Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mammoths aren't elephants, Glenn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Webguy posted:

Record breaking cold? You call that climate change? Ignorant libs.

I know this was a couple of pages ago, but do you think this loving imbecile realized he actually literally AGC'd his own drat cartoon?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

So normally Christie would scare off scandals? Doesn't make sense, the scandals are what made him not scary. Waste of a decent metaphor with that label. If anything the birds would be his political opponents.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CampingCarl posted:

So normally Christie would scare off scandals? Doesn't make sense, the scandals are what made him not scary. Waste of a decent metaphor with that label. If anything the birds would be his political opponents.

No its more that because of his popularity it'd scare off the scandals that were already circling.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Biden is just having so much fun :3:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wuerker is usually liberal, so it's odd that in this instance immigration reform is presented as something the Dems and the GOP would be smart to avoid.

It works: there are Polar Bear clubs comprised of people who are ballsy or whacked enough to dive into ice cold water in swim trunks before retreating back to land where there's hot cocoa, beer, and hopped up colleagues (male and female). It's something that seems impossible or suicidal but is over quickly and has a very enjoyable aftermath. Looking too far into it: it's a Delayed Gratification Cartoon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Heh, "science". :smug:

I cannot find a single reputable source on his claim. I think it's referencing a report from a geology professor at the prestigious Western Washington University. But I'm getting a bunch of links to nutbag 1990's style websites so it's probably true.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 4, 2014

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

colonel_korn posted:

Did they too get to the Olympics using Dogecoin?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

zoux posted:

I cannot find a single reputable source on his claim. I think it's referencing a report from a geology professor at the prestigious Western Washington University. But I'm getting a bunch of links to nutbag 1990's style websites so it's probably true.

zoux posted:

reputable source

What on earth makes you think they look for anything other than someone in a lab coat that agrees with them?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Bobsled... going off a ski jump... :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Filthy Haiku posted:

What on earth makes you think they look for anything other than someone in a lab coat that agrees with them?

I don't it's just irritating that they can dismiss literally thousands of scientific studies and analyses that show a strong anthropogenic warming trend and then find one study that says differently and suddenly they believe in studies, well that one at least. Yes yes, my deep cynicism should inoculate me from that but sometimes it doesn't work ok!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

colonel_korn posted:

The deficit under Obama has been plunging dramatically, AGC

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Stultus Maximus posted:

Most people don't actually understand what a deficit is though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

I know it's about DEBT but haven't we slashed the deficit like the fastest it's been cut over a period of time since WWII or something?

Not that it would stop 7oden's or anyone else's bitching about it, but still.

Sometimes I imagine a world where the US is not in debt and does not run an annual deficit- what would Ramirez label large things as? Would he start cranking out Any Day Now cartoons, but with DEBT?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Stultus Maximus posted:

This is totally inaccurate propaganda.

Need to add in the emergency appropriations bills to it.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Stultus Maximus posted:

But the national debt is still going uuuUUUUPUOEUIOEIJ :unsmigghh:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

LashLightning posted:

Well, it's slightly more accurate than what conservative cartoonists thought how bongs work, I'll give him that.

Please do not timg my favorite cartoon ever, it's majesty must be seen in full to appreciate it's subtle nuances

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

loquacius posted:

So I was thinking about this some more, and y'know, it strikes me that the NSA thing would have been the perfect catastrophic event to permanently stain Obama's legacy if the right hadn't already earmarked Benghazi for that. They were too impatient and sure of Romney's victory to wait for something from Obama's second term, and then too worried about Hillary's chances in 2016 to abandon Benghazi as a talking point even when a clearly-superior scandal came along. Now they're stuck in a boy-who-cried-wolf scenario, where "NSA" is just the third bullet point on a list otherwise populated solely with things nobody else cares about. They hosed up BAD.

I don't think this is the case- a substantial amount of the NSA stuff started under Bush, and it would cut too hard against the hawkish Republican base to attack NSA activities. Focusing on the NSA only really works from a libertarian standpoint, and the GOP can't safely make that shift and remain intact.

This is setting aside the problematic complexity of the actual criticisms of NSA activity, Snowden, etc.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 4, 2014

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Please do not timg my favorite cartoon ever, it's majesty must be seen in full to appreciate it's subtle nuances

Seriously :allears: In a way it's kind of a shame that Babby Dials seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. At least we'll always have this and "Climaquiddick".

In other news, you guys will never guess what Eric Allie is mad about right now:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Augster posted:

Standard Gorrell laziness, but worth noting that he took out Robert E. Lee's statue and put in a black man.

I know this is more or less the height of lazy craftsmanship but this might be my favorite Gorrell ever. I loving despise that statue of Robert E. Lee because I have to drive by that traitorous ratfuck all the time so it's nice to see an otherwise poo poo-for-brains conservative replace him with a black feller. Plus since it's about football it's way less offensive then Gorrell's usual dreck.

If he did local political cartoons I think I'd die of a rage-induced stroke.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

colonel_korn posted:

Seriously :allears: In a way it's kind of a shame that Babby Dials seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth. At least we'll always have this and "Climaquiddick".

In other news, you guys will never guess what Eric Allie is mad about right now:

Man, I'd buy that song on iTunes.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

colonel_korn posted:

No joke, I'd vote for Obama over and over if I could. It's not like we got anything that much better on the horizon, and seeing the GOP fall apart in a frothing "YouR'RE the REAl RacIstssSsssSssSSSSssss..." is a loving delight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fandyien posted:

I know this is more or less the height of lazy craftsmanship but this might be my favorite Gorrell ever. I loving despise that statue of Robert E. Lee because I have to drive by that traitorous ratfuck all the time so it's nice to see an otherwise poo poo-for-brains conservative replace him with a black feller. Plus since it's about football it's way less offensive then Gorrell's usual dreck.

If he did local political cartoons I think I'd die of a rage-induced stroke.

Is there an RE Lee statue in Seattle or something?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

zoux posted:

Is there an RE Lee statue in Seattle or something?

Richmond, VA. I think that guy is from here, a few players on the winning team are Richmonders.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

If everyone calls you an rear end in a top hat racist, maybe they have a point.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Fandyien posted:

Richmond, VA. I think that guy is from here, a few players on the winning team are Richmonders.
We're the state that has Lee Jackson Day as a holiday. And, for a period, we actually had combined that holiday with Martin Luther King Jr. Day :negative:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

We're the state that has Lee Jackson Day as a holiday. And, for a period, we actually had combined that holiday with Martin Luther King Jr. Day :negative:

That's how it is in Mississippi. Every year, everyone's Facebook fills up with "Happy Robert E Lee Day!" or "Happy MLK Day!" and never both, and it's the Civil War all over again, but on Facebook.

And the Robert E Lee guys have no idea what's wrong with that, or why it only became a thing after MLK day became a thing. I mean, their birthday's are like a day apart or something, but still.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The south will rise again
10 minutes ago

my mechanic nephew is coming today to fix my scooter
3h ago

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Rorus Raz posted:

Isn't it called "Lee-Jackson-King Day"? Nice of them to put MLK there at the end and all.

Augster
Aug 5, 2011

XyloJW posted:

That's how it is in Mississippi. Every year, everyone's Facebook fills up with "Happy Robert E Lee Day!" or "Happy MLK Day!" and never both, and it's the Civil War all over again, but on Facebook.

And the Robert E Lee guys have no idea what's wrong with that, or why it only became a thing after MLK day became a thing. I mean, their birthday's are like a day apart or something, but still.

My local dump is closed on "Lee-Jackson-King Day," which says a bit about how slowly rural VA changes.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

XyloJW posted:

No, we always celebrated Robert E Lee day just like the Rebel Flag was always on our state flags and none of this was reinserted to fight against desegregation nope not a bit. People like you are the real racists.

PS: The pledge of allegiance always had "Under God" in it :911:

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The Bors joke is that you have to separate art from the artist or else you'll never be able to enjoy anything because human beings are lovely. That's the joke. It's not complicated.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

killhamster posted:

Isn't it called "Lee-Jackson-King Day"? Nice of them to put MLK there at the end and all.

I don't think we call it that anymore. I hope we don't, anyway. Richmond, however, is totally replete with monuments to the confederates. Monument avenue has like five of them (the only non-awful statue is one of Arthur Ashe and it's a terrible statue, stylistically) and there was a minor kerfuffle recently over putting a Lincoln statue up at Tredegar ironworks, which was one of the major centers of confederate industry.

The bonus to living here though is that you can get wasted and take a leak on Jefferson Davis's grave when you're a teenager.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Fandyien posted:

I don't think we call it that anymore. I hope we don't, anyway. Richmond, however, is totally replete with monuments to the confederates. Monument avenue has like five of them (the only non-awful statue is one of Arthur Ashe and it's a terrible statue, stylistically) and there was a minor kerfuffle recently over putting a Lincoln statue up at Tredegar ironworks, which was one of the major centers of confederate industry.

The bonus to living here though is that you can get wasted and take a leak on Jefferson Davis's grave when you're a teenager.

I lived in the bad part of RVA and hope to never return there. Nice to hear that the holiday might be a little less awful though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I'm a WWU grad :negative: Can you link me to the study? I took a Geography class my freshman year where the professor said there was a satellite that observed global cooling for some time, I want to see if it's the same professor. He did say there were some inaccuracies and it shouldn't change the fact that humans are over-polluting.

edit: you're probably referring to Don Easterbrook. Nevermind, didn't have him.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

killhamster posted:

I lived in the bad part of RVA and hope to never return there. Nice to hear that the holiday might be a little less awful though.

Richmond has really improved over the past decade. You should come back and visit sometime, crime is at an all time low, immigrant populations are up in the suburbs, and there's all kinds of revitalizing stuff going on downtown. Obviously it still has horrible parts but there's been a concerted effort by the city to improve things for our poorest constituents and all kinds of history stuff is happening now. Mostly I'm happy with all these things because they owe a lot to our strong black middle class which is a fantastic "gently caress you" to the neo-confederate troglodytes squatting on city limits.

There's even an effort underway to build a museum down in the bottom where so many slaves passed through.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Killhamster posted:

Well, back of the bus and all that...

MrUnderbridge fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 5, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lady Naga posted:

The Bors joke is that you have to separate art from the artist or else you'll never be able to enjoy anything because human beings are lovely. That's the joke. It's not complicated.

Indeed. It's a good one. I come down firmly on the side that Woody Allen abused his daughter and Roman Polanski should be in prison, but that doesn't stop me from considering Hannah and Her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Chinatown great movies. To be honest, seeing OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun movies doesn't even bother me. Tom Cruise is a horrible person and one of my favorite actors. Unfortunately, a lot of artists are terrible people, and you can choose to let that dictate what you enjoy, or practice a little cognitive dissonance.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Spatula City posted:

Indeed. It's a good one. I come down firmly on the side that Woody Allen abused his daughter and Roman Polanski should be in prison, but that doesn't stop me from considering Hannah and Her Sisters, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors, and Chinatown great movies. To be honest, seeing OJ Simpson in the Naked Gun movies doesn't even bother me. Tom Cruise is a horrible person and one of my favorite actors. Unfortunately, a lot of artists are terrible people, and you can choose to let that dictate what you enjoy, or practice a little cognitive dissonance.

The ability to enjoy a thing without endorsing a thing is something that escapes so many people it is stunning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalixK
Aug 12, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Doesn't OJ's character go through a ton of abuse in those movies? I'd figure they'd be even better after what all went down with him.

• Locked thread