Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just went to go see the Lego movie, but it was sold out. I bought the tickets in advance for the next showing instead. That's the first time that's ever happened to me, and at a 11am showing too. (I was wondering why there were so many kids leaving the theater at 10:30. I was wondering what movie they could have possibly have seen that ended that early.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

IUG posted:

Just went to go see the Lego movie, but it was sold out. I bought the tickets in advance for the next showing instead. That's the first time that's ever happened to me, and at a 11am showing too. (I was wondering why there were so many kids leaving the theater at 10:30. I was wondering what movie they could have possibly have seen that ended that early.)

I saw it on opening day at 10:40 AM, and the theater was completely empty. It was basically my friend and me along with two other families. It felt so surreal; I couldn't believe the movie only came out that day, but it felt like it was released two months ago.

Suffice to say, when the movie ended, the parking lot was jam packed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, 70 million projection for three days of sales? That'll beat out Transformers, The Incredibles, possibly even Spider-Man for first-weekend sales and cement it in the top 75 best first weekends.

That's pretty god drat good, wow. And I bet the word of mouth for it is going to make it skyrocket in popularity too, since nearly everyone seems to enjoy the poo poo out of it(my drunk friends notwithstanding).

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

raditts posted:

There was this part in one of the commercials where Will Ferrell's character said something like "when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel, you get Will Ferrell!" that made me laugh out loud, and I was disappointed it didn't show up anywhere in the movie.

That was a "behind the scenes" ad, which was mocking b-roll press kit featurettes, and each of the characters said who was playing them.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Mark Mothersbaugh on the score for The Lego Movie:

quote:

“When I saw early cuts of the movie, and there were tiny Lego bricks forming a wave, forming the explosion cloud and when he turns on the shower, water comes out as Lego blocks, so I had to think to myself, what is the sound of that universe? What is the sound of Lego?...I used old retro synthesizers that I used from the days of DEVO and then used circuit bending...If you go on YouTube you can see these people who pull out all these crazy, electronic Speak and Spells to Elmo dolls and Casio keyboards and combine the sounds. It’s circuit bending. These people even have their own circuit bent instruments. They are the vocabulary of modern music. So I looked at a lot of that gear, and I created this palate of electronic sounds.”

More than one of the best animated films ever made, if this doesn't end up on my top 10 for 2014, it will be an amazing year.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

That was a "behind the scenes" ad, which was mocking b-roll press kit featurettes, and each of the characters said who was playing them.

Along with Morgan Freeman attempting a Batman voice. It was adorable.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wish I'd gotten heckler kids in the audience I was in. I just got this one obnoxious kid that kept adjusting his seat every 20 seconds and talking way too loud.

Of course, that was offset by the fact that the theater had adjustable recliners for seats and assigned seating, which they'd just recently put in and I didn't know before getting my tickets. If they're going to add their absurd 3D surcharge, at least they make it worthwhile.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

:iia:

Hopefully this post wasn't too incoherent. :)

Also, there's no My Little Pony Lego set, as MLP is owned by a rival toy company, Hasbro.

It was awesome, thank you.

I want to reply to more lego stuff, but I refuse to derail it further. :P (I just loved those ice guys helmets with the visors and antennea molded in!)

blurry! posted:

Cloudy and a Chance of Meatballs is one of my favorite flicks. It hits my sense of humor just right. It's extremely silly, but that is one of the strengths of the movie beyond a lot of others. It doesn't try to fool you for a second that it has a grip on any sort of actual science (or cares to), and it's very self-aware of the tropes of its own genre, as well as the story beats of various underdog, something-to-prove, rise-and-fall movies like this. It also treats its audience as equally genre-savvy while not leaving behind kids, with rapid-fire jokes that you can miss on a first watch absolutely stuffing the film to the brim around the centerpiece, obvious jokes. Though it's really silly, there's a lot of heart poured into this movie, and beneath the jokes you can see it in Flint and his dad, Tim's relationship. Tim is one of the best written and acted dads I've seen on screen. I look at him and see my dad. Every scene between the two just bleeds genuineness, with Tim unable to express much though he feels plenty. I could go on about Tim a lot, in how he's more real than most live-action dads, because he doesn't know what to say. Many cinema dads are fonts of wisdom that let their worldly knowledge flow like a faucet, and always have a quip, story, or turn of phrase appropriate for the situation. Tim, though he means well, can't voice any advice not tied up in an awkward metaphor that Flint doesn't understand. Flint thinks his dad doesn't understand him, confusing it for Tim's simple lack of communication skills. I adore this movie.
However, I hadn't seen it for a while, having watched it a lot when it was on Netflix Instant. When they took it off their instant roster, I didn't go purchase a DVD copy of it since I'd watched it like 9 times or something crazy like that. I saw the sequel on Redbox, and decided a dollar was an okay price to check it out.

Cloudy 2 is pretty much the definition of a quick cash-in sequel. My wife and I call this kind of movie an "-And All Your Favorite Characters!" film from that voiceover guy who does Disney advertisements. There's a couple fun jokes in Cloudy 2, but not a lot happens in the span of 90 minutes. Flint meets his hero, Not-Steve Jobs. There's some nonsense back-and-forth with Flint wanting to be in Not-Jobs' inner circle, him failing, then getting recruited anyway that would have been more gracefully done if Not-Jobs simply included Flint from the get-go, because Flint has this really forced character arc where he must choose between his friends and his idol. There's no reason for anyone but Flint to even be there. Sam's Flint's girlfriend, so I guess you can say she can come because she cares, whatever. There's no use of her skills during the flick besides some line about mosquitos biting due to something something weather. Earl the cop comes along because reasons, and Brent is there to scream uh-oh. Like literally, that's all he's there for is to make the kids laugh with how he said UH OH! in the first movie. Manny the camera man is also along... for reasons? And Tim is along, and there's a strange, half-hearted attempt to explore something there. But it's bizarre and unfocused, and there's a weird scene where Flint finally fishes for the first time and it's the best thing ever. Okay, I guess? Basically it feels like the movie was written with the idea of posthumously deconstructing the fandom/cult of Steve Jobs. Not-Jobs gets an enormous amount of screentime, to the detriment of everybody else.

Overall, Cloudy 2 is really unfocused and unnecessary. I didn't like it.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed number 1. So After seeing 1 and discovering they were going to do a number 2 I just couldn't imagine it being good. Almost everything was solved by the end and the only reason there even was a conflict was due to Flint's machine malfuntioning. Unless they did a retread or introduced a real villain nothing good was going to come of it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Finally got around to seeing The Croods - Nicolas Cage went completely Nic Cage in at least one scene, so his presence was earned.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Saw the LEGO movie, holy poo poo it was awesome :haw: movie of the year, and the year hasn't even started!

also DUPLO blocks at the ending :allears: they totally need to sign a deal with K'nex now for the next movie

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
As great at LEGO movie was, the trailer for The Boxtrolls stole the show for me.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
We didn't get a Boxtrolls trailer :( We got a trailer for that lovely looking Oz movie though

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I got in the theater right at the end of the Boxtrolls trailer. On the bright side, Planes 2 and Oz! Ergh.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My theatre had a ad for something called Kre-o. I found it kinda amusing they'd air an ad for a LEGO rip-off before the LEGO movie.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We need a separate Lego Movie thread because we can't stop talking about it and it's so good.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

LEGO Movie was incredible. I feel that was better than Wreck it Ralph. Laughed throughout the whole thing and the ending really moved me. You really get the feeling it isn't just a message to kids and parents or to LEGO fans but to everyone who takes their nostalgia too serious and argues about stuff that isn't their demographic anymore. I watched that ending and first thing I thought of was people dissecting and criticizing the Ninja Turtles poster.

21 Jump Street is one of my favourite comedies to come out in the last decade and now the same guys made possibly my favourite animated movie in the past decade. I should probably re-watch Clone High.

All of the funniest movies I have seen in the past few years have been made by Lord and Miller. They really are the masters of the comedic domain right now. Who knew Clone High getting cancelled was going to be such a godsend for them?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'd heard a lot of excitement about the Lego movie and to be honest I was starting to get cynical about it, for no other reason than good ol' hype backlash. But I ended up seeing it last night because I was out with friends, and man, it really was great. I've been describing it to people as a 90-minute South Park with no cursing. (Or, "Imaginationland but better".) The animation alone was really clever, intriguing, and warrants repeat viewings (my mind was blown when I noticed that the tire smoke during a vehicle chase was made out of a constantly changing arrangement of grey bricks). But it's also just incredibly clever and entertaining throughout. Again, like the best episodes of South Park, it's fun, fast-paced, and irreverent while still having a soul. It's just... well, I already said it, but fun. They throw everything they can into this movie, and it works.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Sir Lemming posted:

(my mind was blown when I noticed that the tire smoke during a vehicle chase was made out of a constantly changing arrangement of grey bricks)

If the BluRay does not have a behind the scenes thing for going into the tech behind this movie, it would be a damned shame.

I would say 'crime' but given the target audience, I would understand if they concentrated on kids features.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Saw Lego today. Normally we wait a few weeks, let the hype die down, let the crowds thin out, but sometimes having little kids in the audience makes movies that are awesome even more awesome! Like when Emmett seemingly fell to his death and Lucy yells "NO-O-O-O-O!" and the three-year-old behind us says:

:colbert: Yes. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Macaluso posted:

We didn't get a Boxtrolls trailer :( We got a trailer for that lovely looking Oz movie though

We got both, I think they changed the Boxtrolls one because I didn't remember the animated parts at the end.

Also Lego was pretty fun, I loved the dawning realization on real life Will Ferrell when he realized he's acting like an idiot sperg.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Corek posted:

We need a separate Lego Movie thread because we can't stop talking about it and it's so good.

I'm pretty sure there's been one for months.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

effectual posted:

I'm pretty sure there's been one for months.

There isn't, I checked.

Edit: Just read something about the Lego Movie that blew my mind. You know how they had "8 1/2 Years Later" at the beginning? They had that because Lord Business/The Man Upstairs started the whole Lego world before Finn was born and everything changed when he came down to play with them, and Finn looked about 8.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 10, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Sir Lemming posted:

I'd heard a lot of excitement about the Lego movie and to be honest I was starting to get cynical about it, for no other reason than good ol' hype backlash. But I ended up seeing it last night because I was out with friends, and man, it really was great. I've been describing it to people as a 90-minute South Park with no cursing. (Or, "Imaginationland but better".) The animation alone was really clever, intriguing, and warrants repeat viewings (my mind was blown when I noticed that the tire smoke during a vehicle chase was made out of a constantly changing arrangement of grey bricks). But it's also just incredibly clever and entertaining throughout. Again, like the best episodes of South Park, it's fun, fast-paced, and irreverent while still having a soul. It's just... well, I already said it, but fun. They throw everything they can into this movie, and it works.

This is exactly how I've been describing it -- a PG version of Imaginationland (which I also adore).

I didn't realize I could have so many feelings about a movie about LEGO.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sir Lemming posted:

I'd heard a lot of excitement about the Lego movie and to be honest I was starting to get cynical about it, for no other reason than good ol' hype backlash. But I ended up seeing it last night because I was out with friends, and man, it really was great. I've been describing it to people as a 90-minute South Park with no cursing. (Or, "Imaginationland but better".)

Why would you even make that comparison, there are talented people behind The Lego Movie.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Pixeltendo posted:

Ya I saw the Croods the other day too and it's insanely good, I wish marketing would stop making movies not look the way they're supposed too.

This was playing at the plasma center I go to the other day, and I loved it. I can't praise the concept "early homo sapien ends up in the company of a neanderthal family, comedy ensues" enough.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Waffleman_ posted:

There isn't, I checked.

Edit: Just read something about the Lego Movie that blew my mind. You know how they had "8 1/2 Years Later" at the beginning? They had that because Lord Business/The Man Upstairs started the whole Lego world before Finn was born and everything changed when he came down to play with them, and Finn looked about 8.

Oh poo poo why did I never figure this out. This is amazing.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have made a crude Lego Movie thread.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

I'm glad you guys have so much good stuff to say about the Lego movie cos I mentioned that I wanted to see it to a friend and she went OH MAN ME TOO and started listing off a poo poo-ton of pop culture characters that were in it like it was a Family Guy episode or something and it made me not want to see it again.

Thank you for restoring my hope. Also the Clone High and Cloudy dudes did this? gently caress yes I am so down for this movie.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Traxus IV posted:

Thank you for restoring my hope. Also the Clone High and Cloudy dudes did this? gently caress yes I am so down for this movie.

To the point where Lego Abe Lincoln has like two lines, but dammit if they didn't hire Will Forte to play Abe Lincoln again. And then one of the robot guards totally has the Mr. Butlertron voice going on. And let's not even get into the amazing 21 Jump Street casting nod.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Traxus IV posted:

I'm glad you guys have so much good stuff to say about the Lego movie cos I mentioned that I wanted to see it to a friend and she went OH MAN ME TOO and started listing off a poo poo-ton of pop culture characters that were in it like it was a Family Guy episode or something and it made me not want to see it again.

The majority of the licensed characters only appear in one scene and are used for quick jokes. The only licensed character with a really significant presence in the movie is Batman and he's the best cinematic Batman we've had.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Jesus, 70 million projection for three days of sales? That'll beat out Transformers, The Incredibles, possibly even Spider-Man for first-weekend sales and cement it in the top 75 best first weekends.

That's pretty god drat good, wow. And I bet the word of mouth for it is going to make it skyrocket in popularity too, since nearly everyone seems to enjoy the poo poo out of it(my drunk friends notwithstanding).
For more reference/specific numbers:

Box Office Mojo posted:

The LEGO Movie took first place with an estimated $69.1 million, which ranks second all-time in the month of February behind The Passion of the Christ ($83.8 million). That fantastic debut is among the best-ever for an "original" (i.e. not a sequel or prequel) animated movie ever along with Up ($68.1 million), Dr. Seuss' The Lorax ($70.2 million) and The Incredibles ($70.5 million). For reference, the current record-holder is The Simpsons Movie with $74 million.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Crappy Jack posted:

To the point where Lego Abe Lincoln has like two lines, but dammit if they didn't hire Will Forte to play Abe Lincoln again. And then one of the robot guards totally has the Mr. Butlertron voice going on. And let's not even get into the amazing 21 Jump Street casting nod.

Oh my god! :syoon: That's completely amazing.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Of course I know there's no loving way The Boxtrolls will set the world on fire like The Lego Movie has, but I love to imagine a sizable chunk of kids will start beating their chests like Donkey Kong after September 26.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah I don't really see any other animated movies this year pulling LEGO or Frozen numbers, maybe that Big hero movie by disney?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Crappy Jack posted:

Who's will fort? And the 21 jump guys were in Lego? As what?

Good movie, I just saw it. Now I'm at the pub and some football player cam out? Great day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

effectual posted:

Who's will fort? And the 21 jump guys were in Lego? As what?

Good movie, I just saw it. Now I'm at the pub and some football player cam out? Great day.

Will Forte is this guy:

And Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill were Superman and Green Lantern

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What the flying gently caress is Lego doing on a February release?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Das Boo posted:

Kicking ungodly amounts of rear end, apparently.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Das Boo posted:

It found the mythical "people who want to see stuff in winter" demographic that 300 and Watchmen were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Pixeltendo posted:

Yeah I don't really see any other animated movies this year pulling LEGO or Frozen numbers, maybe that Big hero movie by disney?

How to Train Your Dragon 2 if it's as good as the original.

• Locked thread