Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Chrome just silently added some kind of notification icon to my OSX menu bar and I can't find an option anywhere to turn it off. The icon doesn't respond to Cmd+drag either.

Google :argh:

withak fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

withak posted:

gently caress you HoverZoom.

You could switch to hover free https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hover-free/hcmnnggnaofmhflgomfjfbndngdoogkj

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thats been abandoned now (still works for now though)

Imagus is the one to go for : https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/imagus/immpkjjlgappgfkkfieppnmlhakdmaab

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

withak posted:

Chrome just silently added some kind of notification icon to my OSX menu bar and I can't find an option anywhere to turn it off. The icon doesn't respond to Cmd+drag either.
chrome://flags, rich notifications set to disabled.

You can probably also turn off notifications in the normal settings.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 27, 2014

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
I don't have Java installed on my Win 7 machine, yet in chrome://plugins/ I have this entry which is apparently in need of an update. Is this a Jscript thing?

Java(TM) - Version: 10.21.2.11 Download Critical Security Update
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

Latest stable Version 32.0.1700.102 m

e: version update as soon as I post.

Resonance fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 27, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I accidentally deleted one of the self-bookmarking boxes when you first open up Chrome/a new tab. That box was a nice shortcut to the SA forums and despite how many times I visit the site, the box doesn't come back. Is there a way to manually set a box?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
Is there an extension or a greasemonkey scrip that will let me autologin to a wifi hotspot? The service I am using has a username and password served by a web applet but it is really easy to disconnect and have to resubmit the info. Is there an app that will intercept the login page and submit the login info automatically?

If not that, a standalone program?

Tried googling but no luck.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
nvm, found it

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 28, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just installed the Dev build for Google Chrome to try out the notifications thing in Linux. It looks pretty snazzy, like the Android "Google Now" pages. Also it appears that you can get the capability to close out the Browser entirely but keep a minor process running. The notification portion will be loving great for me if I can use it to pop up Twitter and Facebook status updates. There is no application that handles both any longer since Gwibber went to poo poo. Ubuntu has it's "Friends" program but that is nonfunctional unless you use their UAO stuff. Shame they don't use the libnotify function :argh: We have standards over in Linux world.

Some oddities abound, the font seems larger in the address bar and the theme seems flat, like how it is over in Windows 8 if I can recall properly. I loving hate this flat theming, it's a loving blight.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Resonance posted:

I don't have Java installed on my Win 7 machine, yet in chrome://plugins/ I have this entry which is apparently in need of an update. Is this a Jscript thing?

Java(TM) - Version: 10.21.2.11 Download Critical Security Update
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

Latest stable Version 32.0.1700.102 m

e: version update as soon as I post.

Uninstalling Java doesn't remove the Java Deployment Toolkit because reasons Oracle is a terrible company. I don't think anybody even uses that plugin except for malware authors.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.

dpbjinc posted:

Uninstalling Java doesn't remove the Java Deployment Toolkit because reasons Oracle is a terrible company. I don't think anybody even uses that plugin except for malware authors.

Madness. Well I fail the 'do I have java' test on the website, but I guess I'll disable the plugin to be sure.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Using the latest Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102, every time I scroll with the mouse wheel the zoom level decreases from the default of 100% to 90% or sometimes even lower. I disabled all extensions and it's still happening. Any ideas?

Edit: this is on a desktop running Windows 8

VVVVVV At first I did think I might have been inadvertently resting my pinky finger on the ctrl-key, but that ain't the problem.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 30, 2014

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

Using the latest Chrome Version 32.0.1700.102, every time I scroll with the mouse wheel the zoom level decreases from the default of 100% to 90% or sometimes even lower. I disabled all extensions and it's still happening. Any ideas?

Edit: this is on a desktop running Windows 8

Take the stack of papers off of the control key.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Should you ever have issues with Chrome and bigger sites that use IPv6 and wide content distribution networks, say like Youtube frequently throwing video errors, this may be related to a technique called Happy Eyeballs, which tries to initiate connections to a server on both IPv4 and IPv6, so that it can fall back onto IPv4 should the server on IPv6 not react quickly enough (say you have a flaky IPv6 connection like a tunnel). This is a technique the IETF thought up to minimize end user pain during the transition the next decade or so.

The problem however is that sites like Youtube are interested in protecting their data, and if an IP address that hasn't been authorized tries to directly access the content server, it'll get blocked or returned a no-content error. Authorization to a specific content server comes by loading the video page first, which incidentally tells your browser what server to access. If it enables your IPv6 address to go ahead and Chrome suddenly decides it rather wants to use the initiated IPv4 connection, there's going to be a problem.

Sadly, the Chromium developers don't seem to be interested in letting end users disable Happy Eyeballs. Which is disappointing, considering that technique has been suspected for a variety of issues according to their bugtracker. Personally, it means I have to defer to Firefox, which lets you disable Happy Eyeballs (IE up to version 11 doesn't even do it), because I fully intend to use my IPv6 connection, given that it's native.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Fixed it.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 31, 2014

simcole
Sep 13, 2003
PATHETIC STALKER
Every time I try to print an email or an attachment in an email, even though I tell it to print pages 2, 5-6 it always prints the entire document/page. I hate this. Is there a fix for this? Win7 pro latest stable build chrome.

edit: using chrome's print dialog and system

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Has anybody experienced insane performance problems with the stable version lately? It started yesterday for me and I'm talking about freezes, page crashes and the new tab page loading very slowly and it hogs my processor too. Other browsers and dev version works well and I also scanned for malware & viruses.

edit: Never mind. It turned out to be the death throes of my hard disk. :downs:

fspades fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 5, 2014

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

pahuyuth posted:

It's been happening inconsistently to me. Most of the time, scrolling works fine, but every once and a while, it just decides to gently caress with my zoom level with no keyboard input whatsoever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Is there a chrome extension or userscript or something that'll turn all the really crufty Google urls to what they're actually supposed to be? Really tired of getting "https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBlah&ei=KJnvUv7-KpStsQTl04HoDw&usg=AFQjCNEPfUMF_cK39Oi47I8fNfPRKNHVrA&sig2=99hGYj80Ix1PXuo8GM75kw&bvm=bv.60444564,d.cWc" instead of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blah"

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

X-post from the Android OS thread.

I suppose this counts as both Chrome and Android so...

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/02/get-notifications-from-google-now-in.html

Chrome Dev Channel for computers now has Google Now integrated. Google has confirmed that it will be in the Beta Channel of Chrome for Desktop.

I like how it claims you'd get a notification for when your Chromecast shipped...it's never, ever reminded me about shipping. Not once.

Maybe this will come with new Now cards for Android.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ThermoPhysical posted:

I like how it claims you'd get a notification for when your Chromecast shipped...it's never, ever reminded me about shipping. Not once.

It does this every time for me, Amazon/Google Play/etc. Could it be a thing restricted by country or language? I'm in Canada, my Google Now is set to US English.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does this every time for me, Amazon/Google Play/etc. Could it be a thing restricted by country or language? I'm in Canada, my Google Now is set to US English.

I'm in the US, like right smack dab in the middle but...yeah. It just doesn't like me for some reason. :v:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm in the US, like right smack dab in the middle but...yeah. It just doesn't like me for some reason. :v:

Yeah, Now picks up packages every once in a while for me, but it's a tiny fraction of even just my amazon shipments, let alone anywhere smaller.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker
I noticed that Amazon stopped including a tracking numbers in my shipping notifications. I figured that's why google now stopped giving me tracking updates.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Crossbar posted:

I noticed that Amazon stopped including a tracking numbers in my shipping notifications. I figured that's why google now stopped giving me tracking updates.

Funny; Gmail extracts the tracking number from the URL just fine.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

flatluigi posted:

Is there a chrome extension or userscript or something that'll turn all the really crufty Google urls to what they're actually supposed to be? Really tired of getting "https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBlah&ei=KJnvUv7-KpStsQTl04HoDw&usg=AFQjCNEPfUMF_cK39Oi47I8fNfPRKNHVrA&sig2=99hGYj80Ix1PXuo8GM75kw&bvm=bv.60444564,d.cWc" instead of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blah"
I use Don't track me Google for that

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

dpbjinc posted:

Funny; Gmail extracts the tracking number from the URL just fine.

Weird, I just get a link that goes to the orders section of my account info. No info to extract. I wonder if amazon is doing testing and different folks are getting different shipping emails?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Crossbar posted:

Weird, I just get a link that goes to the orders section of my account info. No info to extract. I wonder if amazon is doing testing and different folks are getting different shipping emails?
I see the same links, but gmail still pulls it. (Isn't there a 'track package' button next to the email when you're viewing your inbox?) If you copy that link address, you'll see there's a "&trackingnumber=1Zxxxx" buried in there.

Crossbar
Jun 16, 2002
Chronic Lurker

WoG posted:

I see the same links, but gmail still pulls it. (Isn't there a 'track package' button next to the email when you're viewing your inbox?) If you copy that link address, you'll see there's a "&trackingnumber=1Zxxxx" buried in there.
I just get straight text emails from amazon, no html.

I just checked and that's a configurable option. I changed it so maybe I'll start getting google now updates again.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
So my Google Chrome has the tab crash when opening such pages as Maps or Rdio and it's really baffling why this is happening and I have no idea how to fix it. :psyduck:

This is even happens while in Incognito mode with no extensions enabled.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I'm trying out Chrome for the 3rd time or so, and I'm running into a strange issue with notifications. They don't seem to work? I've emailed myself after enabling desktop notifications in Gmail, and nothing every appears at the bottom of my screen. I keep Gmail pinned, so it's definitely open (not sure if this is even necessary).

I wanted to try the Google Now stuff, but I have no clue how to even bring it up even though I'm on the beta line.

Version 33.0.1750.70 beta-m
Windows 7

Edit: everything in chrome://flags is set to default

Sterf
Dec 31, 2004

I had to set the Google Now flag to enabled instead of default before it showed. As for the Gmail notifications, they don't seem to work for me either (on a chromebook no less) even when enabled in the settings of gmail. (edit: it seems like you have to have gmail open in a tab for them to work, which is pretty stupid, but they do work for me when I do that).

Anyway, I use Checker Plus for that, which is pretty good in my opinion.

Sterf fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 5, 2014

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Anyone know of an extension or technique to get mp4 & html5 - ALL vids to use click-to-play like Flash?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Is there anyway to have Chrome;

1) Use RAM instead of the HDD as the cache that doesn't involve using a RAM disk?

2) Not have every tab load when I open a window until I actually select the tab? Like if I'm opening a 1900 tab window it tries to load them all instantly and then crashes. In Firefox it won't actually load the tab until I select it. Is Chrome even able to handle having this many tabs open?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Like if I'm opening a 1900 tab window it tries to load them all instantly and then crashes.

Holy poo poo, why on earth would someone ever need this many tabs open.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Chrome is restoring my last open page when I launch the program. Is there a way to turn that off?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Settings, 3 radio buttons titled On Start-up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have it set to open the new tab page. I even tried toggling it to something else, and then back to new tab page.

I closed the browser, and when I reopened it, that thread came right up.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have it set to open the new tab page. I even tried toggling it to something else, and then back to new tab page.

I closed the browser, and when I reopened it, that thread came right up.

Are you on a Mac by any chance?

How to Disable Auto Resume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Anyone else getting brutal memory leaks on Beta?

Hmm yes