Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
mt gox is like 30-40 bucks below the other exchanges

it's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xf2qj/my_wallet_just_emptied_into_this_address/

guy loses 20 butts to something called "StealthBit" which was released as clean source and a malicious binary. a bunch of commenters admit theyd be stupid enough to fall for it too

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Phoning It In posted:

clean source and a malicious binary

that is hilariously clever

Phoning It In
Oct 17, 2010
i'll also admit to running precompiled binaries all the time, just not ones linked on r/bitcoin

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Robawesome posted:

whoa, what happened there?

shut up corky. loving girly cork troll cork
are you even married? i bet youre not married. i will fight your corky irl, im married.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
there's a lot of open source stuff out there that has semi-malicious stuff in the installer, although usually it's opt-out so as long as you don't just instinctively click "next" over and over you'll avoid it

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
also i tried digging through bitcointalk et al in search of more stuff re: the blockchain app but my eyes glazed over and i got nowhere

i do not understand how people like ...! can read any of that

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]anaccountjustforyou 1 point 8 minutes ago*

Agreed, if it's 100% pre-mined, then of course it wouldn't affect the money supply if it only gets issued in exchange for us dollar.

Mining is just another word for "poviding proof of work to the rest of the network". And proof of work is the basis for the integrity of the blockchain. So without sufficient mining, the integrity of the network can not be guaranteed. Of course, if the only goal is to process transactions with a fully premined coin, then the IRS could "mine" on a single GPU. But, again, that would defeat the purpose of a network based on the bitcoin protocol. And they would also have to make sure that the protocol and the network are fully "closed", otherwise it is open to outside attacks.

So if the goverment would be to create their own bitcoin, they would have to bastardize every aspect of the protocol that makes it what it is: Centralized instead of decentralized, closed source instead of open source, trust in a single authority instead of trust-free transactions. And isn't that what we have already today with the banking system?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Robawesome posted:

[–]anaccountjustforyou 1 point 8 minutes ago*

Agreed, if it's 100% pre-mined, then of course it wouldn't affect the money supply if it only gets issued in exchange for us dollar.

Mining is just another word for "poviding proof of work to the rest of the network". And proof of work is the basis for the integrity of the blockchain. So without sufficient mining, the integrity of the network can not be guaranteed. Of course, if the only goal is to process transactions with a fully premined coin, then the IRS could "mine" on a single GPU. But, again, that would defeat the purpose of a network based on the bitcoin protocol. And they would also have to make sure that the protocol and the network are fully "closed", otherwise it is open to outside attacks.

So if the goverment would be to create their own bitcoin, they would have to bastardize every aspect of the protocol that makes it what it is: Centralized instead of decentralized, closed source instead of open source, trust in a single authority instead of trust-free transactions. And isn't that what we have already today with the banking system?

it's like p2p currencies have no advantages over centralized ones

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]gutigen[S] 2 points 41 minutes ago

Faith is going away, at pretty fast pace. Government backing means nothing, just look at what happened in Poland or Greece last year (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't participate in this discussion).

[–]tulipfutures 2 points 36 minutes ago

Government backing means nothing? Okay...somehow our economy just manages to chug along for centuries on trust despite the government meaning nothing? When I provide tax money to the government you don't think people trust that money will be spent for the benefit of their society? You're delusional and claims like "faith is going away fast" and "government backing means nothing" are straight-up idiotic

[–]gutigen[S] 1 point 27 minutes ago

Delusional are the people who think that tax money are spent for their benefit :) However I just wanted to share this news with community here, not get into the discussion about the need for any kind of government (which is nothing else then badly driven, monopolistic corporation with too much power).

[–]tulipfutures 1 point 22 minutes ago

I pay my taxes, my roads are well-maintained, the snow on the roads get plowed and the medical professionals, firefighters and police officers paid by my tax dollars all seem to be working okay. I'm in Canada so if you're an American your experience might be different but obviously the vast majority of taxes are used by the government towards society, you sound nonsensical to argue otherwise

[–]gutigen[S] 2 points 15 minutes ago

Maybe because I don't live in Canada or Sweden or Finland or Swiss or one of only few other countries where gov and society work a little (just a little) better. Maybe that's why I have a little clearer view on this matter. You know, over 6 billion people do not live in those countries and have to struggle with their lifes with retarded governments and banks on their backs.

[–]tulipfutures 1 point 6 minutes ago

Ugh, you're such a pedantic arguer. It doesn't matter if you are in Canada or the broken U.S.A, in every first-world country taxes are spent for the reason they are collected. Some of them are arguably wasted on salaries and bonuses, etc, but the majority? yeah, right.

oh, and your complaints are hilarious, whining about the government and banks "on your back" ensuring your money isn't irreversibly stolen and that you have a road to drive to work on.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

quote:

I went to Hudson Eatery, New York City today and they DO NOT accept Bitcoin anymore.

I'm in New York City right now and wanted to check out some of the place on coinmap.org that accept Bitcoin. I found Hudson Eatery near Central Park. I went there and had some lunch. When I got the bill and asked if I could pay in Bitcoin, the waitress said they didn't accept Bitcoin anymore and only had done so for roughly a week some time in 2013. I'm kind of disappointed, and was wondering what the Bitcoin community as a whole could do to keep coinmap.org and other lists updated. (I googled Hudson Eatery prior to going there to doublecheck, and it didn't seem like they would reject my BTC.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xgqvj/i_went_to_hudson_eatery_new_york_city_today_and/

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Robawesome posted:

(if you don't know what I'm talking about, you shouldn't participate in this discussion)

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Heresiarch posted:

also i tried digging through bitcointalk et al in search of more stuff re: the blockchain app but my eyes glazed over and i got nowhere

i do not understand how people like ...! can read any of that

it's ok you don't have to suffer any longer, i'm almost done with this one

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

Phoning It In posted:

"Steal th' Bit"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Phoning It In posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xf2qj/my_wallet_just_emptied_into_this_address/

guy loses 20 butts to something called "StealthBit" which was released as clean source and a malicious binary. a bunch of commenters admit theyd be stupid enough to fall for it too

quote:

[–]Terrierpike 10 points 7 hours ago
You might be able to take a tax deduction as this is a substantial loss with a verifiable market value.
permalinksave
[–]rs_dog 2 points 3 hours ago
That is a good idea actually.
permalinksaveparent
[–]allinfinite[S] 1 point 4 hours ago
that's good advice.. I might try that.. bits certainly went up in value this year.. I'm pretty much back to where I was at in March... not the end of the world... maybe we'll get back there by next year..
permalinksaveparent
[–]wonderkindel 1 point 22 minutes ago
Hope you like being audited.
permalinksaveparent
[–]allinfinite[S] 1 point 13 minutes ago
I'd probably have to write up a police report.. anyone have success with that?

lmao @ writing off funbux losses

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
"Andreas M. Antonopoulos is the Chief Security Officer of Blockchain."

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Seriously, Buttcoin, please call out the tech media on this. The fact they're trying to frame this as arbitrary when they're on the record that they cheated the app review is terrible.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is 'corky' meant as a Life Goes On burn

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

like, put out press releases and everything.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

bump_fn posted:

is 'corky' meant as a Life Goes On burn

i thought it was some obscure australian anti-gay slang or something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Pumpy Dumper posted:

lmao @ writing off funbux losses

you can only write off a loss if you have an exercise price and a strike price. god i hope he does this, the audit will be brutal

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he's saying that you will soon be irrelevant and forgotten, like chris kattan

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

who

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

The fact they say Bitcoin is unstoppable but freak out over sane criticism speaks volumes about their confidence in Bitcoin.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
please don't decorate my piano with roses, I just want tulips on my organ

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

In the hole, need some help. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 48 seconds ago by motodave6

Hi Reddit Community,

Please read this with openness and try not to criticize me.

I sold my car and borrowed a sizable amount of money from some family and friends to buy bitcoin. I unfortunately bought in near the height, a little over the $1000 mark. I originally bought them through coinbase. I literally thought it would easily hit $1,300, I would make a pretty penny.

Then I thought I could start day trading them, so I moved them over to Bitstamp and BTC-E. From there, i’ve really screwed up. I’ve literally bought at the highs and sold at the lows. If anyone wants to know when to buy or sell, if you just did the exact opposite of what iv’e done, you’d be very well off right now.

I’m really screwed right now. I’ve gotten in way over my head. I’m embarrassed. I have no one to blame but myself and my complete stupidity. I just sit there all day staring at the charts on bitcoinity.

I’ve started to have anxiety attacks, which I don’t ever remember having. I can barley sleep at night.

I really just want this to be over, I want to get out. I would be so happy to just get out and not even break even but just be able to pay the debts I took to get in in the first place outside of my car.

If anyone on here reading this is well off, was an early bitcoin adopter, and can afford to spare a little bit, every bit counts. I would be extreemly grateful.

And I really don’t mean to offend anyone or look like a beggar. I’m under pressure to pay the debts back and this is kind of my last resort, otherwise I would just keep holding whatever I have and hope it could go back up (it’s not so much the price drop thats hurting me, but the trading losses. At this point it would have to hit $1,600 per coin to for me to break even. And I’m just under pressure to pay back what I owe now. This mostly due to the expectations I set to those I borrowed from.

Anything you can give helps. I’ve accepted that i’m going to have to be in debt for my complete incompetence, but if I could lower the debt by any amount, it would really help.

Also, any advise would really help. And please don’t rip on me or mock me, it’s really not going to help me at this point.

Thanks for your understanding. In advanced, to whoever can send anything or give advice, I really appreciate it.

My address: 17fqs1sLjeYRpjkCpHE1nBsQFiTnw1Aibt

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TVarmy posted:

The fact they say Bitcoin is unstoppable but freak out over sane criticism speaks volumes about their confidence in Bitcoin.
the triumph of bitcoin is inevitable and unstoppable and it will replace all fiat currencies by autumn 2015 at the latest, which is why half the posts on /r/bitcoin are about efforts to convince/beg/fool/trick local businesses into using bitcoins

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Robawesome posted:

In the hole, need some help. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 48 seconds ago by motodave6

Hi Reddit Community,

Please read this with openness and try not to criticize me.

I sold my car and borrowed a sizable amount of money from some family and friends to buy bitcoin. I unfortunately bought in near the height, a little over the $1000 mark. I originally bought them through coinbase. I literally thought it would easily hit $1,300, I would make a pretty penny.

Then I thought I could start day trading them, so I moved them over to Bitstamp and BTC-E. From there, i’ve really screwed up. I’ve literally bought at the highs and sold at the lows. If anyone wants to know when to buy or sell, if you just did the exact opposite of what iv’e done, you’d be very well off right now.

I’m really screwed right now. I’ve gotten in way over my head. I’m embarrassed. I have no one to blame but myself and my complete stupidity. I just sit there all day staring at the charts on bitcoinity.

I’ve started to have anxiety attacks, which I don’t ever remember having. I can barley sleep at night.

I really just want this to be over, I want to get out. I would be so happy to just get out and not even break even but just be able to pay the debts I took to get in in the first place outside of my car.

If anyone on here reading this is well off, was an early bitcoin adopter, and can afford to spare a little bit, every bit counts. I would be extreemly grateful.

And I really don’t mean to offend anyone or look like a beggar. I’m under pressure to pay the debts back and this is kind of my last resort, otherwise I would just keep holding whatever I have and hope it could go back up (it’s not so much the price drop thats hurting me, but the trading losses. At this point it would have to hit $1,600 per coin to for me to break even. And I’m just under pressure to pay back what I owe now. This mostly due to the expectations I set to those I borrowed from.

Anything you can give helps. I’ve accepted that i’m going to have to be in debt for my complete incompetence, but if I could lower the debt by any amount, it would really help.

Also, any advise would really help. And please don’t rip on me or mock me, it’s really not going to help me at this point.

Thanks for your understanding. In advanced, to whoever can send anything or give advice, I really appreciate it.

My address: 17fqs1sLjeYRpjkCpHE1nBsQFiTnw1Aibt

the greater fool

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Wearable BitCoin Flexible Slap Bracelet

Posted by LanceSeidman on January 20, 2014 04:19 pm 3

I've been working on the concept and here is an example:

Photo:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bec0aJsCMAAlFsf.jpg:large

Video:

http://youtu.be/ox6KdV4KzOw

Would you wear one?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I really think this is a new low

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Photo:

Video:

Would you wear one?

wow that's ugly as poo poo

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i'm the layer of smeg encrusting every surface

no i really am

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

also http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/apple-patent-application-describes-iwatch-slap-bracelets/

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

TVarmy posted:

Seriously, Buttcoin, please call out the tech media on this. The fact they're trying to frame this as arbitrary when they're on the record that they cheated the app review is terrible.

ok

http://buttcoin.org/real-reason-blockchain-app-removed

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Photo:

Video:

Would you wear one?

idgi
why would i want a bunch of beep boop numbers on my wrist?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

this is good

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

everything in this image is great

i'm the...
  • living room so small the subwoofer is wedged against the coffee table

that's not a subwoofer, that's a pair of acoustic research bookshelf speakers

i know this because i have the exact same speakers :negative:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

99 Headmates posted:

that's not a subwoofer, that's a pair of acoustic research bookshelf speakers

i know this because i have the exact same speakers :negative:

you should get the coffee table to go with them

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

The Shocking Truth That They Don't Want You To Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Banks making their own cryptocurrency (centralized) (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 4 hours ago* by gutigen

http://translate.google.pl/translat...18.html&act=url

It seems that EU banks are trying to squeeze cryptocurrency market for themselves before Bitcoin and Co. becomes more popular.

EDIT: Guys, try not to discuss with /u/tulipfutures. It's a 2 days old account and judging from his comments in other threads, he is either a troll, a troll from banking system or a troll from gov.

• Locked thread