Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

As did Illium, again - amazing

Still some work to go on that, but it does feel far more city-like now at least. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Kingtheninja posted:

As far as paths are concerned, are there any classes (warrior/soldier?) that really aid certain paths? Or is it more of a "choose whichever path you think sounds fun" kind of thing?
Choose whichever is most fun. Carbine does not want to 'force' min-maxers into specific class/path combos.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Cyster posted:

Still some work to go on that, but it does feel far more city-like now at least. :)

It's still not as good as Thayd - but it definitely feels like a city rather than an encampment like it used to

edit: I was also going to whine to you about something else here but I've already posted it in the appropriate place and you've probably already read it

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 7, 2014

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

It's still not as good as Thayd - but it definitely feels like a city rather than an encampment like it used to

edit: I was also going to whine to you about something else here but I've already posted it in the appropriate place and you've probably already read it

Probably. :v: I'm an incurable forum jockey.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Kingtheninja posted:

As far as paths are concerned, are there any classes (warrior/soldier?) that really aid certain paths? Or is it more of a "choose whichever path you think sounds fun" kind of thing?

Choose whatever's fun. That said, I've found the Soldier to not add nearly as much gameplay wise as Explorer or Settler. Haven't done scientist but I don't give a poo poo about lore.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Doh004 posted:

Choose whatever's fun. That said, I've found the Soldier to not add nearly as much gameplay wise as Explorer or Settler. Haven't done scientist but I don't give a poo poo about lore.

Solider is great fun for the guy or gal that really just wants to kill poo poo and doesn't want to bother with extra platforming, resource collecting, or lore delving. It's all about personal preference.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kingtheninja posted:

Stealth is handy if you're an Explorer, but that's about all I can think of. Actually, my first Explorer was a Spellslinger and Gate was also real useful, so it's probably a wash.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Scientist is more like "mad scientist" to be honest. Sure you're scanning stuff for info but there's also times where you just poke a thing to see what happens. And usually something silly happens. It's my favorite path by far. Plus robot buddy!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Riftling posted:

Solider is great fun for the guy or gal that really just wants to kill poo poo and doesn't want to bother with extra platforming, resource collecting, or lore delving. It's all about personal preference.

Yep! I know for launch I won't be doing soldier, but that's a-ok :)

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
Just a reminder: If you want in SAMCRO, whisper unicoroner, wiggans, frankenslash, or ozymorf.

Or you can just friend request unicoroner and I'll add you once we're both online.

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 8, 2014

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
This is a weird question, but in Wildstar, do player characters have last names? It's a huge annoyance to me in some MMOs when you don't have a surname.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Dodgeball posted:

This is a weird question, but in Wildstar, do player characters have last names? It's a huge annoyance to me in some MMOs when you don't have a surname.

Not a mandatory one, no.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Barfing Cumlord posted:

Not a mandatory one, no.

Sweet deal! :dance:

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a dominion side guild going or would like to start one?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

We definitely should start a Dominion guild because the cuteness of the Exile is starting to make my eye twitch.

Bandanna
Nov 3, 2005

Bulletproof
I've been oddly fascinated by the Mordesh, anything about them besides lore?

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Is this game in closed or open beta?

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Closed beta. Seems pretty difficult to get in right now, too.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Miles O'Brian posted:

Closed beta. Seems pretty difficult to get in right now, too.

From what I've gathered, there are probably plenty of beta buddy keys, but their policy is basically "You can bring your friend along, but if he's an idiot and gets banned, you're getting banned, too." I think that's deterring a lot of people from passing out keys all willy-nilly. Surely it's what's keeping me, shining beacon of frog-avatar-having brilliance, from getting one, right? ...right?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Saxophone posted:

From what I've gathered, there are probably plenty of beta buddy keys, but their policy is basically "You can bring your friend along, but if he's an idiot and gets banned, you're getting banned, too." I think that's deterring a lot of people from passing out keys all willy-nilly. Surely it's what's keeping me, shining beacon of frog-avatar-having brilliance, from getting one, right? ...right?

They sent a small wave of friend keys out to current testers a while ago to test their friend/referral/whatever system out. It wasn't a gigantic amount of keys. They may do it again in the future, but they also may not.

Class/Path choice seems to matter a lot more in Wildstar than in other MMOs. Usually I can get by playing any class in an MMO. I ended up stalling on my current character and decided to roll a new one with a different class and path and I'm having a blast now. Carbine has done an amazing job at letting you specialize the content you want to experience.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Man, reading this thread makes me really loving jealous. Now I really wish I had just gone "gently caress work" and tried the game while I had the chance (I missed two stress tests). :(

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Any new word on release time? I've been signed up for beta, for the longest time. My wife applied not so long ago and she got in. :< the fact they don't let a lot of people on beta is good and that they are polishing this game so granularly gives me hope this will be my next 7yr game to play.

I also wanted to ask if someone could delve a bit more on the settler path and the engineer class. What has been your experience so far?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

badr posted:

Any new word on release time? I've been signed up for beta, for the longest time. My wife applied not so long ago and she got in. :< the fact they don't let a lot of people on beta is good and that they are polishing this game so granularly gives me hope this will be my next 7yr game to play.

I also wanted to ask if someone could delve a bit more on the settler path and the engineer class. What has been your experience so far?

Somebody who works in a gamestop said they got their "Release Sheet" and if memory serves me correctly it said July.

EDIT:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doesn't that happen for basically every game ever? Retailers ballpark a release date, etc. I'm pretty sure that unless it's announced by Carbine, it's bullshit.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CLAM DOWN posted:

Doesn't that happen for basically every game ever? Retailers ballpark a release date, etc. I'm pretty sure that unless it's announced by Carbine, it's bullshit.

Yeah, if GameStop's release date for a game isn't in the next couple of months, they're pretty much pulling it out of their rear end.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.

Otacon posted:

Somebody who works in a gamestop said they got their "Release Sheet" and if memory serves me correctly it said July.

EDIT:

I like how they don't list a Sims 4 normal edition.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah, if GameStop's release date for a game isn't in the next couple of months, they're pretty much pulling it out of their rear end.

While the date is purely speculative, I really don't see the game launching earlier than mid-June. Between comments from beta testers, and comments made by Carbine, it seems like everyone agrees they still have a lot of work to do. Unless they are willing to throw away all the goodwill they built up and go with a half baked release, there is no way this comes out in Spring.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

TyrantWD posted:

While the date is purely speculative, I really don't see the game launching earlier than mid-June. Between comments from beta testers, and comments made by Carbine, it seems like everyone agrees they still have a lot of work to do. Unless they are willing to throw away all the goodwill they built up and go with a half baked release, there is no way this comes out in Spring.

That puts them right in the danger zone of getting their collective asses smashed in by the new WoW expansion. Doubly so for Wildstar, given that their whole shtick is pretty much iterating on BC era WoW.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
So I read that the NDA is sort of lifted for some streamers and on some info. Can I ask a question about the races/class system? How are the races restricted to what they can do? Or can every race be every class.

I'd also like to tell a story. My long time girlfriend used to play a lot of videogames, back in the prime days of the platformer. Spyro, Banjo, Sly Cooper,Jak and Daxter but most of all she loved the ratchet and clank games. I showed her some twitch streams of the explorer path and some of the gameplay of the soldier and spellslinger and she actually jumped up and down in excitement. I know they aren't nearly the same kind of game, but the fun art style and humor of this game coupled with the more action oriented front end experience makes it really seem like something new in the world of MMOs.

I'm not going to be retarded and say it's a WoW killer or anything because I think that WoW and this game have completely different fan environments. Wildstar is going to be a MMO for people who don't like to play MMOs. All in All that's the trouble with the MMO market. F2P or subscription models aside, the genre isn't attracting new players, and every time a bland POS comes out it kind of jades the members of the MMO community, and once they become to jaded you either lose them forever or create a person who hate plays the poo poo out of something for reasons unknown.

I wish Wildstar could do something to bring back what made playing an MMORPG special back in the day, the expansive sense of community and when just by playing you could meet people from every walk of life and nation. (this still happens but not near as much).

Mrfreezewarning fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 9, 2014

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Mr.Drf posted:

So I read that the NDA is sort of listed for some streamers and on some info. Can I ask a question about the races/class system? how are the races restricted to what they can do? or can every race be every class.

There are race/class restrictions, unfortunately.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
What about gender? Are the races available as male and female?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Mr.Drf posted:

What about gender? Are the races available as male and female?

All except the Chua which are an androgynous race.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

VanillaGorilla posted:

That puts them right in the danger zone of getting their collective asses smashed in by the new WoW expansion. Doubly so for Wildstar, given that their whole shtick is pretty much iterating on BC era WoW.

The funny bit is the WoW expansion is The Burning Crusade: Prequel Edition. So this winter in terms of new (western) MMO to play you can pick from two flavors of TBC or Skyrim: the MMO. The most innovative industry.

Mr.Drf posted:

Wildstar is going to be a MMO for people who don't like to play MMOs.

From every thing I've watched and read I'd caution you to temper those expectations way, way down. The leveling looks to still be loading up quests at a quest hub and heading out into the wilds to click and punch the requisite checklists of things down. End game looks to be chasing +1s on gear from random drops. Which is great for those looking for a new iteration of the classic MMO design.

Edit: I could be completely wrong, as I don't have beta access. I kinda hope to be and they have some real neat innovations for end game hidden up their sleeve that they've been completely mum about.

My Gimmick Name fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 9, 2014

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

My Gimmick Name posted:

The funny bit is the WoW expansion is The Burning Crusade: Prequel Edition. So this winter in terms of new (western) MMO to play you can pick from two flavors of TBC or Skyrim: the MMO. The most innovative industry.

From every thing I've watched and read I'd caution you to temper those expectations way, way down. The leveling looks to still be loading up quests at a quest hub and heading out into the wilds to click and punch the requisite checklists of things down. End game looks to be chasing +1s on gear from random drops. Which is great for those looking for a new iteration of the classic MMO design.

Edit: I could be completely wrong, as I don't have beta access. I kinda hope to be and they have some real neat innovations for end game hidden up their sleeve that they've been completely mum about.

It doesn't stray far from that formula. Really, it doesn't stray at all from it :)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stanley Pain posted:

It doesn't stray far from that formula. Really, it doesn't stray at all from it :)

It embraces it in fact. If that's what you're looking for then you'll like this game.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Gimmick Name posted:

You're not wrong at all, you're dead on.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Riftling posted:

All except the Chua which are an androgynous race.

I thought the Chua still have the male/female choice, and different hair and faces and such, but the actual model is the same for both of them, because they're space hamsters and not sex robots or catgirls.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not wrong at all, you're dead on.

Yeah, as someone who has played a lot of Wildstar let me promise everyone that it gets more MMO-y than you can possibly imagine.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

My Gimmick Name posted:

You've nailed it - but from what I've seen, this game does seem to perfect this formula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

kafziel posted:

I thought the Chua still have the male/female choice, and different hair and faces and such, but the actual model is the same for both of them, because they're space hamsters and not sex robots or catgirls.

Nope, there is no gender button for them at all. Although you could argue that there are 'feminine' characteristics to choose from, I guess?

• Locked thread