Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm gonna try my next flight with no checked baggage, so I guess I need some tips on that. Specifically, how do you deal with stuff like toothpaste and deodorant? I know you can get shampoo and conditioner at the hotel, but what about all the other stuff I need to keep myself groomed?

And then packing a small amount of clothes is another problem, but I think I can figure that one out (just don't pack so many clothes, dufus!).

Travel sized toiletries are available at every grocery store and drug store in America. Get toothpaste, deodorant, shaving cream, and whatever else you need (hand sanitizer and chapstick are always in my kit). Put it in a quart-sized plastic bag and motor on. I almost never check a bag unless I'm traveling for work (suits and poo poo) or have a long layover somewhere that I don't want to lug the extra bag around (I'm looking at you, Frankfurt).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hmmm, for some reason I thought the 3 in 3-1-1 was a quantity, not the volume. I guess that won't be too hard then. Now just gotta figure out if my Timbuk2 bag is good enough or if I should get something specifically for flying.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Timbuk2 is a good bag if you want everything wrinkled. I used to lug it around and it's just plain uncomfortable in my opinion but maybe I just didn't know how to properly organize and pack then.

I went with a Tom Bihn TriStar and it owns. I can pack a ton of clothes + my laptop and shoes and more. It's expensive but the best travel upgrade I've made since global entry / tsa precheck.

Packing cubes are your friend!

Edit: you'd also be surprised what hotels have at the front desk if you ask. Toothbrush, tooth paste, shaving kit, etc. not as good as home mostly but great in a pinch

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
Probably a dumb question, but I last flew 10 years ago. How far out should I be searching for fares on a heavily-traveled route? I'm looking to do a roundtrip JFK/LGA/EWR to LAX for a week in July, with a possible return from SAN instead. Do I look now and assume a popular route won't go anywhere but up? I'm seeing $350 or so as the floor currently.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

chmods please posted:

Probably a dumb question, but I last flew 10 years ago. How far out should I be searching for fares on a heavily-traveled route? I'm looking to do a roundtrip JFK/LGA/EWR to LAX for a week in July, with a possible return from SAN instead. Do I look now and assume a popular route won't go anywhere but up? I'm seeing $350 or so as the floor currently.

Yep, just start watching it and when it drops to a level you're comfortable with, buy it. Also consider including ZFV and PHL in the mix as fares to SoCal have deals from those locations from time to time. And yes, if you buy a ticket from ZFV, you do need to take the Amtrak segment before connecting to the flight in EWR.

Also, make sure you're searching all of the SoCal area, so flights into LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT, and LGB.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

sellouts posted:

Timbuk2 is a good bag if you want everything wrinkled. I used to lug it around and it's just plain uncomfortable in my opinion but maybe I just didn't know how to properly organize and pack then.

I went with a Tom Bihn TriStar and it owns. I can pack a ton of clothes + my laptop and shoes and more. It's expensive but the best travel upgrade I've made since global entry / tsa precheck.

Packing cubes are your friend!

Edit: you'd also be surprised what hotels have at the front desk if you ask. Toothbrush, tooth paste, shaving kit, etc. not as good as home mostly but great in a pinch

I don't travel nearly enough to justify spending that much on a carry on (at that price I'd be better off just checking luggage) but I was looking at this bag: http://www.amazon.com/American-Tourister-Luggage-Upright-Suitcase/dp/B007UNSIH2

Pfizzer
Apr 25, 2007
I have found return flights from Brisbane to London flying Qantas and British Airways.
Going 4 Oct to 11 Nov.
$1729 AUD!!!! I think that's the best I can find. Unfortunately I have to wait just under 6 hrs in transit for both legs. I don't care though for the price :)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm planning a flight from Europe to US West Coast and I can choose between several airlines with similar prices and flight duration. In what order would you rate them (Best ... Worst)?

Delta
Lufthansa
KLM
United Airlines
US Airways

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

KLM
Lufthansa
The rest

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Jeoh posted:

KLM
Lufthansa
The rest

You're Dutch, maybe you're biased... :raise:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

In coach it doesn't matter. They all stink.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

In coach it doesn't matter. They all stink.

Troof. I would pick United because I have access to Economy Plus and if you have to be in coach, Economy Plus is the only way to go. Delta's Economy Comfort is close but not quite there.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Uh, so I just did a search on Kayak and found a flight from Honolulu to Jakarta (via Manila) for $525 with Philippine Air, departing July 19th. It's considerably cheaper than the other fares I've been seeing and almost half of the price quoted on the airline's website for the same flight. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but it almost sounds too good to be true; is this some kind of horrible trick? The fact that nothing even approaching that price comes up on Philippine Air's website is what concerns me the most. I usually avoid buying from third-parties if I can, but this is awfully tempting.

EDIT: Haha nevermind, I decided to click the link to see what would happen and it just took me straight through to the Philippine Air website anyway, quoting me $975. How did Kayak manage to be so off? Even without tax the fare is still $775.

EDIT 2: This was a lot less expensive a month ago. Why didn't I buy tickets earlier? :negative:

pomegranates fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 13, 2014

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

pomegranates posted:

Uh, so I just did a search on Kayak and found a flight from Honolulu to Jakarta (via Manila) for $525 with Philippine Air, departing July 19th. It's considerably cheaper than the other fares I've been seeing and almost half of the price quoted on the airline's website for the same flight. I'd buy it in a heartbeat but it almost sounds too good to be true; is this some kind of horrible trick? The fact that nothing even approaching that price comes up on Philippine Air's website is what concerns me the most. I usually avoid buying from third-parties if I can, but this is awfully tempting.

EDIT: Haha nevermind, I decided to click the link to see what would happen and it just took me straight through to the Philippine Air website anyway, quoting me $975. How did Kayak manage to be so off? Even without tax the fare is still $775.

EDIT 2: This was a lot less expensive a month ago. Why didn't I buy tickets earlier? :negative:

I had the same problem earlier in this thread, found a great fare on ITA but wasn't able to book it and didn't know any travel agents I could easily ask :(

By the way, for your flight, consider this option: Book a flight with Delta from HNL to SIN for $436 (via NRT), book a flight with any low cost carrier from Singapore to Jakarta for $60. Assuming you are trying to get a one way flight instead of a return, if your price is for a return then you have a really good deal. Transiting through Singapore is not only painless but it's actually fun, best airport in the world.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I had the same problem earlier in this thread, found a great fare on ITA but wasn't able to book it and didn't know any travel agents I could easily ask :(

By the way, for your flight, consider this option: Book a flight with Delta from HNL to SIN for $436 (via NRT), book a flight with any low cost carrier from Singapore to Jakarta for $60. Assuming you are trying to get a one way flight instead of a return, if your price is for a return then you have a really good deal. Transiting through Singapore is not only painless but it's actually fun, best airport in the world.
Thanks for the tip! I just checked and going via Singapore comes out, weirdly, to $525. I even get to make a brief stop at Narita (also weird, if I wanted to get off there it would cost $200 more, I don't think I'll ever understand how airfares work). The layover in Singapore will be a lengthy seven hours in the middle of the night but it doesn't sound like the worst place in the world to be stuck for a while. I mean, I once had a layover in a literal field and I survived.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

pomegranates posted:

Thanks for the tip! I just checked and going via Singapore comes out, weirdly, to $525. I even get to make a brief stop at Narita (also weird, if I wanted to get off there it would cost $200 more, I don't think I'll ever understand how airfares work). The layover in Singapore will be a lengthy seven hours in the middle of the night but it doesn't sound like the worst place in the world to be stuck for a while. I mean, I once had a layover in a literal field and I survived.

Where did you check your Singapore -> Jakarta flights? Kayak/other booking sites are not that great for low cost airline coverage, for those you want to check out Skyscanner (which will then send you somewhere else for booking, it's just a search engine)

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Where did you check your Singapore -> Jakarta flights? Kayak/other booking sites are not that great for low cost airline coverage, for those you want to check out Skyscanner (which will then send you somewhere else for booking, it's just a search engine)
Yeah, I know, that's why I was so surprised to see such a cheap flight there! For Jakarta, I just went to Air Asia. $90 for a one way ticket sounds pretty good to me. It's the Hawai'i part that was making things complicated, I gotta stop visiting so many drat islands.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The fare on kayak likely expired, which is why you couldn't book it. It means someone else snagged it before kayak was able to update their fare availability database.

The nested itinerary suggested is fine, but be aware of the consequences of delays causing you to miss any part of it (you will be treated as it being your fault you missed). Also be aware of potential checked luggage agreement problems, depending on carrier they might not have an inter line agreement or explaining to the agent at check in may be problematic.

Your Tokyo stop off being more is likely the airlines choice, however it could be tax and fee related. If I have time I will see but in London, for example, if you stopover you pay APD, if you connect you don't. It makes a big difference in cost.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Also be aware of potential checked luggage agreement problems, depending on carrier they might not have an inter line agreement or explaining to the agent at check in may be problematic.

I'm bringing chocolates for the ticketing agent at AUS who is going to have to figure out how to check my bag from AUS to CAN on three different airlines, one of which is not in the same alliance (UA, LH, and CZ; AUS-IAH-IAD-LHR//LHR-FRA-HKG//HKG-CAN) in a couple of weeks.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Taking the long way around, eh?

Take a pic of that baggage tag if you get that done.

At least you are starting with a US agent.

pomegranates
Oct 16, 2012

sellouts posted:

The fare on kayak likely expired, which is why you couldn't book it. It means someone else snagged it before kayak was able to update their fare availability database.

The nested itinerary suggested is fine, but be aware of the consequences of delays causing you to miss any part of it (you will be treated as it being your fault you missed). Also be aware of potential checked luggage agreement problems, depending on carrier they might not have an inter line agreement or explaining to the agent at check in may be problematic.

Your Tokyo stop off being more is likely the airlines choice, however it could be tax and fee related. If I have time I will see but in London, for example, if you stopover you pay APD, if you connect you don't. It makes a big difference in cost.
The layovers are long enough that I'm not too worried, and the first two legs of the trip are both with Delta. I also don't typically check any baggage, so that's one less thing to stress about. I also like that flying into Singapore gives me the option to change plans if going to Indonesia becomes impossible (see: volcanoes). Either way, I booked it already, so fingers crossed I guess!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Taking the long way around, eh?

Take a pic of that baggage tag if you get that done.

At least you are starting with a US agent.

Yeah, I already had IAH-IAD-LHR as the outbound of a trip to Europe with my family. Then they asked me if I wouldn't mind terribly spending a week in CAN; such is life, and they paid the change fee.

But you're right about starting with a US-based agent, even though I forgot to mention that the trip is plated on three different ticket stocks. I imagine it's going to be quite interesting trying to get the CZ agent in CAN to check the bag to LHR on the way back. Their website is nigh on unusable in English. :ohdear:

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 14, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

pomegranates posted:

The layovers are long enough that I'm not too worried, and the first two legs of the trip are both with Delta. I also don't typically check any baggage, so that's one less thing to stress about. I also like that flying into Singapore gives me the option to change plans if going to Indonesia becomes impossible (see: volcanoes). Either way, I booked it already, so fingers crossed I guess!

Seems reasonable to me; making travel decisions that involve risk aren't always a bad idea; the key is that you understand what that risk is, and it sounds like you do. Enjoy your trip!

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
How far in advance should I buy a rt ticket from SFO>London for Christmas?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Emasculatrix posted:

How far in advance should I buy a rt ticket from SFO>London for Christmas?

When it reaches a price you're willing to pay. There is no, "best" time or specific season, except to say that summer is almost always more expensive than winter, though Christmas is generally more than before or after the holidays. You have to watch it over time and if it reaches a price you're willing to pay, go for it.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Are there sites/apps that will alert you of low fares from city x to city y without having specific dates in mind? I want to go to Seattle some time in the spring or summer, but most sites I've looked at have you enter specific dates and then maybe give you options for +/- 3 days. I'm a lot more flexible than that.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Are there sites/apps that will alert you of low fares from city x to city y without having specific dates in mind? I want to go to Seattle some time in the spring or summer, but most sites I've looked at have you enter specific dates and then maybe give you options for +/- 3 days. I'm a lot more flexible than that.

Matrix search over at ITA; do searches in the calendar view two months at a time; you merely specify the number of nights you want to be gone. Great tool for finding random dates with lower fares.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyscanner also allows you to do monthly searches as well as searches to multiple destinations (i.e. an entire country). Not as good for fares on legacies/flag carries as ITA but ITA has really bad LCC coverage in Europe/Asia whereas Skyscanner includes them. Skyscanner also has multi-ticket itineraries whereas in ITA everything is on one booking. In short, use both :P

gaan kak
Jul 22, 2007

RAP APOLOGIST
Is there an easy way to find good airfare to Europe if I am very flexible with dates and entry/exit point? My brother and I are backpacking around Europe for 6 weeks this summer, and the only stipulation is that we need to be back by the last week of July. We live in different cities right now, but we'd like to meet up and fly out from one location.

I've been using Skyscanner, searching From: USA and To: Germany, France, etc., but that's a bit tedious.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Summer in Europe is popular everywhere. As is backpacking.

Any sort of deal is likely to go quickly and your approach makes sense. Finding a good deal is almost always very very tedious but when you find it it feels great. Good luck!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Try searching by hubs. NYC to (transatlantic European hub), like Paris, Vienna, Frankfurt, Amsterdam. You might also find crazy good deals through less central hubs like Istanbul, Reykjavik, or Helsinki.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Reykjavik is good because IcelandAir. NYC to CDG, LHR, AMS and FRA are your best alternatives. Worth looking at flights from Philly and Boston as well.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hub routing is usually the easiest to search but don't limit yourself to that. Sometimes a smaller route through a hub will be subsidized and be cheaper than if you booked just the first flight to the hub.

Is he from NYC? I didn't see that mentioned in his post. You can possibly save some money trying other airports but recently when I've looked the cost to get to those airports outweighs any savings. Admittedly it's been a while so this may have changed.

Also Icelandair does offer a free stopover on the way to or from Europe if you're into that, but god help you if any of your flights are delayed.

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

Any suggestions for flights from Dallas (both Love Field and DFW are fine) to Vegas? Depart June 12 or 13 and leave on the 16th. I'm thinking Spirit and Southwest are going to be the cheapest.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

gaan kak posted:

Is there an easy way to find good airfare to Europe if I am very flexible with dates and entry/exit point? My brother and I are backpacking around Europe for 6 weeks this summer, and the only stipulation is that we need to be back by the last week of July. We live in different cities right now, but we'd like to meet up and fly out from one location.

I've been using Skyscanner, searching From: USA and To: Germany, France, etc., but that's a bit tedious.

Check here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/, especially the "Good Deals in Economy" thread. They talk way too much about maximizing points on the rest of the forum but there might still be good deals.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.
Aww man, I had found an excellent deal using Air Philippines to go from Toronto --> Manila --> Bangkok on May 7th for $625 but all of the prices jumped to at least $775 today (when I was going to book it). Should I wait or book before any further jumps?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Wilhelm posted:

Aww man, I had found an excellent deal using Air Philippines to go from Toronto --> Manila --> Bangkok on May 7th for $625 but all of the prices jumped to at least $775 today (when I was going to book it). Should I wait or book before any further jumps?

That's still a really good fare. Book that poo poo.

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Mackieman posted:

That's still a really good fare. Book that poo poo.

Even for one way? It doesn't seem bad though it's a little disappointing I juuuust missed a $150 jump. Ah well.

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
My husband and I just redeemed our British avios and over Christmas we're flying first class to Rome, London, and then back to the states. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a lot of Avios! Congrats!

Can I ask how many Avios it cost you?