Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

zocio posted:

This.

Seriously, the bad thread is made for this kind of discussion.

How many men would it take to subdue and rape Gregor?

Hodor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
My word, this rape... it's realistically inaccurate !!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Marijuana posted:

It's hard to tell if GRRM did this deliberately or not.

No, it really isn't. I can 100% guarantee you GRRM didn't write Game of Thrones with a printout of medieval rape statistics on his desk so that he could include a disproportionate amount of female rape in the book.

Because that's really stupid.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeahhhh I think I liked rapechat better when its focus was "why is there so much goshdarn rape in these books" rather than "what does this series' choice of rape targets tell us about the author's underlying assumptions about rape; let's have an in-depth discussion of Rape Theory in the GoT Spoiler Thread: Only Chat."

(also "these male rape victims don't count as dudes because they're totally girly" was kind of a particularly weird thing to say)

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Kainser posted:

A unified Westeros is very much an aberration created by the Targaryens and their dragons, there is no real reason for it to still be around except for inertia. I'm guessing that the Lord Paramounts will figure that out at some point.

The Lords Paramount all figured this out a long time ago, when the Iron Islands and the North and Riverlands declared themselves as independent kingdoms; the reason the other Great Houses didn't follow is simple. Why be the sovereign of one kingdom when you could conceivably be the sovereign - or at the very least an influential agent behind the throne - of eight? The Northmen were basically isolated already and had an axe to grind, the Ironborn have their bizarre pride and Old Ways, and the Riverlanders were brought in via marriage, but every other house has a conceivable stake in the leadership of the entire continent.

The Targaryen monarchy was definitely an aberration, but now everyone knows "one king, one kingdom" can work, and no one wants to put that particular genie back in the bottle, so long as they can benefit from that hierarchical structure. Hell, if Daenerys took the Iron Throne and incorporated Mereen and Astapor into satellite territories of Westeros, in a century the descendants of the current generation would be fighting tooth and nail to still keep them. No one in Westeros is in the business of giving up power.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

loquacius posted:

Yeahhhh I think I liked rapechat better when its focus was "why is there so much goshdarn rape in these books" rather than "what does this series' choice of rape targets tell us about the author's underlying assumptions about rape; let's have an in-depth discussion of Rape Theory in the GoT Spoiler Thread: Only Chat."

Why don't you like it? Does it make you uncomfortable? It makes me uncomfortable, but I think it's worth exploring.

quote:

(also "these male rape victims don't count as dudes because they're totally girly" was kind of a particularly weird thing to say)

I didn't pull that out of my rear end. It's in the text. Sorry you think it's weird, but I didn't write these stories.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Marijuana posted:

Why don't you like it? Does it make you uncomfortable? It makes me uncomfortable, but I think it's worth exploring.

Because, trying to extrapolate author intentions out of a story are the worst kind of analysis.

Corey Olsen calls it critfiction. I call it a worthless analysis of a text.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

rypakal posted:

Welcome to "how to become a King 101"

e: Real info edit: The great man theory of history is bullshit.

Yes, that helps him become king. The argument that was laid out was whether he was the best of the 5 people claiming the throne to be king. And IMO, a puppet king who is compared to his older brother who bankrupt the kingdom, didn't give a crap about actually ruling, actually had no legitimate claim, and just liked to party is not the best option for king. As others have said, he'd have likely left no heir, added to the kingdom's debt, and left it with another succession battle when he died. Even if Margaery did happen to have kids, there's a good chance someone could fight their legitimacy since it seemed to be the world's worst kept secret that Renly was gay.

I actually think that a Stannis/Renly team may have been best for the people of Westeros, but honestly all of the current choices have major flaws. A Renly/Robb compromise also would have likely benefited the kingdom quite a bit. I just don't think we should white-wash Renly into this guy that would have been an amazing king if only his brother hadn't killed him...there was enough information about him to know that he certainly wasn't going to be a great king.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011

Marijuana posted:

I didn't pull that out of my rear end. It's in the text. Sorry you think it's weird, but I didn't write these stories.

Was it pulled out against your will?

Are you girly?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I like Stannis because he's emblematic of the lowering of expectations this series is good at. First you pull for Ned to put the Lannisters in check and rule as Lord Protector. He dies, so you pull for Robb and his Northern Independence movement, and heck, maybe Tyrion in de facto charge can handle things in Kings Landing pretty well. Woops, Robb is betrayed and killed, Tyrion is thrown from power and then exiled, so who's left? Well, the worst parts of the Lannisters, the Boltons and the Freys as power players (and I guess the Tyrell's too but you don't really get to peek too deep into what's going on with them aside from a couple Sansa chapters). What do we have left? Oh, old, inflexible Stannis. And he looks good by comparison.

I remember a post of Stannis eventually clawing his way to close to holding the Iron Throne and encountering Dany, who has the superior claim, the dragons, and the loyalty of R'hllor (perhaps Melisandre drops him in favor of Danaerys?) and, unable to reconcile his Right To the Throne with reality, goes out like Rorschach in the Watchmen, begging her to blow his head off or something.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Marijuana posted:

I can't speak for the rest of the audience, but personally I see little point in talking about building a family and a career on 4chan; less point in talking about literature and the humanities on the XKCD forums; and least point of all in talking about sexuality and social relationships on SA. You would be discussing those subjects with people who can offer at best a detached outsider's perspective, and at worst a bitter and twisted contempt towards the entire field.

Alekanderu
Aug 27, 2003

Med plutonium tvingar vi dansken på knä.

Marijuana posted:

Nope. We're making the case that there is some kind of hosed up (and realistically inaccurate) gender bias with regards to sexual assault going on in this series. It's hard to tell if GRRM did this deliberately or not. Creepy pictures aside, I'm leaning towards not because he has made really stupid mistakes like making it possible to shoot arrows to the top of a seven hundred foot ice wall.

"Creepy pictures aside"? So because GRRM is an old fat dude who wears weird clothes, he's also a creep who could be reasonably suspected to deliberately misrepresent rape. Okay.

"Look at this ugly old hag! She even has a wart on her nose. Surely she must be a witch!"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Sorry to interrupt the oh-so-riveting rehash of RapeChat, but here's a very brief bit of new footage:
http://instagram.com/p/kIDPhbsbFK/

A few shots of Joff's wedding, Tyrion's trial, Sansa at the Eyrie and (I think) underneath King's Landing as well.

Apparently there's a 15-minute "look forward/look back" teaser/reminder/behind-the-scenes thing airing on Sunday night.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
It's proper strange that I'm more hyped for Sansa at the Eyrie than anything else. My favourite chapter of all the books for sure.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I'm a little peeved she still has red hair at the Eyrie.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lovechop posted:

It's proper strange that I'm more hyped for Sansa at the Eyrie than anything else. My favourite chapter of all the books for sure.
It's because the last scene there is insane.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Alekanderu posted:

"Creepy pictures aside"? So because GRRM is an old fat dude who wears weird clothes, he's also a creep who could be reasonably suspected to deliberately misrepresent rape. Okay.

"Look at this ugly old hag! She even has a wart on her nose. Surely she must be a witch!"

No that's not what makes GRRM's pictures creepy. I mean I hate to participate further in this rapechat extravaganza but if you just look at those 'GRRM with fans' pictures posted a couple of pages ago there's this one strange detail that will just make you go 'huh, I guess that is kinda creepy'. Compare the pictures where he hangs out with female fans to the one where there's a guy next to him.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm a little peeved she still has red hair at the Eyrie.

I'm wondering how they're going to do the whole Alayne identity (if they even keep it at all) without confusing the common viewers. On the other hand, if they can follow Hope / Gina on a soap opera, GoT could also pull it off.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

geeves posted:

I'm wondering how they're going to do the whole Alayne identity (if they even keep it at all) without confusing the common viewers. On the other hand, if they can follow Hope / Gina on a soap opera, GoT could also pull it off.

I don't see what's so hard, it's just "Oh yeah your name is "Alayne" now and you're my daughter".

Just don't have her meet up with anyone we've seen her with before and it'll be easy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The finale of the series will be the Others slowly and in painful detail raping every single POV character with ice.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

The finale of the series will be the Others slowly and in painful detail raping every single POV character with ice.

So long as it's statistically accurate I think everyone will be satisfied.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want fully fleshed-out tables of demographics so I can bust out my d10s and roll for Westerosi Rape Victims.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Lovechop posted:

Sansa building the snow castle is possibly the series' most poignant moment.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

geeves posted:

I also have no idea how they're going to do Jeyne Poole because one of the important parts of her is that she recognizes Theon, and they can't just invent an extra that will have that connection wit him.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sansa's assumed identity might not be as important if Littlefinger's posse get cut. She can dye her hair next season before the meeting with the Lords Declarant.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

I also have no idea how they're going to do Jeyne Poole because one of the important parts of her is that she recognizes Theon, and they can't just invent an extra that will have that connection wit him.

Since Myranda's confirmed back and she's shown screwing Ramsay in the trailer, she's prime candidate right now for Jeyne Poole's substitute.

Gonna be a bit hard to rectify her involvement in Theon's castration and try to garner some audience sympathy if that's the case though. Even if she has a change of heart or something when suddenly she's the one in danger, I'd tell her to get hosed if she asked for my help.

Actually, now that I think about it, she might be the Kyra substitute. Maybe she gets in over her head and goes to Theon to help her escape, and Theon sells her out, demonstrating his full transformation into Ramsay's creature.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mike N Eich posted:

Jeyne gets practically zero facetime in the books either. All they have to do is hire a new actress and have her assert "I'm Jeyne, I was Sansa's friend" and the audience will shrug and go "okay sure".

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Alekanderu posted:

Reposting for page 111.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Old Man Frowns: Is There More To This Story?

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

Mike N Eich posted:

I like Stannis because he's emblematic of the lowering of expectations this series is good at. First you pull for Ned to put the Lannisters in check and rule as Lord Protector. He dies, so you pull for Robb and his Northern Independence movement, and heck, maybe Tyrion in de facto charge can handle things in Kings Landing pretty well. Woops, Robb is betrayed and killed, Tyrion is thrown from power and then exiled, so who's left? Well, the worst parts of the Lannisters, the Boltons and the Freys as power players (and I guess the Tyrell's too but you don't really get to peek too deep into what's going on with them aside from a couple Sansa chapters). What do we have left? Oh, old, inflexible Stannis. And he looks good by comparison.

I remember a post of Stannis eventually clawing his way to close to holding the Iron Throne and encountering Dany, who has the superior claim, the dragons, and the loyalty of R'hllor (perhaps Melisandre drops him in favor of Danaerys?) and, unable to reconcile his Right To the Throne with reality, goes out like Rorschach in the Watchmen, begging her to blow his head off or something.

Stannis is the "kill em all option" without cheering for literal ice monsters.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Marijuana posted:

Reposting for page 111.

I find it amazing that someone who is a feminist profiles someone based purely on how they look

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
For all the people saying 'Renly won't produce an heir therefore there will be another challenge down the line', remember that Stannis' wife can't carry a male baby to term. So the Baratheon line is essentially dead now unless his wife dies and he takes a fertile new bride.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Shireen would inherit if Stannis dies without a male heir and she is presumably capable of having children someday. The Baratheon line would continue through her, with her children inheriting the Baratheon name rather than her husband's.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Watch Gendry suddenly reemerge as the compromise candidate for the Iron Throne after everyone else dies/goes crazy, thus explaining his prominence in the show.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Speaking of which, Mya Stone played a suspiciously large part in AFFC and she is Robert's firstborn. I know she's not even in the show but could be introduced later on. Of course, bastards have no power unless legitimized and monarchy is kind of dumb anyway, but something to consider? :shrug:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Given enough time to contemplate things, you, too, can come up with a very detailed analysis of TORMUND'S DONG SIZE.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Apoplexy posted:

Old Man Frowns: Is There More To This Story?

look at the hands

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Goons relentlessly attacking a dude for being creepy.

I think GRRM would might say that's "the crow calling the raven black".

Seriously though. He put his hand on her hand. It's more grandfatherly than anything else.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

escape artist posted:

Goons relentlessly attacking a dude for being creepy.

I think GRRM would might say that's "the crow calling the raven black".

Seriously though. He put his hand on her hand. It's more grandfatherly than anything else.

Grandfathers who are touchy feely with their granddaughters but not their grandsons are creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Speaking of which, Mya Stone played a suspiciously large part in AFFC and she is Robert's firstborn. I know she's not even in the show but could be introduced later on. Of course, bastards have no power unless legitimized and monarchy is kind of dumb anyway, but something to consider? :shrug:

IIRC bastards can take thrones as long as they have a good PR person and an army, like everything else in the world the rules can easily be broken.

Cat even said something like that in AGOT regarding Jon.

• Locked thread