Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I finally finished a run of The Sims! It had some mistakes and wound up being just under 31 minutes. I lost more than 2 to a bad run at making friends so sub-30 is a reasonable estimate without great luck and play.

Still uploading on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iMPDiewx8

Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/drdos0016/b/500827844

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Brett824 posted:

I guess the new Paper Mario thing that got linked earlier is causing a bit of a kerfuffle

AmatomyZ comments in favor of not doing the trick/banning it:
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/1wxv2b/almolicious_just_found_a_paper_mario_cutscene/cf6ovrx

Pie subtweets on twitter about it:
https://twitter.com/Iateyourp1e/status/430774809786454016

That's pretty much how it goes with most games. Having a periodically rising skill ceiling is what keeps games interesting.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

So using/not using that skip should be based off whether
A) The Runner can do it
and
B) If it fits the category (someone said it would mess up how All Cards works?)

A) is the biggest issue. Frame Perfect jumps are already a huge pain, but 7 of them without a setup? Banning it is dumb though, but I can also see how frustrating it would be to do runs up until that skip and try to get it in the first few tries and resetting if it fails.

It's kind of like Pie with Blue House Skip for the longest time. It wasn't fun and killed his motivation since he felt runs would get to that one trick and his final time was mostly dependent on hitting it early. If a solid setup is never found then AnatomyZ can do whatever he wants really. His main issue will be someone else getting WR with a sloppier run but hitting that trick, since he'll have to start incorporating it (Someone said it saved a huge amount of time?)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Studio posted:

A) The Runner can do it
and

A) is the biggest issue. Frame Perfect jumps are already a huge pain, but 7 of them without a setup? Banning it is dumb though, but I can also see how frustrating it would be to do runs up until that skip and try to get it in the first few tries and resetting if it fails.

It's kind of like Pie with Blue House Skip for the longest time. It wasn't fun and killed his motivation since he felt runs would get to that one trick and his final time was mostly dependent on hitting it early. If a solid setup is never found then AnatomyZ can do whatever he wants really. His main issue will be someone else getting WR with a sloppier run but hitting that trick, since he'll have to start incorporating it (Someone said it saved a huge amount of time?)
Well it's 7 frame perfect tricks at 30 FPS, which as Naeglaria would say, is 7 2-frame tricks in a real game. And I'm not exactly a PM speedrunner nor do I follow it super closely, but from everything I understand about the trick it's actually pretty risk free because if you mess it up for the most part you can just re-enter the room. I understand hating sloppier runs that are WR just because new stuff is found, but the response to that isn't just not doing new stuff.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I have total empathy for "Ugg I don't want to do that...." and then not doing it. I have no empathy for someone saying "Ugg I don't want to do that...lets ban it so none of us have to, all in favor?".

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Dos posted:

I finally finished a run of The Sims! It had some mistakes and wound up being just under 31 minutes. I lost more than 2 to a bad run at making friends so sub-30 is a reasonable estimate without great luck and play.

Still uploading on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iMPDiewx8

Twitch:
http://www.twitch.tv/drdos0016/b/500827844

Nice! Congrats on your...world record, I guess? I'm assuming nobody's ever done that before that fast. It looks like sub :30 is definitely possible with some refined menu movement and all that.

I like the idea of this run, and I played the whole video, but I had to navigate away during the hot tub sequences and come back later. There's not much entertainment factor to a run like this, but I still respect the work you put into it and the (probably) WR that came from it, so good on you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I agree with Pie, you could always make separate categories if you don't wanna do it, banning outright is wrong.

I guess Anatomy is just very protective of his WR.

Alteisen fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 5, 2014

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

timp posted:

Nice! Congrats on your...world record, I guess? I'm assuming nobody's ever done that before that fast. It looks like sub :30 is definitely possible with some refined menu movement and all that.

I like the idea of this run, and I played the whole video, but I had to navigate away during the hot tub sequences and come back later. There's not much entertainment factor to a run like this, but I still respect the work you put into it and the (probably) WR that came from it, so good on you.

I think SkeletonBill has the wr, he's the only other person I know who runs it (someone else does but i dont remember who they are) but bill is a dumb rear end and stopped running it

edit: also that paper mario trick is dumb as gently caress but they should just do what the hot line miami runners do and make a different category with it cuz it's too hard for them

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

heeheex2 posted:

I think SkeletonBill has the wr, he's the only other person I know who runs it (someone else does but i dont remember who they are) but bill is a dumb rear end and stopped running it

edit: also that paper mario trick is dumb as gently caress but they should just do what the hot line miami runners do and make a different category with it cuz it's too hard for them

Thats what All Cards basically was in the first place. You can't just keep making new categories people will catch on eventually.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Brett824 posted:

Thats what All Cards basically was in the first place. You can't just keep making new categories people will catch on eventually.

The real difference here is that All Cards vs. any% at least made sense in the fact that they are very different routes with very different strategies. As far as I've heard, the only applications of this new trick are purely time-saving, not route changing at all.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I guess Anatomy is just very protective of his WR.

I don't know Anatomy very well at all but I believe this to be 100% true, based solely off the fact that I see him streaming "WR attempts" within hours of anytime someone takes one of his Paper Mario records.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Guess he's like that Hanage guy, dude got the CV4 WR and vanished, Joe takes it, Hanage pops and gets it back within a week, Joe is apparently learning Diddy Kong Racing now so Hanage has vanished once more.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I really hope Metal Wolf Chaos gets uncut for SGDQ, it looks like the most insane, jingoistic USA game ever, and it came out of Japan. I guess 2:40:00 is a long time for something that might get old after a while.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Alteisen posted:

Guess he's like that Hanage guy, dude got the CV4 WR and vanished, Joe takes it, Hanage pops and gets it back within a week, Joe is apparently learning Diddy Kong Racing now so Hanage has vanished once more.

Well, some people need a reason to play a game besides really loving a game. He may care about his WR, or competition is the only thing driving Hanage to play his game at this point, which is totally understandable given how much CV4 and Paper Mario Hanage and Anatomyz have played respectively.

Pivotal Lever posted:

I really hope Metal Wolf Chaos gets uncut for SGDQ, it looks like the most insane, jingoistic USA game ever, and it came out of Japan. I guess 2:40:00 is a long time for something that might get old after a while.
Biggest issue is that it needs the cutscenes to be entertaining and is already very long. That's a really nasty combo on a very tight schedule (that already has a bunch of long games)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Brett824 posted:

Says you.

Just you wait when I get the WR on All Peach Cutscenes%.

Sabby23
Nov 10, 2010

Stay fresh!

Studio posted:

A) The Runner can do it
and

B is actually a kind of tough question with how the game treats it. As far as we understand the trick right now, the star spirit shows up on the file select after you do it, but no other part of the game seems to advance. It doesn't show up in the pause menu, you don't get the star spirit power, and most importantly it doesn't actually let you advance to the next chapter as if you had gone through the cutscene. There are ways around the last part by just using different skips to advance the chapter, but it makes you think if it really counts at that point, which I guess it would because the definition of all cards is just that you have to touch each card at the end of the chapters.

Also as far as I know Anatomyz agrees that it would be really dumb to straight up ban the trick, (we went through a whole thing with black toad skip because how well it works depends almost entirely on how your controller's stick lines up, which makes it easier for some people and harder for others) but he just hopes that no one will ever do it in a run because of how annoying it would be to start implementing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Caleb takes the MMX any% by 3 seconds with a 31:38.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Alteisen posted:

When was this? Cause Hanage has been streaming daily for the past week? :confused:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hadn't seen him in awhile, maybe he's doing it at other times.

In speedrun related news, kissmyafrocard has defeated the funkdoc and taken the sypha WR, he now has it on JP and US.

http://www.twitch.tv/kissmyafrocard/c/3674967

Highlight of the WR.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Caleb takes the MMX any% by 3 seconds with a 31:38.

And Tiki is -10 on WR going into Sigma.

http://www.twitch.tv/tiki77747

E: 31:28

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 7, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

argondamn posted:

31:28 holy poo poo.

And in more records being broken news, DK28 got a 10:04 contra, wonder if TMR will stick with CV4 or try to take the Contra one back.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

argondamn posted:

:drat: That was impressive.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I believe everyone should go to this page and look at the latest cut:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Aj2eKeMxVzzzdF84YW1UTzVKekt6VGRpQUFBQnpULWc&gid=2

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at, or even if that page is sorted in ascending or descending order.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm disappointed we won't be getting 20 hours of final fantasy tactics advance.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at, or even if that page is sorted in ascending or descending order.

Bottom of the spreadsheet he linked, rightmost cell:

Technically not NSFW, but your coworkers may get the wrong idea...

EDIT: I was going to post anyways.

argondamn posted:

:stare:

That was insane. He got great luck on just about every boss and his execution and movement were really solid. I've probably seen Caleb Hart beat MMX at least 10 times so it was really cool to see another talented runner play it just slightly different...jumping a frame or two earlier here, dashing instead of walljumping here, and so on. Based on that run alone I'd have to say Tiki's movement tactics and stage select timing seem better overall, and coupled with the luck he got...drat. That's going to be a VERY hard WR to beat. Very impressive.

Congratulations to Tiki, but I'll still be pulling for Caleb to take it back.

timp fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Crazy how much they've cut and they still got so much more to go.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
They've got a marathon worth of cuts and two marathons worth of non cuts. And, they still have more to process.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Were AGDQ first round cuts on a spreadsheet with their times? I want to say this may still be less than AGDQ, but since Romscout is letting a lot more games through and cuts can be seen organized witht their time it makes it easier to compare the times. There are a lot of ways to just slash through time with early cuts though. Like there are 8 Pokemon games, and if he picks one that's at least 10 hours saved. There's like 18 hours of 2D Zeldas offered, and even if 2 make it through that can be 13 hours gone. Holy poo poo though I wanted Minish Cap in, I hope it makes it :(

I got past first cut though :toot:.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also seconding the minish cap love, would be nice to see some zelda games that haven't been played a thousand times over at marathons.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Sinister is TEARIN up mtpo up -15.47 with 3 fights to go :getin:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Way to jinx it. <:mad:>

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That was a loving heartbreaker.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
That was really hard to watch the run come down like that :( I take full blame for the jinx.A 2:20 on tyson was insane especially w/a :57 1st knockdown. I'm positive a new wr will happen, sinister is really on fire these days w/punchout.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The one thing that always makes me sad is that event horizon that truly excellent runners reach, where mechanically they are PERFECT, but what they are forced to rely on to shave off those last few seconds is the element of RNG over which they have no mechanical control. Sort of like the Megaman X run -- if the bosses go really well, then that's a lot of time off, but it isn't going to happen every time. It almost becomes a dice game at the very end of speedrun mastery where you have to wait for that Perfect Game, and then NAIL it. Granted, this happens a lot, but it's frustrating when Sinister just slays the game but that one random element goes different and loses time no matter how well he plays.

Which is why we have TAS I guess, but it's still a finger-snapper of a fact.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
He's going at it again, 7 secs ahead after bull 2.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Black August posted:

The one thing that always makes me sad is that event horizon that truly excellent runners reach, where mechanically they are PERFECT, but what they are forced to rely on to shave off those last few seconds is the element of RNG over which they have no mechanical control. Sort of like the Megaman X run -- if the bosses go really well, then that's a lot of time off, but it isn't going to happen every time. It almost becomes a dice game at the very end of speedrun mastery where you have to wait for that Perfect Game, and then NAIL it. Granted, this happens a lot, but it's frustrating when Sinister just slays the game but that one random element goes different and loses time no matter how well he plays.

Which is why we have TAS I guess, but it's still a finger-snapper of a fact.

Speedrunning would be really boring if there was no RNG, and honestly even games with essentially no RNG boil down to that when you get to super optimized levels of play. Super Mario Bros. has almost no RNG, but all it means is goofy little frame rules and 1 frame differences due to things like the exact frame you started the game start to become significant.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Man how the hell could you cut Peggle. Such a travesty.

I am sorry for your loss heex4. :(

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Peggle could be a super sick run if you took the time to figure out the shots. For being such a seemingly random game to my knowledge there is no actual RNG in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Peggle has RNG in the orange peg placement. It's way dumb

• Locked thread