Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Sorry, where's this?

SCG Open in Nashville, don't know when the replay goes up - http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Lands in front. Cards upside-down to face the opponent instead. Guy hugging a huge stuffed pokemon as he plays.

:ughh: I'm done. There is nothing about this match that doesn't make me want to set both players on fire.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
While I agree with hating the guy with the pokemon doll, the other guy is trolling in real life and i can't help but respect that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Lands in front. Cards upside-down to face the opponent instead. Guy hugging a huge stuffed pokemon as he plays.

:ughh: I'm done. There is nothing about this match that doesn't make me want to set both players on fire.

Ohitsapokemon. That was driving me nuts. He seems to have misplayed a lot into winning, but that's fine so long as UW loses.

At the Cardiff PTQ I went to a guy played dressed as Deadpool.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Livingtrope posted:

While I agree with hating the guy with the pokemon doll, the other guy is trolling in real life and i can't help but respect that.

That's Adrian Sullivan, the pro Magic player version of your grandpa that says "BACK IN MY DAY..."

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I'm watching the Super Sunday instead, because Marshall Sutcliffe is a very good broadcaster.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
^^ You're a liar but I'm also enjoying coverage. :P Marshall has grown on me but he's still pretty bad.

RoleModel posted:

That's Adrian Sullivan, the pro Magic player version of your grandpa that says "BACK IN MY DAY..."
Dude got his inner elbow tattoo'd, that's pretty hardcore. UW still a force in this meta, although bile blight on tokens is a nasty thing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

Dude got his inner elbow tattoo'd, that's pretty hardcore. UW still a force in this meta, although bile blight on tokens is a nasty thing.

I missed G3, does someone know who won? I really wish it was Sullivan, I like UW and he seemed like a pretty cool dude.

VV: Thanks. :)

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 8, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Sullivan won.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
SCG coverage: Brad Nelson on RW Burn down a game vs GR Monsters. I think he had lethal if opponent didn't exile the phoenix, or if the scavenging ooze came down. Close one and GR is playing quite a few X/2's that turn on searing bloods. Quick edit: Brad dropped the first(?) Firedancer on cam. Curious how well it'll do!

Holy poo poo, opponent plays Ruric Thar. Brad swings with phoenix. Block, 2 damage on ruric, phoenix dies. Brad casts helix on opponent, does himself 6 due to trigger but gets back phoenix and does 4 damage to ruric due to Firedancer. Ruric dead.

edit3: Wow Brad dies to overloaded Mizzium wiping his board, mutavault does him in. Opponent was at 4.

WotC coverage: Reid lost rd 3 is 2-1. Owen 2-1. Mihara 2-1. Owen posted a pic of his deck.

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 8, 2014

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Korak posted:

SCG coverage: Brad Nelson on RW Burn down a game vs GR Monsters. I think he had lethal if opponent didn't exile the phoenix, or if the scavenging ooze came down. Close one and GR is playing quite a few X/2's that turn on searing bloods. Quick edit: Brad dropped the first(?) Firedancer on cam. Curious how well it'll do!

Holy poo poo, opponent plays Ruric Thar. Brad swings with phoenix. Block, 2 damage on ruric, phoenix dies. Brad casts helix on opponent, does himself 6 due to trigger but gets back phoenix and does 4 damage to ruric due to Firedancer. Ruric dead.

edit3: Wow Brad dies to overloaded Mizzium wiping his board, mutavault does him in. Opponent was at 4.

WotC coverage: Reid lost rd 3 is 2-1. Owen 2-1. Mihara 2-1. Owen posted a pic of his deck.

His opponent was at two from shocking himself to overload mortars.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Where can we see the decklists being played right now? I want to see Brad Nelsons list and compare it to what I posted in the deckbrew thread.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Where can we see the decklists being played right now? I want to see Brad Nelsons list and compare it to what I posted in the deckbrew thread.
Deck tech has been filmed and apparently he's running the same deck as his premium side SCG post from this week.

Deck tech going up now!

Korak fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 8, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Guy hugging a huge stuffed pokemon as he plays.

Before I respond I just have to know which Pokemon it is. This is important for research.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the "lands in front" hate? I learned to play that way back in Ice Age.. was it never supposed to be done that way, or did things change? Is it just like the people that lose their poo poo when you have a stack of tapped lands that's more than one kind?

Putting your cards upside-down just makes you a douche though.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Late to the Vexing Devil chat, but it's actually pretty good in Modern Zoo because the opponent isnt going to have a spare removal spell to counter it like in burn, so it just adds a clock to your opponent on both modes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the "lands in front" hate? I learned to play that way back in Ice Age.. was it never supposed to be done that way, or did things change? Is it just like the people that lose their poo poo when you have a stack of tapped lands that's more than one kind?

He was putting his cards in complete opposite order so the enemy could read them :v:

I hate people who have lands in front honestly, it just takes slightly longer for me to tell the board positions.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Before I respond I just have to know which Pokemon it is. This is important for research.

It's a Tepig. Dude looked kinda weird in general, but the stuffed Tepig itself was pretty cute. Not something I'd be holding in my arm while PLAYING though, but I'd be 110% ok with someone having it on a chair near them, or on the table if there was space (I don't think there WOULD be space, just saying).

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

BizarroAzrael posted:

SCG Open in Nashville, don't know when the replay goes up - http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

They appear pretty quickly. Just caught up and that was loving hilarious. Parson's Lifebane sees Sphinx's Rev, BBD ults Kiora, drops Archangel of Thune and the camera catches him in full :smug:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PRADA SLUT posted:

Historically, that was actually how the "Learn to Play" guides recommended you do it. It's rather thematic - you each have your creatures etc. in front of you, and then they sally forth across your dominion to do battle with your opponent.

This all changed when competitive play got going - the rules were a lot stricter about following the motions to the letter than they are now, and people got penalties for things like not moving creatures into the "red zone" when attacking with them. So people started playing with creatures in front so they wouldn't have to move them as far, and be less likely to forget about that, to the point where that's now the "accepted" way to play.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Am I bad person if I want bitterblossom to stay banned so I can buy a reasonably priced one because of the amazing art on it? :smith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Samael posted:

Am I bad person if I want bitterblossom to stay banned so I can buy a reasonably priced one because of the amazing art on it? :smith:

Kind of because you had a long time of it being banned to buy it, let us play with our faeries now!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PRADA SLUT posted:

We've covered this, but sometimes I tap my stuff to the left :smuggo:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Kind of because you had a long time of it being banned to buy it, let us play with our faeries now!

I just started playing again, so it's all pretty new to me. I played a bit during shards block but thats about it. :) I love most of rebecca guay's art so far, even though I have only seen the promo Path to exile, dark ritual and bitterblossom. Is there any other good rebecca guay cards I haven't found about yet?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
WotC update: Mihara on cam round 5 playing a crazy fun Esper Midrange creatures deck. Was powerful enough to beat turn 2 packrat spam(although one turn was very hairy). He drew about 4 cards off Ephara which he also managed to activate and swing twice with.

New archtype? Brimaz + good white 2 drops + spear + blood baron + detention sphere? I mean token creators + blood baron is just really freaking good.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Jabor posted:

Historically, that was actually how the "Learn to Play" guides recommended you do it. It's rather thematic - you each have your creatures etc. in front of you, and then they sally forth across your dominion to do battle with your opponent.

This all changed when competitive play got going - the rules were a lot stricter about following the motions to the letter than they are now, and people got penalties for things like not moving creatures into the "red zone" when attacking with them. So people started playing with creatures in front so they wouldn't have to move them as far, and be less likely to forget about that, to the point where that's now the "accepted" way to play.

Which seems weird, because you could move your creatures above your lands to visually "piece out" where they are, more than just scooting them forward.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Does anyone know how the SCG match Kent Ketter (G/R Monsters) vs Skyler Canada (Bant Walkers) went? Any interesting plays? Who won? Also how coked out were those parents to name those kids. :lol:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Count Bleck posted:

We've covered this, but sometimes I tap my stuff to the left :smuggo:

Doesn't the patent that Wizards has on how the game works suggest tapping to the left?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Has Brimaz always been $30, or has something already made him spike? Esper list sound cool though.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has Brimaz always been $30, or has something already made him spike? Esper list sound cool though.

Wizards Super Sunday Series coverage, various list in there, and Brimaz has been shining.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BizarroAzrael posted:

He pretty much started that high. Sell your copies now and buy him when the hype train dies down a bit. We're going to see him a lot for the next 2+ years(I genuinely think he'll see some limited Modern play) but I don't think he's $30+ stable good.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

kirtar posted:

Doesn't the patent that Wizards has on how the game works suggest tapping to the left?

General MtG patent posted:

As shown in FIG. 1G, the island card 40 has the name 24 "island," and the text 16 in the text box 30 indicates the card provides one blue mana or energy for the player to utilize with spell cards. The symbol of the "T" tipping on its side in the text 16 is the tap symbol 38 indicating the card must be "tapped" when the mana from the card is used in play. "Tapping" is an act of flagging the card to indicate to all players that the energy provided by the card is being used and is no longer available. This can be accomplished in various ways, including placing an object on the card, turning the card over or, more preferably, rotating the card counterclockwise approximately 90 degrees on the playing surface from an original orientation or position. Similarly, "untapping" means rotating the card 90 degrees in a clockwise direction to the original orientation or removing the flag symbol.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
BBD 1-0 over mono blue with his Bant Walkers deck. Being able to bring in 4 Mistcutter Hydras, 3-4 Brimaz against blue decks seems good for the sideboard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Samael posted:

I bought one for the art when it was banned, now I know I should sell it and rebuy it later. My LGS has Rebecca Guay's Serra Angel for $80 and I could justify buying it if I sold my Bitterblossom.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Samael posted:

Is there any other good rebecca guay cards I haven't found about yet?

Here you go.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
So tell me, how come fog patch is worded like that and what happens if you cast it against Tromokratis?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Livingtrope posted:

So tell me, how come fog patch is worded like that and what happens if you cast it against Tromokratis?

You would either have all or none of your creatures block Tromokratis, and then cast Fog Patch to block all attacking creatures. Fog Patch is similar to fog, but if you are able to kill any attacking creatures you can do so.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Livingtrope posted:

Weird varient on fog. If you use it against Tromokratis he's blocked. Even if it says he can't be. It also works on things with landwalk, unblockability, protection from green, etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ah see, I'm an idiot and couldn't really figure out how it was different then fog. Also for some reason when it said it blocked creatures that are unblockable, I thought it meant just literally have the ability unblockable and that the variants of that could still get through. I am not a very good magic player is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Best part is how he has periodically stroked the stuffed animals head.

I want a sound clip of Osyp's "WHAT?!" to hearing Todd say that Thoughtseize was a skill intensive card.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread