Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
The guy playing Flint's Quartermaster is excellent. I'm loving his scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

The change from Jodi to Vane is remarkable.Also the music theme is phenomenal,the hurdy gurdy sounds haunting.

hump day bitches! fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 9, 2014

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm really enjoying this show so far, but the Eleanor and Vane encounter at the end of this episode was super-contrived and didn't feel at all organic. Was there really no other way for her to be there and find out about Max? Is "Her word's good enough for me" really that effective of a line?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This is getting pretty good. Silver didn't seem half as annoying that episode and everything else is moving along nicely.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
If that samurai pirate doesnt come back later and do something awesome, I'm gonna be sad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Svaha posted:

Yeah that doesn't fit with the era, but to be fair, they didn't actually show him lighting whatever it was he used to light his cigarillo, (Ferrocerium strikers being the innovation with lighters), or even the device itself - just closing it with a ker-chunk noise in the blurry background.

Flintlocks were a thing on guns around this time period, which basically scraped flint against metal to make sparks. I can imagine making a firelighter out of basically one of those?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ShakeZula posted:

I'm really enjoying this show so far, but the Eleanor and Vane encounter at the end of this episode was super-contrived and didn't feel at all organic. Was there really no other way for her to be there and find out about Max? Is "Her word's good enough for me" really that effective of a line?

Well to be fair, we don't know their full backstory except that they were together before. They may have been a thing for a long time before the breakup, which could make the subtext of "I'm doing this deal because of you" obvious to her. I thought the sudden switch from her loving Vain to suddenly totally blaming him for his crew's actions more jarring

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

Well to be fair, we don't know their full backstory except that they were together before. They may have been a thing for a long time before the breakup, which could make the subtext of "I'm doing this deal because of you" obvious to her. I thought the sudden switch from her loving Vain to suddenly totally blaming him for his crew's actions more jarring

No it's because he had her lover locked up and didn't tell her (and she also blames him for what happens consequentially).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Alchenar posted:

No it's because he had her lover locked up and didn't tell her (and she also blames him for what happens consequentially).

Which is hilarious considering that Eleanor proceeds to use that as a bargaining chip with her broken body like four feet away. How could someone be so ice cold and so passionate at the same time?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

PSA: It's Charles Vane, not Vain.

Edit: You probably think this post is about you.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Samurai Pirate was cool and it was interesting that they made Ben Hornigold and his crew Jacobites.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope something nice happens for Max soon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The bald quartermaster guy (...Gates? I'm bad with names) is quickly becoming my favourite character in this. "It's my mistake, really, when I said I we needed to be civil for this meeting to happen, I should have specified that this would go for the entire duration of the meeting." :allears:

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE
So is this show gonna get renewed or something? I need to know before I start watching it.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

ov posted:

So is this show gonna get renewed or something? I need to know before I start watching it.

Already picked up for season two before it aired. They have to get the most of out of these sets.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Tokubetsu posted:

Already picked up for season two before it aired. They have to get the most of out of these sets.

I can't imagine it getting more than a second season though - so hopefully it gets a good ending. I've enjoyed it so far.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

nooneofconsequence posted:

I hope something nice happens for Max soon.

I was thinking that maybe they were setting her up to become Mary Read, but that just kind of depends on how much they're willing to change about what we know of her historically.

Also am I the only person that has to constantly remind himself that Hannah New (Eleanor) is not, in fact, Dominique McElligott (Lily Bell from Hell on Wheels)?

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!
I might need to re-watch episode 2 again, but has Max basically said:

"I wanted us to run away together but you wanted to stay and said you would keep me safe. I said screw that and ran away anyway and got caught, beaten and raped. This is all your fault."

?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Bodzilla posted:

I might need to re-watch episode 2 again, but has Max basically said:

"I wanted us to run away together but you wanted to stay and said you would keep me safe. I said screw that and ran away anyway and got caught, beaten and raped. This is all your fault."

?
Eleanor sold her out to Flint and her offer of protection was more or less "you're my property" when she obviously thought they were something more. Joining Vane is more spiteful than logical.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Loving the show, it's a similar awesome package of violence, scheming and lurid sex scenes similar to Spartacus.

Another side note is you can watch the pilot episode on Starz Play for free.

etalian fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 10, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It seems like a few people missed this. AV Club gave it a D+ which is a bit ridiculous even before you see that Helix got a B.

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
So far the two best characters on the show are the quartermasters. I want every episode to contain as much of those two as possible.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Perestroika posted:

The bald quartermaster guy (...Gates? I'm bad with names) is quickly becoming my favourite character in this. "It's my mistake, really, when I said I we needed to be civil for this meeting to happen, I should have specified that this would go for the entire duration of the meeting." :allears:

I have to say the other quartermaster is quickly my favorite. He's so slimy and slick, much better than the Silver actor. I almost think he should have gotten the role.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the posted:

I have to say the other quartermaster is quickly my favorite. He's so slimy and slick, much better than the Silver actor. I almost think he should have gotten the role.

Silver actor is just there for eye candy.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

the posted:

Those four-lens pirate sunglasses of his are also pretty badass. :c00l:

I don't really take issue with Eleanor being so angry at Vane, but I did think it slightly weird how forgiving she was to the people who she literally caught in the act of raping. I know that she knew that Flint needed the men and all, but she really didn't even say anything about the fate of that one guy she hit with the driftwood?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I like this show but there are quite a few characters to keep track of, and most of them aren't interesting enough to make it worthwhile. The only characters whose names I know are Flint, Silver, Vane, Eleanor, Max, and Billy. Who was the old guy the bald quartermaster was trying to get a ship from?

It is a fun show though.

Pron on VHS fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 10, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

I like this show but there are quite a few characters to keep track of, and most of them aren't interesting enough to make it worthwhile. The only characters whose names I know are Flint, Silver, Vane, Eleanor, Max, and Billy. Who was the old guy the bald quartermaster was trying to get a ship from?

It is a fun show though.

It's also not shy up delivering a double helping of boobs and violence.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I don't really take issue with Eleanor being so angry at Vane, but I did think it slightly weird how forgiving she was to the people who she literally caught in the act of raping. I know that she knew that Flint needed the men and all...

And that's all you need to know. Her feelings for Max may be on some level genuine, but in the end Flint's her ticket and she's going to back it above anything and everything else in her life. So if she has to let her girlfriend's rapists off the hook to get Flint the personnel he needs to take the Urca, she'll do it with nary a second thought. She can rationalize that at least Vane would be punished for Max's initial capture and abuse, but in the end, she's shown that she's every bit the pirate as the people she does business with.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

This is becoming my third favorite show about horrible people (Sunny and Shameless are first and second). The show is chronologically set before Blackbeards death right? but is the period of Black Sails during his "retirement"? I think it's be great if we could see him on it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vincent posted:

This is becoming my third favorite show about horrible people (Sunny and Shameless are first and second). The show is chronologically set before Blackbeards death right? but is the period of Black Sails during his "retirement"? I think it's be great if we could see him on it.

It's more a prequel in many ways to Treasure Island.

Also loved the crude Blackbeard visual gag from the pilot

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This show is surprisingly funny. I really laughed hard when Silver sent a SECOND hobo out to Vane after the first was brutally shanked,"He says to give ME the pearls." The look Jack and Vanes face was priceless.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Pron on VHS posted:

Who was the old guy the bald quartermaster was trying to get a ship from?

That was Benjamin Hornigold, which gives me hope we may see Blackbeard soon. BTW don't worry about looking stuff up here, other then names they are making up 99% of the history.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

the posted:

Jack Rackham might be my favorite character on the show. Both him and and the guy who plays Vane really seem to capture at least the myths that surround these two guys very well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Similar to Spartacus it does have historically accurate elements too such as pirate ships be much more democratic than the standing navies.

Captains were expected to get results and the crew would often vote on big decisions instead of standard military command system found in European navies.

Also the disability payments from the pilot episode were another historically accurate detail since pirates had a detailed system for providing financial help for crew members who were badly injured in the line of the duty.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
So, this show is played more or less straight and doesn't have a mythical or supernatural element to it, right?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

So, this show is played more or less straight and doesn't have a mythical or supernatural element to it, right?

Except for one rogue time-traveling zippo lighter, yes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i missed a eureka moment when Moneybags found that painting Mr and Mrs Thomas Hamilton.

who the gently caress is Thomas Hamilton, it's after doing my head in now.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

BlackJosh posted:

Jack Rackham might be my favorite character on the show. Both him and and the guy who plays Vane really seem to capture at least the myths that surround these two guys very well.

Well Vane was kind of slimy cruel instead of the straight violent-renegade-that doesn't play by the rules-badass that the show represents.

ov
Jul 28, 2004
SEE THAT WET SPOT ON MY PANTS? WATCH ME MAKE UP A STORY ABOUT SPILLING A CASSEROLE

Tokubetsu posted:

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Xoidanor posted:

Except for one rogue time-traveling zippo lighter, yes.

Thanks. :)

• Locked thread