Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I honestly find it super weird that Nintendo focused on the 3d for the 3DS when streetpass is, IMO, far more innovative and interesting. I didn't even know it was a feature until after I bought mine, and the streetpass plaza games have taken up more of my time than any of the retail games I've bought, even monster hunter and rune factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Jetsetlemming posted:

I honestly find it super weird that Nintendo focused on the 3d for the 3DS when streetpass is, IMO, far more innovative and interesting. I didn't even know it was a feature until after I bought mine, and the streetpass plaza games have taken up more of my time than any of the retail games I've bought, even monster hunter and rune factory.

In the two years I've owned my 3DS, I've gotten maybe 5 streetpasses legitimately, meaning not from people I live with and not from nerd conventions.

I love the feature to death, and it would be really cool if games more thoroughly integrated it in, but only if I ever got them regularly, which I just don't. This, with having lived in a fairly large city and working in a very busy shopping center next to a Gamestop.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

cobalt impurity posted:

In the two years I've owned my 3DS, I've gotten maybe 5 streetpasses legitimately, meaning not from people I live with and not from nerd conventions.

I love the feature to death, and it would be really cool if games more thoroughly integrated it in, but only if I ever got them regularly, which I just don't. This, with having lived in a fairly large city and working in a very busy shopping center next to a Gamestop.

Has that thing with WiFi hotspots Nintendo did awhile back made any difference to people who don't live in population dense areas?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda wish I hadn't bought all the new streetpass games, they are very reliant on streetpasses and I barely past by anyone lately.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Leofish posted:

Has that thing with WiFi hotspots Nintendo did awhile back made any difference to people who don't live in population dense areas?

Yes in the sense that we can now set up homepasses. No in the sense that I still don't get them very often in the wild since I don't go to mcdonalds or starbucks very often.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alteisen posted:

I kinda wish I hadn't bought all the new streetpass games, they are very reliant on streetpasses and I barely past by anyone lately.

I end up with the same people considering I go to work. Granted I do end up with a few new people (advantages of riding the train to work)

But goddamn I wish some of these fuckers would pick WHITE.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Leofish posted:

I get about 20+ every day I go to class now. :v: Though there was that weird four month period where my 3DS just couldn't connect to the attwifi hotspots on campus at all.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
Streetpass doesn't add much to games for me. It either becomes a weird meta-gaming thing (feels kinda like energy based microtransaction games) or are used for superfluous features. The most interesting thing I got out of it is looking at what games people are playing.

Many people are playing E-shop and settings.

The 3D on the other hand is neat when it doesn't slow to a crawl. It also obscures the hideously low resolution screen.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Shindragon posted:

But goddamn I wish some of these fuckers would pick WHITE.

I've had good luck putting "I need [color] shirt" in what I say to people I street passed on a regular basis (people at college, etc.) If you pass these people all the time, someone might throw you a bone and change their settings.

Picked up Virtues Last Reward and my reserved bravely default from GS today. The guy stated that Nintendo is starting to limit the amounts of physical copies they send to the stores, wanting their customers to buy digitally. I got the last copy of BD, simply becaise i reserved it. Might be something to consider for those, like myself, that prefer carts for handheld things, in the future.

He did state that, aside from the reserves, they were only sent 5 copies. I know that this is coming from "a guy that works at GameStop", but it might be the answer to why some games are not being pressed anymore, cough cough cave story cough.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
I'll move to digital when Nintendo fixes their God awful account system.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
I'll only switch to digital if they outright force me to. Like with Ace Attorney 5, otherwise its all physical and Special/Limited editions.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

trunkwontopen posted:

I've had good luck putting "I need [color] shirt" in what I say to people I street passed on a regular basis (people at college, etc.) If you pass these people all the time, someone might throw you a bone and change their settings.

Picked up Virtues Last Reward and my reserved bravely default from GS today. The guy stated that Nintendo is starting to limit the amounts of physical copies they send to the stores, wanting their customers to buy digitally. I got the last copy of BD, simply becaise i reserved it. Might be something to consider for those, like myself, that prefer carts for handheld things, in the future.

He did state that, aside from the reserves, they were only sent 5 copies. I know that this is coming from "a guy that works at GameStop", but it might be the answer to why some games are not being pressed anymore, cough cough cave story cough.

The Gamestop I went to had a huge Bravely Default display, but had no loose copies of the game in store at all. He said Nintendo makes them put up the display, but they have no physical copies of the game to sell to anyone who didn't pre-order. I don't have room for the digital download, so unless I get lucky at a Wal Mart or something it looks like this game is passing me by. I should have pre-ordered, but I didn't so I guess that's that.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Leofish posted:

To be honest I've noticed if I carry my 3DS with me to Walmart / the mall / out shopping at a few places that I'll pick up anywhere from 3-10 streetpasses now. Before they introduced the system I might, maybe, get one.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Casull posted:

I would consider it, myself. I do have some games that I bought from the eShop, like the Mega Man series and Push/Crashmo, but I don't want to have another "journey" like I did when I transferred my files, or, even worse, my 3DS gets stolen/breaks. I have a Nintendo ID, tie my games to that, and let me keep them on there. Perhaps more people would utilize this feature, if Nintendo could somehow get a system that is unique. Listen to the customers!

Leofish posted:

The Gamestop I went to had a huge Bravely Default display, but had no loose copies of the game in store at all. He said Nintendo makes them put up the display, but they have no physical copies of the game to sell to anyone who didn't pre-order. I don't have room for the digital download, so unless I get lucky at a Wal Mart or something it looks like this game is passing me by. I should have pre-ordered, but I didn't so I guess that's that.

I expected them to have a few copies on the shelves, just like they do with any other game. Imagine you have already done so, but did you check Best Buy, Amazon, etc?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

trunkwontopen posted:

I expected them to have a few copies on the shelves, just like they do with any other game. Imagine you have already done so, but did you check Best Buy, Amazon, etc?

I had popped in to GS on Friday to see if they had the game, since I walk by the place every single day, but I was planning on taking a look around at some of the other stores Monday, when I have the day off. I suppose I can always order online, but I like to shop at brick and mortar stores if I can.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit
I don't think physical copies of the regular edition are going to be very hard to find. Am I dumb for thinking this? Because if I am I might need to make a stop at Walmart before work tomorrow. :ohdear:

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
Okay, so I have two questions with regards to StreetPassing.

The first question is how does StreetPassing work with regards to in game benefits compared to the max number of people you can have in queue. I know that you can have ten people in queue (with another then people in your plaza) at a time. But do you keep StreetPassing after that and just not letting people into the plaza for the purposes of in game benefits? Like, if I StreetPass twenty-five people and only the last five have Bravely Default data, will I be poo poo out of luck and not get those StreetPasses unless I constantly am clearing StreetPasses?

The second question is can I get in game benefits from StreetPassing through a HomePass? I set one up today and have already gotten 20+ StreetPasses. A few of those had people whose most recent software was Bravely Default, and yet I received no StreetPass data for the game. My initial thought was to just assume that none of them had set up StreetPassing in game, but the paranoid part of me started to wonder if you just couldn't get any of the in game benefits through a HomePass StreetPass.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

NIV3K posted:

Okay, so I have two questions with regards to StreetPassing.

The first question is how does StreetPassing work with regards to in game benefits compared to the max number of people you can have in queue. I know that you can have ten people in queue (with another then people in your plaza) at a time. But do you keep StreetPassing after that and just not letting people into the plaza for the purposes of in game benefits? Like, if I StreetPass twenty-five people and only the last five have Bravely Default data, will I be poo poo out of luck and not get those StreetPasses unless I constantly am clearing StreetPasses?

The second question is can I get in game benefits from StreetPassing through a HomePass? I set one up today and have already gotten 20+ StreetPasses. A few of those had people whose most recent software was Bravely Default, and yet I received no StreetPass data for the game. My initial thought was to just assume that none of them had set up StreetPassing in game, but the paranoid part of me started to wonder if you just couldn't get any of the in game benefits through a HomePass StreetPass.

Each game/app will have its own separate Streetpass data. The Mii Plaza can only store ten at a time, but it will be independent of another game's data. Some games like Pokemon will store up to 99 Streetpasses at a time. So if you Streetpass someone with data for the Mii Plaza and Bravely Default, you will get both at once. If say your Mii Plaza is full but your Bravely Default is not, you would still get the Bravely Default tag.

Homepass is for all intents and purposes like any other Streetpass from a relay. You're just unlucky.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Strange Quark posted:

Each game/app will have its own separate Streetpass data. The Mii Plaza can only store ten at a time, but it will be independent of another game's data. Some games like Pokemon will store up to 99 Streetpasses at a time. So if you Streetpass someone with data for the Mii Plaza and Bravely Default, you will get both at once. If say your Mii Plaza is full but your Bravely Default is not, you would still get the Bravely Default tag.

Homepass is for all intents and purposes like any other Streetpass from a relay. You're just unlucky.

Awesome! I'm okay with being unlucky.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
If it means anything, I picked Bravely Default on release day without a pre-order at my local Best Buy. The shelf wasn't stocked yet so they had to get it from the back, but I didn't get the feeling they were short on copies.

It's a neat game so far, giving me plenty to do while I try to beat the stomach flu. :shobon:

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Afro posted:

I don't think physical copies of the regular edition are going to be very hard to find. Am I dumb for thinking this? Because if I am I might need to make a stop at Walmart before work tomorrow. :ohdear:

The store I preordered at got 5 copies for 6 preorders. I assume it was just Gamestop being Gamestop though.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

MeruFM posted:

The 3D on the other hand is neat when it doesn't slow to a crawl. It also obscures the hideously low resolution screen.

This really is a great side effect of the 3D and I'm surprised it's rarely mentioned. I suppose it's different for everyone, but it feels like my brain gives me free anti-aliasing and a resolution boost when it combines the two images, and it's startling how much worse the screen looks when I turn the 3D off (which is why I never do).

Fleedar fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 9, 2014

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, a quick question regarding Link Between Worlds (This seemed like the best thread to post it in.) Do I need to use the rental items from Ravio to progress, or is this just another "MIYAMOTO-SAN HELPS YOU BEAT THE GAME" gimmick?

I was pretty depressed when I was on the cusp of a new Zelda and walked into this guy's shop and saw that he seemed to have every item in the game just waiting for me.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
its a zelda game, every dungeon has an item you have to use to progress. Them all being rentable from the word go means you can do the dungeons in any order

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Casull posted:

Yeah basically. I've been digital-only on PC for years and years, and I've switched to digital only for the Sony systems too. I don't trust the 3DS eshop, and they almost never discount games anyway so the retail prices end up being lower than digital which doesn't happen on other marketplaces.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

LordHippoman posted:

So, a quick question regarding Link Between Worlds (This seemed like the best thread to post it in.) Do I need to use the rental items from Ravio to progress, or is this just another "MIYAMOTO-SAN HELPS YOU BEAT THE GAME" gimmick?

I was pretty depressed when I was on the cusp of a new Zelda and walked into this guy's shop and saw that he seemed to have every item in the game just waiting for me.
...You... really need to pay more attention? This has been one of the most hyped up central talked about features of the game.

Ravio's shop is the only place in the game where you get those items. You rent them at first and later have the option to buy them. Dungeons have other items that aren't essential to game progress (but are really really useful). With a few exceptions, item rental and buying lets you tackle the dungeons in any order.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

LordHippoman posted:

It's not really a gimmick, it's a core mechanic of the game.
  • Dungeons require the use of certain items, which shouldn't be a surprise since it's sort of a trope in Zelda games.
  • For the most part, you can do the dungeons in whatever order you like because you have access to all the items from the start.
  • You can rent the items for a small amount of rupees, but they will be taken back if you die (and must be rented again).
  • You can buy the items for much more rupees and they are yours permanently.
  • Permanent ownership also offers another advantage but would probably be considered a spoiler so I won't mention it.
I'm sure folks in here don't mind talking about a great 3DS game, but there is also the Zelda Megathread if you want to talk about it a whole lot more.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
If you could chose between Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey and Bravely Default as your next RPG purchase which one would you guys get?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shodanjr_gr posted:

If you could chose between Fire Emblem, Etrian Odyssey and Bravely Default as your next RPG purchase which one would you guys get?

Hard to pick one, they're all so different.

FE is a strategy game, Bravely is very similar to SNES RPG's with a FUCKLOAD of customization and Etrian is very old school, its hard its grindy and you make your own map in it.

I say, pick 2 and flip a quarter.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

That's not an easy question.

Fire Emblem is a strategy, and the plot of the game isn't the most amazing story you'll ever experience. Etrian Odyssey is somewhat difficuly and full of long, complicated, boring battle related stuff. Bravely Default is the most RPG like of the three, but i've heard the pacing towards the end gets sort of ridiculous.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

Well the good thing is EO4 and Bravely Default both have really long demos that should give you an idea of what you want to play next. In EO4's case the demo is literally just the opening parts of the game, and you can transfer the save to the full game (I love this model). In BD's case it's a standalone ~6 hour campaign type thing that gives you a subset of jobs and equipment to play with to do some quests. Since it's standalone you can't transfer the save, but you do get rewards in the actual game for playing the demo like starting with more gold and equipment. I'm not sure if FE has a demo, I feel like it's the kind of game that wouldn't translate to a demo too well.

I've already played and beaten FE and EO4 and loved them both, BD is actually my next purchase. The 3DS is a good system for JRPGs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

LordHippoman posted:

Please don't be dissapointed that Nintendo is trying some (small) new things instead of regurgitating the same thing over and over.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So how dense is fire emblem to get into? I've never played one before but I picked up FE:A to go with my new 3ds. I've never played one before and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

VaultAggie posted:

So how dense is fire emblem to get into? I've never played one before but I picked up FE:A to go with my new 3ds. I've never played one before and I'm still not sure what I'm doing.

A lot of the weird dense stuff is optional, you can just mash people into other people and get by

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

VaultAggie posted:

FEA is my first fire emblem, and I think I've spent about.... 40 hours on it so far? if you were an FFT fan then yeah definitely it's a game you can get into. I also had no idea what I was doing. There are definitely levels of how into it you want it be.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I'm not sure if FE has a demo, I feel like it's the kind of game that wouldn't translate to a demo too well.

FE has the first couple of chapters as a demo but you can't transfer anything over the full game.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The first few chapters are also the roughest part of the game and isn't really a good indication of what the rest of the game is like.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

If you get a bigger SD card, you just copy paste everything from the old one to the new one right? It won't delete all my games?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

If you get a bigger SD card, you just copy paste everything from the old one to the new one right? It won't delete all my games?

Just copy everything over on a PC and you'll be fine, though I heard that Animal Crossing and maybe one other game may complain/have a problem, though I'm not clear on what/how exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

For the millionth time, yes.

• Locked thread