Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for the gobs. I'll have to look them up later tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
+1'ing that Shattergang Brothers is an extremely fun deck, more so if you make it a Goblin Tribal deck.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

jassi007 posted:

Never run removal or sweepers is a good start. Make sure to run a lot of high CMC junk. Minotaurs are pretty funny when they're all 3 and 4 drops. You lose a good amount of the time but sometimes you get 2 lords out and 2 or 3 big minotaurs and they can't deal with it anyway. Also really consider planeschase. The randomness of it helps even things out a lot. When a casual gets a 7/7 annihilator 1 and then the plane shifts, they become more of a threat because the dice helped them out basically. lastly bad tribal edh decks are great. Build RW giants brion stoutarm or something silly.

Yeah, the speed that EDH escalated among my friends was basically ridiculous. Our last game was just a terse wall of snippy targeted removals and blocks, coupled with everyone running Privileged Position/Sterling Grove/Asceticism and so on to make attacking each other pointless. It was won after 30 turns or so when someone finally managed to eke out an infinite.

It was in fact so irritating that I think we're all building goofy tribal theme decks as a result. I'm going Kithkin, at least one buddy is doing Treekin/Walls, and there will likely be a Goblins guy.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kilazar posted:

If you include Krenko, also include Goblin Assasin and invest in a lot of quarters.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Madmarker posted:

Johnny

Timmy

Spike

Melvin

Vorthos

Learn your magic psychographic profile, and you can use these tools to understand what other people get out of the game. I am a Spike/Melvin primarily.

I just learned about this and I am a Johnny/Vorthos, I think. :)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I NEED THIS CARD!

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
If you're interested in the psychographics, here's Maro's articles on them:

Timmy, Johnny, and Spike: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b
Timmy, Johnny, and Spike revisited: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr220b
Melvin and Vorthos: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr278

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

theironjef posted:

It was in fact so irritating that I think we're all building goofy tribal theme decks as a result. I'm going Kithkin, at least one buddy is doing Treekin/Walls, and there will likely be a Goblins guy.

You could make Treefolk, Cat, and Angel tribal decks and be just like LRR! :haw:

Actually I'd probably be down for Treefolk. I'd just spend the whole game making Macbeth and LotR references though.

Wait, would a Shakespeare themed deck be possible? I need to look into this.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Promoted Pawn posted:

You could make Treefolk, Cat, and Angel tribal decks and be just like LRR! :haw:

Actually I'd probably be down for Treefolk. I'd just spend the whole game making Macbeth and LotR references though.

Don't use Doran. We played EDH sat and Doran is such a bummer. I forgot my EDH deck so I was using Prosh pre-made, so I had to kill the Doran player first since he ruined my kobold eating dragon's fun. After I whacked him I then foolishly proclaimed I was going to destroy everyone else (I sac'd Prosh to Viscera to recast him for more kobolds), so they beat me before my next turn. I had swiftfoot boots out to give Prosh haste. I would have had 18 kobolds on board and finished off another player. :) The best part is the guy playing Mirko Vosk mill beat me then won by crushing Tajic since all his equipment was in the gy then exiled off my jund charm which one of his creatures let him cast from my GY? It was crazy.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

I NEED THIS CARD!

Goblin Assassin, Planar Chaos and Molten Birth. Just flippin coins for fun.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

OssiansFolly posted:

Goblin Assassin, Planar Chaos and Molten Birth. Just flippin coins for fun.

I have threatened to make a red/blue chaos deck. all the stupid weird red cards, possiblity storm and warp world and whatever other coin flipping nonsense, goblin test pilot etc etc. I'll just make it so nobody knows how the gently caress to play anymore.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Krenko => Goblin Assassin is the most insulting psuedo plague wind, especially if you flip all the coins at once and just make it rain on your LGS.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I have threatened to make a red/blue chaos deck. all the stupid weird red cards, possiblity storm and warp world and whatever other coin flipping nonsense, goblin test pilot etc etc. I'll just make it so nobody knows how the gently caress to play anymore.

A guy at my LGS runs an insane mono-red chaos deck with tons of ridiculous coin flip cards, but the win condition is Thieves' Auction. Basically, when it comes down to "This game is now a cube draft using all of our decks" almost everyone just scoops.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Deific Presence posted:

A guy at my LGS runs an insane mono-red chaos deck with tons of ridiculous coin flip cards, but the win condition is Thieves' Auction. Basically, when it comes down to "This game is now a cube draft using all of our decks" almost everyone just scoops.

I used to do that. I have never won more games without even coming close to an actual game-rules victory in my life. Even better if you are also running Brand (in case people let you resolve TA).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

jassi007 posted:

Don't use Doran. We played EDH sat and Doran is such a bummer. I forgot my EDH deck so I was using Prosh pre-made, so I had to kill the Doran player first since he ruined my kobold eating dragon's fun. After I whacked him I then foolishly proclaimed I was going to destroy everyone else (I sac'd Prosh to Viscera to recast him for more kobolds), so they beat me before my next turn. I had swiftfoot boots out to give Prosh haste. I would have had 18 kobolds on board and finished off another player. :) The best part is the guy playing Mirko Vosk mill beat me then won by crushing Tajic since all his equipment was in the gy then exiled off my jund charm which one of his creatures let him cast from my GY? It was crazy.

He's using Doran. I'm cool with it, because of Gaddock Teeg plus Limited Resources. Gonna play that looooong game.

Edit: Banned in Commander? Hogwash!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kilazar posted:

I really enjoyed Kiki-Jiki but it depends on whether you want a deck where the Commander is a goblin and you have some goblins or you want a "goblin deck." KJ has better uses than copying most goblins, though a few of them can win the game or make crazy value pretty quickly.

Favorite combo was Kiki-Jiki, Skirk Prospector, and Lightning Crafter. With some clever stack fuckery, you don't even need a fourth goblin for Crafter to champion.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

jassi007 posted:

I made a dude like table flipping made in a casual game doing this. He was like 'you need to take that deck and just.. just loving rip it up'. I had an Eye of the Storm out, with so many things on it, I think there were two Warp Worlds, a Goblin Game, a Terminus, and a Scrambleverse in there. It was also a 6 person multiplayer game. I think after 35 minutes of trying to resolve a couple of Scrambleverse's we just declared 'game broken'. It's a funny archetype but it can go way too far, especially with a lot of players involved.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Speaking of stupid gimmick decks, I used to play bant allies when I started playing (it was around the middle of Scars block, but since Zendikar was just so much more interesting, I mostly just got cards from that block instead), and yesterday I saw this video and decided I am going to now build me 5 color Allies in commander!

However, unlike McDarby, I plan on using Horde of Notions as a commander, since it, plus this thing:

Means I can cast all of my dead allies from my graveyard!

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I really enjoyed Kiki-Jiki but it depends on whether you want a deck where the Commander is a goblin and you have some goblins or you want a "goblin deck." KJ has better uses than copying most goblins, though a few of them can win the game or make crazy value pretty quickly.

Favorite combo was Kiki-Jiki, Skirk Prospector, and Lightning Crafter. With some clever stack fuckery, you don't even need a fourth goblin for Crafter to champion.

I have this combo in my deck and a few tutors. Demon tutor for goblin recruiter to put them all on top of my deck. :) Then use Skirk-Drill Sergeant to play them all asap.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Promoted Pawn posted:

I've been planning one for a while. Shakespeare doesn't have enough good cards to make a deck on his own, but if I make it a classical literature theme that gives me Urborg and Hypnotic Specter for a respectable blue/black deck.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I've been planning one for a while. Shakespeare doesn't have enough good cards to make a deck on his own, but if I make it a classical literature theme that gives me Urborg and Hypnotic Specter for a respectable blue/black deck.

God the new hypnotic specter art is so lovely

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

Spinal Villain

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

A big flaming stink posted:

God the new hypnotic specter art is so lovely

Look at this wrong opinion.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

jassi007 posted:

I have a U/R Melek deck that does this. I've shut entire games down with things like grip of chaos, portcullis, and sands of time. Those games get really weird really fast. Although portcullis does make ETB creatures pretty good if you eventually manage to kill the portcullis. Possibility storm just makes it even funnier if you can resolve it. Other notable enchantments are ice cave, dream halls, eye of the storm, hive mind, and zur's weirding. Be careful with that last one, some people will just make sure you never draw another card out of spite for the deck.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Look at this wrong opinion.

I thought this until I managed to track down black bordered ones. Makes a huge difference (like Wrath of God).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Jenx posted:

Speaking of stupid gimmick decks, I used to play bant allies when I started playing (it was around the middle of Scars block, but since Zendikar was just so much more interesting, I mostly just got cards from that block instead), and yesterday I saw this video and decided I am going to now build me 5 color Allies in commander!

However, unlike McDarby, I plan on using Horde of Notions as a commander, since it, plus this thing:

Means I can cast all of my dead allies from my graveyard!

Kick Rite of Replication on Hagra Diabolist, kill everyone else instantly.

Each Diabolist detects either five allies entering, or itself and four allies entering. Each Diabolist sees six allies on the board when triggers start resolving. 6 Diabolists x 5 triggers x 6 life loss each = 180 life loss in 6-point increments, distribute to targetable opponents as necessary.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
The best Goblin Deck Commander is Purphoros.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Re: FTV: Annihilation

This one's going to be as boring as FTV: Legends was, isn't it?

EDIT: I guess they'll reprint Damnation and pretend that will satisfy the demand for reprints :downs:

Star Man fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 10, 2014

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Is there any FTV that isnt worth at least 30% more than MSRP? Because I think I can get them at MSRP at my local store this time around.

(Of course, I still have money tied up in 2 FTV: Exiled because I don't wanna eBay them and nobody wants to buy them in person.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kabanaw posted:

If you're interested in the psychographics, here's Maro's articles on them:

Timmy, Johnny, and Spike: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b
Timmy, Johnny, and Spike revisited: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr220b
Melvin and Vorthos: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr278

Also check out Maro's podcast, he has a psychographics episode where he gets into it a bit more.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Balon posted:

The best Goblin Deck Commander is Purphoros.

http://deckstats.net/decks/3554/64920-purphoros-commander

Ugh I hate people that use Gods for Commanders.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

OssiansFolly posted:

Ugh I hate people that use Gods for Commanders.

It's no different from using any other degenerate legendary dude.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mikujin posted:

It's no different from using any other degenerate legendary dude.

Unless I've missed something, none of the gods should be even on the radar when it comes to degenerate commanders.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

JerryLee posted:

Unless I've missed something, none of the gods should be even on the radar when it comes to degenerate commanders.
Some people whine about them because they're hard to remove :qq: but they don't even realize that they're pretty useless unless you get devotion, anyway.

I'd rather go up against some janky God-Commander deck than, like, Azusa or whatever other FotM commander is going around.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!
I play purphoros because I don't really like edh and I just want to murder people asap. It's actually a reasonably strong deck of you aren't in a meta with a lot of counter magic

I also play blood moon and ruination for added non fun.

Jimmy Jazz fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mehall posted:

Is there any FTV that isnt worth at least 30% more than MSRP? Because I think I can get them at MSRP at my local store this time around.

(Of course, I still have money tied up in 2 FTV: Exiled because I don't wanna eBay them and nobody wants to buy them in person.)

Realms is the cheapest one and it's double MSRP more or less

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

To be honest, Xenagos is the first red green general that I'm actually straight up interested in. I mean, he's not horrifically powerful, but he generally strikes me as a lot of fun to mess with.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mikujin posted:

Some people whine about them because they're hard to remove :qq: but they don't even realize that they're pretty useless unless you get devotion, anyway.

I'd rather go up against some janky God-Commander deck than, like, Azusa or whatever other FotM commander is going around.

Purph has only been a creature 3 or 4 times ever while playing that deck, and my creatures rarely attack anyways. Consistent turn 5/6/7 kills!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shut up about commanders, I just hit 10 complete EDH decks and I'm trying to stop. Don't make me want Xenagod, don't do it.

edit: For the record, my current tally is:

Krenko
Talrand
Mirko Vosk
Sliver Overlord
Mimeoplasm
Melek
Varolz
Prossh precon
Marath precon
And of course, my baby, Omnath

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Mikujin posted:

When you're playing purphoros, you really don't want him to be a creature. They are annoying to remove, but not that hard.

• Locked thread