Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Quidnose posted:

Son of a bitch, that poo poo is awesome. I am a choir teacher, I hella want that. Why must there be region locking :(

Case swapping is painful, but possible. It's significantly easier if you have a DS whose hinge matches the one there already; you just have to swap the battery backing (which is already meant to be removed by the user and is only held in place by a pair of screws) and the back of the top screen (which is a little bit more difficult, but is ultimately a couple of screws and a bunch of internal plastic slide-lock tabs). For the latter, it wouldn't take you more than an hour or two to swap the case over.

...if that was really something you wanted to do. You could probably for easier and cheaper get a custom vinyl decal with a similar-or-identical image on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kin posted:

This is what i've been using. http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=3ds&cat=0&year=0&numrev=1&sort=0&letter=&search=

Just working my way from top to bottom, skipping over things i might not be that interested in like pushmo or pokemon.
Pushmo/Pullblox is brilliant, what the hell is wrong with you people.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

After listening to this, I really want the early adopter GBA games. Is there any chance of those turning up on the eShop?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Awesome! posted:

gross. a "kingdom hearts is ©Disney" in the print that's already on the back would have been way better but also less dickish so they probably didn't even think of it

Gotta protect those trademarks! (c)GreenBuckanneer

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

a_big_dog posted:

After listening to this, I really want the early adopter GBA games. Is there any chance of those turning up on the eShop?
I think the WiiU is expected to get GBA games, there is no real confirmation whether the 3DS eShop will get them. Apparently Nintendo had a problem developing the GBA emulator for the 3DS, although there have been some posts recently about them announcing that they had a "breakthrough".

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

BeanBandit posted:

I get periodic buzzing in my speakers when it's turned up all the way. I assume it's because the 3DS's speakers are kind of terrible, not because it's defective. Were your speakers "crackly" all the time or something? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth sending in for repairs.

Yeah I figured as such but it was mad annoying so I wanted to just go through with it and find out myself and now they're more or less perfect. I did have to send it in twice, though. But hey now I've had it for a while with 0 issues so I'd say it was worth it

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

I think the WiiU is expected to get GBA games, there is no real confirmation whether the 3DS eShop will get them. Apparently Nintendo had a problem developing the GBA emulator for the 3DS, although there have been some posts recently about them announcing that they had a "breakthrough".

Which probably means they finally got an extra intern to dedicate to that job.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So even though I read about this happening I couldn't figure out exactly when it was going to happen: the Virtue's Last Reward bug which wipes out your save.

Is there a way I could download and throw on my SD card a new save?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I don't understand how this is possible when even the DS can play N64 games and make them look better than the original N64 versions.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Bundles like the Mario and Luigi Dream Team bundle that say the game is pre-installed, do they come with the game cart as well or will they credit your account (when you make one) with owning the game (so you can re-download)?

I mean, can you lose that bundled game accidentally, if you delete it from the card?

edit: VVV Thanks very much.

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 5, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hydrocodone posted:

Bundles like the Mario and Luigi Dream Team bundle that say the game is pre-installed, do they come with the game cart as well or will they credit your account (when you make one) with owning the game (so you can re-download)?

I mean, can you lose that bundled game accidentally, if you delete it from the card?

I'm told you're able to redownload it if need be.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Hydrocodone posted:

The license to download the game is tied to the console, so if you need to re-download it for whatever reason, you can. You don't have an "account" as such, although you can make a Nintendo Network ID and tie it to the console also.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand how this is possible when even the DS can play N64 games and make them look better than the original N64 versions.

The DS can't play N64 games.

I'm guessing you're refering to Mario 64 and the like, but that's a DS rom. Emulation is not that easy.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

So even though I read about this happening I couldn't figure out exactly when it was going to happen: the Virtue's Last Reward bug which wipes out your save.

Is there a way I could download and throw on my SD card a new save?

Not really (at least I believe so, I could be wrong), but avoiding saving the puzzle rooms. That is where the problem is. If you have the digital version, they "fix" the problem by disabling to save during the those parts.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Do all 3ds xl have a garbage hinge? The 2nd widest angle has a 5-10 degree range of motion. It's like I'm using an extremely cheap laptop.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Pokebank is live if you haven't been checking the Pokemon Megathread lately.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

SgtKirby posted:

Not really (at least I believe so, I could be wrong), but avoiding saving the puzzle rooms. That is where the problem is. If you have the digital version, they "fix" the problem by disabling to save during the those parts.

So I lost eight hours?

*tosses game in the "Will play again someday" pile*

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It sucks but you can just do another path and by the time you hit the content you already did you can just skip past the text and auto enter the puzzle solutions since you already know them. That's what I ended up having to do at least.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It sucks but you can just do another path and by the time you hit the content you already did you can just skip past the text and auto enter the puzzle solutions since you already know them. That's what I ended up having to do at least.

I'll probably keep playing and just not save ever again. Because I knew about the bug and thought I didn't save where they said not to.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I'll probably keep playing and just not save ever again. Because I knew about the bug and thought I didn't save where they said not to.

You can save literally anywhere, just don't do it in a room escape segment.

And if you absolutely have to, just make sure it isn't the PEC Room because that's the one that seems to cause it almost every time.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Do not do this. I did that and the game crashed right at the end of a path at the save prompt :argh:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Remember that the flowchart allows you go to any segment you've already done at any time. You can jump back in time to when you're in the hallway or warehouse and safely save there, then instantly jump back to your puzzle room of choice or wherever. This still means it's ideal to complete each puzzle in one "go" but that part should be elementary.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Here's a pretty funny viral video for Bravely Default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JyGhbsPp4

EDIT: Default isn't funny but Brave is, not surprisingly

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just always save before going in a puzzle room.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

Dehry posted:

Pokebank is live if you haven't been checking the Pokemon Megathread lately.

This for USA goons or PAL goons?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Talen_Soti posted:

This for USA goons or PAL goons?

Both.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Regy Rusty posted:

Just always save before going in a puzzle room.

I'm trying to remember back when I saved and I'm positive I saved after an AB Game. Maybe not. Ah well. Just really sucks. The last few days have been nothing but Virtue.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MeruFM posted:

Do all 3ds xl have a garbage hinge? The 2nd widest angle has a 5-10 degree range of motion. It's like I'm using an extremely cheap laptop.

It varies. Two of my friends have xls and my hinge is noticeably tighter than both of theirs.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I just bought a used 3DS XL the other day and the hinge is pretty loose at each of the 3 snap points. I'll chalk it up to use I guess.

I have a question as a new 3DS owner: What's the difference between StreetPass and SpotPass? Most of the default apps I open ask me if I want to activate both, not really sure of the differences between the two.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5JyGhbsPp4

EDIT: Default isn't funny but Brave is, not surprisingly

I didn't really think either one was very funny, but man what a bizarre advertisement. I can't imagine anyone seeing that and saying "man, I sure would like to play that game."

Kuai
May 25, 2004
God damnit I want a 3DSXL so bad but refuse to get one thats not equally as cool looking as the OoT 3DS. Japan now has 2 cool looking ones (black Charizard and now the FF Theatrythm Curtain Call) that are region locked :negative:.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yup.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

MeruFM posted:

It's not a flaw, it's a design choice. Yours is normal.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It appears that taking the Default path is better judging from the commercial.

Neat idea, but kinda fails on demonstrating the mechanism behind the battle system.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

About the only thing I can see in those videos that's relevant to the game is how the guy steps into a dangerous area and immediately gets his rear end kicked by a cat, and that only happens in the demo

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
There has only ever been one good commercial for an RPG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d15qmRzn2Pc

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

There has only ever been one good commercial for an RPG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv1PJtszhBE

Fixed that for you!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

ookiimarukochan posted:

Fixed that for you!

No, because the Legend of Zelda games are in the action-adventure genre :colbert:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
NO, STOP IT RIGHT NOW WE'RE NOT DOING THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shovel Knight apparently is going to have a weird asynchronous multiplayer minigame included:

Polygon posted:

The 3DS, meanwhile, will offer a more competitive experience with the StreetPass Arena (another name Velasco says is tentative). For these levels, players will record five-second clips, which are then used against other player's recorded gameplay during a pass. These pre-recorded scuffles will require players to either collect gems or hit the opposing Shovel Knight with whatever strategy they've recorded. Once the StreetPass battle is over, you'll be able to watch the recorded battle and revise your moves. Velasco compared it to a game of rock-paper-scissors, but with a little more strategy.

"We've done it, and it's just ridiculous," Velasco said. "There are some goals that you're all going for, but you don't know what the other player is doing. You don't know which gem they're going to go for first. You don't know if they're going to use a weapon ... It's just craziness because you do it in these little five second rounds, and you do three rounds over and over. And then it's just done."

Players who emerge victorious from these passive scuffles will receive gold. Those on the losing end will have the chance to rework their strategy.

Shovel Knight is expected to launch March 31 for Linux, Mac, Nintendo 3DS, Wii U and Windows PC.

• Locked thread