't change much.
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?25609-Interesting-DAoC-NFO

SoggyGravy
Jul 14, 2008

MAXIMUM
OVERGOON

PriNGLeS posted:

You're only allowed 1 realm per person.

That is rather lame, especially considering that I really enjoy the Alb classes more but like rolling with Goons from time to time.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Tanreall posted:

Making an alt account can get you banned from the server. They're trying to prevent cross realming.

Found this info dump. It's a bit after ToA but it's the basic nuts and bolts of DAoC which I'm pretty sure didn't change much.
http://www.gamemecca.net/forums/showthread.php?25609-Interesting-DAoC-NFO

That's pretty interesting, especially the weapon theorycrafting. I had no idea armors had resists like that, either. I thought it was a flat 10%. i.e. plate was 10% weak to crush.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

SoggyGravy posted:

That is rather lame, especially considering that I really enjoy the Alb classes more but like rolling with Goons from time to time.

Multi-realming is actually one of the big things that sucks with live the few times I've peeked my head in over the last year or two. The masses follow what realm has the relics currently and just zerg everything.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
WvWvW pairing mechanic from Guildwars for me was their greatest contribution to RvR idea's. An auto balancing mechanism over time that pairs (well is 3 a pair?) up servers of similar strength.

If asymmetric classes are too big of a (balancing) challenge for modern gaming, this is the way to go IMO. No server population balance issues.
The only drawback is that you cannot have a nemesis enemy group/guild/player since these would eventually rotate away.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Would any of you be interested in joining an 8 man rvr group?

So far I think we've got a skald, aug healer, RM, and savage. We could use another healer, or two, and a shaman. We've also got room for another DPS or two.

You can message me on here if you're interested, or on Kudos or Kudoss in game.

If we're able to run 3 healers, we'll probably have the RM go Supp for PBT, and we'll just survive forever.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

3 healers is pretty overkill, I'd think you'd want another dps in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Actually from 10 years ago I remember a 3-Healer group to be the terror of the server on Guinevere.

3 Healers, a Shaman, a Skald , a Warrior as main assist and I believe two Zerkers (I think this was pre-SI, not sure).
They didn't care much for Keep defense , but their favourite past time was simply rushing into the AMF zergs (Alb vs Hib) and coming out almost unharmed.

Yes off course this can be countered and all, but it was beautiful.

• Locked thread