Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Happy Hippo posted:

Yeah, if you read that and came away with "Joffrey rapes Tommen" then pass that poo poo over here, son.

"Go away inside" might as well just be code for sexual abuse in fiction. However in this case I think it just as likely Tommen did it to get away from violent things Joffrey did to him or others.

I think there's an intended parallel between Tommen and how Jamie tuned out and thought of his sister while the Mad King was roasting people alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
House Hufflepuff:

-Renly
-Tommen
-Hodor
-Ser Pounce
-Gilly
-Edmure
-Lancel
-Jeyne W./Talisa
-Hot Pie

Yeeeeeeaaaaah, they're not winning the House Cup anytime soon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, our current choices for discussion are "Did GRRM put too much rape in his books, or not enough?" or "What Harry Potter house is every character in?" Hmmmmm...

Piell posted:

Sam is a Hufflepuff

gently caress you, if Sam isn't a Ravenclaw I will eat a Sorting Hat. :mad:

Yeah though Jaime and Brienne and Jon and possibly Dany are Gryffindors and every maester is a Ravenclaw and a lot of the smallfolk are probably Hufflepuffs but I'd say probably 90% of the characters that do things in these books are Slytherins.

I'm not sure about Tyrion, though. I could see arguments for every house except Hufflepuff.

e:

Propaganda Machine posted:

House Hufflepuff:

-Renly

Having a lot of trouble seeing Renly "Party All The Time" Baratheon as a hardworking Hufflepuff, dude.

I think it's more likely that the Baratheons are one of those all-Gryffindor families like the Weasleys.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 6, 2014

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

World's are colliding everyone run! Dany is totally She who must not be named.

Edit: oh god I'm actually going to explain myself. We know Dany's ok because we are in her head but imagine if we weren't and there's just the rumors of some crazy kid with dragons burning citys and murdering everyone. She even has masked killers like the death eaters.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 6, 2014

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I seem to recall the spoiler thread spiraling out of control the few months immediately prior to season 3 starting. I suppose after 8 months, give or take, of no show this is what happens.

Also Neville Longbottom is Azor Ahai reborn.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Vernii posted:

That's actually a pretty good way to look at it, especially in the context of framing it as the reader getting what they want in a way they won't enjoy.

There's a bunch of things in the books that people seem to dislike, but I loved because of this framing. For example, I love where Tyrion's story has gone. So many people's favorite character, and he's not dead (yet)! Unfortunately, he's a slave with ASOIAF-leprosy now. Then people complain about ADWD "ruining" Tyrion. Duh.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ned Stark and the Foolishly Strict Honour Code.

Joffrey Baratheon and the Stupid Whore Who Couldn't Keep Her Mouth Shut.

Hodor and the Hodor Hodor :downs:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
My God, shut up you monsters.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm going to be very disappointed if the series ends and Hodor is not King in the North.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

In related news, I went to look up the Season 3 blu-rays because they were mad expensive before. Good news is Best Buy has it on sale for $40. Bad news is I can't find anything about the slipcovers. It's a stupid thing to grumble about, but seasons 1 and 2 look all snazzy side by side :(

Lannister
Stark
Targaryen

They didn't make a rad Stannis cover because fans of this show are dumb.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm going to be very disappointed if the series ends and Hodor is not King in the North.

Yeah, Hodor will be King In The North, but only 'cause Bran will be controlling him like Krang from the ninja turtles.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Drunkboxer posted:

My God, shut up you monsters.

Seriously.

To try and get things back on track, I am reading Dragons and Crows now. It's amazing how much better it flows together, and you don't get sick to death of characters because their POVs are more spread out.

I'm about halfway through it. Who do you think betrayed Arianne Martell re: Myrcella being spirited out of Dorne to be crowned? I'm leaning toward Arys Oakheart.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I think it was Petyr Pettigrew, myself. He's missing his little finger, after all :v:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

escape artist posted:

Seriously.

To try and get things back on track, I am reading Dragons and Crows now. It's amazing how much better it flows together, and you don't get sick to death of characters because their POVs are more spread out.

I'm about halfway through it. Who do you think betrayed Arianne Martell re: Myrcella being spirited out of Dorne to be crowned? I'm leaning toward Arys Oakheart.

I never gave the question much thought and just assumed it was Arys.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I thought Areo was just telling her what he thought happened. Doran said he was watching her and thought it would be best to let her carry out her little plans so she could learn the hard way just how far out of her league she was, he just didn't expect her failure to be massive that she could start a war with the Lannisters.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Lannister
Stark
Targaryen

They didn't make a rad Stannis cover because fans of this show are dumb.

It really would been more relevant to the season too.

This is what it could have been:

Narmi fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 6, 2014

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I will never buy a GoT blu-ray until I can get a House Bolton cover! PINK and all.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those are MUCH better.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lovechop posted:

Yeah, Hodor will be King In The North, but only 'cause Bran will be controlling him like Krang from the ninja turtles.

In a sense, Bran is mind-raping Hodor. Let's discuss this at length.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

escape artist posted:

Isn't at least one of her plotmates hecka slutty? Someone let something slip in pillow talk and it spread. Arianne's good at loyalty but really bad at plotting.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

CapnAndy posted:

Isn't at least one of her plotmates hecka slutty? Someone let something slip in pillow talk and it spread. Arianne's good at loyalty but really bad at plotting.
I don't think so. There was Darkstar and Arys, plus Andrey Dalt, Garin, and Sylva Santager-- super minor characters. They were planning on taking her to Ellaria Sand, though, Oberyn's mistress. You might be thinking of that.

I either see it being Darkstar or Arys.

Arys because he was caught in such a clusterfuck that he wanted to remain loyal to Myrcella, and hide his shame from betraying Arianne, basically went into all of that suicidal.

Darkstar suggests that killing Myrcella would bring the war Arianne wants, but I haven't extrapolated much from that.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

escape artist posted:

I will never buy a GoT blu-ray until I can get a House Bolton cover! PINK and all.

Made of human skin :black101:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

ShaqDiesel posted:

Made of human skin :black101:

comes with a free sausage

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Lovechop posted:

comes with a free sausage

Well of course it's a sausage...what did YOU think it was?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

timp posted:

Well of course it's a sausage...what did YOU think it was?

I've never sausage a thing in all my years

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

House Hufflepuff:

-Renly
-Tommen
-Hodor
-Ser Pounce
-Gilly
-Edmure
-Lancel
-Jeyne W./Talisa
-Hot Pie

Yeeeeeeaaaaah, they're not winning the House Cup anytime soon.

Think we're missing the most obv member

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In related news, I went to look up the Season 3 blu-rays because they were mad expensive before. Good news is Best Buy has it on sale for $40. Bad news is I can't find anything about the slipcovers. It's a stupid thing to grumble about, but seasons 1 and 2 look all snazzy side by side :(

You might even want to hold off on pre-ordering until a week or a few days before the S3 sets go on sale. Last year Best Buy dropped the sale price to below $30, and I'm not sure if they do the "lowest pre-order price guarantee" that Amazon does.

quote:

It really would been more relevant to the season too.

This is what it could have been:

There's always season 4. :sigh:

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Bolton, Frey and Martell might be options by then.

Maybe Arryn/Baelish (e: the new sigil, not the old one) as well.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 6, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I still half expect them to say "gently caress consistency" and bring this terrible idea back:

EdIt: I spel gud :downs:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 6, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not even Goons will throw Davos "Onion Knight" a bone :sigh:

Edit: drat, did they actually juts reuse the houses from the first season?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 6, 2014

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
They held a web poll to choose between Stark/Targ/Lannister (the S1 and S2 covers minus Greyjoy), Tyrell/Mannis/Tully, or faces. The correct choice was the new houses, but the old houses won.

Whatever, I went Stark and Greyjoy before so I'll pick up a Lannister now. Screw the Targs.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Ballz posted:

I still have expect them to say "gently caress consistency" and bring this terrible idea back:

God that is so hideous.

Stark and Lannister to kick off makes sense, they are the main houses at the start but are either gone or on the way out now, it will be more appropriate having Bolton, Baratheon or Tyrell later. And there was always gonna be an early Targ for Kelly Cs fans.

I kind of wish they'd made the Bolton sigil more stylised though. It sticks out compared to the others.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I just finished burning through that 'A Read of Ice and Fire' recap series that someone mentioned in the thread and it was a surprisingly enjoyable and easy read. The lady who writes it can be maddeningly dense sometimes but provides an interesting feminist perspective that I probably in my first read through. She definitely made me appreciate Cat Stark a lot more after her RW reaction (which was golden).

There is no way in hell that she is going to get through the first Victarion chapter without ragequitting the series though. She doesn't even like Asha, Euron will be the devil incarnate to her.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

madey posted:

She doesn't even like Asha, Euron will be the devil incarnate to her.

I wonder if that will change once in her PoV - it did for Jaime.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

geeves posted:

Perhaps. From my recollection the Kingsmoot was between:

-Asha; white peace with the North sand keep whatever lands the Ironborn currently hold.
-Victarion; Conquer the North , declare independence.
-Euron; Conquer Westeros.
-Some minor lord; keep sailing west until they reach Asshai or whatever.
-A Fat Lord; Just wanted the job or something (?)

And Asha's platform was probably the most sensible. However I suspect the recapper would not agree with Asha's willingness to work within the Ironborn's abhorrent culture. Also she has a long conversation with Rodrick the Reader who is very much more reasonable in comparison. I cannot remember what happens to Asha after the Kingsmoot, doesn't she get captured by Stannis or something?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

geeves posted:

Yeah, her hatred of Asha seems based on a lot of wrong assumptions.

quote:

From the point of view of the rest of the continent (which I certainly care more about in general than I do these people), either Euron or Asha would be a disastrous victor, in that both of them would be strong and aggressive leaders who will promptly begin (or continue, rather) to raid the poo poo out of everyone.
This is not a viewpoint that's going to survive contact with Asha herself.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

madey posted:

Perhaps. From my recollection the Kingsmoot was between:

-Asha; white peace with the North sand keep whatever lands the Ironborn currently hold.
-Victarion; Conquer the North , declare independence.
-Euron; Conquer Westeros.
-Some minor lord; keep sailing west until they reach Asshai or whatever.
-A Fat Lord; Just wanted the job or something (?)

And Asha's platform was probably the most sensible. However I suspect the recapper would not agree with Asha's willingness to work within the Ironborn's abhorrent culture. Also she has a long conversation with Rodrick the Reader who is very much more reasonable in comparison. I cannot remember what happens to Asha after the Kingsmoot, doesn't she get captured by Stannis or something?

Yes, she goes back to one of Northern castles and gets captured along with it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

They held a web poll to choose between Stark/Targ/Lannister (the S1 and S2 covers minus Greyjoy), Tyrell/Mannis/Tully, or faces. The correct choice was the new houses, but the old houses won.

Whatever, I went Stark and Greyjoy before so I'll pick up a Lannister now. Screw the Targs.

I got Stark for S1 and Dracarys + Meesa make for a decent season for a Targ cover. Still, I was secretly hoping for Tyrell, and it might be the last season for which Tully is even reasonable.

Also, I'm sorry but Renly is a loving Hufflepuff. That boy is. ..touched. As good a friend as he is incompetent.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Also, I'm sorry but Renly is a loving Hufflepuff. That boy is. ..touched. As good a friend as he is incompetent.

What just because he's gay? He probably would have won the war handily if he didn't get magically assassinated.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

What just because he's gay? He probably would have won the war handily if he didn't get magically assassinated.

He'd have won the war because he had all the support of Storm's End & Highgarden, not because he was actually good at leading men into battle or ruling. He was playing king. When you first see him, it's almost like he's having a tourney at his war camp. If he won, it would have been simply due to the fact that he had people much smarter than him controlling him and supporting him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

chellesandcheese posted:

He'd have won the war because he had all the support of Storm's End & Highgarden, not because he was actually good at leading men into battle or ruling. He was playing king. When you first see him, it's almost like he's having a tourney at his war camp. If he won, it would have been simply due to the fact that he had people much smarter than him controlling him and supporting him.

So he would have been like Robert and brought the kingdom decades of peace and prosperity?

Sounds like a failure to me. Stannis, Robb and Joffrey have done such a terrific job so far.

• Locked thread