Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
You know, I've known people who've been through major wars and disasters and stuff when they were adolescents and they did not treat their parents like that whatsoever. He's being a brat. The kid is 13. If he was like sixteen seventeen I could see him challenging rick but he's like still real tiny.

He's been messed up by Shane. I don't think it's a given that a teenager would be that cruel to his father as he dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

You know, I've known people who've been through major wars and disasters and stuff when they were adolescents and they did not treat their parents like that whatsoever. He's being a brat. The kid is 13. If he was like sixteen seventeen I could see him challenging rick but he's like still real tiny.

He's been messed up by Shane. I don't think it's a given that a teenager would be that cruel to his father as he dies

9\10 kids from Sierra Leone agree that Carl's body size does not let him accurately depict adolescent ptsd.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I mean I guess his behavior is within the realm of possibility but it's not like a biological given that teens are that retarded and mean in emergency situations

Anyways Shane kind of came back through Carl for a while

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

xxEightxx posted:

9\10 kids from Sierra Leone agree that Carl's body size does not let him accurately depict adolescent ptsd.

I missed the part where Carl was captured by a Sierra Leone warlord and force fed cocaine at gunpoint

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

I missed the part where Carl was captured by a Sierra Leone warlord and force fed cocaine at gunpoint

Warlord = shoe stealing zombie
Cocaine = pudding

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One source of Carl's angst was that Rick just spent how long learning to become a farmer and didn't participate in any sort of activity that embraced the reality of the situation and even actively discouraged training to cope with the situation. Carl thinks Rick retreated from the world and didn't follow through with finishing the business with the Governor. It's not hard to think that all that rushed through his head after he got over the initial shock over the attack.

Maybe it's because I marathoned the first half of the season on Sunday leading up to the premiere (never got around to watching it in the fall), but Carl's progression didn't seem all that jarring to me.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yo so am I the only one who noticed the sweet-rear end Cartoon But In Real Life Zombie

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Babe Magnet posted:

Yo so am I the only one who noticed the sweet-rear end Cartoon But In Real Life Zombie

I noticed him, one of the better zombie makeup jobs right there.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Oh my god, WHO WILL OPEN THE WINE?!?!?!?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

fullroundaction posted:

They do use the word zombie, but for some reason goons keep saying they don't (I guess just to piss me off :mad:)

Cool, thanks. Didn't know that!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xxEightxx posted:

I got the distinct feeling she knew exactly what she was doing and it wasnt an accident or circumstance that she was surrounded.

Same - she realized that the utility was no longer worth it, because the two walkers were just going to stick to the growing 'herd,' and unlike her, they were just going to keep on walking. She might be a Ninja Superwoman, but she's gotta sleep sometime.

...and it's not like she couldn't just do it again whenever she likes - there isn't a shortage of walkers.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I thought she freaked out because she saw a zombie that looked like her.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I thought she freaked out because she couldnt go back to her only company being the dead thus why she ran back immediately to follow the tracks for the company of the living.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 11, 2014

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Tim Jong-un posted:

I thought she freaked out because she couldnt go back to her only company being the dead.

This. She realized she can't go back to her nomadic lifestyle she had pre-Andrea. She realized she needs people now. She realized if she stayed this course she would end up like that walker that looked like her.

So she killed the walkers and went back to the tracks in the mud she saw earlier in the episode but chose to pass. And this time she followed them and ended up tracking down Rick and Carl.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

I think it's pretty funny that Michone's zombie on a leash thing has been proven to work perfectly twice but nobody else has tried it and they didn't string up a bunch of jawless zombies at the perimeter of the prison even though their smell clearly covers human scent.

I don't get how its supposed to work, if zombies are fooled by the scent of other zombies then only lone walkers would be any kind of threat...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't get how its supposed to work, if zombies are fooled by the scent of other zombies then only lone walkers would be any kind of threat...

I think it's more that they tend to go with groups, hence the herding. Alone a walker will be more curious, in a group they tend to be more, well, zombiefied. If Michonne got crazy around a walker it would notice her (as they all did once she started fighting) but while she is walking like a walker with other walkers they will just assume she's one of them.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
I've come to the horrible conclusion that the show is now really poo poo. And I loved the Governor stuff in the previous season.

It seems we're at the :effort: "blandly stretch out the premise - because we are out of ideas" portion of the shows tenure.

Michonne is awesome, but the dream sequence was pointless. The scene where she went from an emotionless "keep children away from me" hard-rear end to clutching the child in that previous episode told me about a billion things more than the dream sequence did.

COOOOORLE is cool, but I don't need to see scene after scene of them searching houses and shops with the obligatory jump scares.

You know what's interesting?, mixing it the gently caress up with new situations and moral conundrums. It doesn't even nessesarily need to be action.

Done well, a small city of people who have [insert secret/issue] would completely change the dynamics of the show for a season because we (the viewers) can contrast it with our own lives. And sure you destroy the city at the end because we can't have our protagonists getting too comfortable.

Or you have a successful xenophobic foreign encampment on American soil that they're not letting anybody into. And at least wait 7 episodes before the leader is revealed as a moustache-twirling villain.

Or maybe a second breed of Zombies that differ in some way from the shamblers in that they can run, climb, or lock onto one person and stalk them for eternity or anything else.

Bah.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

spikenigma posted:

Michonne is awesome, but the dream sequence was pointless. The scene where she went from an emotionless "keep children away from me" hard-rear end to clutching the child in that previous episode told me about a billion things more than the dream sequence did.

The dream sequence - in combination with her monologue, her reaction to Judith and one conversation she had with Andrea last season - tell us that her husband and his friend lost hope and came up with a murder-suicide plot to "opt out", first victim of which was their son. It also explains why she was dragging them along as her mutilated undead slaves in the first place: as a form of punishment for said murder-suicide plot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

But what happened to the Hyundai?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Lord, may you never have teenagers if this is what you think. You are in for a shock.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Andrew Verse posted:

The dream sequence - in combination with her monologue, her reaction to Judith and one conversation she had with Andrea last season - tell us that her husband and his friend lost hope and came up with a murder-suicide plot to "opt out", first victim of which was their son. It also explains why she was dragging them along as her mutilated undead slaves in the first place: as a form of punishment for said murder-suicide plot.

I get that. But I don't think the son was part of the murder-suicide though and probably died by accident or from a related issue.

Because as she told Andrea (from what I can remember), what happened was "not his fault". And she talks to him - which you sort of wouldn't do if they killed your son.

spikenigma fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 11, 2014

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Andrew Verse posted:

her husband and his friend lost hope and came up with a murder-suicide plot to "opt out", first victim of which was their son.

Wait, what? (I had real trouble understanding what the two mushmouth dudes were saying in the dream sequence. I'm guessing I missed a vital part of their dialog.)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

rypakal posted:

Wait, what? (I had real trouble understanding what the two mushmouth dudes were saying in the dream sequence. I'm guessing I missed a vital part of their dialog.)

There was a bit about "What's the point of living? For us or my son?" and then later Michonne in the bar was talking about how he was wrong for what he did because she was still alive and they could have been too.

Sometimes it feels like most people don't actually listen to what's going on in this drat show (no offense to you.)

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

spikenigma posted:

I've come to the horrible conclusion that the show is now really poo poo. And I loved the Governor stuff in the previous season.
You could always not watch it.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Surlaw posted:

You could always not watch it.

Last season was awesome.

I just can't take the chance that they'll pull something awesome off. :ohdear:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Stairs posted:

There was a bit about "What's the point of living? For us or my son?" and then later Michonne in the bar was talking about how he was wrong for what he did because she was still alive and they could have been too.

Sometimes it feels like most people don't actually listen to what's going on in this drat show (no offense to you.)

I was listening closely. Those men didn't know how to open their mouths.

Dr.Cthulhu
Jan 19, 2005

Earache! Earache!
Cthulhu Fatigue!

Babe Magnet posted:

That zombie is a homage to the Jack Goodman character in American Werewolf In London with makeup by Rick Baker!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A pretty meandering episode. The Michonne stuff was a little better than the stupid things Carl was doing. It still feels to me like they could have condensed the episode more and folded it into another. I guess they're going to do this group split action for awhile? I hope more is going on with the bigger group.

I'm also not sure how Rick was able to stay on his feet for that long after getting that beating. I never thought he would make it to that house under his own power.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Maybe Carl wouldn't fall down so much if he had some protein in his diet rather than two gallons of chocolate pudding :mad:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

rypakal posted:

Lord, may you never have teenagers if this is what you think. You are in for a shock.

Hm, maybe it's a cultural thing. Flipping out on your dad as he's dying is pretty ice cold

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Dr.Cthulhu posted:

That zombie is a homage to the Jack Goodman character in American Werewolf In London with makeup by Rick Baker!

So it is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kids' minds aren't developed like adults' are. They are literally sub-human monsters. Carl can't separate the rage and frustration of potentially losing a parent from that parent. He was an rear end in a top hat at Rick because he was dying. It was probably some of the most realistic writing the show has had, but that doesn't always make great television.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I blame the hat

Buddington
Feb 20, 2010
So there will be a "surprise cast member" on talking dead this week. Death pool odds, anyone?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gently caress yeah, I knew there was a reason why that one zombie that got a second of screen time off in the corner had way different makeup than the rest of them. I couldn't place the reference for the life of me, though.

I liked the episode, but I don't really like Carl right now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Carl's had like 3 parents die on him. Lori, Shane and Hershel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So have I, but you don't see me hogging all the chocolate pudding.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Buddington posted:

So there will be a "surprise cast member" on talking dead this week. Death pool odds, anyone?

The smart money is on Glenn

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Maggie just lost someone close, so I think Beth and Glen are safe for now. And there ARE three black main characters at this point. Sadly, I'm betting on one of my Wire bros. Let's lock in with Tyreese, since Bob's ratmania still might have to come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
My guess is Sasha.

• Locked thread