Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Taint Reaper posted:

At this point I think any random bumfuck nation in North Africa could handle the Olympics better. Hell they could even provide lions for gladiator matches.

VUVUVELLA

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ZombieReagan posted:

Let's hold Winter Olympics in subtropical resort city, do not worry Russia is very modern country!

*fails to get water to not be contaminated in hotels, ceilings are made of tarps, stray dogs roam everywhere*

$51 billion US Dollars

Lets be honest here, a lot of that $51 billion dollars went into Putin's secret piggy bank, and that hasn't even taken into account his oligarch friends doing the same.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

so this is probably the cheapest olympics cool

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I bet Dubai could pull off a Winter Olympics.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

NoneSuch posted:

so this is probably the cheapest olympics cool

Murrica' should take notes on such an amazing feat in austerity. The Russians quite literally built all this poo poo in Sochi on a shoestring budget, lmbo.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

Agrajag posted:

Murrica' should take notes on such an amazing feat in austerity. The Russians quite literally built all this poo poo in Sochi on a shoestring budget, lmbo.

and literally out of shoestrings (and tarps)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Spent a months wage per household in Russia. Nice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

Be sure to tell your bookie this before July 31, 2015. You'll probably make a bundle!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
e: wrong thread

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Entropic posted:

Dubai indoor ski centre.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

The Kins posted:

Be sure to tell your bookie this before July 31, 2015. You'll probably make a bundle!

The World Islands finally make sense!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Who was that mod who boned dogs? I feel like he would be doing great in Sochi.

Motley
Nov 1, 2013
Every time I see a gif or picture of some insane poo poo going on in Russia I always assume that it can't really be like that everywhere.

I guess it is like that everywhere.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

This cereal is the bomb

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

fatherboxx posted:

the codes and norms are actually alright, very strict and clear, it is just
1) people who were planning the buildings hosed up in a rush ("oh no, I misclicked something in AutoCAD but the deadline was a week ago so welp")
2) the organisations approving the constuction design were either bribed up or threatened ("look, Petr Alekseevich, the deadline is yesterday, can we just stamp the poo poo these engineers are pros honestly"), and, finally,
3) on the construction site everyone blindly follows the designs: the Tajikistan workers can't read them, the foreman drunk himself to death and the chief engineer is too busy playing World of Tanks or filling reports, so you have escheresque buildings as the result.

i am a legal counsel in a Russian civil engineering company, not connected to Sochi, sadly, but I'll be sure to hit my buddies in the construction that worked there for some awesome horror stories

so you could say they were russian it

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Agrajag posted:

Lets be honest here, a lot of that $51 billion dollars went into Putin's secret piggy bank, and that hasn't even taken into account his oligarch friends doing the same.

I find it interesting that despite all of the international scrutiny and speculation, there hasn't been one direct piece of evidence of any corruption whatsoever. Nobody has come forward saying they were bribed, nobody was caught on camera taking suitcases of cash. You would think that if there was all of this "corruption" of $51billions USD, that there would be some evidence of this somewhere. A piece of paper, a photo, something. I find this troubling, don't you?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Germstore posted:

Spent a months wage per household in Russia. Nice.
If the US doesn't match Russia in spending as a proportion of GDP the next time they have a big event like this, I'll be sorely disappointed. Just imagine how much Olympics $400 billion could buy.

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut

Vladimir Putin posted:

I find it interesting that despite all of the international scrutiny and speculation, there hasn't been one direct piece of evidence of any corruption whatsoever. Nobody has come forward saying they were bribed, nobody was caught on camera taking suitcases of cash. You would think that if there was all of this "corruption" of $51billions USD, that there would be some evidence of this somewhere. A piece of paper, a photo, something. I find this troubling, don't you?

At first I was leaning towards the corruption narrative, but you've convinced me.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

http://businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-02/the-2014-winter-olympics-in-sochi-cost-51-billion

quote:

“They’re digging up the road here, they’re digging up the road there,” he said. “The road gets sealed today, then dug up tomorrow. They put down asphalt and then in a week rip it up all over again.” He let out a laugh, then pulled his face tight. “It would be funny, if it wasn’t happening with our money.”

quote:

Another person in the construction business says he was offered a contract, potentially worth millions of dollars, to lay a water line at an Olympic site. The officials at the state body awarding the contract weren’t interested in whether he had the necessary resources for such a large job or would do quality work—the only question was whether he was willing to pay 20 percent back to them. A third construction boss says he was invited to carry out work on transport infrastructure. As the officials offering the job spelled it out, the contract would be worth 250 million rubles ($7.7 million) on paper, but he would only actually receive 170 million rubles—the officials, presumably, would pocket the difference.

quote:

The job was to oversee reconstruction of part of a government-owned sanitarium. There was a catch: An official at the Office of Presidential Affairs in charge of construction, Vladimir Leshchevsky, informed Morozov that as part of the arrangement Morozov was to turn over 12 percent of project funds to him, in bags of cash. Morozov says he informed law enforcement officers, but they told him to wait while they thought up a plan of action.

In early 2009, Morozov heard talk that he was going to be removed from the job—and maybe even “toughly,” which could mean his equipment and offices would be seized. At this, Morozov went back to the security services and told them it was time to help—otherwise, he would have no choice but to file a formal public complaint and raise a scandal. Police dispatched a team of operatives to work with him, but they said they could open an official case only after Morozov produced hard evidence of the extortion scheme. When Leshchevsky demanded a payment of 15 million rubles, they told Morozov to go through with it—but he would have to put up the cash himself. Morozov took out some money he and his wife were planning on using to buy his son a dacha. He documented the handoffs with a small camera hidden in his belt.
For the last exchange, Morozov proposed the two men meet at a restaurant not far from the gates of the presidential administration in Moscow. It was an official sting operation: The police put a wire in both the table and on Morozov himself. After he made the handoff and Leshchevsky had left, Morozov headed to the bathroom to meet up with a police agent and hand over the recording device that had been tucked under his clothes.
When he returned to the table, he saw that Leshchevsky had walked back into the restaurant, still holding the money. As Morozov remembers, Leshchevsky said, “It’s raining, I’ve got a long ways to walk, how about I sit and have a beer.” Morozov knew instantly the operation had failed—police were supposed to detain Leshchevsky as soon as he left the restaurant. Either the police lacked the authority to arrest such a high-ranking official or Leshchevsky had wriggled out of the trap. Morozov was disappointed, but not shocked. “Knowing this whole system, the idea the Kremlin would give him up, let him hang, is difficult to imagine,” he said. Leshchevsky has denied Morozov’s allegations.
After the failed sting, Morozov started talking to the press and sharing materials from the case. Dmitry Medvedev, then Russia’s president, ordered prosecutors to look into why the investigation had stalled. But investigators declined to bring charges and the case was dropped in 2012. In December 2011, Morozov went to London with his wife for New Year’s. After the holiday passed, he got a call from a contact in Russia warning him for his safety not to come back. He received asylum in the U.K. and now lives in an unremarkable, barely furnished home in the London suburbs.
Before I left, Morozov cautioned me against making too much of his story. If you look anywhere else in Russia, he said, “You will see the same thing, maybe even more.” The culture of informal mechanisms of control and the battle for influence as a proxy for personal enrichment predates the Olympics—and even Putin. “Sochi,” he said, “is just what is happening in Russia everywhere.”

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 6, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Vladimir Putin posted:

The Russian economy is one of the most hosed up capitalist economies on earth. Like, legitimizing the capitalist black market after the fall of communism went about as well as you think, and the businesses hold an unfortunate amount of political power.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So apparently someone injured both knees on the woman downhill skiing and the men were hitting about 90 mph, all because the hill was too big and they didn't have expert testers. They used regular people who dont get the same airtime.

Also apparently the swag bag contains a bear created from the depths of hell. Sochi!

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

The Russian economy is one of the most hosed up capitalist economies on earth. Like, legitimizing the capitalist black market after the fall of communism went about as well as you think, and the businesses hold an unfortunate amount of political power.

why are you rushin to judgement? thats socheesy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ZombieReagan posted:

I can't imagine tarp ceilings would actually pass a fire safety inspection, assuming they do that in Russia.

They do. They mostly just inspect your wallet, though, and they take out any of that flammable paper stuff they can find. Is fast. Is efficent.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Toad on a Hat posted:

So apparently someone injured both knees on the woman downhill skiing and the men were hitting about 90 mph, all because the hill was too big and they didn't have expert testers. They used regular people who dont get the same airtime.

Sounds like they designed their Olympic challenge course to be challenging

No competing for 20-minute slalom times on a 1 degree slope in Sochi

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Entropic posted:

Dubai could announce that they've hired Superman to use his ice breath for turning the country into a winter wonderland and I'd still lend that more credibility than FIFA pretending Qatar's World Cup bid is legit thanks to outdoor stadiums cooled by magical cloud HVAC.

Though in Russia, Cloud HVAC is probably a real thing like a virus you get automatically installed on your cell phone the moment you turn it on, making your Dropbox account into a weigh station for Bitcoin laundering.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

ZombieReagan posted:

I just assumed those permits cost a ton of money to get approved, and the contractors took a huge chunk as well and just spent as little as they could on everything while pocketing the rest. Capitalism at its most efficient!

I can't imagine tarp ceilings would actually pass a fire safety inspection, assuming they do that in Russia.

You guys know the guy you quoted is Vladimir Putin, right?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Meis posted:

Yes. :colbert:

ZombieReagan posted:

This isn't a serious thread at this point, don't care. Everything is a set up for a cheap Sochi joke.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/heightened-security-amid-terror-threat-at-sochi-9111296.html

quote:

“Our security services are working with colleagues from Europe and North America,” Kozak said. “There is no reason to believe that the level of danger in Sochi is greater than at any other point on the planet, be it Boston, London, New York or Washington.

I think everyone needs to stop worrying. Boston, London, New York and Washington have never been hit by terror.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Toad on a Hat posted:

Also apparently the swag bag contains a bear created from the depths of hell. Sochi!

at least they wont gently caress up the stadiums / courses

oh

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Russian tactical plastic bag.

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

you irl posted:

why are you rushin to judgement? thats socheesy

putin on the ritz

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meis posted:

Are you suggesting Reagan should let some Red Commie Russian bastard tell him what he can and can not say?

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
I worked at a computer hardware manufacturing company in the late 90s early 2000s and they had stories about trying to get their stuff on the shelf in Europe. Most of them were tame like different voltages for plugging in things or marketing on the box could be racist in one country and totally acceptable in another. But nothing tops Russia.

They didn't understand you had to bribe the local Russian mafia to get your hardware offloaded and bribe the cops to keep it from getting stolen. They were told a couple times you need to bribe to get your stuff on the shelves. And the higher ups were like, "Pffff they can't be serious. No way is that place this corrupt."

They went through 2 guys getting murdered before figuring it out and adjusting the budget to add in bribe amounts.

It was literally tracked by the accountants under the heading "Russian Bribes".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Agrajag posted:

Are they wearing tracksuits under those jackets? Those are totally track pants they're wearing.

What is it with russians and wearing tracksuits?

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis#Chemical_attack

I'd be more afraid of those guys than any terrorist attack.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Agrajag posted:

In some Eastern Block countries plastic bags are legit status symbols. I think it was in Romania that I saw practically every other person on the street carrying plastic bags with Hugo Boss and similar boutique logos. I had to wonder if somebody was making a living printing and selling these giant quantities of crappy shopping bags.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
I can't believe I haven't seen this video posted in this thread already..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H59qzY_8XbM

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

ZombieReagan posted:

those are clearly tactical track suits, they are black

Tracktical Suit, protects from small to medium dog biting

heavy tracktical suit is cost more, protect from all dog

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fat Ogre posted:

I worked at a computer hardware manufacturing company in the late 90s early 2000s and they had stories about trying to get their stuff on the shelf in Europe. Most of them were tame like different voltages for plugging in things or marketing on the box could be racist in one country and totally acceptable in another. But nothing tops Russia.

They didn't understand you had to bribe the local Russian mafia to get your hardware offloaded and bribe the cops to keep it from getting stolen. They were told a couple times you need to bribe to get your stuff on the shelves. And the higher ups were like, "Pffff they can't be serious. No way is that place this corrupt."

They went through 2 guys getting murdered before figuring it out and adjusting the budget to add in bribe amounts.

It was literally tracked by the accountants under the heading "Russian Bribes".

A box containing a plastic pipe flange of ours was "detained" at russian customs and they said we needed to pay an customs fee (read: bribe) to get it back. Since then the only stuff we ship to russia is the stuff that our agents have paid for since they'll have already footed the bribes for it.

India is almost as bad but not quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

demonachizer posted:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/heightened-security-amid-terror-threat-at-sochi-9111296.html

I think everyone needs to stop worrying. Boston, London, New York and Washington have never been hit by terror.

I can't believe that he picked those locations at random.

• Locked thread