Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
So how big is the TFR over NJ/met life today? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

So how big is the TFR over NJ/met life today? :v:

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_4_4756.html
Is this it? Doesn't look too insane.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

"Aren't all deals close calls?" Come on, really?

Most aircraft in my airspace have TCAS that is good enough right?

Or... sit here and do what I am paid to do. Seperate known traffic -> get pilots what they want -> make fun of my boss.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

The Slaughter posted:

LASIK update: dr said I should be fine to fly. 20/15 in both eyes and I was able to read 3/4 of the letters on the 20/10 line.

Nice. I wish I could get lasik but I'd still need glasses afterwards :/

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Why? Huge correction?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Minclark posted:

Of course not.

quote:

Or... sit here and do what I am paid to do. Seperate known traffic -> get pilots what they want -> make fun of my boss.

Sounds like a good plan.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Minclark posted:

Nope

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That wouldn't have happened if both aircraft followed the TCAS recommendation.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Sitting on a taxiway... Marooned... Bored out of my mind in a Delta 737 in Atlanta, Georgia

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Sitting on a taxiway... Marooned... Bored out of my mind in a Delta 737 in Atlanta, Georgia

You wouldn't be the first person to be stranded in Atlanta this week.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

kmcormick9 posted:

You wouldn't be the first person to be stranded in Atlanta this week.

And not the first to be Marooned because of a snowstorm Either.

Edit: to elaborate, I was traveling home from RDU to JFK via Delta. Got bounced off of 4 separate flights until finding one (via stopover in ATL) the flight to ATL was fine, had the hold for ATC clearance and then had a non eventful flight + landing. And then the trouble began. Sat for 2hr awaiting a gate to open. Got a 737 stuck in a snowbank, made it to a gate (after lighting both engines and going to FULL POWAH), and then the jetway got stuck for another 45 mins

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 4, 2014

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

The Slaughter posted:

Why? Huge correction?

That and prism. Eyes don't point the right way anymore.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Passed the oral for my Q400 type rating this morning.

I get a couple days off and then it's on to the sims for about 2 weeks, then a couple weeks of IOE, and hopefully I'll be turned loose on the unsuspecting public by mid-late March...

gigButt
Oct 22, 2008
That is awesome! Congrats on getting hired and getting to train at the professional level. Enjoy!

How do you like the Q400? Much to learn?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

gigButt posted:

That is awesome! Congrats on getting hired and getting to train at the professional level. Enjoy!

How do you like the Q400? Much to learn?

The systems are pretty simple and the avionics are relatively straightforward, but there are a considerable number of "WTF?" things on the airplane that mostly stem from it having a common type rating with the 1,2 and 300 Dash 8's.

As an example, the GPWS system requires a separate knob to tell it what flap setting you're using on landing, and the autopilot doesn't have a rudder axis, so any power changes or turns with the autopilot engaged require rudder input from the pilot and resetting the rudder trim. The airplanes I'll be flying have a lot of cool technology on them (HUD's, dual FMS's, and approval for RNP .1 approaches), and there's enough power on the airframe that the airplane climbs quite well on one engine.

The two negative things I've been heard about the airplane are that the climate control system does a terrible job of heating the cockpit, and the autofeather system can catch pilots off guard because it causes the airplane to initially yaw towards the good engine as the failed propeller is going through the feathering cycle. On the ground it's not an issue, but it's not uncommon for people to end up with 90 degree + heading changes the first couple of times an engine is failed just after liftoff in the sim.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

azflyboy posted:

As an example, the GPWS system requires a separate knob to tell it what flap setting you're using on landing

This is pretty normal. The 737 is really bizarre in that flaps 15, 30, and 40 are all normal landing settings but only 15 requires a GPWS override. The A320 series has a switch for flaps 3 landings, but weirdly I've never seen a crew landing flaps 3 use it :iiam:

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Interesting.

The Q400 requires that knob to be used for any of the normal landing flap settings to keep the GPWS happy, but I'd been under the impression that other aircraft only required an override for landings reduced flap settings.

There are also some oddball things like a caution light for the AHARS system being colored green (no one is sure what the logic behind that is), and a couple of buttons in the cockpit that do nothing because they go to systems that are turned on and off automatically by temperature or pressure sensors, regardless of what the switch position in the cockpit might be.

brendanwor
Sep 7, 2005

azflyboy posted:

Interesting.

The Q400 requires that knob to be used for any of the normal landing flap settings to keep the GPWS happy, but I'd been under the impression that other aircraft only required an override for landings reduced flap settings.

Indeed, that's the case with the Saab 340, just flick the GPWS OVRD switch.

azflyboy posted:

the autopilot doesn't have a rudder axis, so any power changes or turns with the autopilot engaged require rudder input from the pilot and resetting the rudder trim.

This is pretty weird though. If you don't use the rudder during turns/power changes does the aircraft go much out of balance?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So how obnoxious is the ATP written?

Bought the Sheppard Air study material, so time to knock this sucker out.

Also, any latest and greatest on if it's worth getting a 737 type rating when doing the practical, or just go for the cheapest possible?

xaarman fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 6, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So a student pilot forgot to completely latch the door in our Cessna 162 SkyCatcher and the door opened then ripped off in flight.

That's cool.

Thank GOD it wasn't me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Captain Apollo posted:

So a student pilot forgot to completely latch the door in our Cessna 162 SkyCatcher and the door opened then ripped off in flight.

That's cool.

Thank GOD it wasn't me.

Jesus. THank god I don't fly a plane with a door.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Is
DOOR: LATCHED
not on the checklist?

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Cessna has two latches on that door apparently for that very reason. The 'regular' latch is very apparent. You just move the slide forward and it's in the latched position.

The second one is completely unknown at all and if it hadn't been for somebody else showing me I never would have seen it.

Here's a youtube video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNxb8WVfU1Q

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 6, 2014

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

brendanwor posted:

Indeed, that's the case with the Saab 340, just flick the GPWS OVRD switch.

This is pretty weird though. If you don't use the rudder during turns/power changes does the aircraft go much out of balance?

It will indeed, especially with how long the airplane is. On some RNP approaches that involve turns inside the FAF, the autopilot gets the airplane uncoordinated enough that it will go full scale on the CDI unless the pilot applies rudder.

xaarman posted:

Very.

A huge percentage of the questions are either horribly outdated (several of the approach plates predate the current Denver airport opening in the early 90's) or staggeringly irrelevant, so you'll just memorize the answers for them instead of learning anything. The cross country questions are stupidly specific (the three answers for a 2+ hour flight will be two minutes apart), so just memorize the tables that Sheppard
provides for those.

Poise
Jul 28, 2006

xaarman posted:

Bought the Sheppard Air study material, so time to knock this sucker out.

Also, any latest and greatest on if it's worth getting a 737 type rating when doing the practical, or just go for the cheapest possible?

Hey bro.

I bought sheppard air on a Tuesday, crammed on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, and got a 100% on the test on Saturday. Its not that bad if you have the time to cram (I did about 5 hours a day after work, from like 5 - 11 pm at night including about an hour for dicking around and eating). I'm doing the type at the same time, but I'm not the one paying for it :p

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

That's cool.

Thank GOD it wasn't me.

Where is the GoPro footage of that? drat.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Jesus. THank god I don't fly a plane with a door.

DA20 is worse - the canopy would be a spectacular speedbrake.

Also, I heard you getting chewed out for being late. That was pretty funny. I was fighting the urge to walk over and be like "cut him some lack, bro."

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
A door popping open in flight isn't too much of a big deal in the smaller cessnas, other than it can get pretty cold in winter. When I was doing my PPL one of the 152's would do it pretty frequently.

Now most of the things I fly regularly can have the doors opened or canopy opened in flight.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Desi posted:

Also, I heard you getting chewed out for being late. That was pretty funny. I was fighting the urge to walk over and be like "cut him some lack, bro."

Fun fact, the chewing out was more because I didn't call and let him know I'd be "late" (I was there 10 minutes before my booking). I usually am either an hour early, or I call when I will be late.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Colonel K posted:

A door popping open in flight isn't too much of a big deal in the smaller cessnas, other than it can get pretty cold in winter. When I was doing my PPL one of the 152's would do it pretty frequently.

Now most of the things I fly regularly can have the doors opened or canopy opened in flight.

Yeah apparently in a Skycatcher it's pretty severe. Great design, Cessna.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've never had a door open, but I have had a window in a 150 come unlatched. It makes a loud noise, and it gets windy inside. :v:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah apparently in a Skycatcher it's pretty severe. Great design, Cessna.

The airplane had to be going around 55-75kts. Is that really enough speed to rip off a door to an airplane?

The answer is yes.

The problem here is that the 162 is unlike literally every other airplane I've ever seen. It has a gull wing type door where - when open - the door is right below the bottom of the wing.

I believe the story is 1 latch was done, the easily identifiable one, but there is a secondary latch Cessna put on these just for this kind of circumstance that was not 'enabled.' It's very easy to miss and I only know about it because they told me about it. Almost like a Cherokee has 2 latches, one door and one up above at the top.

Anyway - apparently is SLAMMED up and smacked the hell out of the bottom pilot side wing, then went away.

I seriously wish there was video. According to my CFI buddy 'It was over before it started.'

8000.........wow.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My very first flight at UND as a student the door on the PA28 opened on takeoff. A couple years later flying a rented C172 the side window flew open and banged against the wing.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Desi posted:

It would be a speedbrake for an exceptionally short period of time. But probably a lot harder to fail t notice the canopy being unlatched than a door.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've never had a door open on me during flight, but I have during taxi or runup. My friend had a door in a 172 open during flight and he lost a bunch of sectionals and his sunglasses and possibly some other stuff. Other than that it's basically a non-issue in a Cessna 1xy for values of x != 6

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008
I opened a door intentionally on my student to see if he would do the checklist. This was in an Archer though

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I opened a door intentionally on my student to see if he would do the checklist. This was in an Archer though

So you were in the Danger Zone?

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
It's a non-event on Pipers, I had one open on me when the top latch didn't quite latch. Just concentrated on flying the plane, climbed to pattern, came back and landed full stop. No adverse pressures or anything.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

Stupid Post Maker posted:

I know for a fact when my students don't do the pre-takeoff checklist (they just read it) when they'll say the doors are latched and then I hear a whistling sound in the pattern from the left side of the 172 :v:

Also, headset chat: just bought the Dave Clark PRO-X and they're surprisingly awesome. ANR, bluetooth, TSO'd AND they cost half as much as the BOSE A20s :yayclod:

Butt Reactor fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Butt Reactor posted:

I know for a fact when my students don't do the pre-takeoff checklist (they just read it) when they'll say the doors are latched and then I hear a whistling sound in the pattern from the left side of the 172 :v:

Also, headset chat: just bought the Dave Clark PRO-X and they're surprisingly awesome. ANR, bluetooth, TSO'd AND they cost half as much as the BOSE A20s :yayclod:

Are those the ones that are on ear? I've been eyeballing a set of those for a while.

• Locked thread