Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

GOOCHY posted:

I actually kind of like it. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Seems like it could be a good couch MMO for awhile on PS4.

The only other console MMO is FF right? If so, I can see this becoming somewhat successful cause the consoleros don't know any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
MMOs worst genre in games

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"Seems like it could be a good couch MMO for awhile on PS4"

is basically like an alcoholic reviewing TESCO vodka and praising it for having the advertised alcohol content, and thus keeping him blacked out for a while.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Teron D Amun posted:

The only other console MMO is FF right? If so, I can see this becoming somewhat successful cause the consoleros don't know any better.

Defiance was on consoles as well

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
The PvP is going to be where it's at in ESO. It's going to be similar to Dark Age of Camelot - which was good until the ToA expansion game out and broke everything.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
dont play mmos

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Last_Ranger posted:

most ppl i know are saying "well just give it a try" or some poo poo but it's just basic logic that if you remove what made the game fun and exciting then older fans probably won't like it imo

realtalk "bloo bloo older fans" can suck my dick

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im really glad every mmo ever has either died a painful death or is dying a painful death. leave no survivors

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I can't believe mmos are still being made. Alot of amazing gameplay designs died with their designer's companies. I think Shadowbane was probably the biggest loss.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
my favorite part about this mmo is the people complaining that its not faithful to elder scrolls lore.

theres a loving elder scrolls lore?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fucker posted:

my favorite part about this mmo is the people complaining that its not faithful to elder scrolls lore.

theres a loving elder scrolls lore?

How many elder scrolls games are there?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
people read, analyze and write out the canon of elder scrolls based on the terrible written books in the tes games. thats very remarkable

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Fucker posted:

people read, analyze and write out the canon of elder scrolls based on the terrible written books in the tes games. thats very remarkable

I wonder if those people could write and sell books based in the elder scrolls universe without getting sued.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Yes, out of all the MMOs let's mourn the loss of the bug ridden piece of poo poo Shadowbane.

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
When Toontown and pirates of the Caribbean online shut down, the MMO gaming market died.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It's not that I have a strong personal attachment to the lore or anything but having played a bunch of TES games that do generally manage to maintain some sort of continuity in the bad writing some of the stranger choices about TESO are kind of like if you want to see Peter Jackson's The Hobbit but were shocked to discover that it takes place on post-apocalyptic new jersey and that the hobbits are portrayed as a race of futuristic mutant cats. If they wanted to do that they should have just hired some writers and made a new story to go with it because it's actively made worse by trying to shoehorn in a bunch of readymade story in a way that doesn't line up with any returning customer's expectations. This will be another bad MMO regardless but it's made that much worse, being a TES game, by the fact that apparently nobody involved in its design has ever played a TES game.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

"Seems like it could be a good couch MMO for awhile on PS4"

is basically like an alcoholic reviewing TESCO vodka and praising it for having the advertised alcohol content, and thus keeping him blacked out for a while.

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

Are the Bosmer still cannibals?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Lonely Virgil posted:

Are the Bosmer still cannibals?

theyve been backpedaling on everything interesting about the lore for the past decade

so no probably not

theyre probably not even bosmer anymore, just not-dark elves

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

gggiiimmmppp posted:

It's not that I have a strong personal attachment to the lore or anything but having played a bunch of TES games that do generally manage to maintain some sort of continuity in the bad writing some of the stranger choices about TESO are kind of like if you want to see Peter Jackson's The Hobbit but were shocked to discover that it takes place on post-apocalyptic new jersey and that the hobbits are portrayed as a race of futuristic mutant cats. If they wanted to do that they should have just hired some writers and made a new story to go with it because it's actively made worse by trying to shoehorn in a bunch of readymade story in a way that doesn't line up with any returning customer's expectations. This will be another bad MMO regardless but it's made that much worse, being a TES game, by the fact that apparently nobody involved in its design has ever played a TES game.

But the best parts of TES are the ones that are totally batshit crazy and out of left field. This is why everyone loves Morrowind, because while it's the same bad TES gameplay the world is a crazy clusterfuck of volcanoes and giant bugs and mushroom houses and dead robot gods or whatever that you can wander around and break at your leisure. Also you can easily juke up your stats and be the loving flash or break spellcasting and literally fly. The reason many people play TES and not other RPGs is that at its absolute best it's essentially the Saint's Row of fantasy games in terms of goofy poo poo, and TESO has none of that.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

But the best parts of TES are the ones that are totally batshit crazy and out of left field. This is why everyone loves Morrowind, because while it's the same bad TES gameplay the world is a crazy clusterfuck of volcanoes and giant bugs and mushroom houses and dead robot gods or whatever that you can wander around and break at your leisure. Also you can easily juke up your stats and be the loving flash or break spellcasting and literally fly. The reason many people play TES and not other RPGs is that at its absolute best it's essentially the Saint's Row of fantasy games in terms of goofy poo poo, and TESO has none of that.

e: this also why the shivering Isles was such a fun expansion

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 9, 2014

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
just wanted to reiterate how weird it is that a sub based mmo is coming out in 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lumpy the Cook posted:

just wanted to reiterate how weird it is that a sub based mmo is coming out in 2014

id be impressed if it was still sub based going into 2015

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
People made the "Why would you ruin a good singleplayer RPG series with a deadweight MMO that will suck in money and talent like a vortex before going free-to-play and draining any remaining enthusiasm for the franchise, then shutting down entirely" argument about KOTOR/SW:TOR too

But the best parts of TES are the ones that are totally batshit crazy and out of left field. This is why everyone loves Morrowind, because while it's the same bad TES gameplay the world is a crazy clusterfuck of volcanoes and giant bugs and mushroom houses and dead robot gods or whatever that you can wander around and break at your leisure. Also you can easily juke up your stats and be the loving flash or break spellcasting and literally fly.
This is all actually technically part of the lore

A Stupid Baby fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 9, 2014

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No LFG channel or group finder.

No auction channel or AH.

Rumor is guilds can sell things as a guild in a AH, also to people outside a guild.

You can be part of 5 guilds at once.

Guild chat commands are /guild1 /guild2 ect

Only zone chats.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how's the chim in this? thick? or runny?

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Also the fact that no one really wanted this at all, apart from people who get excited at the concept of a skyrim mmo before remembering what mmo's are actually like.

How long has this been in development? because i can only think they wanted to quickly capitalize on skyrims/Tes' recent hype and success by making a game where people will pay to play.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You can easily justify a subscription if you're actually putting forth a good high quality game instead of dogshit so yeah no current MMOs can require subscriptions.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Also the fact that no one really wanted this at all, apart from people who get excited at the concept of a skyrim mmo before remembering what mmo's are actually like.

How long has this been in development? because i can only think they wanted to quickly capitalize on skyrims/Tes' recent hype and success by making a game where people will pay to play.

since early 2007. so its actually like they wanted to capitalize on oblivions hype

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

toggle posted:

Not all that chimmy, I fear

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Well yeah, of course, and then you turn that poo poo up to 11 with mods, which is impossible in a MMO

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

toggle posted:

there is no chim

it is not a tes game

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ponce de Le0n posted:

wait. are you saying video game companies are motivated solely because of money? :monocle:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Third World Reggin posted:

No LFG channel or group finder.

No auction channel or AH.

Rumor is guilds can sell things as a guild in a AH, also to people outside a guild.

You can be part of 5 guilds at once.

Guild chat commands are /guild1 /guild2 ect

Only zone chats.

It's really weird how many of these huge dev cycle big budget MMOs seem to not integrate any playability features that were invented after the year they started being developed.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Omi-Polari posted:

wait. are you saying video game companies are motivated solely because of money? :monocle:

Yeah but usually they'd re-tread old ground (skyrim was basically oblivion 2), not make some vanity mmo monstrosity.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i've got some nerds on facebook who think eso isn't going to suck.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

there is no chim

it is not a tes game

There's an Elder Scroll of Chim in this.

It provides 10% more defense if your team captures it, I think.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Slavoj Vivec

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
if you can't mod giant dicks into it then i doubt the regular elder scrolls fanbase will pay for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Corek posted:

Slavoj Vivec

• Locked thread