Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Tharizdun posted:

Doesn't let you recycle Cliques of various stripes,

How doesn't it?

e: Familiar's Ruse also has the advantage that your opponent can't bolt your 187 faerie in response to you playing it, if that becomes relevant.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

down-left, up, up-left? What does this 187 mean in this context?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Get with the early 90's man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwnyTZW0DOc

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwnyTZW0DOc

Enter the Battlefield effects.

e damnit gout :saddowns:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Don't mind me, just postin from the porch swing at the old folks home.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So this is what I have been testing for GP Richmond:

Creatures
4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer
1 ????
Spells
4 Bump in the Night
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
4 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
Lands
4 Mountain
2 Blood Crypt
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Arid Mesa
3 Blackcleave Cliffs
1 Clifftop Retreat
2 Sacred Foundry

SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 3 Volcanic Fallout
SB: 2 Stony Silence
SB: 2 Rain of Gore
SB: 1 Searing Blaze

It seems... good. Going to three colors means I don't get to ruin people's day with a Blood Moon, but instead get to slam Rest in Peace and Stony Silence. It also means I get to play all of the "good" Modern burn spells and don't need to dick around with awful creatures. I have one open slot in the maindeck that I can't really decide on. Four Searing Blazes was pretty bad, so I moved one to the side. I've tried your usual Burn creature suspects in that slot, with Keldon Marauder probably being the best so far. I'm not running a Watery Grave for that hott Countersquall tech I've seen online, and I don't think I want it.

Any glaring omissions in the sideboard? Any idea what to do with that one opening main? I toyed with dropping a Shard Volley or two and getting some Figure of Destiny action, but I have a feeling that is really bad and my judgment is clouded by how much I enjoy that card. Dropping some for Keldon Marauders/Hellspark Elementals might be okay, though.

ADDITIONALLY: Has anyone tested a hatebears deck? There's a GW one with Scooze that seems good, as well as a mono-white one that runs like, 4x Ghost Quarter 3x Tec Edge.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I might be able to put the cards together for the white version. It's pretty hateful.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Got a foil Mimeoplasm and regular Mirrodin Triskelion for Breakfast Burrito! :dance: Just need 2 more Pacts of Negation, 3 Chrome Mox, and a playset of Elvish Spirit Guide (and Giant Solifuge and Lord of Extinction, I guess - anyone want to trade for a Revised Plateau and Wooded Foothills? :v:) until I'm done, as well as some sideboard stuff like Leyline of Sanctity. I even got an Underworld Cerberus for the alternate win Chamale posted a few weeks back!

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Went to a modern fnm. Went 4-0-1 with the tie being against the only real deck present, a martyr proc deck. I had him dead in five or six more turns but oh well. Also played against two land destruction decks lol.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What were you playing?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Sampatrick posted:

What were you playing?

UWr control, as is my people's noble tradition.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I am sure I've seen a bunch of Mishra, Artificer Prodigy Modern deck lists running around, and I absolutely love the thing. However, for the life of me I can't find the one I'm looking for, so if anyone could point me in the general direction of a deck list for it, I'd appreciate it. (Yes, I know it's not all that amazing, I don't care. It does awesome things, and I will play it.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jenx posted:

I am sure I've seen a bunch of Mishra, Artificer Prodigy Modern deck lists running around, and I absolutely love the thing. However, for the life of me I can't find the one I'm looking for, so if anyone could point me in the general direction of a deck list for it, I'd appreciate it. (Yes, I know it's not all that amazing, I don't care. It does awesome things, and I will play it.)

Double Sundering Titan sounds fun.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

bhsman posted:

Got a foil Mimeoplasm and regular Mirrodin Triskelion for Breakfast Burrito! :dance: Just need 2 more Pacts of Negation, 3 Chrome Mox, and a playset of Elvish Spirit Guide (and Giant Solifuge and Lord of Extinction, I guess - anyone want to trade for a Revised Plateau and Wooded Foothills? :v:) until I'm done, as well as some sideboard stuff like Leyline of Sanctity. I even got an Underworld Cerberus for the alternate win Chamale posted a few weeks back!

Due to the unchanged Banned List, the printing of 0 Goblins in BNG (understandable for the flavor of the block), and 0 playable red cards, and my desire for rest and time for meals between rounds because gently caress Legacy, I've jumped on the Breakfast Burrito train and will be representing it at the major tournaments this year.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Due to the unchanged Banned List, the printing of 0 Goblins in BNG (understandable for the flavor of the block), and 0 playable red cards, and my desire for rest and time for meals between rounds because gently caress Legacy, I've jumped on the Breakfast Burrito train and will be representing it at the major tournaments this year.

Does that mean that all your meals will be Breakfast Burritos?

I still contend that dredge is the more consistent deck :colbert:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Jenx posted:

Ichor wellspring, epochrasite, thopter foundry, chromatic star/sphere, thirst for knowledge/perilous research, lightning bolt/galvanic blast, you get the idea.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Might I suggest Solidarity?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Zoness posted:

Does that mean that all your meals will be Breakfast Burritos?

I still contend that dredge is the more consistent deck :colbert:

I almost did that at a tournament in Philly, courtesy of managing to get to Reading Terminal Market for all 3 meals.

I'm sure it is. But at this point my goal is just to spike a tournament, and if I cared about consistency I'd certainly choose something other than Burrito or Dredge.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oops all spells is a lot more dickish in my opinion. Game one is breakfast burrito, game two they side in grave hate, you're now playing goblin charbelcher.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AgentSythe posted:

Might I suggest Solidarity?

I can vouch for this option being a lot of fun, if much much more difficult than Burrito. I've been slowly building up the deck (Getting my FoW playset soon, trading off the FS Goyfs I never use!) and playing the deck with proxies to learn it, and it's so great, just because of how much control you have over the stack. You get to have the option to respond to everything

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I can vouch for this option being a lot of fun, if much much more difficult than Burrito. I've been slowly building up the deck (Getting my FoW playset soon, trading off the FS Goyfs I never use!) and playing the deck with proxies to learn it, and it's so great, just because of how much control you have over the stack. You get to have the option to respond to everything

Waiting until damage assignment with your death on the stack and just winning the game is the sweetest feeling on earth

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So what price do people think bitterblossom will settle at? I have a play set and I've been thinking about liquidating my collection recently.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I just got another playset of LEDs. I could make 2 ANT decks (or ANT/TES) now and play them against each other but that seems boring. Is there a burrito deck that plays it or even anything else that uses them?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Belcher and Dredge use them. Also, Painted Stone (the UR version running Transmute Artifact and Intuitions) use them, since if you can cast intuition grabbing Grind Stone, LED, and some artifact with Goblin Welder in play you win the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoah sweet. I'm looking up the deck lists now and I can run any of them. Thanks! Didn't even know dredge uses them because I only played it back in extended and only knew of the no-mana version for legacy. Makes sense though.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

GEMorris posted:

So what price do people think bitterblossom will settle at? I have a play set and I've been thinking about liquidating my collection recently.

I'd say it's about peaked right now for the short term. If you want to wait a while, it might be higher this summer with the Modern PTQ season, assuming a top tier deck wants 4 of it, but that's a gamble. If you're not playing with them or intending to build a Modern deck with them, I'd sell now rather than wait and hope for a higher price.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

wrong thread

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This is what I've been testing for Modern:

Deck: UB Faeries

//Main
4 Secluded Glen
3 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Mutavault
3 Island
1 Swamp
4 Darkslick Shores
2 River of Tears
2 Watery Grave
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4 Thoughtseize
2 Inquisition of Kozilek
3 Mana Leak
4 Bitterblossom
4 Spellstutter Sprite
4 Scion of Oona
2 Vendilion Clique
4 Mistbind Clique
4 Cryptic Command
3 Dismember
2 Jace Beleren

//Sideboard
2 Hurkyl's Recall
3 Deathmark
2 Engineered Explosives
2 Surgical Extraction
2 Damnation
1 Batterskull
1 Jace Beleren
2 Spellskite

Display deck statistics

Thoughts? I'm not too sure about the sideboard, it's mostly just been some guesses so far.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I'm pretty sure you should be running 4 Watery Grave and a handful of fetchlands here.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What a Judas posted:

I'm pretty sure you should be running 4 Watery Grave and a handful of fetchlands here.

I disagree. I think you don't want to be taking that life loss. You're already playing thoughtseize and BB. Since there are enough other UB duals that are adequate, I think its advantageous to not have to take damage from your manabase with so many other self inflicted damage cards. Especially against the aggressive decks that BB helps a lot against. That said, if in testing they find that the other duals are not good enough, then they should run some shocks.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I tested a build with more fetchlands and more shocks, but like Locke just said, the problem is that it doesn't significantly help out for fixing, and it makes it so you take a lot more damage from your mana base.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

GEMorris posted:

There are only two answers; sell now if you don't believe, or sell in two weeks if you do believe (that a pro or pros will take Bitterblossom decks to the Top 8 of the Pro Tour).

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

How have the 6 discard spells been treating you? I've always very much disliked playing a bunch of discard in Faeries. I'd rather play more counters, because as instants they keep more options open for you on your opponents turn, and more cards in your hand for your opponent to (mis)play around. I'd suggest Remands or Spell Snares, as they don't get much worse in top deck situations.

I agree with you on not going all in on fetch + Watery Grave, but Urborg and a basic Swamp? That seems a little iffy. I'd rather use the one or two non-blue sources that the deck can support next to Mutavaults for Tectonic Edges. I also have been very happy with River of Tears so far, and I think I actually like them a little bit more than Darkslick Shores. It doesn't come up often, but if you ever have to put down a Darkslick Shores as your 4th land... :doh:

Your sideboard does seem a little random. Are you very afraid of creature decks? You have way too many cards to board in against them; I wouldn't know what to board out! I'd put in some of the discard from the maindeck in here, and probably an extra Vendilion Clique, and I'd go with Nihil Spellbomb over Surgical Extraction if you want graveyard hate. I also have a Jace in my sideboard for Jund/Control decks, but for you it's the 3rd copy. Do you like him that much?

If you happen to get some testing in versus Melira Pod against competent players, could you report how that went? I've heard mixed things varying from "completely unwinnable" to "tough, but winnable", and I'd personally like to hear more opinions.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That Faeries list looks to have a pretty greedy Mana-base and I don't understand why. There are only three black spells in the entire list so why is there such an emphasis on being able to cast both colors in any number every single turn? You have Zero turn 1 blue spells, Nothing in the curve that needs black Past 2, and none of your Black spells need more than a single black mana. (If you plan on casting Dismember for black mana on a consistent basis you're pretty much ignoring what makes the card good and should just play some other black removal)

Secluded Glenn and Darkslick Shores in particular feel superfluous. Are you really going to be dropping a Turn 1 Glenn, immediately telling your opponent what deck your on only to cast Thoughtseize Turn 1 and never need more than a single black mana for the rest of the game? Is having both blue and black turn 1 so important you're willing to deal with all the times you're going to groan with annoyance when you need a land to make the Cryptic in your hand live and you draw a Darkslick Shores?

Not to mention that thanks to Tron a lot of decks are attacking mana bases in the sideboard and even some in the main and you're really susceptible to that splash damage .

4 Mutavaults, 4 Watery Graves, 2-3 Tar Pits, and then a selection of Basics and Fetches would give you a mana base that gives you your colors consistently, leaves you less open to having your mana-base attacked, lowers the risk of drawing ETB Tapped lands late to mid-game and only costs you a small amount of life per game in exchange. It's worth exploring.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 10, 2014

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Turn 1 thoughtseize and turn 2 bitterblossom is really important for the deck, so I want as many black sources as I can fit in the deck.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

That Faeries list looks to have a pretty greedy Mana-base and I don't understand why.

You must have both blue and black available on t2 to either bitterblossom or counter something.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Those goals are readily accomplish-able without needing to jam the deck with every single Modern legal U/B land in your collection.

You guys act like no other decks in the history of the game ever needed two colors by turn 2. It might come as a surprise but before WOTC started jamming every set with a cycle of rare multi color lands many many two color decks existed and they frequently ran 0 multi color sources despite having to cast critical spells of both colors turns 2-3.

Unless your color needs are very intense for both colors, throughout the curve you're just opening yourself up to some downsides by playing inefficient 2 color sources. You're better served by fetches, which for the price of 1-3 mana turn into a two color land when you need it and basic when you don't, that's so insanely good its not even funny. If life is so important that Fetches are off the table you're better served with basics before just cramming every two color land in your collection into a list. Decks cast two colors all the time before the plethora of multi-color rare lands existed and your deck will be able to do it consistently without risking the downsides of some of those lands.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 10, 2014

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Stinky Pit posted:

Those goals are readily accomplish-able without needing to jam the deck with every single Modern legal U/B land in your collection.

You guys act like no other decks in the history of the game ever needed two colors by turn 2. It might come as a surprise but before WOTC started jamming every set with a cycle of rare multi color lands many many two color decks existed and they frequently ran 0 multi color sources despite having to cast critical spells of both colors turns 2-3.

Unless your color needs are very intense for both colors, throughout the curve you're just opening yourself up to some downsides by playing inefficient 2 color sources. You're better served by fetches, which for the price of 1-3 mana turn into a two color land when you need it and basic when you don't, that's so insanely good its not even funny. If life is so important that Fetches are off the table you're better served with basics before just cramming every two color land in your collection into a list. Decks cast two colors all the time before the plethora of multi-color rare lands existed and your deck will be able to do it consistently without risking the downsides of some of those lands.

Quoting to preserve this masterpiece of a post for future generations.

Additionally, since I wasn't watching yesterday, did any of the cool new cards see play in the SCG open?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Stinky Pit posted:

So you think basic lands would provide more reliable 2 color by turn 2 than secluded glen, river of tears, and darkslick shores? Life is extremely important in a deck thats primary card costs you 1 life per turn. You will probably take 4-8 damage from bitterblossom. So 1-4 more from lands is too much. Don't take our word for it, proxy the deck and play it. I personally have, our playgroup tested against it Saturday with me running this list, http://deckbox.org/sets/601261, (I'm sure it is not ideal) and I have won several games at 4-6 life. That is without taking land damage where avoidable.

The landbase is not just "jammed" I tested a couple iterations. If you want more detail, I'll be glad to provide.

River of tears. A land that makes black on your turn 1-2 and blue on their turn 2-4 is amazing for a draw-go blue deck. 4 of no doubt in my mind.

Secluded Glen: The only drawback is telling them what you are on t1, and that is assuming you play it t1. Of course your ideal play is show it and bitterblossom t2 then cast blossom. You reveal nothing of import. The drawback is worth coming in untapped and being a dual land.

Darkslick Shores: t1-3 are important and it doesn't cause damage. A 3 of because having it being your 4th land when you are holding a cyrptic SUCKS.

Sunken Ruins: I had tested 4 darkslick maindeck and hated when it was my t4 land drop, so I cut 1 for sunken ruins. I don't think it can run a lot of filter lands, but I may fiddle with this more.

Watery Grave: we need a few more duals because of 4-5 colorless lands to ensure our colored land drops so we run 3. They stink because the damage is relevant in this deck but we need them.

Tec Edge: self explanatory, this is a tempo kind of deck.

Mutavault: really self explanatory, this is a tribal deck

If polluted delta was modern legal, the 3 watery graves would be replaced by them I think.

the whole deck really works by making tempo plays on the first 3-4 turns, ideally a discard on t1 (i'm thinking of changing my test list to 4 seize 2 iok), hopefully stutter something t2-3, and then clique/mistbind t3-4. By that point they're just so far behind.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Yeah uh there's basically no reason not to just jam a really stable mana base. Blood moon is not a card in modern right now, and even if it was its relatively simple for UA to just counter the blood moon. By the way, Secluded Glen is insane in this deck and not playing it is crazy.

• Locked thread