Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Tarranon posted:

Found it, jeez how did I miss that. I'm so obsessed with corners and couches that I walked right by the dang kitchen table

That was a really nice touch that I wish I had found at the appropriate time.

Surprisingly a lot of people missed that one :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Daniel was the first person Sam came out to and his acceptance helped her realize she wasn't alone. Somwehere in the kitchen I think.
On the kitchen table by the Greasy Pizza Box (just went through the game and listened to most of the commentary finally). I loved how the Daniel character arc is resolved, you see how all that weirdness and awkwardness she mentions was mostly from Sam's perspective. Daniel probably started "liking" liking her a lot when puberty kicked in, which just made him seem weird to her as she, obviously, didn't feel the same way.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Wow, Gone Home is so controversial that now there's controversy over whether or not there was controversy. What the hell, goons.

The most divisive game ever made. It splits opinions on multiple levels!

Bluedust posted:

Yeah it's a cool concept and a good game, but holy poo poo it shows how annoying both sides of the SJW/MRA fight can really be.

I don't know what to call your side, but it's the worst. At least the MRAs recognize this game to be a challenge to the industry's addiction to catering to their preferences. You question the pretty naked homophobia this game elicits and the value of discussing and mocking it, and you prefer to pivot to your own issue of buyer's remorse. You say you want to talk about the game, but your posts since August pretty much just focus on feeling like you were overcharged.

Well done. The price you paid exceeded your marginal benefit. That's a much less interesting discussion than the hosed up reactions Gone Home gets.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
This thread has gone home for a rest.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I had kind of forgotten I'd closed this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Now I get to post this!

The Ultimate DLC.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm pretty sure someone else already did.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I was looking for that video, it truly is a thing of beauty.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

I know this was probably already mentioned by others earlier in the thread but for anyone who hasn't done say, I highly suggest playing through the game with commentary (start a new game and toggle commentary in the modifiers menu). It's quite enjoyable and pretty funny too. You get to learn some random trivia about the game's development, and there are some commentary bits by Corin Tucker (founding member of riot grrrl bands Heavens to Betsy and Sleater-Kinney). Go play it!!!

Edit: vvvvvv you should post that to gamers.txt

BattleCake fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 31, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here, have a thing that happened.

Pinterest Mom posted:

amazing (karla is the artist for fullbright company)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

angerbeet posted:

I'm pretty sure someone else already did.

Not in this thread they didn't! Now I get to be the superstar!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BattleCake posted:

I know this was probably already mentioned by others earlier in the thread but for anyone who hasn't done say, I highly suggest playing through the game with commentary (start a new game and toggle commentary in the modifiers menu). It's quite enjoyable and pretty funny too. You get to learn some random trivia about the game's development, and there are some commentary bits by Corin Tucker (founding member of riot grrrl bands Heavens to Betsy and Sleater-Kinney). Go play it!!!

Edit: vvvvvv you should post that to gamers.txt

Just a small note to this, I was worried the commentary was going to be really stilted and awkward because the first node you can activate at the front door is really stilted and awkward like it was done right off the cuff but everything after that was really good.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Just a small note to this, I was worried the commentary was going to be really stilted and awkward because the first node you can activate at the front door is really stilted and awkward like it was done right off the cuff but everything after that was really good.

Yeah the first commentary is quite awkward but the rest are mostly the devs bsing at each other, with some of it being quite amusing. It's very casual and it sounds like they are having a great time doing the commentary so it sort of just lends a very cheerful air to the whole thing :3:.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I keep wondering how people complaining about Gone Home would react to the Myst series. There's no gameplay, you just wander around and push things! If you know how then you can beat the game in thirty seconds (minus loading). There's barely any animation!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I haven't played Myst, but unlike most of those people, I enjoyed Gone Home.

Most people who hate it either criticise it for the lack of mechanics (why aren't these more mechanics for mechanics sake, "it's a game after all") or don't think games can aspire to be art. If we use a loose definition of art as a work that can cause us to have introspective thoughts about ourselves and the people around us or whatnot (this is a really lovely definition) then they see that most games don't qualify as art, shouldn't bother, and Gone Home is trying to hard. Gone Home is one of the few games that is essentially a character study and we all know how some people treat games that emphasize character over "plot"; just take a look at any thread about Telltale's The Walking Dead and there will plenty of posts about "why can't I fork off the plot, it's the same no matter what decision I make" and completely missing the point. It's likely the same people.

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I keep wondering how people complaining about Gone Home would react to the Myst series. There's no gameplay, you just wander around and push things! If you know how then you can beat the game in thirty seconds (minus loading). There's barely any animation!

Interestingly, when Myst came out, it got a mostly positive critical reception from the press, but there was a fair amount of "this isn't really a game" arguing from the community at the time, as well as grumbling if some publication picked it as their game of the year. It's been a reaaaally long time so my recollection is hazy, but it was less virulent than most of the pushback against Gone Home, though there's several factors going into that.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Answer: They're both terrific

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Best game I've played since Journey and Papers Please. And if you told me, in 1995, "hey man in 2014 you'll play a game soundtracked by riot grrl bands that deals with Issues and is absolutely on point and beautiful" I would have bet all the money in the world you were bullshitting me.

Tarranon posted:

All that said the only thing I really found engaging in the narrative was the bit with the dad and how he dealt with apparently getting diddled by his uncle, and how it came out in his writing. it wasn't amazing but it was at least a little subtle and well developed.

OK, I completely missed this implication. What I gathered was that the uncle was gay, which was why he sold his pharmacy to his "life partner" for a dollar, and the foreshadowing about "does it run in the family?" is pretty explicit. But just now I looked up an article and apparently I missed some things that do hint at the possibility of sexual abuse. If that was the developers' intention, it's the only thing in the game that is retroactively making me cringe, because I like my version better.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I thought Oscar was gay at first too. What they still did was interesting but I do agree that I still liked the possible thematic contrast between a closeted Oscar and Sam, Oscar in that scenario repressed who he was and and shut himself away in his own house for the rest of his life while Sam accepted her homosexuality and left the house to try and make a new life, regardless of how unfeasible that may prove to be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

OpinionCushion posted:

Interestingly, when Myst came out, it got a mostly positive critical reception from the press, but there was a fair amount of "this isn't really a game" arguing from the community at the time, as well as grumbling if some publication picked it as their game of the year. It's been a reaaaally long time so my recollection is hazy, but it was less virulent than most of the pushback against Gone Home, though there's several factors going into that.

Myst's success came at the time CD-ROM gaming really began to take off as it was the perfect showcase app for the format. You did have the Roberta Williams types very publicly saying that Myst somehow represented "the death of adventure games" because you couldn't die unfairly or fail to finish if you missed clicking on the cat poop in the first 10 minutes of the game. There's no denying that Myst brought in a lot of people who normally would not play video games just to have something cool to show off on their new Packard Bell Axcel. I don't know if the same is true for Gone Home, but it does invite a lot of different discussion from sources other than who you're used to talking about games. I think it misses the point to say "well if Gone Home didn't do X then it would be nothing special," because it is, at least in terms of widespread reaction, pretty special. It's weird to imagine but I think there will be some Gone Home clones in the future.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Double Fine is already pitching a Gone Home-esque game for their Amnesia Fortnight contest, its set on a derelict spaceship and they even mention Gone Home in the video.

Personally I think Gone Home is kind of what a more mainstream game should be, from what I can tell its a lot more accessible than most games for people that don't usually play them, though I haven't tried getting anyone to play it myself.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 9, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, I can't be the only person who actually was pretty drat scared at first. I don't know if it was a bug or what, but I swear that at the very beginning I heard some pretty weird poo poo, went back to a room and there were objects there that definitely weren't there before. Also, the loving television.

Then again, I had been playing Amnesia right beforehand.

I wouldn't mind tons of clones of this coming out, as long as they're good. "Explore The Place" is a genre I would gladly support. I mean, speaking of Amnesia, it's more or less the same exact thing except you can die and there are a few piss easy "puzzles".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Myst's success came at the time CD-ROM gaming really began to take off as it was the perfect showcase app for the format. You did have the Roberta Williams types very publicly saying that Myst somehow represented "the death of adventure games" because you couldn't die unfairly or fail to finish if you missed clicking on the cat poop in the first 10 minutes of the game. There's no denying that Myst brought in a lot of people who normally would not play video games just to have something cool to show off on their new Packard Bell Axcel. I don't know if the same is true for Gone Home, but it does invite a lot of different discussion from sources other than who you're used to talking about games. I think it misses the point to say "well if Gone Home didn't do X then it would be nothing special," because it is, at least in terms of widespread reaction, pretty special. It's weird to imagine but I think there will be some Gone Home clones in the future.
Myst also had incredible computer art ... for the time. It looked insanely futuristic. Technically The 7th Guest was a much greater accomplishment with its detailed 3D-Studio 1 rendered house, and CD-ROM streaming video (holy gently caress you need a 2X speed drive to accomplish that poo poo!!), + FMV blue-screened actors, but it just wasn't quite as accessible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The 7th Guest had much easier puzzles. I was a veteran of Sierra/INFOCOM bullshit puzzles and I still hated Myst's puzzles. I don't even remember why, just that it was not really any fun trying to solve them.

e: There's a great article I can't find right now about how 7th Guest and its sequel were such an insane clusterfuck they basically drove the developers insane. Also, there's a loving 7th Guest 3 coming out.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Don't know ... I figured out Myst eventually, but some 7th Guest puzzles really broke my mind for a long time. The only Ys for vowels one was pretty great. I felt it was a lot more varied and interesting. They both had pretty strong hint systems, but 7th Guest's was a little easier to access.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

7th Guest and 11th Hour were manageable except for the few puzzles where you had to play against the AI. loving thing cheated I tell you what

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The only really unfair puzzles in Myst were the note-based ones if you were tone deaf, or the train maze where you'd have no idea what to do unless you already completed the Mechanical Age puzzle with the same musical cues. I got through the entire game when I was 12 without any outside help in a couple weeks. Riven by contrast took me a few months to solve, but you couldn't really call it unfair since the solutions all made sense, even if they were obtuse at times.

It's weird to think about how much more patience I used to have for that kind of stuff back then. Now if I don't know where to go within 5 minutes I alt-tab out and immediately ask the internet to tell me where to find the thing.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

exquisite tea posted:

The only really unfair puzzles in Myst were the note-based ones if you were tone deaf, or the train maze where you'd have no idea what to do unless you already completed the Mechanical Age puzzle with the same musical cues. I got through the entire game when I was 12 without any outside help in a couple weeks. Riven by contrast took me a few months to solve, but you couldn't really call it unfair since the solutions all made sense, even if they were obtuse at times.

It's weird to think about how much more patience I used to have for that kind of stuff back then. Now if I don't know where to go within 5 minutes I alt-tab out and immediately ask the internet to tell me where to find the thing.

I still have my copy of that little grey notebook they gave you with a copy of Myst, still full of all the notes I made to get me through the game. I'm pretty sure if the police ever found that thing, they'd think it was the ramblings of a madman.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Crappy Jack posted:

I still have my copy of that little grey notebook they gave you with a copy of Myst, still full of all the notes I made to get me through the game. I'm pretty sure if the police ever found that thing, they'd think it was the ramblings of a madman.

I would have the same problem with my notes for Starflight and Starflight II. "What are all these ramblings about the Black Egg and the... Spemin?"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I don't like this game for a lot of the same reasons assholes seem to dislike this game...

Maybe...

Maybe I'm the rear end in a top hat?

Nah.

Don't get me wrong it was well made and everything its just it lacked a certain something, Amnesia had a certain visceral quality that drew you in (yes I'm drawing comparisons to a horror game with a big monster, don't be judgey its about the closest thing I can think of in terms of gameplay), this game pushed me out so to speak. I felt like a voyeur in the least interesting way and at the end I was like 'oh. Cool.' because I guess lesbianism isn't as big a deal here in Australia land compared to the bible belt.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gone Home takes place more than a thousand miles from the Bible Belt.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Gone Home takes place more than a thousand miles from the Bible Belt.

Dude, don't even reply. Guy's just trying to get people to sucker into replying to him so he can jump up on some soap box about how enlightened the world outside of the United States is and how he's pretty sophisticated in his english-speaking paradise and how we should be ashamed of our Walmarts and McDonalds or whatever. Then someone will point out how backwards Australia is in regards to Muslims and then the thread will break down and get closed again for another month.

Just let it slide. He didn't like the game, that's cool, no big deal. Don't let that last unnecessary sentence bait you.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
I find it kinda weird that Sam being gay is apparently a 'twist' for some people. In like, the second or third log she's going on about how wonderful this new girl is and how she makes her feel all funny inside. Coupled with the vibe that this game is going to tackle ISSUES, it's pretty obvious from the start.

Note: I liked this game, though I think the original $20 price point was too steep.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

ExtraNoise posted:

Dude, don't even reply. Guy's just trying to get people to sucker into replying to him so he can jump up on some soap box about how enlightened the world outside of the United States is and how he's pretty sophisticated in his english-speaking paradise and how we should be ashamed of our Walmarts and McDonalds or whatever. Then someone will point out how backwards Australia is in regards to Muslims and then the thread will break down and get closed again for another month.

Just let it slide. He didn't like the game, that's cool, no big deal. Don't let that last unnecessary sentence bait you.

Kind of changing the subject, this game reminded me of your Moments "LP" a little bit, in terms of story. Man, a Gone Home text adventure, now THAT would be sweet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For me Sam being a lesbian wasn't a big deal, the big deal was how well they told the story of her falling in love with Lonnie.

In fact, having grown up around the same time as the game and listening to the same bands and making zines myself and all that... if anything, at that time in most places that weren't the South, society was very accepting of homosexuality. Being gay was even seen as "cool" (Michael Stipe, Kurt Cobain wearing a dress to his wedding and saying he was bi, etc etc etc).

If anything, I thought it was kind of odd that the parents in the game are presented as an environmentalist and a music loving conspiracy fiction hipster and yet freaked out about Sam being a lesbian. That was one of the few things that made me go "Wait... what?"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ExtraNoisy posted:

whoa dude god drat.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

Kind of changing the subject, this game reminded me of your Moments "LP" a little bit, in terms of story. Man, a Gone Home text adventure, now THAT would be sweet.

That's actually really high praise. Thank you. :) It's nice to have my story remembered from time to time. I don't post in GBS much these days (since the change) and I have no idea how many Games folks ever saw the Moments thread. I've been thinking about doing another CYOA story.

What would be really exciting is, in Gone Home, having access to a 1995 computer where you can sit down and play around on it, eventually stumbling upon a text-based adventure game that strangely mirrors the events unfolding in the game around you...

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I hadn't thought of this at all but now that you bring it up, that sentiment makes sense to me.

ExtraNoise posted:

That's actually really high praise. Thank you. :) It's nice to have my story remembered from time to time. I don't post in GBS much these days (since the change) and I have no idea how many Games folks ever saw the Moments thread. I've been thinking about doing another CYOA story.

What would be really exciting is, in Gone Home, having access to a 1995 computer where you can sit down and play around on it, eventually stumbling upon a text-based adventure game that strangely mirrors the events unfolding in the game around you...

Yeah Moments was pretty goddamn great, for what it's worth (I'm just some poster) I thought it was one of the best bits of content from the forums in my experience here (been lurking for several years before my reg date). On that topic, if you do create another CYOA, where do you think it will be posted? I just want to know if you make anything else is all.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

precision posted:

For me Sam being a lesbian wasn't a big deal, the big deal was how well they told the story of her falling in love with Lonnie.

In fact, having grown up around the same time as the game and listening to the same bands and making zines myself and all that... if anything, at that time in most places that weren't the South, society was very accepting of homosexuality. Being gay was even seen as "cool" (Michael Stipe, Kurt Cobain wearing a dress to his wedding and saying he was bi, etc etc etc).

If anything, I thought it was kind of odd that the parents in the game are presented as an environmentalist and a music loving conspiracy fiction hipster and yet freaked out about Sam being a lesbian. That was one of the few things that made me go "Wait... what?"

Well, I never read it as them being freaked out, they were just completely dismissive. There's a log in the kitchen where she talks about them finding out and just shrugging it off like a phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

Well, they're Christian, too.

• Locked thread