Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

raditts posted:

There was this part in one of the commercials where Will Ferrell's character said something like "when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, you get Will Ferrell!" that made me laugh out loud, and I was disappointed it didn't show up anywhere in the movie.

Its in the behind the bricks featurette type thing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH4tMSd3QJY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Oh man, Lego Movie. Did NOT expect it to be that good. Also, I am pretty sad about being the only person to laugh at the best line of the movie. He's the hero you deserve.

I lost it on that one.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Pick posted:

Thanks for the LEGO post! My brother and I were really into LEGOs as a kid. My favorite was Aquazone. I don't know how well it's endured the test of time but don't you dare rip on Aquazone.

Oh man I know this is from like a page ago but hell yeah Aquazone :cool::respek::cool: them's my jams. I will fight anybody talking poo poo about Aquazone.

I had so much of that poo poo, the underwater sets are the only ones I would accept as a kid. That crane thing on that base and the conveyor belt under it were so goddamn cool. I think my old sets are still in a closet somewhere at my parents' house.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

And before Rock Raiders and Insectoids, there was...Time Cruisers. Ugh.

My sister had the Time Cruisers stuff; I stole a lot of the extra props and hats and things to use in the three-way Aquanaut/Aquashark/Aquaraider wars. The skeleton figure that came with the Time Lab is likely still buried at sea with my old Legos.

Anyway I was about ready to give the Lego movie a pass but you guys have changed my mind (as well as instigating waves of nostalgia) so thanks! I'mma have to catch it when I get a chance.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Time Cruisers just showed that Lego was losing touch with their target market at that point, because literally every kid in the world with a bunch of Legos had already built their own version of that concept long ago.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My favorite Legos as a kid had to be the old pirate sets. Pirates vs French soldiers.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Oh man, Lego Movie. Did NOT expect it to be that good. Also, I am pretty sad about being the only person to laugh at the best line of the movie. He's the hero you deserve.

I lost it on that one.

I laughed at that, and seemed to be the only one who giggled at the 2001 reference during the tube scene at the end.

Everything happens so fast, I may need to go see this a second time. Really it was just wonderful.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Saw the Lego movie yesterday, without hearing any buzz or watching any trailers, I was expecting it to be a crappy commercial (there wasnt anything else to see in the cinema). Wow that was a pleasant surprise, probably one of the funniest movies I have seen in a while, I did not stop laughing from beginning to end. The Batman song and the ending in particular were just brilliant and had me laughing like a maniac. Even seeing it in lovely dubbed spanish did not diminish the humor, that is a goddamn accomplishment.

Did anyone else notice a lot of adults laughing like crazy but totally silent children? the movie might be too fast and confusing for them, but at the same time the kids walking out at the end seemed really happy and the movie is basically your imagination as a child playing with toys brought to the big screen, so they might have been just too entranced with it.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The kids in the theater I went to mostly just wanted to talk about the stuff they were seeing. Any other movie and it probably would have driven me nuts, but I think it actually improved my experience here.

EDIT: Also, I just spent the day with my girlfriend going from store to store to try and find some of the movie blindbags. Every Lego Movie section looked like a ghost town.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 8, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Echoing the praise for Lego here. I never expected a silly toy movie to make me cry, holy crap.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The kids in the theater I went to mostly just wanted to talk about the stuff they were seeing. Any other movie and it probably would have driven me nuts, but I think it actually improved my experience here.

When Batman says "Bruce Wayne? Who's that? Sounds like a cool guy," one of the kids in my theater yelled "That's you, Batman, you idiot!" and I pretty much couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the scene.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

babypolis posted:

Did anyone else notice a lot of adults laughing like crazy but totally silent children? the movie might be too fast and confusing for them, but at the same time the kids walking out at the end seemed really happy and the movie is basically your imagination as a child playing with toys brought to the big screen, so they might have been just too entranced with it.

Kids were pretty much all I heard laughing in the theater I was at.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

EDIT: Also, I just spent the day with my girlfriend going from store to store to try and find some of the movie blindbags. Every Lego Movie section looked like a ghost town.

What are blindbags?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

What are blindbags?

Well, I searched the term and apparently the first page is almost entirely MLP stuff so either A) Jonas is using the wrong word, or B) Ponies have ruined everything once again.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

raditts posted:

Kids were pretty much all I heard laughing in the theater I was at.

What are blindbags?

I think it is a little package that you can purchase without knowing which movie figure is inside.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

A blindbag is a small collectable toy in an opaque bag, so that you don't know which one you're getting in it. The aim is to buy a lot so you can collect them all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, the Lego movie was so good. I wasn't completely sold on it until the last third, at which point it all came together. I haven't been this moved by an animated film since Up.

I think Will Arnett has unseated Kevin Conroy as my favorite Batman.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the Lego movie was great. The spaceman finally getting to build his spaceship and the next part "SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP. SPACESHIP" was hysterical. I'm a little surprised this loving song is stuck in my head still.

Everything is awesome!

edit: Oh yeah and someone else mentioned this, but they seriously don't say "lego" at any point during the movie that I can remember. Even the live action part near the end, they never refer to "legos" as a product. It's like the exact opposite of something like transformers.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 9, 2014

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah. Everything is Awesome has lodged Whistle Stop out of my head... so good. and bad.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

So the Lego movie was great. The spaceman finally getting to build his spaceship and the next part "SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP. SPACESHIP" was hysterical. I'm a little surprised this loving song is stuck in my head still.

Everything is awesome!

edit: Oh yeah and someone else mentioned this, but they seriously don't say "lego" at any point during the movie that I can remember. Even the live action part near the end, they never refer to "legos" as a product. It's like the exact opposite of something like transformers.

They did namedrop Duplo at the very end, but yeah.

I wonder if there are any nerds who are exactly like Will Farrell's live action character raging against this movie?

Edit :I can't wait for the Blu Ray, cause I want to see a behind the scenes featurette for how they got the look of the movie just right.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 9, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
Yeah I can't get this drat Lego movie out of my head. I'm still shocked it was as good as it was. Also, I never figured Batman would be one of the funniest characters I've seen in a movie this year.

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
I saw The Lego Movie today, and while the previews made it look somewhat clever and appealing, and I was not expecting it to be as balls-out fantastic as it was. Aside from the sheer popcorn-movie fun of it, there is real cleverness and sophistication in this movie -- it has a plethora of quick, witty jokes, running gags, an episode of timeline-mixing, and an innovative variation on fourth-wall-breaking. And best of all (and rarest of all in kids' movies), it has an actual fresh and sincere moral. They even went the extra mile and made it an important part of the plot that the villain and the heroes had something to learn from each other. I love seeing a movie where you get the sense the filmmakers are smart and had a lot of fun making it, and this is one of them.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Unlucky7 posted:

I wonder if there are any nerds who are exactly like Will Farrell's live action character raging against this movie?

I would hope that even Lego Grognards (the horror...) would be able to appreciate this movie because the film took the time to make it clear that there wasn't anything wrong with following the instructions. The scene where Team Protagonist is building their submarine was a pretty great counterpoint to the presumption that there was something fundamentally wrong with the conformity of the "correct," models and fundamentally right with the more personalized methods of the Master Builders, and the climax of the movie brings it home by talking about how President Business was as much The Special as anyone else because if he hadn't made trucks and buildings and other "boring," things, the normal people may not have been inspired to create their own creations from the parts.

I mean, heck, one of my favorite little tidbits was that every single instruction manual was in fact created by the captured Master Builders. The Lego Maniacs who spent the most time messing around and making random silly junk were the ones best suited to making cars and houses and other mundane fixtures that anyone can make if they follow the steps once they "went corporate."

If the message to Lego fans is that Legos are something that anyone can enjoy any way they want regardless of how you want to build with them, and the only way you can go to far is to end the magic of building with a glue tube, I hope the number of people who would rage would be miniscule.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Waffleman_ posted:

A blindbag is a small collectable toy in an opaque bag, so that you don't know which one you're getting in it. The aim is to buy a lot so you can collect them all.

Or sit there and fondle bags for 20 minutes so you can get the figures you want so you aren't stuck with 5 crash test dummies.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

raditts posted:

What are blindbags?

umalt posted:

Well, I searched the term and apparently the first page is almost entirely MLP stuff so either A) Jonas is using the wrong word, or B) Ponies have ruined everything once again.

It's always B.

Anyway, Lego does figurine sets where you buy a plastic bag containing one random figure from the set. They usually have some exclusive figures like a guy in a chicken suit. They released a new set for the movie, containing stuff like the Where's My Pants? Guy, and Calamity Drone.

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/71004_The_LEGO_Movie_Series

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Or sit there and fondle bags for 20 minutes so you can get the figures you want so you aren't stuck with 5 crash test dummies.

Everyone does this I've seen, from little little kids to full grown adults.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
I'm still sussing out the myriad ways I'm in love with The Lego Movie, but I just wanna say this is easily Will Farrell's best performance since Stranger Than Fiction, emotionally and comedically.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Gotta say the two things that still have me giggling are Vitruvius's ghost and seeing the office pop off and pfbbhting away

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

So my friend just pointed something out to me.

The bottom of his helmet is cracked. It's like that because almost all the older spacemen he used to own as a kid had cracked helmets because of how flimsy that part gets. It's such a beautiful touch. :allears:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Fukken loved this movie. A bunch of my favorite bits have already been posted about, I couldn't stop laughing during ghost-Vitruvius' appearance but I loved the running joke with Superman and his animosity towards Green Lantern. Superman's final request for some Kryptonite straight up killed me.

Also I really did not expect that 3rd act, which turned a rapid-fire comedy into something genuinely touching for a licensed film about children's toys.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Macaluso posted:

Everything is awesome!

Just saying "Lego" would diminish what it is, it's a highly sophisticated interlocking brick system :colbert:. All the dialogue around that part was great, also can't think of anyone that'd be better than Ferrell for that role.

dennyk posted:

Time Cruisers just showed that Lego was losing touch with their target market at that point, because literally every kid in the world with a bunch of Legos had already built their own version of that concept long ago.
:laugh: The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was "that looks like something I would've built", and not in a good way.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
A new film francise is born.

1). The Lego Movie (WB) 3,775 theaters / $17.1M Fri. / $31.4M Sat (+83%) / Est. 3-day Cume: $68M to $70M / Wk 1

2). The Monuments Men (SONY), 3,083 theaters / $6.8M to $7M Fri. / $9.7M to $9.9M Sat. (+43%) / 3-day Cume: $23M / Wk 1

3). Ride Along (UNI), 2,800 theaters (-67) / $2.5M Fri. / $2.7M Sat. (+81%) / 3-day Cume: $9.5M to $9.8M / Total Est. Cume: $105M / Wk 4

4). Frozen (DIS), 2,460 theaters (-294) / $1.38M Fri. / $3.4M Sat. (+143%) / 3-day Cume: $7M / Total Est. Cume: $368.7.M / Wk 12

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

lomzus posted:

A new film francise is born.

But will it be a Toy Story... or a Shrek?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Went to see the Lego Movie last night at Chunky's. I loved it, I don't know if I'd say it was the best or anything, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and the breakneck pace it went at. Everything was fantastically designed and animated, the characters were mostly entertaining and fun, Metalbeard's probably my favorite next to Benny, and the big reveal was masterfully done and I had to cover my mouth from laughing so hard. It had some poignant moments, some were ham(claw?)fisted but whatever, it was a really fun movie.

My two friends I went with however absolutely hated it. One completely missed the point/moral of the movie and the other thought it was a waste of money. They were drinking heavily during it and were pretty bitter about the cost of the food(even though I told them to be careful what to order) so that might've soured their experience a bit. Still, they angrily argued about it the whole way home, which really sucked the post-movie enjoyment out of it. What a bummer.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011
Here's two the movie's greatest moments courtesy of WB's Soundcloud page. (no spoilers, just great music)

Everything Is Awesome

Darkness! No parents! Continue darkness!

I loved Batman and his darkness schtick so much. :3:

blurry!
Jun 14, 2006

Sorry for Party Flocking
Cloudy and a Chance of Meatballs is one of my favorite flicks. It hits my sense of humor just right. It's extremely silly, but that is one of the strengths of the movie beyond a lot of others. It doesn't try to fool you for a second that it has a grip on any sort of actual science (or cares to), and it's very self-aware of the tropes of its own genre, as well as the story beats of various underdog, something-to-prove, rise-and-fall movies like this. It also treats its audience as equally genre-savvy while not leaving behind kids, with rapid-fire jokes that you can miss on a first watch absolutely stuffing the film to the brim around the centerpiece, obvious jokes. Though it's really silly, there's a lot of heart poured into this movie, and beneath the jokes you can see it in Flint and his dad, Tim's relationship. Tim is one of the best written and acted dads I've seen on screen. I look at him and see my dad. Every scene between the two just bleeds genuineness, with Tim unable to express much though he feels plenty. I could go on about Tim a lot, in how he's more real than most live-action dads, because he doesn't know what to say. Many cinema dads are fonts of wisdom that let their worldly knowledge flow like a faucet, and always have a quip, story, or turn of phrase appropriate for the situation. Tim, though he means well, can't voice any advice not tied up in an awkward metaphor that Flint doesn't understand. Flint thinks his dad doesn't understand him, confusing it for Tim's simple lack of communication skills. I adore this movie.

However, I hadn't seen it for a while, having watched it a lot when it was on Netflix Instant. When they took it off their instant roster, I didn't go purchase a DVD copy of it since I'd watched it like 9 times or something crazy like that. I saw the sequel on Redbox, and decided a dollar was an okay price to check it out.

Cloudy 2 is pretty much the definition of a quick cash-in sequel. My wife and I call this kind of movie an "-And All Your Favorite Characters!" film from that voiceover guy who does Disney advertisements. There's a couple fun jokes in Cloudy 2, but not a lot happens in the span of 90 minutes. Flint meets his hero, Not-Steve Jobs. There's some nonsense back-and-forth with Flint wanting to be in Not-Jobs' inner circle, him failing, then getting recruited anyway that would have been more gracefully done if Not-Jobs simply included Flint from the get-go, because Flint has this really forced character arc where he must choose between his friends and his idol. There's no reason for anyone but Flint to even be there. Sam's Flint's girlfriend, so I guess you can say she can come because she cares, whatever. There's no use of her skills during the flick besides some line about mosquitos biting due to something something weather. Earl the cop comes along because reasons, and Brent is there to scream uh-oh. Like literally, that's all he's there for is to make the kids laugh with how he said UH OH! in the first movie. Manny the camera man is also along... for reasons? And Tim is along, and there's a strange, half-hearted attempt to explore something there. But it's bizarre and unfocused, and there's a weird scene where Flint finally fishes for the first time and it's the best thing ever. Okay, I guess? Basically it feels like the movie was written with the idea of posthumously deconstructing the fandom/cult of Steve Jobs. Not-Jobs gets an enormous amount of screentime, to the detriment of everybody else.

Overall, Cloudy 2 is really unfocused and unnecessary. I didn't like it.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Vargo posted:

When Batman says "Bruce Wayne? Who's that? Sounds like a cool guy," one of the kids in my theater yelled "That's you, Batman, you idiot!" and I pretty much couldn't stop laughing for the rest of the scene.

Exact same thing happened in my theater. Also there was a cop hanging out by the ticket stand and he gave an audible "really?" when my friends and I gave the ticket guy our tickets. Joke's on him. The movie was so good, and the in-jokes for true lego nerds were incredible: we don't talk about them.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, had a kid in our theater do the same thing with the Batman/Bruce Wayne gag as well. Kids these days with their lack of understanding irony. Another vote for the Lego Movie being awesome, much like when you're part of the team.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Just back from seeing Mr Peabody and Sherman, which for some reason we've got ahead of our US buddies, perhaps because a lot of schools have their half-terms next week in the UK.

And it continues the Dreamworks tradition of having an excruciatingly poor TV trailer, but being a fairly amusing movie. It's all slapstick and terrible puns and a cheerfully bouncy approach to plot. (The Trojan horse segment is a particular highlight, though I did spend most of it going "Where do I know Agamemnons' voice actor from?". Turns out it was Kronk, from The Emperors' New Groove.)

Not a classic movie, not up there with How to Train Your Dragon or the first Shrek in the Dreamworks stable of work, but a solid little film.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

blurry! posted:

Overall, Cloudy 2 is really unfocused and unnecessary. I didn't like it.

The guys who wrote Cloudy 1 (but not 2) are the same guys who wrote the LEGO movie, that above all else should tell why the first cloudy is so much superior than that trash of a sequel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
LEGO Movie was incredible. I feel that was better than Wreck it Ralph. Laughed throughout the whole thing and the ending really moved me. You really get the feeling it isn't just a message to kids and parents or to LEGO fans but to everyone who takes their nostalgia too serious and argues about stuff that isn't their demographic anymore. I watched that ending and first thing I thought of was people dissecting and criticizing the Ninja Turtles poster.

21 Jump Street is one of my favourite comedies to come out in the last decade and now the same guys made possibly my favourite animated movie in the past decade. I should probably re-watch Clone High.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

The guys who wrote Cloudy 1 (but not 2) are the same guys who wrote the LEGO movie, that above all else should tell why the first cloudy is so much superior than that trash of a sequel.
Also 21 Jumpstreet, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Clone High which everyone should watch as it was very much slightly before its time. Miller and Lord are fantastic.

E: Beaten

• Locked thread